First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Seat-belt laws! Is it against are freedom as American citizens?
4294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 8/19/09

Gaia93 wrote:

You people make me wonder sometimes...and not in a good way.

How is it tyrannical? Seat belts are supposed to be worn for a reason. They're doing it to protect you, how is it taking away any rights? It's the law.

Besides, who wants a ticket? Let alone dying for that matter.

Should probably lock this thread, but I'll keep it open to see if anyone can actually have an intelligent debate without going off topic and insulting each other. Which I doubt.

~Comments Deleted

Is it me, or are people ignoring what the heck I just said. Stay on topic. That's 1 warning.


your not getting what hes trying to say.He wants the RIGHT to harm himself and not be protected by the government.its the law that is telling him whats best for him and not letting him choose it for himself. Shouldnt he have the right to die in a crash without his belt on if he wants to? is it against the law to harm yourself if your not hurting ne one else? people who smoke harm themselves and other people (second hand smoke), but the government doesnt make it illegal.seat belts r the same way. not wearing a seatbelt only hurts the user, so why must the governmet come in and protect people from themselves? thats what makes it tyrannical, a right to die is still a right.(hope it wasnt to confusing :sweatingbullets:) peace over war
Posted 8/19/09

JJT2 wrote:


Gaia93 wrote:

You people make me wonder sometimes...and not in a good way.

How is it tyrannical? Seat belts are supposed to be worn for a reason. They're doing it to protect you, how is it taking away any rights? It's the law.

Besides, who wants a ticket? Let alone dying for that matter.

Should probably lock this thread, but I'll keep it open to see if anyone can actually have an intelligent debate without going off topic and insulting each other. Which I doubt.

~Comments Deleted

Is it me, or are people ignoring what the heck I just said. Stay on topic. That's 1 warning.


your not getting what hes trying to say.He wants the RIGHT to harm himself and not be protected by the government.its the law that is telling him whats best for him and not letting him choose it for himself. Shouldnt he have the right to die in a crash without his belt on if he wants to? is it against the law to harm yourself if your not hurting ne one else? people who smoke harm themselves and other people (second hand smoke), but the government doesnt make it illegal.seat belts r the same way. not wearing a seatbelt only hurts the user, so why must the governmet come in and protect people from themselves? thats what makes it tyrannical, a right to die is still a right.(hope it wasnt to confusing :sweatingbullets:) peace over war


Whichever way I read it, it's still idiotic.
1687 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43
Offline
Posted 8/27/09

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

Seat-belt laws! Is it against are freedom as American citizens?


How I see it the Seat-Belt Law is a tyrannical laws forcing us into doing something that does not harm others. What rights do they have to force a person to where a seat-belt.
At that I can understand having a seat-belt law for kids under the age of lets say 13 or so. But after that it should be up to the person driving if he she wants to wear a seat-belt, and same for the kids (unless mother tells them to.)
I think the seat belt law is just evidence that Government had gotten to big and is now forcing there Ideals of the American Public. Wen In-fact America was made on the bases people put there will on the government not the other way around.
'The government does not have the right to control are everyday lives wen we are not harming other people. This goes agents are freedoms as American citizens.


it has to do with liability and responsibility......what would happen if you didnt wear the seatbelt and got into an car accident, because you werent wearing any seat belt, your head went through the windshield, and received severe cuts and head injuries. the cause of the accident was caused by the other driver, and other driver is not injured because he/she was wearing the seatbelt, would you sue that driver for your injury, or just chaulk it up as a loss, because you were practicing your rights? at this time and age, too many people are sue happy, and are too happy to go to the court to squeeze as much money out of other person s possible without takinhg any personal responsiliies.
1288 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
A small place in...
Offline
Posted 8/27/09

redfinger1 wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

Seat-belt laws! Is it against are freedom as American citizens?


How I see it the Seat-Belt Law is a tyrannical laws forcing us into doing something that does not harm others. What rights do they have to force a person to where a seat-belt.
At that I can understand having a seat-belt law for kids under the age of lets say 13 or so. But after that it should be up to the person driving if he she wants to wear a seat-belt, and same for the kids (unless mother tells them to.)
I think the seat belt law is just evidence that Government had gotten to big and is now forcing there Ideals of the American Public. Wen In-fact America was made on the bases people put there will on the government not the other way around.
'The government does not have the right to control are everyday lives wen we are not harming other people. This goes agents are freedoms as American citizens.


it has to do with liability and responsibility......what would happen if you didnt wear the seatbelt and got into an car accident, because you werent wearing any seat belt, your head went through the windshield, and received severe cuts and head injuries. the cause of the accident was caused by the other driver, and other driver is not injured because he/she was wearing the seatbelt, would you sue that driver for your injury, or just chaulk it up as a loss, because you were practicing your rights? at this time and age, too many people are sue happy, and are too happy to go to the court to squeeze as much money out of other person s possible without takinhg any personal responsiliies.


