First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You have your opinion, I have my opinion!
20081 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 12/25/09

Maybin wrote:

Don't post what you can't defend. I'd say.


That would be nice... But what is the chance people would do that?
Posted 12/25/09

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Maybin wrote:

Don't post what you can't defend. I'd say.


That would be nice... But what is the chance people would do that?

As slim as they're willing to face me in a debate, and only if they do feel lucky.
20081 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 12/26/09

DomFortress wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Maybin wrote:

Don't post what you can't defend. I'd say.


That would be nice... But what is the chance people would do that?

As slim as they're willing to face me in a debate, and only if they do feel lucky.


IN that case pick a topic. I take the other side of any topic.. Just to debate you.. Even if I agree with you...
Posted 12/26/09

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


DomFortress wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Maybin wrote:

Don't post what you can't defend. I'd say.


That would be nice... But what is the chance people would do that?

As slim as they're willing to face me in a debate, and only if they do feel lucky.


IN that case pick a topic. I take the other side of any topic.. Just to debate you.. Even if I agree with you...

Done and done.
838 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 12/26/09
There are opinions, and then there are facts. You are saying that denying facts is ridiculous. I agree completely.

However, there are instances in which there is no right or wrong answer. Let's say some murderer guy captures two of your friends, and he tells you you have to choose which one lives. There is no right answer to that. They are both wrong. So, the "better" answer, would be a matter of opinion, of weighing each person's strengths and weaknesses, based on your own personal values.


...I'd say more, but I'm sick and can't think clearly. I hope that made some degree of sense.
20081 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 12/29/09

Lionna wrote:

There are opinions, and then there are facts. You are saying that denying facts is ridiculous. I agree completely.

However, there are instances in which there is no right or wrong answer. Let's say some murderer guy captures two of your friends, and he tells you you have to choose which one lives. There is no right answer to that. They are both wrong. So, the "better" answer, would be a matter of opinion, of weighing each person's strengths and weaknesses, based on your own personal values.


...I'd say more, but I'm sick and can't think clearly. I hope that made some degree of sense.


'Umm Facts are not opinions.. I never said they are.. But opinions can be based on facts, and opinions can be based on blind faith.
I just pointing out opinions are not all equal. those opinions based on evidence and facts should be held above those opinions based on nothing but your own baseless ideals.
838 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 12/29/09

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Lionna wrote:

There are opinions, and then there are facts. You are saying that denying facts is ridiculous. I agree completely.

However, there are instances in which there is no right or wrong answer. Let's say some murderer guy captures two of your friends, and he tells you you have to choose which one lives. There is no right answer to that. They are both wrong. So, the "better" answer, would be a matter of opinion, of weighing each person's strengths and weaknesses, based on your own personal values.


...I'd say more, but I'm sick and can't think clearly. I hope that made some degree of sense.


'Umm Facts are not opinions.. I never said they are.. But opinions can be based on facts, and opinions can be based on blind faith.
I just pointing out opinions are not all equal. those opinions based on evidence and facts should be held above those opinions based on nothing but your own baseless ideals.


Agreed, and that's generally true (thank god). Except ridiculous politicians who get the vote my inspiring fear in their followers. I hate that. They're like, "I'll protect you from this non-existent threat if you give up your freedom to me." XD Stupid Bush.
Posted 1/1/10
Opinions create conflict. Humans love the theater of war.
22726 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Northwest
Offline
Posted 1/3/10
But sometimes I just reeeaaally hate the other guy's opinion
Posted 1/3/10

Jiggalo wrote:

Opinions create conflict. Humans love the theater of war.

And I can wage wars without me firing a single shot or drawing a drop of blood, but simply by me being opinionated.

Oh The Art of War, tho are truly the making of a philosopher.
Posted 1/3/10

DomFortress wrote:


Jiggalo wrote:

Opinions create conflict. Humans love the theater of war.

And I can wage wars without me firing a single shot or drawing a drop of blood, but simply by me being opinionated.

Oh The Art of War, tho are truly the making of a philosopher.


Sun Tzu's way is the best. I like the idea of disinformation being essential to both enemies and allies.
Posted 1/3/10

Jiggalo wrote:


DomFortress wrote:


Jiggalo wrote:

Opinions create conflict. Humans love the theater of war.

And I can wage wars without me firing a single shot or drawing a drop of blood, but simply by me being opinionated.

Oh The Art of War, tho are truly the making of a philosopher.


Sun Tzu's way is the best. I like the idea of disinformation being essential to both enemies and allies.

When disinformation can mask your allies from your enemies, thereby both sides can't engage each others without knowing what they're facing. You bet it's essential.
4408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Cavite, Philippines
Offline
Posted 1/5/10
Which is better, to voice your own opinion even though it's wrong or to have the "correct" opinion even though it's not yours? What's the use of free expression if you can't even have your own opinion? Is this forum/website a scientific search for facts or a friendly venue to express your opinions?

People take the internet too seriously, like fools who love to win small battles that don't matter.
Posted 1/5/10

Kill099 wrote:

Which is better, to voice your own opinion even though it's wrong or to have the "correct" opinion even though it's not yours? What's the use of free expression if you can't even have your own opinion? Is this forum/website a scientific search for facts or a friendly venue to express your opinions?

People take the internet too seriously, like fools who love to win small battles that don't matter.

What you need is the "General" forum. When you only want to say whatever that you seem to agree with zero accountability, and not to debate for what you think is right because it matters to you.

And if you think I was wrong, then you're welcome to see just how far your intelligent can go with that attitude of yours.
8742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Scotland, Aberdeen
Offline
Posted 1/5/10
I find that having opinions is entirely pointless. A discussion with nothing but opinions exchanged is vacuous and serves no purpose whatsoever, other than to, perhaps, entertain. Now, if the participants find it amusing to make ambitious claims with no support and mutually accept that the only restriction is the participants' imagination, that is perfectly fine. More commonly, however, participants will not admit that the aim is to make claims absent any support. In such instances, they are merely fooling themselves.

To argue that people take the internet too seriously is rather foolish. The internet being a medium for the transmission of information, it is only logical to judge 'chunks' of information on their own merits. Matters such as human rights, research, economy and so on, are far from unimportant, which is demonstrated by the number of people participating in debates revolving around the above issues. These issues are of social value and their global importance is proportion with the people involved, to the people involved. By the same token, a debate in respect of the newest fancy hat of a jrock idol will be of some value to the participants, else they would not be participants. In short, objectively, there is no point, but since some importance is attached to any topic in any way touched, they will be discussed and debated, and I can think of no reason why they should not. It does not happen for a reason, it just happens.

Now, the usual 'as far as I'm concerned', 'that's what you think', nonsensical rubbish. I don't think it is a moot point. Any reasonable being in the right mind would agree that such behaviour has no place in reasoned discussion. Premises are presented, they are proven wrong, counter-arguments are then, in turn, proven wrong and so on and so forth. An opinion that does not present some sort of claim or counter-claim will be vacuous, irrelevant and undesirable. It will fall to be disregarded as it adds nothing to the discussion or debate at hand and that is it.

I would just like to add the popular 'I disagree with you, but I respect your opinion.' line. See, I cannot seem to grasp what it actually means. The first part is evident, but the second? 'I think your views are fatally misconcieved, but I respect them.' Does this make sense?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.