First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Sigh the ignorance of some Americans never cease to amaze me...
4053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Yo Mommas House
Offline
Posted 9/8/09 , edited 9/8/09
You know I am a Ron Paul supporter and had he had some electability I would have voted for him instead of Obama. But you know now I believe Obama had to be elected to really show if this country matured from the stereotype of Americans being ignorant and the racism. Sadly by Obama's election some Americans failed. I dont know if this is because some are just extremely bitter that he was elected or some just down right cant take it that everyday they wake up there is a black man running the country.

This brings me to the point of this topic I am truly shocked that people are making such a fuss over a speech to children of America, with a huge drop out/failure rate with their students. You can view the speech here:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/09/08/obama.school.speech/index.html#cnnSTCVideo video
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/09/07/obama.school.speech.pdf text

You know I am not an Obama fan but we have to admit this man can speak and this was a positive inspirational speech to students. For me to be ignorant towards this speech just because I don't agree with much of his policies is foolish on my part. I am with you when your right and against you when your wrong. This is no partisan support if you notice I am all around with the same view on both parties and many issues without ever flip flopping.

Parents was actually so upset with him about to make this positive speech to the point that they withheld their child from coming to school just to avoid a 20 minute positive speech. But yet they can watch R rated movies or listen to adult theme songs and play video games all day. Some people stating, "You know we dont have to stand for this Obama and his communist actions we have to take a stand." "He is not my childs parent therefore he cant tell my child what to do." One lady on the Hannity talk show went as far as to count how many times president Obama said words like 'Education', 'I', 'School'. And according to her just because he said 'I' 56 times the whole speech was just about him not school. Some of these ignorant Americans and Conservatives somehow believes there is some hidden political agenda even some went as far as to claim he is just doing this to past his health care bill. The man mentioned nothing about health care in this speech at.

The one thing I have to give to these brainwashing conservatives is that they are organized. To successfully able to get many other ignorant Americans gather and write letters to schools to not show the speech and keep their children home is amazing. Every president does it but I guess when Obama does it he has some secret ugly agenda behind it. Some students were clapping, some were teary eyed and many was overjoyed. When are we going to wake up in this country? When will we get rid of partisanship? Look at people for what they represent not the color of their skin or what party they belong to?

What do you guys think was this speech so terrible that it is just to hold keep your child home from a 20 minute speech for the rest of the day?
Scientist Moderator
digs 
37029 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 9/8/09
Most people are offended by the notion that Obama asked students to write a letter to the president to see how they can help out. Let me pose another question, what would have happened if president Bush gave the same speech? I agree that there is much animosity towards Obama and it isn't right, but we can expect that from either political ideology (I would argue it would be worse from liberals vs conservatives.)
Posted 9/8/09

digs wrote:

Most people are offended by the notion that Obama asked students to write a letter to the president to see how they can help out. Let me pose another question, what would have happened if president Bush gave the same speech? I agree that there is much animosity towards Obama and it isn't right, but we can expect that from either political ideology (I would argue it would be worse from liberals vs conservatives.)


sigh i hate to say it digs most people would not care at all if bush or regan gave a speech like that but that's my point of view of hearing and watching so much conerestavite radio
4053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Yo Mommas House
Offline
Posted 9/8/09

digs wrote:

Most people are offended by the notion that Obama asked students to write a letter to the president to see how they can help out. Let me pose another question, what would have happened if president Bush gave the same speech? I agree that there is much animosity towards Obama and it isn't right, but we can expect that from either political ideology (I would argue it would be worse from liberals vs conservatives.)


I believe it Bush did it would not have made any noise. He has done it by visiting schools and I believe other presidents did this in the past as well. A lot of little things Obama is doing is being blown out of proportion. But you know what if Mccain was in power and supported the same things Obama doing the democrats would be up in arms while the Republicans back him. Thats why I think this partisan support is killing us because we are not going by whats right and wrong but what our party goes by.
4053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Yo Mommas House
Offline
Posted 9/8/09
Here is a good article relevant to this topic:

Who Does He Think He Is?
What Gives Obama the Right to Speak to American School Children?

By CHARLES R. LARSON

What right does Barack Obama have to speak to American school children? Who does he think he is—the President of the United States?

What right to suggest that American children send him a letter with suggestions that he might use to help the country? That’s down right un-American, or certainly un-conservative. How dare he suggest that Americans might be concerned about other Americans?

What right to tell American school children to work hard, that the future of the country depends on their success? If they want to drop out of school, that’s their choice.

What chutzpah to talk to our children about values. We all know what family values are—they’re for my family and they don’t extend to yours. Who the hell cares about your family?

And the value of education? Isn’t American education socialism, relinquishing what is best for our children and letting those decisions be made by teachers, administrators, and elected school boards? Where can this possibly lead us—to health coverage for the country’s fifty million deadbeats who don’t have a job?

Why would sane adults want their children to be indoctrinated by the President of the United States?