I guess its our right if we wanna wear a seatbelt or not but if you don't wear your seatbelt you will end up worrying your friends, family and loved ones, What happen if god forbids you got into an accident.and you didn't wear your seatbelt and you died or probably survive but have crippling injuries.

It WILL BREAK THE HEART OF THOSE who care about you. If you are not gonna do it for yourself or the government, do it for those who care about you. Seat-Belt Law does saves lives and its certainly welcome.
4557 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bermuda Triangle
Offline
Posted 8/27/09

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

Seat-belt laws! Is it against are freedom as American citizens?


How I see it the Seat-Belt Law is a tyrannical laws forcing us into doing something that does not harm others. What rights do they have to force a person to where a seat-belt.
At that I can understand having a seat-belt law for kids under the age of lets say 13 or so. But after that it should be up to the person driving if he she wants to wear a seat-belt, and same for the kids (unless mother tells them to.)
I think the seat belt law is just evidence that Government had gotten to big and is now forcing there Ideals of the American Public. Wen In-fact America was made on the bases people put there will on the government not the other way around.
'The government does not have the right to control are everyday lives wen we are not harming other people. This goes agents are freedoms as American citizens.


I find this to be one of the more weirder topics but hey it's cool.

First, we have to understand what the government means by freedom as it was laid out in the Bill of Rights since that's where our "freedom" rights are laid out. I'm not going to post them all but here's a link
http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#Am1
So basically in these Bill of Rights, our citizen rights of "freedom" are laid out but other than that, everything else is in the state laws or is subject for question. So when it comes to seat belts, we can yell about it all we want with our freedom of speech but a bark is not a bite so if we break the law it makes no difference, we are criminals no matter who we are because we broke the law.

-----------------------------------

You know it's funny freedom of speech as it was laid out in the first amendment apparently doesn't mean what it seems to be implied by most people; either that or the government is just exercising it's political power. Two elemetary school kids were sent home and kicked out of school permanently for wearing shirts saying, "Islam is of the devil". The school sent them home because the shirt apparently would have provoked and offended people. The kids were wearing it because the church they went to made those shirts and intended for people to wear them.

Honestly it makes me frown when people act stupid but what the question that came out of this was, where does the government draw the line on free speech? People can walk around with satanic shirts on and not get busted which is odd because it's equally offensive to the opposition, it's that just most people have been desensitized since these kinds of shirts have been worn more frequently. Much like how people rioted on gas prices when they went up and now people don't really care anymore whether or not they are rising. So why was the shirt saying, "Islam of the devil" an exception?
4032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / New York
Offline
Posted 8/28/09 , edited 8/28/09
Dude, if you want to die so badly, go ahead. The government is doing this for your own good. no wait, for the good of the idiots who don't wear safety belts provided for them

Please, open your eyes and see that the government is stuck between a rock and a hard place with that decision.
Yeah, America is built on a base that spells freedom. Freedom this freedom that.
But obviously they weighed freedom and life and I guess they are smart enough to see that life out weighs your imaginary freedom way more

I don't know what else to say... except... people who don't wear seat belts = the idiot that refuses to be saved on the verge of death because of stubbornness.
If you are one of the smart ones that knows to put on your life saving seat belt, you need not worry about the law; however, if you are complaining about it, that means you are one of the idiots searching for the door to death.

I don't understand why people complain about a law that saves lives...
Be glad the government is nice enough to think about the idiots in the world.


