First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Help improve the Forums!
3287 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Miami or L.A.
Offline
Posted 12/29/07

torerling wrote:

Ach mein gott! I guess people are to lazy to read the last posts, anyone that agrees, of course not, 'cause this ain't getting read because people doesn't care, don't you get it, if you don't care enough to read others posts here, why should we bother to read yours that doesn't say sh*t?


Ya i know what your saying here. I like how its a discussion and then in between are peopling going "ya i agree." and leaving it at that. If only threads/topics displayed the first post and then went backwards from there. That would be a world's difference
Posted 12/29/07

lovey_21 wrote:
Okay, I'm only going to say this once. Torerling, stop lecturing people how to post. People do know how to read and obviously they've read doom's post. So there's no need to get irritated by people who doesn't know how to post. We should just learn how to respect each other and don't point out their mistakes. It's rude. Sure, you're right about useless post, but I'm pretty sure that you've posted useless things too. I have and I admit that.

OK OK OK here we go again, this whole thread is dedicated to discussing how to post, if you don't like it, just close your eyes and do something else, and is there really no background to get a littlebit frustrated? I don't see how it's rude to point out peoples mistakes, I get happy every time anyone does it here, and do you know why? I get a chance again to think over if what I say is something that I can stand for. And I get the chance to again try to get to what I was meaning. If you find me posting useless things send me a pm and I'll be happy to edit or mark the post for deletion, it would take some time to read my posts though, since I tend to write a bit I have my wrongs and my rights, mostly wrongs, but when it comes to discussion boards I daresay I have my share of experience, I don't say that I ain't wrong, I just say that this is the way to get it to work if we actually want to have a discussion forum and not just a place where you have some kind of primitive poll where you have to count the votes for yourselves.


lovey_21 wrote:
You need to understand something, people will say whatever they want where ever they want and who ever they want to say it to.

I know this perfectly well, but I repost it so you can read it yourself ;)


lovey_21 wrote:
Even if it small talk or a whole crap of lecture. It's not going to change how they post. Maybe some will change how they post, but not all. So don't expect ALL cr members to follow these rules because I know they won't.

How do you know, are you a psychic? I just don't get why it started to be this way, and at least people should remember the rules just 4 seconds to make their post here? or is that too much to demand?
Hope this didn't become too much for you guys to read...


Pezcollector wrote:
Ya i know what your saying here. I like how its a discussion and then in between are peopling going "ya i agree." and leaving it at that. If only threads/topics displayed the first post and then went backwards from there. That would be a world's difference

I'm happy that someone agrees Yeah I guess it could make a difference
631 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Puerto Rico... i...
Offline
Posted 12/29/07

yOyOng_08 wrote:

this should stop spammers making stupid forum topics just to earn a lot of points...

Hmm u are right. I thought that point thing is stupid too in a way cuz it has almost no use and some idiots use em to show up. Oh and if it helps just put photos on ur profile like a retard. It makes ur points go up and u dont bother any1. Eventually start deleting the pics when u get mo pts ^^ i did that but i deleted most of em already cuz of all friend posts but yeah. Dont clog the forums just pics like hell and talk to peaople u wanna talk to in their profiles. Not in a forum.




torerling wrote:


lovey_21 wrote:
Okay, I'm only going to say this once. Torerling, stop lecturing people how to post. People do know how to read and obviously they've read doom's post. So there's no need to get irritated by people who doesn't know how to post. We should just learn how to respect each other and don't point out their mistakes. It's rude. Sure, you're right about useless post, but I'm pretty sure that you've posted useless things too. I have and I admit that.