Charles R. Larson, Professor of Literature at American University, believes that parents who argue their children should not listen to the President of the United States need to be sent back to grade school for a mandatory six years of basic education.
Scientist Moderator
digs 
37029 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 9/8/09

drizza wrote:


digs wrote:

Most people are offended by the notion that Obama asked students to write a letter to the president to see how they can help out. Let me pose another question, what would have happened if president Bush gave the same speech? I agree that there is much animosity towards Obama and it isn't right, but we can expect that from either political ideology (I would argue it would be worse from liberals vs conservatives.)


I believe it Bush did it would not have made any noise. He has done it by visiting schools and I believe other presidents did this in the past as well. A lot of little things Obama is doing is being blown out of proportion. But you know what if Mccain was in power and supported the same things Obama doing the democrats would be up in arms while the Republicans back him. Thats why I think this partisan support is killing us because we are not going by whats right and wrong but what our party goes by.


I disagree, everything Bush did was highly criticized and he was made out to be the most evil guy on earth. The media doesn't report any dirt on Obama. Many people don't know that recently one of Obama's czars was fired. Van Jones was the green jobs czar, he is a past member of the communist party, a racist man towards white people, the guy called the Republicans "@ssholes" and signed a petition saying that Bush did 9/11 and was some devil of a person. The guy was a racist communist with a filthy mouth. Obama put a communist in charge of creating green jobs... yet the media keeps very quiet about this, and when they can't they treat him as some kind of victim.
4053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Yo Mommas House
Offline
Posted 9/8/09
True, But what I meant was he criticized for petty things as simple as this. But yes all what you said is true and it is a completely different issue though. Like I said I am not Obama fan and to this day I still disapprove of many things he does. But this was a message to empower students in school I dont believe it should have been bashed and all these other actions taken against it.
232 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F
Offline
Posted 9/8/09
I think what the more conservative parents who do not support Obama should have done was ask if a respected Republican member could do the same thing that Obama is doing in some way... if that makes any sense.

I do not like what these parents are doing with not having their children avoid school, but they should then find a different way to tell their children to continue their education if they have such a problem with Obama saying anything.

I mean the very fact that they are not letting their children go to school to avoid an important message is just having their own prejudices or onesided-ness interfere with the development of brains that hold what their parents do in high regard. This would lead to humans that may become highly biased and one-sided themselves.... This leads to war.


Whatever.... I am tired of thinking right now. Make of my gibberish what you think it means.
4302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 9/8/09

drizza wrote:


digs wrote:

Most people are offended by the notion that Obama asked students to write a letter to the president to see how they can help out. Let me pose another question, what would have happened if president Bush gave the same speech? I agree that there is much animosity towards Obama and it isn't right, but we can expect that from either political ideology (I would argue it would be worse from liberals vs conservatives.)


I believe it Bush did it would not have made any noise. He has done it by visiting schools and I believe other presidents did this in the past as well. A lot of little things Obama is doing is being blown out of proportion. But you know what if Mccain was in power and supported the same things Obama doing the democrats would be up in arms while the Republicans back him. Thats why I think this partisan support is killing us because we are not going by whats right and wrong but what our party goes by.


i wanted to quote you on this statement and on the very 1st statenment u presented.
to keep it simple and blunt- thats how politics work.

Its not about logic or morals. its about partisan ship.If im demoncrat, then all demoncrats r right, and everyone else is wrong. This makes voting simple and political beliefs very shallow for many people.But it also keeps things easy. No American has the time to sit thier and research candates to find out who is better suited for the job, its based on what party they belong to.And if the americans pick the wrong choice, we have the electoral college to back us up and pick the right choice.

our "demoncratic" society cant run any other way.These people are not ignorant, or "brainwashed", they just believe their way is the only right way.They have thier delusions of how america ought to be run, along with every other person who conforms to politics.( srry if i sound a little to cynical) peace over war

5231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 9/9/09 , edited 9/9/09

JJT2

Its not about logic or morals. its about partisan ship.If im demoncrat, then all demoncrats r right, and everyone else is wrong. This makes voting simple and political beliefs very shallow for many people.But it also keeps things easy.


The easy way is rarely the right way.


No American has the time to sit thier and research candates to find out who is better suited for the job, its based on what party they belong to..


Yeah, we're too busy spending all our free time on Twitter and Facebook and watching crappy reality shows to take 10-20 mins to learn about the person we're voting for. I mean if they're wearing the color we like and they have a nice smile, then obviously they are the best guy for the job. Charisma solves all the world's problems.


These people are not ignorant, or "brainwashed", they just believe their way is the only right way.They have thier delusions of how america ought to be run, along with every other person who conforms to politics.( srry if i sound a little to cynical) peace over war


You do realize that everything you said after "they are not ignorant or brainwashed" is the definition of ignorance and brainwashing, right?


digs The media doesn't report any dirt on Obama.