JJT2 wrote:
your not getting what hes trying to say.He wants the RIGHT to harm himself and not be protected by the government.its the law that is telling him whats best for him and not letting him choose it for himself. Shouldnt he have the right to die in a crash without his belt on if he wants to? is it against the law to harm yourself if your not hurting ne one else? people who smoke harm themselves and other people (second hand smoke), but the government doesnt make it illegal.seat belts r the same way. not wearing a seatbelt only hurts the user, so why must the governmet come in and protect people from themselves? thats what makes it tyrannical, a right to die is still a right.(hope it wasnt to confusing :sweatingbullets:) peace over war


no buddy, if the idiot driver chooses not to wear a seat belt and dies in a car crash, it will haunt the other guy involved for life.
Imagine you got into a crash and the other guy died because of it; I bet you won't be able to have a peace of mind as long as you live.
and why is that? because that idiot "chooses" to not wear a seat belt and toy with life and death.
stupidity hurts, not the one that is stupid, but the people around. k


Gaia93 wrote:


Whichever way I read it, it's still idiotic.


I agree. too bad there is no cure for stupidity.
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 8/29/09 , edited 8/29/09

swtcakes wrote:

Dude, if you want to die so badly, go ahead. The government is doing this for your own good. no wait, for the good of the idiots who don't wear safety belts provided for them

Please, open your eyes and see that the government is stuck between a rock and a hard place with that decision.
Yeah, America is built on a base that spells freedom. Freedom this freedom that.
But obviously they weighed freedom and life and I guess they are smart enough to see that life out weighs your imaginary freedom way more

I don't know what else to say... except... people who don't wear seat belts = the idiot that refuses to be saved on the verge of death because of stubbornness.
If you are one of the smart ones that knows to put on your life saving seat belt, you need not worry about the law; however, if you are complaining about it, that means you are one of the idiots searching for the door to death.

I don't understand why people complain about a law that saves lives...
Be glad the government is nice enough to think about the idiots in the world.


JJT2 wrote:
your not getting what hes trying to say.He wants the RIGHT to harm himself and not be protected by the government.its the law that is telling him whats best for him and not letting him choose it for himself. Shouldnt he have the right to die in a crash without his belt on if he wants to? is it against the law to harm yourself if your not hurting ne one else? people who smoke harm themselves and other people (second hand smoke), but the government doesnt make it illegal.seat belts r the same way. not wearing a seatbelt only hurts the user, so why must the governmet come in and protect people from themselves? thats what makes it tyrannical, a right to die is still a right.(hope it wasnt to confusing :sweatingbullets:) peace over war


no buddy, if the idiot driver chooses not to wear a seat belt and dies in a car crash, it will haunt the other guy involved for life.
Imagine you got into a crash and the other guy died because of it; I bet you won't be able to have a peace of mind as long as you live.
and why is that? because that idiot "chooses" to not wear a seat belt and toy with life and death.
stupidity hurts, not the one that is stupid, but the people around. k


Gaia93 wrote:


Whichever way I read it, it's still idiotic.


I agree. too bad there is no cure for stupidity.




So in your Opinion people should not be able to ride bikes or motorbikes, because they wreck your going to be a bloody mess on the road. So there should be a law agents that as well in your opinion. YOU just said that in your own words too JJT2 that it would haunt the others involved in the wreck.
I have news for you bud, most humans are not that weak minded, and those that are and would be haunted by such a thing would have been Haunted by the car wreck it self, and so makes no difference.

You also should try working more on your post and less on the name calling.

4032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / New York
Offline
Posted 8/29/09 , edited 8/29/09


lol I don't know what you're talking about? when did I mention riding bikes or motorcycles?
I'm only saying people should be grateful that the government actually cares about your life, especially the idiots.
O wait, does that word offend you? well in my opinion, anyone that complains about a law that is meant to save them is an idiot.
shall I censor my post and remove the word idiot? hm... nah I'm too lazy. let a mod do it if they please

[edit] there are laws to wear helmets when riding your motorcycle, but I bet some people that wants to be cool wouldn't want to wear one =)
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 8/29/09 , edited 8/29/09


No I agree You should wear your seat belt. But in the same Time I do not go around spouting half ass crap about how others are retarded because you do not think a person should have the right to choose to wear one or not. What I was talking about is the fact that Bikes do Not have seat belts, and if they rec the chances you live is slimmer than a person in a car without a seat belt. So tell me how you can be a hypocrite wen it comes to cars but not other forms of transportation?
On another note I was getting at that if you think we should have to wear seat belts than how can you condone other forms of transportation that is more dangerous than a car with no driver in a seat belt. Just think about that before you give another one of your opinions without looking at the bigger picture.