OK OK OK here we go again, this whole thread is dedicated to discussing how to post, if you don't like it, just close your eyes and do something else, and is there really no background to get a littlebit frustrated? I don't see how it's rude to point out peoples mistakes, I get happy every time anyone does it here, and do you know why? I get a chance again to think over if what I say is something that I can stand for. And I get the chance to again try to get to what I was meaning. If you find me posting useless things send me a pm and I'll be happy to edit or mark the post for deletion, it would take some time to read my posts though, since I tend to write a bit I have my wrongs and my rights, mostly wrongs, but when it comes to discussion boards I daresay I have my share of experience, I don't say that I ain't wrong, I just say that this is the way to get it to work if we actually want to have a discussion forum and not just a place where you have some kind of primitive poll where you have to count the votes for yourselves.


lovey_21 wrote:
You need to understand something, people will say whatever they want where ever they want and who ever they want to say it to.

I know this perfectly well, but I repost it so you can read it yourself ;)


lovey_21 wrote:
Even if it small talk or a whole crap of lecture. It's not going to change how they post. Maybe some will change how they post, but not all. So don't expect ALL cr members to follow these rules because I know they won't.

How do you know, are you a psychic? I just don't get why it started to be this way, and at least people should remember the rules just 4 seconds to make their post here? or is that too much to demand?
Hope this didn't become too much for you guys to read...


Pezcollector wrote:
Ya i know what your saying here. I like how its a discussion and then in between are peopling going "ya i agree." and leaving it at that. If only threads/topics displayed the first post and then went backwards from there. That would be a world's difference

I'm happy that someone agrees Yeah I guess it could make a difference

oooh sorry for double posting but i was curious how do ya quote so many times in 1 message? i can only do it once. Do ya edit? thats my best guess

6212 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / US
Offline
Posted 12/29/07
Its funny, the forum is getting so bad that we have multiple intro type things around.
Now we have something that gives the absolute basics. That this is warranted is sad, but it seems the absolute basics bear explaining to many people on CR.

Doomaid stated that something needs to be done, and I hope people get the main point:
This forum is a place for discussion.
If you do not add value to the discussions you are not welcome here.


But, no. Thats not what we get. What do we get?
An article that politely asks members to make the forums better.
Hah

I appreciate the effort, but my money is on this doing little good.
People should be smitten like there is no tomorrow.
Posted 12/29/07

snestor wrote:
oooh sorry for double posting but i was curious how do ya quote so many times in 1 message? i can only do it once. Do ya edit? thats my best guess


Hehe, I'll teach you the trick when you click the qoute button and get up the textbox, take a good notice of the first and last lines, the first being something like
(quote)(user)snestor(/user) wrote: (with brackets instead of paranthesis)
you just copy this line and you can start to separate your answer, this opens a new qoutebox, then at the end you see the (/quote) (again with brackets) and that closes the box

What I do when I want to quote multiple people is that I write the first quote and post it, then I click the quote button of the second post I want to quote, mark all the text in the new box and rightclick and choose copy, then I go back to my old post and press edit and go to the bottom, rightclick again and press paste, and voila you got yourself multiple quotes ;)



Eros wrote:

Its funny, the forum is getting so bad that we have multiple intro type things around.
Now we have something that gives the absolute basics. That this is warranted is sad, but it seems the absolute basics bear explaining to many people on CR.

Doomaid stated that something needs to be done, and I hope people get the main point:
This forum is a place for discussion.
If you do not add value to the discussions you are not welcome here.


But, no. Thats not what we get. What do we get?
An article that politely asks members to make the forums better.
Hah

I appreciate the effort, but my money is on this doing little good.
People should be smitten like there is no tomorrow.


I fully agree with you, good to see there's people that zombies would care about following if you got it
1135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 12/29/07



lovey_21 wrote:
Even if it small talk or a whole crap of lecture. It's not going to change how they post. Maybe some will change how they post, but not all. So don't expect ALL cr members to follow these rules because I know they won't.

"How do you know, are you a psychic? I just don't get why it started to be this way, and at least people should remember the rules just 4 seconds to make their post here? or is that too much to demand?
Hope this didn't become too much for you guys to read..."