So no one made a big deal out of the fact that he smokes, or accused him of being some Muslim terrorist, or tried to prove that he is not a natural-born citizen? I don't know where you get your info, but I hear a lot more bad things about Obama than I do good, mainly because most people who support him don't know anything about him, and most people who are against him know (or think they know) everything about him.
30263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / In a birdcage, tr...
Offline
Posted 9/9/09
Sigh... If all the problems in the world would be solved that easily, there would be no need for riots and war and racism and all other sorts of horrible things. I may not be American but I believe that this sort of thing cannot be just solved by just telling these people that their way of thinking is utterly wrong or whatever you want to tell them. It takes a whole lot to change a person's mindset not to mention a whole country's. Even if you disagree on what President Obama is doing now or approve what he has been doing so far, there will definitely be people disapproving on what he does, because he is someone who represents the government of America. Even so, I think I have to admire him for trying to give a positive speech against all the mindsets of those Conservatives and parents that will ultimately influence their children into those mindsets. He has a tough job ahead of him.
4302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 9/9/09

Cuddlebuns wrote:


JJT2

Its not about logic or morals. its about partisan ship.If im demoncrat, then all demoncrats r right, and everyone else is wrong. This makes voting simple and political beliefs very shallow for many people.But it also keeps things easy.


The easy way is rarely the right way.


No American has the time to sit thier and research candates to find out who is better suited for the job, its based on what party they belong to..


Yeah, we're too busy spending all our free time on Twitter and Facebook and watching crappy reality shows to take 10-20 mins to learn about the person we're voting for. I mean if they're wearing the color we like and they have a nice smile, then obviously they are the best guy for the job. Charisma solves all the world's problems.


These people are not ignorant, or "brainwashed", they just believe their way is the only right way.They have thier delusions of how america ought to be run, along with every other person who conforms to politics.( srry if i sound a little to cynical) peace over war


You do realize that everything you said after "they are not ignorant or brainwashed" is the definition of ignorance and brainwashing, right?


digs The media doesn't report any dirt on Obama.


So no one made a big deal out of the fact that he smokes, or accused him of being some Muslim terrorist, or tried to prove that he is not a natural-born citizen? I don't know where you get your info, but I hear a lot more bad things about Obama than I do good, mainly because most people who support him don't know anything about him, and most people who are against him know (or think they know) everything about him.


You do realize that everything you said after "they are not ignorant or brainwashed" is the definition of ignorance and brainwashing, right?

but what is brainwashing? how does it differ from any taught belief? it IS a learned behavior like any other. i have made a thread discussing this entire myth called brainwashing- its in the extended discussion- check it out. peace over war
5231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 9/9/09

JJT2

but what is brainwashing? how does it differ from any taught belief? it IS a learned behavior like any other. i have made a thread discussing this entire myth called brainwashing- its in the extended discussion- check it out. peace over war


The difference between teaching an brainwashing is that people who are taught are usually open to new ideas and respectful of different ideas, while those who are brainwashed tend to think that they know everything and that anyone who does agree with them doesn't know anything.
2693 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / guess where
Offline
Posted 9/9/09
I just don't see what's so bad about what Obama said on his speech. I mean, the president wanting the youth to work hard and do something good for their country--does that sound awfully bad? That makes me wonder what people really want these days.
4053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Yo Mommas House
Offline
Posted 9/9/09

JJT2 wrote:


drizza wrote:


digs wrote:

Most people are offended by the notion that Obama asked students to write a letter to the president to see how they can help out. Let me pose another question, what would have happened if president Bush gave the same speech? I agree that there is much animosity towards Obama and it isn't right, but we can expect that from either political ideology (I would argue it would be worse from liberals vs conservatives.)


I believe it Bush did it would not have made any noise. He has done it by visiting schools and I believe other presidents did this in the past as well. A lot of little things Obama is doing is being blown out of proportion. But you know what if Mccain was in power and supported the same things Obama doing the democrats would be up in arms while the Republicans back him. Thats why I think this partisan support is killing us because we are not going by whats right and wrong but what our party goes by.


i wanted to quote you on this statement and on the very 1st statenment u presented.
to keep it simple and blunt- thats how politics work.

Its not about logic or morals. its about partisan ship.If im demoncrat, then all demoncrats r right, and everyone else is wrong. This makes voting simple and political beliefs very shallow for many people.But it also keeps things easy. No American has the time to sit thier and research candates to find out who is better suited for the job, its based on what party they belong to.And if the americans pick the wrong choice, we have the electoral college to back us up and pick the right choice.

our "demoncratic" society cant run any other way.These people are not ignorant, or "brainwashed", they just believe their way is the only right way.They have thier delusions of how america ought to be run, along with every other person who conforms to politics.( srry if i sound a little to cynical) peace over war



Yea I am with you about partisan ship and I believe it can be destructive. You know lets say we have two candidates running people who consider themselves republican will go for the republican candidate regardless of what harmful things he says and can do to this country. I just dont like this idea because then one doesnt truely examine a candidate. I am not calling partisins brainwashed I am calling the actions taken to prevent kids from hearing a minor speech telling them education is good but because some conservatives who cant find anything at all good about Obama criticize it then the flock follows. That I believe is ignorance and brainwashing people cant make up their mind they just follow the wolf.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.