First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Japanese Legislation Downplay on Rape
10652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Indonesia Raya
Offline
Posted 8/29/09
The Japanese court itself already fails in acknowledge the rape. The legal profession needs to reconsider the ways in which it understands sexual assault, altering its perspective to place more emphasis on the victim’s point of view. Especially on tsujo rape and fushizen rape.
The victim most likely being discourage to make a report to court because of cultural and laws gender bias. imo
Posted 8/29/09

Ryutai-Desk wrote:

The Japanese court itself already fails in acknowledge the rape. The legal profession needs to reconsider the ways in which it understands sexual assault, altering its perspective to place more emphasis on the victim’s point of view. Especially on tsujo rape and fushizen rape.
The victim most likely being discourage to make a report to court because of cultural and laws gender bias. imo
Like I said:
10652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Indonesia Raya
Offline
Posted 8/29/09

DomFortress wrote:


Ryutai-Desk wrote:

The Japanese court itself already fails in acknowledge the rape. The legal profession needs to reconsider the ways in which it understands sexual assault, altering its perspective to place more emphasis on the victim’s point of view. Especially on tsujo rape and fushizen rape.
The victim most likely being discourage to make a report to court because of cultural and laws gender bias. imo
Like I said:


It means not fair to women, right? The laws made based from male perspective in Japan (According to the thesis).
I wonder how many representative of women in legislative or parliament or court in Japan?
Posted 8/29/09 , edited 8/29/09

Ryutai-Desk wrote:


DomFortress wrote:


Ryutai-Desk wrote:

The Japanese court itself already fails in acknowledge the rape. The legal profession needs to reconsider the ways in which it understands sexual assault, altering its perspective to place more emphasis on the victim’s point of view. Especially on tsujo rape and fushizen rape.
The victim most likely being discourage to make a report to court because of cultural and laws gender bias. imo
Like I said:


It means not fair to women, right? The laws made based from male perspective in Japan (According to the thesis).
I wonder how many representative of women in legislative or parliament or court in Japan?
According to UN's CEDAW latest list of observation on Japan's sixth periodic report on sexual discrimination on August 7, still not enough: http://www2.ohchr.org/english/bodies/cedaw/docs/co/CEDAW.C.JPN.CO.6.pdf(see section 28 - 30 under "Temporary special measures" starting at page 5).

You should also look at section 41 and 42 under "Equal participation in political and public life" starting at page 9 for reference.
16274 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / A fucking rice co...
Offline
Posted 8/29/09 , edited 8/29/09

DomFortress wrote:


digs wrote:I agree with you. However I believe it may cause some who watch it to morally degenerate and consider violent rape for themselves. It may not affect the society as a whole, but it does affect those who watch it.
What you've just described is an actual phenomenon called cultural influences in psychology(http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev.psych.53.100901.135200).

However, do keep in mind that the rape myth in the Japanese criminal justice system isn't just a simple act you can find in an entertainment medium. But rather it's a standard for discrimination of women and children within a legislation of state. So now it is a statewide effect of cultural "contamination" on the Japanese populace's overall morality, IMO.

Freud viewed rape in the same light. Victorian era women would tell him during their sessions that they were raped by their fathers and husbands and Freud shrugged it off as delusion. The Japanese male viewpoint could be similar if not the same.


LiquoriceJellyBean wrote:Actually, I don't deny them.
I base my opinion on what I think is right.
Those are your facts.
I have mine.
Stop trying to force what you think down my throat.

I believe that their laws for rape are alright.


Rape is built into the minds of the Japanese.
Think about it.
Every single Japanese porno is about rape.
Every single hentai vid is about rape.

Cannibals are treated as celebrities there.

It's more socially acceptable to them.

While we find rape to be horrifying, they find it erotic.

Rape is WRONG. Period and I don't give a fuck about how they view it.
10652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Indonesia Raya
Offline
Posted 8/29/09

DomFortress wrote:


Ryutai-Desk wrote:


It means not fair to women, right? The laws made based from male perspective in Japan (According to the thesis).
I wonder how many representative of women in legislative or parliament or court in Japan?
According to UN's CEDAW latest list of observation on Japan's sixth periodic report on sexual discrimination on August 7, still not enough: http://www2.ohchr.org/english/bodies/cedaw/docs/co/CEDAW.C.JPN.CO.6.pdf(see section 28 - 30 under "Temporary special measures" starting at page 5).