How do I know? hahahahaha. Of course I know. Nobody is perfect. You know it and I know it and everyone knows it. Do you really think everyone follows the rules? I admit I don't sometimes but that doesn't make me a hypocrite or a rebel. It makes me human to make useless mistakes. I agree that people should stop making useless comments or posts but that doesn't really give you the right to lecture them, eh? I know everyone is entitled to have their own opinions, but there are children out there 15 years or younger, would you lecture them about posting right? You gotta think about what might others think when you're lecturing someone. And also, this post or forum is not supposed to have two cr members bicker and argue but then again we are discussing, eh?
Do you think my posts are long enough? Cuz I could write a whole book about this.
28673 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Michigan, USA
Offline
Posted 12/29/07

Eros wrote:
Doomaid stated that something needs to be done, and I hope people get the main point:
This forum is a place for discussion.
If you do not add value to the discussions you are not welcome here.


But, no. Thats not what we get. What do we get?
An article that politely asks members to make the forums better.
Hah

I appreciate the effort, but my money is on this doing little good.
People should be smitten like there is no tomorrow.

I get the concept of being direct, but I don't want to alienate users that don't know how to post correctly. I want to show the correct way to do things so everyone can enjoy the forums. I know that sounds kind of "fluffy bunny happy with rainbows" but it's true. I remember being 14, and never posting on forums because I didn't want to do something wrong and have all the regulars verbally kick my ass. What's awful is that it wasn't an irrational idea, that's probably what would have happened, and is what happens here.

The title was partly strategic too. Many users are always saying they wish they could help the site more, so what do I offer them? Something they can do that's free, and really is helpful.
78167 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Japan
Offline
Posted 12/29/07
More than anything, this thread will serve more of a purpose of "I told you so..."

It's a solid link to people who break the rules, and an indirect insult on their part that something so blatant as "this is the proper way to post" is stuffed in their faces, that if they don't do it, they're either stupid or they're just being jerks.

Either way, I doubt this thread has any intention of improving the content on this forum, more so than simply giving people more reason to understand why they should post in a certain way, lest they taste the wrath of people who follow the rules and know that they are doing the right thing.
Posted 12/29/07


lovey_21 wrote:
Even if it small talk or a whole crap of lecture. It's not going to change how they post. Maybe some will change how they post, but not all. So don't expect ALL cr members to follow these rules because I know they won't.

torerling wrote:
"How do you know, are you a psychic? I just don't get why it started to be this way, and at least people should remember the rules just 4 seconds to make their post here? or is that too much to demand?
Hope this didn't become too much for you guys to read..."


lovey_21 wrote:
How do I know? hahahahaha. Of course I know. Nobody is perfect. You know it and I know it and everyone knows it. Do you really think everyone follows the rules?

Don't make to hasty assumptions here now, that you have lost faith and are too lazy to fight doesn't mean that everybody is. I don't think that it'll be done in a day, not even a week or a month, but it is possible, It'd be a helluva lot work, but it's possible..

lovey_21 wrote:
I admit I don't sometimes but that doesn't make me a hypocrite or a rebel. It makes me human to make useless mistakes. I agree that people should stop making useless comments or posts but that doesn't really give you the right to lecture them, eh?

To post silly posts isn't a mistake, it's a wrong mindset and a way to show that you don't have manners and just want to get your thing across without investing anything in the conversation. I'm free to say what I want and I don't lecture people I'm trying to make them think, that's something else, it's called a favor, feel free to lecture me anytime if you feel like it :)


lovey_21 wrote:
I know everyone is entitled to have their own opinions, but there are children out there 15 years or younger, would you lecture them about posting right? You gotta think about what might others think when you're lecturing someone.

I see no problems in making people younger than 15 responsible for what they utter. I've been a mod at the largest norwegian Harry Potter forum and we had 11 year olds writing amazing posts adding lots of new stuff to the discussion, I don't see why these 15 year olds shouldn't be at least as mature as a 11 year old? and is it wrong of me to assume that? or at least that people at least have some content in what they write, or else they could just write strings of random letters and I would get just as much out of it..


lovey_21 wrote:
And also, this post or forum is not supposed to have two cr members bicker and argue but then again we are discussing, eh?
Do you think my posts are long enough? Cuz I could write a whole book about this.

