When Your Favourite Manga Gets Licensed
519 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/25/09
Here's a scenario, you find a manga online and you start to try it because it looks good and with each chapter that you read you begin falling in love with the story. (so yay) Then soon, you find out that that series has been licensed. So would you still buy that series that you fell for even if its been licensed by a publisher( that you hate) or just buy it anyway. The reason I ask this is because most of my favorite series have been licensed in english but are being put out by a company with a bad reputation for not putting enough heart into releases and having plenty of flaws in quality control. Also stamping their name on the spine 2 times, which kind of shortens the art. What do you guys think? Have you guys had this kind of problem?
14003 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Planet Mato
Offline
Posted 8/25/09
I'm don't care as much if it gets liscenced I can still read it online anyways
4032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / New York
Offline
Posted 8/25/09
if it is licensed, but still available online, then I am ok with it. Honestly speaking, I much prefer fan subs/translations unless it contains a lot of grammatical / spelling errors lol.

if it is licensed and the fan translations are forced to be removed from the internet and I am not done with the manga... I would be pretty sad Because it would mean that I have to wait a long time for the legal english manga vols to catch up
34454 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Canada
Offline
Posted 8/25/09
if its licensed on "that" site. ill google another place to read it :p
5147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / NJ, USA
Offline
Posted 8/26/09

swtcakes wrote:

Honestly speaking, I much prefer fan subs/translations


Why's that?
4032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / New York
Offline
Posted 8/26/09

GuardianOMS wrote:


swtcakes wrote:

Honestly speaking, I much prefer fan subs/translations


Why's that?


because it is made by fans like myself =P lol
oh and also, many times in professional english translations, they add a lot of english phrases that does not exist in the Japanese language. Well it makes sense to use those if the definition is close to something said in Japanese, but I prefer a literal translation.
5147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / NJ, USA
Offline
Posted 8/26/09

swtcakes wrote:

because it is made by fans like myself =P lol
oh and also, many times in professional english translations, they add a lot of english phrases that does not exist in the Japanese language. Well it makes sense to use those if the definition is close to something said in Japanese, but I prefer a literal translation.


Um... you know that scanners do that too right? Most of them will use terms that they feel readers would understand. Its hardly EVER a literal translation because if it was, you wouldnt be able to understand it and/or reading it in the opposite way. Many if not all will switch up subjects and predicates so that the readers understand, its more dramatic, or it's just more sensible that way.

Whichever it is, that means it isnt a literal. I've seen loads of scanners that use phrases that werent in raws just so it's easier.
4032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / New York
Offline
Posted 8/26/09 , edited 8/26/09

GuardianOMS wrote:


swtcakes wrote:

because it is made by fans like myself =P lol
oh and also, many times in professional english translations, they add a lot of english phrases that does not exist in the Japanese language. Well it makes sense to use those if the definition is close to something said in Japanese, but I prefer a literal translation.


Um... you know that scanners do that too right? Most of them will use terms that they feel readers would understand. Its hardly EVER a literal translation because if it was, you wouldnt be able to understand it and/or reading it in the opposite way. Many if not all will switch up subjects and predicates so that the readers understand, its more dramatic, or it's just more sensible that way.

Whichever it is, that means it isnt a literal. I've seen loads of scanners that use phrases that werent in raws just so it's easier.


ah maybe that is true but when I watch anime with subs from fans, I see more literal translations when compared to the professional english subs.

haha... we're kinda getting off topic
5147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / NJ, USA
Offline
Posted 8/26/09 , edited 8/26/09

swtcakes wrote:

ah maybe that is true but when I watch anime with subs from fans, I see more literal translations when compared to the professional english subs.

haha... we're kinda getting off topic


Its just about the same when you don't consider that there are certain things you can't say when English dubbing or subbing. Plus when in anime, you have to add the fact that the literal translation may not fit in with the mouth flaps. So its not like they're changing it just to spite the fans, but because they have to.

Its fine, there wasnt much of a topic anyway. Its just someone looking for people to sympathize with him/her. There will always be ppl out there breaking the law and still subbing and posting them, and you dont have to buy something if you don't like the company. Not much of a discussion.
519 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/26/09
Suddenly this just turned into a thread about fansubs and scanlations. lol. Oh and you guys don't have to answer if there's not much to talk about. I'm just asking if people have the same problem as me. So a simple yes or no is just fine. ^___^
Kiki's Customer Support Service
Kiki 
100408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Nova Scotia
Offline
Posted 8/26/09
If it's licensed, then go to another site. Unless you really want to own the manga.
Anyway, thread's kind of pointless and a personal.

~Locked
You must be logged in to post.