You should also look at section 41 and 42 under "Equal participation in political and public life" starting at page 9 for reference.


From what I looked at the draft of Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women from UN, not Japanese government, really concerned about participation and condition of Japanese women. The problem is the willingness from the women itself and the system of Japanese that 'maybe' discourage women to participate in higher state because of the stereotype and its culture.

The Committee recommends that the State party further strengthen its national machinery for the advancement of women, including by clearly defining the mandate and responsibilities of its various components, in particular between the Minister of State for Gender Equality and Social Affairs and the Gender Equality Bureau
Of course, this is only recommendation from UN. No action in Japanese parties, especially during election in Japan now.

There's one Japanese woman representative in UNICEF concerning about 2D porn (hentai) and loli exploitation called Agnes Chan. But from the conditions, her proposal to ban it itself seems ineffective, especially in Japan. That's why it seems, women representative in higher authority would unlikely rising there.
http://www.un.org/apps/news/storyAr.asp?NewsID=17728&Cr=UNICEF&Cr1=
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/08/united-nations-calls-for-explicit-japanese-game-ban/
Posted 8/30/09 , edited 8/30/09

Ryutai-Desk wrote:From what I looked at the draft of Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women from UN, not Japanese government, really concerned about participation and condition of Japanese women. The problem is the willingness from the women itself and the system of Japanese that 'maybe' discourage women to participate in higher state because of the stereotype and its culture.

The Committee recommends that the State party further strengthen its national machinery for the advancement of women, including by clearly defining the mandate and responsibilities of its various components, in particular between the Minister of State for Gender Equality and Social Affairs and the Gender Equality Bureau
Of course, this is only recommendation from UN. No action in Japanese parties, especially during election in Japan now.

There's one Japanese woman representative in UNICEF concerning about 2D porn (hentai) and loli exploitation called Agnes Chan. But from the conditions, her proposal to ban it itself seems ineffective, especially in Japan. That's why it seems, women representative in higher authority would unlikely rising there.
http://www.un.org/apps/news/storyAr.asp?NewsID=17728&Cr=UNICEF&Cr1=
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/08/united-nations-calls-for-explicit-japanese-game-ban/
Ah yes, the one move of raising awareness on the discrimination of Japanese women and children that started all. It's funny how such a humanitarian movement of raising awareness can cause such a negative feedback from those who advocate such mediums which contain the idea of discriminating women and children through the act of rape. That is, if only I wasn't a feminist.

And sadly so, but I would have to say that you're right on the ball when Japanese's women rights movement will be ignored by the Japanese public, due to the upcoming election in Japan. Especially when the Japanese government seem so reluctant to comply to the UN recommendations.

However, though I'm very much in doubt that such is the case, there could be another reason as to why the lack of Japanese women participating in higher state; a self-imposed glass ceiling(http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/article959674.ece). And I doubt that such is the case to be because Japanese women have yet to experience the height of the second feminist movement in the Western society by themselves.
10652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Indonesia Raya
Offline
Posted 8/30/09 , edited 8/30/09

DomFortress wrote:

Ah yes, the one move of raising awareness on the discrimination of Japanese women and children that started all. It's funny how such a humanitarian movement of raising awareness can cause such a negative feedback from those who advocate such mediums which contain the idea of discriminating women and children through the act of rape. That is, if only I wasn't a feminist.

And sadly so, but I would have to say that you're right on the ball when Japanese's women rights movement will be ignored by the Japanese public, due to the upcoming election in Japan. Especially when the Japanese government seem so reluctant to comply to the UN recommendations.

However, though I'm very much in doubt that such is the case, there could be another reason as to why the lack of Japanese women participating in higher state; a self-imposed glass ceiling(http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/article959674.ece). And I doubt that such is the case to be because Japanese women have yet to experience the height of the second feminist movement in the Western society by themselves.