This isn't bickering it's discussion, if this was bickering I would have something against you, and I don't, I don't agree with you, but you write nice posts and you write the reason for what you think, I admire you for that, but I think that you're wrong and yeah your posts are nice and I can continue this for a long time looking forward to discuss with you ;)
Posted 12/29/07

Do0mAid wrote:

I get the concept of being direct, but I don't want to alienate users that don't know how to post correctly. I want to show the correct way to do things so everyone can enjoy the forums. I know that sounds kind of "fluffy bunny happy with rainbows" but it's true. I remember being 14, and never posting on forums because I didn't want to do something wrong and have all the regulars verbally kick my ass. What's awful is that it wasn't an irrational idea, that's probably what would have happened, and is what happens here.

The title was partly strategic too. Many users are always saying they wish they could help the site more, so what do I offer them? Something they can do that's free, and really is helpful.


Do not worry mod you are not alienating individuals here. You are simply educating them in the proper approach to post in the forums. But sad to say, some might not cooperate or apathetic in terms of the discussions. The very first thing that should be addressed would be the way the forum should be opened or entitled. There are some instances wherein forum makers simple ask questions like "Who is your favorite character" or what not. These kind of questions can be answered in just a word or a one liner phrase. If the forum maker would simply stressed out to further explain why he or she likes that character, that would greatly increase enthusiasm to the answering masses to discuss their answer rather than simply putting a name.

The idea of a delete link would really be helpful. But together with that delete link would be an instant PM why the said posting was deleted. It could just be an instant PM that will be generated stating the things that it violated.

Furthermore, I appreciate the efforts exerted by the moderators in making CR a healthy site for intelligent discussion and the time they had imparted. I greatly salute you since I had been a moderator in other sites and I understand the workload. May you still continue in strengthening CR and educating everyone.
507 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / F / In my underwear.. XP
Offline
Posted 12/29/07

Eros wrote:

I appreciate the effort, but my money is on this doing little good.
People should be smitten like there is no tomorrow.



lovey_21 wrote:

Do you think my posts are long enough? Cuz I could write a whole book about this.



Ooooh... pessimism, and sarcasm... important elements of witty debate. LOL
However, the points are valid. While the reminder of proper forum use may be necessary (very well outlined by the way), there are persons who simply will not follow the rules, even if they are tatooed on their hands. I admit that I have double-posted before seeing the edit button in the corner, but hopefully, people will read the thread. First step to application.
Also, a forum post is meant to be a valid, elaborated contribution to a discussion; but one can accomplish this in two sentences just as well as with an entire paragraph .

So in short... good effort, good luck!
1135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 12/29/07
Referring to Torerling:
It's not about laziness or loss in faith. It's called mankind. I know many people may hate me after saying this but a lot of people have no common sense, but not all (thank God). It's funny I could be one of those people who have no common sense. I agree with HokiePokie and doom and you, but some people get and will be offended when they are called retarded or stupid. Have you ever considered that they might not know the forum rules? Because a lot of people don't read directions at all, they just post and post. And you guys know what I'm talking about. I get the same lecture from my teachers. How people should always read directions or rules.
I'm just saying maybe you and the others should be careful of what you call other people cuz calling someone like "retarded" or "stupid" is not acceptable. It's offensive, especially to those who has mental disability or a relative that is.
Just be more understanding. I'm not saying that you're the only one that are saying them, I'm saying this to those who need to watch what they are saying. Peace and yeah you write nice posts too. We could write a book with our posts. But I guess we are kind of breaking the rules because no double posting. lol. But then again, like they say "Rules are meant to be broken."
Posted 12/29/07

lovey_21 wrote:

