I don't ever want to hear a Southern (USA) accent in a dub again!
75084 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / South Eastern Wis...
Offline
Posted 9/8/09
Does anyone else hate hearing Southern accents in dubs? Whenever a character is from Osaka, the dub voice always seems to have a THICK Southern accent. I know why they do this: Osaka is sort of in the Southern region of Japan. The stereotype for Osakans is that they are hard working but lazy. I can sorta see why people would think that the southern accent would be a good fit for people with an Osaka accent. But I find the southern accent incredibly distracting! Whenever I hear a Southern Accent, I think: Oh, that character is from the South (USA). But they're not; they're from Osaka. It leads to confusion. I don't want to hear another Southern Accent in a dub, unless the character is from the Southern part of the USA.

P.S. And yes I know some of you will say, "Just watch the Sub; no one's forcing you to watch the dub." 75% of the time I prefer to watch the subtitled version of the anime I watch. But the other 25% of the time I prefer the dub. Case in point: Yu Yu Hakusho. I can't stand Yuske's voice in the sub, so I watched the whole series dubbed.
Posted 9/8/09 , edited 9/8/09
This just sounds like a rant.
19013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
www.crunchyroll.com
Offline
Posted 9/8/09
Rant thread alert

Also, there's always the good and the bad dubs
Posted 9/8/09
So it's settled then?
~Locked
You must be logged in to post.