Unfortunately, Japanese women still caught in its stereotype, mostly because of their society and nurture from parents as well. Japanese work place also different from west, it still has discrimination how they treat women employee from glass ceiling, sticky floor to elevator promotion which only applies to men. Even though the democracy already being carried out 50 years, the mindset of Japanese people still stick to their imperial system and their fixed culture, make it harder to break that invisible glass.

However, I can't imagine how the Japanese court works in such case like rape. Rape that the culprit is stranger (tsujo rape) most likely be heard by court but the rape which the culprit is somehow acquaintance were most likely being ignored. It's really unimagined how they accused that the victim were enjoyed being raped and they said it as rape myth. Of course, because the court works like this, the report of women being raped by someone they know wouldn't as much as tsujo rape. It's not how the laws work to the culprit, but it's how the system works to carry the laws.

I think they should make new laws to protect and prove the innocent of the victim that being raped not for enjoyment as there are many places of prostitution that a women could claim their customer rape them while he paid them legally. Unfortunately, as long as the stereotype alive and there's only few women representative in court or legislative or parliament to make pass the law, it'll be futile. Any idea?

17958 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 8/30/09
http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~ad361896/anne/cease/rapestatisticspage.html

1 out of every 3 American women will be sexually assulted in her lifetime. The United States has the world's highest rape rate. 13 times higher than England, and 20 times higher than Japan. ...

SO even if there System needs a lot of work there still less crime and rape in Japan than whats in America.
America has more than 12 times the murder rate and 20 times the rape rate. Before you can really complain about Rape in other countries you have to first remove your own country from being ranked number one in rape rates! (don't you think?)
16274 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / A fucking rice co...
Offline
Posted 8/30/09 , edited 8/30/09

LiquoriceJellyBean wrote:




LiquoriceJellyBean wrote:Actually, I don't deny them.
I base my opinion on what I think is right.
Those are your facts.
I have mine.
Stop trying to force what you think down my throat.

I believe that their laws for rape are alright.


Rape is built into the minds of the Japanese.
Think about it.
Every single Japanese porno is about rape.
Every single hentai vid is about rape.

Cannibals are treated as celebrities there.

It's more socially acceptable to them.

While we find rape to be horrifying, they find it erotic.


What makes you think the Japanese give a fuck about how you view it in return?
I could care less how the Japanese view this. Rape ain't something that's black and white. Rape is wrong, period. Adopting the Japanese viewpoint is fucking silly. I could care less if they tend to ignore the victims of rape and pretending it isn't a problem. This isn't a "how you view it" kind of thing. Rape is rape.



Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~ad361896/anne/cease/rapestatisticspage.html

1 out of every 3 American women will be sexually assulted in her lifetime. The United States has the world's highest rape rate. 13 times higher than England, and 20 times higher than Japan. ...

SO even if there System needs a lot of work there still less crime and rape in Japan than whats in America.
America has more than 12 times the murder rate and 20 times the rape rate. Before you can really complain about Rape in other countries you have to first remove your own country from being ranked number one in rape rates! (don't you think?)

Dom lives in Canada. Also, I'm sure the rates are higher in other countries. It's just not being reported.
16274 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / A fucking rice co...
Offline
Posted 8/30/09
They should change their laws because raping other human beings is wrong, flat out. Laws should be there to protect victims and not some silly stereotype. Your arguments make no fucking sense at all.
Posted 8/30/09
~Deleted Forum Posts
You people really need to calm down.
Posted 8/30/09

Gaia93 wrote:

~Deleted Forum Posts
You people really need to calm down.


Forgot the part where he says that I don't care about women and children.
Posted 8/30/09

Gaia93 wrote:

~Deleted Forum Posts
You people really need to calm down.
Thanks a lot for the moderation. I'll watch my temper from my end.
Posted 8/30/09

LiquoriceJellyBean wrote:


Gaia93 wrote:

~Deleted Forum Posts
You people really need to calm down.


Forgot the part where he says that I don't care about women and children.


I perfectly understand your frustrations and agree that what he said was wrong, let me handle that. Otherwise, please refrain from furthering your conversation with him. I’d hate to see you get banned.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.