4032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / New York
Offline
Posted 8/29/09 , edited 8/29/09


I think you're getting off topic here. Bikes have no seat belts, true, but so what? I'm talking about cars.
There's a reason for helmet laws for bikes. but anyway, the topic at hand here are cars and seat belts, since no one invented seat belts for other types of transportation yet =).

By the way, don't put words in my mouth. I never said anything about retards.
There's a difference between idiots and retards.
I believe the word retard is more offensive than idiots, so please don't use that word when trying to paraphrase my post.
If you agree with me, then you need not worry about the seat belt law, because I believe it exists solely for the purpose of idiots.
oh and, of course you have the right to choose to wear a seat belt or not. You'll just get fined if you don't; afterall, it is god who grants us free will, not the government. The government is simply trying to remind idiots of what they should be doing when driving, so it makes no sense for anyone to be complaining about this law that saves lives.

And yea, I get your point. You want the right to die in an accident if you choose, right?
It makes sense to a certain degree, but just look at it in another perspective.
The government is doing you a favor, and you turn around and bite 'em in the behind for being considerate.
Sounds like something a rebellious teenager would do huh?

and please, end of discussion. This quote bubble thing is getting way too long, and no matter how many times you try to argue, the result is the same. You think people should have the right to die if they choose, and I think people should be grateful that they are being saved at the cost of a little freedom afterall, what does freedom mean when you're dead?
516 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Florida
Offline
Posted 9/30/09
I have to agree with you (yay, I think it's the first time ). I think forcing seatbelts on people is takin away their freedom. People, considered mature, so around the age of 18, should be able to decide about their own lives. After all, they live for themselves, not to pay taxes for government
I wear seatbelts myself, because they make me feel safe, but I think people should have right to be responsible for themselves. Forcing such laws on people is treating them like ignorant kids.
5137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAA...
Offline
Posted 9/30/09
dark uses b trollin ahgin lol
4663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / In the shadows......
Offline
Posted 9/30/09
Asking if seatbelt laws go against American freedom is like asking why drinking and driving is illegal. People sometimes break these rules, but they have to pay the price when they get in a serious car accident, or potentially get killed. Even if these laws didn't exist, what good would come from it? People would be getting killed left and right, and the people who are getting affected by these incidents would pressure Congress into passing safety laws so that these incidents would be prevented. Therefore, the outcome would be the same.
THESE LAWS EXIST FOR OUR SAFETY AND WELLBEING!!! Enough said.
Posted 9/30/09
*Dang it I accidentally undo back to page and lost 4 paragraphs...............making this shorter*

Ok ok it does make me thing about the law, but why do people keep complaining about wearing seat belt would take away their freedom?

Anyway, the government enforced the safety belt laws so that the people will reduce injuries and be more safe. Of course, it take away freedom, make us follow more rules, and in my economical "opinion," they earned money.

What happen if you didn't put your seat-belt on and you got caught? You probably pay the fine? To who? Your money go to the government and its, "Cha-Ching," to them. Remember that in Democracy we demand the government to give people rights, and no government involvement. The government did involve, so either we still Democracy, or we are getting closer to Socialism. And the more laws they make, the more, "Cha-Ching," they get (The more money they get).

First of all, the government already interfere with our rights and we want the government to handle it, respectfully. However, they didn't and we end up blaming the government. Remember that the government/government's system is separated by certain groups, so if one group failed/mislead, then we blame the whole government anyway.

What about the people? When we bought them cool-looking awesome cars, we enjoyed driving. However, there are people who used vehicles to cause problems to people and properties. I believed such problems made the government enforce the safety-belt law. Some people complains the crazy drivers are idiots, and they should not be forced to follow safety-belt laws just because someone causes problem. Maybe the government blame the whole public for "failure to cooperative with positive driving?" or other reasons.

Whenever we want the government to deal with problems, they might and might not take some of our rights. Need some rights to make certain laws more efficient? Or certain laws as an excuse for profit/reasons? I don't know. My brother or sister hit the break hard like 2-4 times a year or 2. I might smack my face if it wasn't for seat belt (God they need more safety driving education). Against our freedom or not, I would gladly follow the law and wear seat-belt, whether it may save or kill me. I don't know whats so bad about wearing seat-belts, and whats so good about wearing no seat-belts. Comfortable? Our life are usually boring and tiring. We never travel or do fun adventures/dramas 80% of our times unless we are rich. I am against harsher laws btw.




First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.