Referring to Torerling:
It's not about laziness or loss in faith. It's called mankind. I know many people may hate me after saying this but a lot of people have no common sense, but not all (thank God). It's funny I could be one of those people who have no common sense. I agree with HokiePokie and doom and you, but some people get and will be offended when they are called retarded or stupid. Have you ever considered that they might not know the forum rules? Because a lot of people don't read directions at all, they just post and post. And you guys know what I'm talking about. I get the same lecture from my teachers. How people should always read directions or rules.
I'm just saying maybe you and the others should be careful of what you call other people cuz calling someone like "retarded" or "stupid" is not acceptable. It's offensive, especially to those who has mental disability or a relative that is.
Just be more understanding. I'm not saying that you're the only one that are saying them, I'm saying this to those who need to watch what they are saying. Peace and yeah you write nice posts too. We could write a book with our posts. But I guess we are kind of breaking the rules because no double posting. lol. But then again, like they say "Rules are meant to be broken."

and again you are making a strawman, I do not call people stupid or retarded, I do if they do start to call me names. I am not afraid to call people naive and lazy bastards though, 'cause that's something they can do something with. If they do not read the rules I see no need in having them here, if they do not offer content I do not see any reason to have them here. But I think that the right way is to learn them how to do good, not to say that this is a lost case. And I feel free to call people stupid or retarded if they start getting on me no need to be nice to people that doesn't care or listen to reason. And I'm an atheist, people use that as an insult here and there, it does bother me but does that make them stop? no, It's just words..
And we are not double posting here hence we do not break rules, double posts is two posts without any between, that's something completely different.
Rules are meant to be followed, but sometimes it helps to bend them,,
1135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 12/29/07
Referring to torerling:
Again, I feel like we're going in circles here. Not one of us will give in. So, I'll just say. I respect your opinion and I respect you. I hope that you are right about people changing how they posts and how rules should be followed. But I just need to remind you that people are stubborns. Including me and I think you know that since we've be debating and not giving in.
1325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / I dont speak english
Offline
Posted 12/29/07
Great guide... sadly, its a little "long" to read, its what people call "a wall of text" and people usually dont make the effort to read it when there too much text.

I'm use to write alot and i soon realised that 90% of the time, people will simply skip my post just because there is "alot to read" I try many way to fix this, mostly using bold and cutting it in small little paragraphs to read...

A "quick sumary" at the begining of this topic, directing to the more explaned section would be great, so the "skipper" could at least get the basic of what are the proper Forum posting etiquette. (its just a suggestion, take it or leave it =P because people keep saying i give my opinion too much ~ )

I honnestly dont take CR's forums as "serious forums" (I commented that earlier in another topic [that was a bit more agressive] last week). And unless you create a diferent section (call "exhaustives conversations" or such), General will always be full of smileys addict and "First post" spammer. This website is not specialised for litterature or politics or any "more serious" matters and touch a large public, from 13 to 73 years old.

I didnt say it would be impossible to have intelligents conversations and such, there SOULD be a way to have mature, greats conversations about fascinating subjects, but i just think it will be hard to do so =P I will be more than willing to help tho, and hope those "rules" and "proper etiquette" will be used more and more and more ^_^




Oh and just a small comment about this:

torerling wrote:

[...] as someone said here grammar is nice, but some typo's here and there is OK, the new fire foxes also have a nice spell checker that really comes in handy if you don't have english as your mothers tongue, and maybe also if you do.
[...]

English, like any others language, was once a slang and mixt of others language.
Whats happenning now is the same, a new modern language is being created. Its faster because its reach the whole world with internet, but its still the same.
Yes, its true, those people dont speak "english", they speak "texto" or what ever you call it. Its where you and them have to realise the difference. There a reason why you dont always understand them. Its a different language. In my point of view, the day people will understand its 2 differents languages, it will solve alot of problem. Kids will realise they speak texto in their everyday life but in school they learn english. Anyway, i better stop here or i'll never finish ...
(directly copy/pasted from another post i wrote earlier this week, im a lazy-lazy girl after all ~ )
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.