First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Labeling Our Own Children
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 9/11/09
A young boy is born to a xenophobic, Marxist family. Society calls this five-year old a Marxist and a racist. He’s labeled for life. Well, in the case of Marxism and xenophobia we don’t tend to do this in the Western world. Yet, the vast majority of the world’s population is still guilty of the equivalent.

We teach our children that they’re “Christian children,” or “Muslim children.” Even though they cannot comprehend religion, we’re labeling them. We’re not saying, “you come from a Christian back ground,” we look at this child and say, “you’re a Christian,” when clearly youngest don’t even know what that means.

What are your thoughts on this practice of society?
4053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Yo Mommas House
Offline
Posted 9/11/09
I believe it is just culture that's all usually parents present the religion slowly to the child. Such in my case the religion was introduced in a fun way. Singing songs out of the Quran etc the joyfulness of Eid. They have childrens books on religion so they can get a feel of it. Probably the same with other religions such as the Jewish religion. When the child gets older it is up to him if he wants to continue to be a Jew or not. Parents tend to want to mold their child to a smart God fearing person and I believe there is nothing wrong with that at all.
Scientist Moderator
digs 
48142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Online
Posted 9/12/09
I think children do have an aspect of God. The Bible says to raise children in the truth and to teach them about God. However, even in Jewish society and the time of Jesus, they didn't teach them extensively until they were old enough to memorize scripture and learn from the Rabbis. I think we discredit what children can know and question, at age 4 I had the concept of eternity, death, and knew about other religious beliefs. I wasn't as mature but I had the concept of these things and had my own opinions as a child (although they weren't as mature as mine that I have now)
Yei
9137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
116
Offline
Posted 9/12/09
I've thought about this alot with religion. There's a very thin line between religion and culture, because people tend to start taking religion less seriously and become secular. So when a country is 100% Muslim (like Turkey), it must mean all the children come from a Muslim culture.

I don't think it happens with Marxists or racists today, it happens mainly with religion.
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 9/12/09
That's simply what culture is: passing on beliefs and practices from generation to generation. It's only wrong when it is taken to an extreme (i.e teaching your kids to kill people).
4053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Yo Mommas House
Offline
Posted 9/12/09
Completly agree with cuddle when you start going into extreme then it is wrong. Religion teaches moral aspects of life and teaching it to someone at a young age could help them grow up to be a better person. Assuming they apply the aspects of religion to their daily life.
4295 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Youtube!
Offline
Posted 9/12/09
Well, parents I guess are just introducing their kids to what they think is the best thing since sliced bread.
And children are like sponges and they absorb all this info and expect it to be true because "mommy and daddy know best".
It could to a degree be considered brainwashing, which is a scary thought when you think we'd all like to educate our children in something we believe is right.
I have thought about it before yes, and this is indeed how bigots are created.
Perhaps we should discuss this with our children when they're old enough to digest and dissect it so they can make up their own mind?
But that's not easy when Christianity is still taught as the truth in our schools, and when older members of the family are participating in religious activity.
We label children like it because they believe in it. Even if it's through naivety.
But why teach your children to judge and kill?
What a horrible waste of innocence.
:(
4294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 9/12/09

SeraphAlford wrote:

A young boy is born to a xenophobic, Marxist family. Society calls this five-year old a Marxist and a racist. He’s labeled for life. Well, in the case of Marxism and xenophobia we don’t tend to do this in the Western world. Yet, the vast majority of the world’s population is still guilty of the equivalent.

We teach our children that they’re “Christian children,” or “Muslim children.” Even though they cannot comprehend religion, we’re labeling them. We’re not saying, “you come from a Christian back ground,” we look at this child and say, “you’re a Christian,” when clearly youngest don’t even know what that means.

What are your thoughts on this practice of society?


this practice is nessesary and part of human nature. humans naturally label themselves, other people, and things around them. In certain countries we like to play word games with our labels- such as renaming masters as "boss". and calling cow meat "beef"., ect.

its the same thing with children, they will be labeled along with everyone else, they arnt special. If parents dont label them, then society/ media will. So its all about who gets to the child 1st- parents or society? and who do u want thier first?

the world wouldnt be such a merciless place if humans didnt bother labeling everyone so they can continue pretending to be some supreme being that doesnt have to take responsibility for themselves.

the pinacle of human arrogance is thier ability to label a person beneath them, believe thier own bullshit, and use it to justify treating humans inhumanely. peace over war
4294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 9/12/09

Sunnyxx wrote:

Well, parents I guess are just introducing their kids to what they think is the best thing since sliced bread.
And children are like sponges and they absorb all this info and expect it to be true because "mommy and daddy know best".
It could to a degree be considered brainwashing, which is a scary thought when you think we'd all like to educate our children in something we believe is right.
I have thought about it before yes, and this is indeed how bigots are created.
Perhaps we should discuss this with our children when they're old enough to digest and dissect it so they can make up their own mind?
But that's not easy when Christianity is still taught as the truth in our schools, and when older members of the family are participating in religious activity.
We label children like it because they believe in it. Even if it's through naivety.
But why teach your children to judge and kill?
What a horrible waste of innocence.
:(


Perhaps we should discuss this with our children when they're old enough to digest and dissect it so they can make up their own mind?
But that's not easy when Christianity is still taught as the truth in our schools, and when older members of the family are participating in religious activity


but u cant forget about the media, environment, and peers (peer pressure). btw the time thier old enough to comprehend religion (which most adults cant even do), they could become a gangster, murderer, druggie, demoncrat, republican, or a nazi. It will be too late for a religious awakening then.peace over war
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 9/12/09

JJT2 wrote:


Sunnyxx wrote:

Well, parents I guess are just introducing their kids to what they think is the best thing since sliced bread.
And children are like sponges and they absorb all this info and expect it to be true because "mommy and daddy know best".
It could to a degree be considered brainwashing, which is a scary thought when you think we'd all like to educate our children in something we believe is right.
I have thought about it before yes, and this is indeed how bigots are created.
Perhaps we should discuss this with our children when they're old enough to digest and dissect it so they can make up their own mind?
But that's not easy when Christianity is still taught as the truth in our schools, and when older members of the family are participating in religious activity.
We label children like it because they believe in it. Even if it's through naivety.
But why teach your children to judge and kill?
What a horrible waste of innocence.
:(


Perhaps we should discuss this with our children when they're old enough to digest and dissect it so they can make up their own mind?
But that's not easy when Christianity is still taught as the truth in our schools, and when older members of the family are participating in religious activity


but u cant forget about the media, environment, and peers (peer pressure). btw the time thier old enough to comprehend religion (which most adults cant even do), they could become a gangster, murderer, druggie, demoncrat, republican, or a nazi. It will be too late for a religious awakening then.peace over war


So not having a religion until your older makes you a bad person? Last time I looked the majority of people in prison are religious.
So mister peace over war, How exactly does religion save a person from becoming a Nazi? Or a Druggie? Or a Murderer?
Last time I checked Atheist also fallow the laws that was set up to keep peace in are communities. For a intelligent Moral foundation is what builds a strong Atheist.
4294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 9/12/09

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


JJT2 wrote:


Sunnyxx wrote:

Well, parents I guess are just introducing their kids to what they think is the best thing since sliced bread.
And children are like sponges and they absorb all this info and expect it to be true because "mommy and daddy know best".
It could to a degree be considered brainwashing, which is a scary thought when you think we'd all like to educate our children in something we believe is right.
I have thought about it before yes, and this is indeed how bigots are created.
Perhaps we should discuss this with our children when they're old enough to digest and dissect it so they can make up their own mind?
But that's not easy when Christianity is still taught as the truth in our schools, and when older members of the family are participating in religious activity.
We label children like it because they believe in it. Even if it's through naivety.
But why teach your children to judge and kill?
What a horrible waste of innocence.
:(


Perhaps we should discuss this with our children when they're old enough to digest and dissect it so they can make up their own mind?
But that's not easy when Christianity is still taught as the truth in our schools, and when older members of the family are participating in religious activity


but u cant forget about the media, environment, and peers (peer pressure). btw the time thier old enough to comprehend religion (which most adults cant even do), they could become a gangster, murderer, druggie, demoncrat, republican, or a nazi. It will be too late for a religious awakening then.peace over war


So not having a religion until your older makes you a bad person? Last time I looked the majority of people in prison are religious.
So mister peace over war, How exactly does religion save a person from becoming a Nazi? Or a Druggie? Or a Murderer?
Last time I checked Atheist also fallow the laws that was set up to keep peace in are communities. For a intelligent Moral foundation is what builds a strong Atheist.


your reading wayyyy to much into my rhetoric. All im saying is that if parents dont pass thier beliefs onto thier children, somebody else will. Parents have to teach thier children early, or the media and peer pressure will get them.

Same with athiest, if u dont teach your child how to be an athiest, he may become religious, a nazi, druggie, killer, or a phycho path.

my point is u cant tell a 2 yr old child to have an open mind and choose a belief system by the time thier around 19.its too late then.

(btw, i was making fun/demonizing democrats and republicans, not athiests...) peace over war
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 9/13/09

JJT2 wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


JJT2 wrote:


Sunnyxx wrote:

Well, parents I guess are just introducing their kids to what they think is the best thing since sliced bread.
And children are like sponges and they absorb all this info and expect it to be true because "mommy and daddy know best".
It could to a degree be considered brainwashing, which is a scary thought when you think we'd all like to educate our children in something we believe is right.
I have thought about it before yes, and this is indeed how bigots are created.
Perhaps we should discuss this with our children when they're old enough to digest and dissect it so they can make up their own mind?
But that's not easy when Christianity is still taught as the truth in our schools, and when older members of the family are participating in religious activity.
We label children like it because they believe in it. Even if it's through naivety.
But why teach your children to judge and kill?
What a horrible waste of innocence.
:(


Perhaps we should discuss this with our children when they're old enough to digest and dissect it so they can make up their own mind?
But that's not easy when Christianity is still taught as the truth in our schools, and when older members of the family are participating in religious activity


but u cant forget about the media, environment, and peers (peer pressure). btw the time thier old enough to comprehend religion (which most adults cant even do), they could become a gangster, murderer, druggie, demoncrat, republican, or a nazi. It will be too late for a religious awakening then.peace over war


So not having a religion until your older makes you a bad person? Last time I looked the majority of people in prison are religious.
So mister peace over war, How exactly does religion save a person from becoming a Nazi? Or a Druggie? Or a Murderer?
Last time I checked Atheist also fallow the laws that was set up to keep peace in are communities. For a intelligent Moral foundation is what builds a strong Atheist.


your reading wayyyy to much into my rhetoric. All im saying is that if parents dont pass thier beliefs onto thier children, somebody else will. Parents have to teach thier children early, or the media and peer pressure will get them.

Same with athiest, if u dont teach your child how to be an athiest, he may become religious, a nazi, druggie, killer, or a phycho path.

my point is u cant tell a 2 yr old child to have an open mind and choose a belief system by the time thier around 19.its too late then.

(btw, i was making fun/demonizing democrats and republicans, not athiests...) peace over war


You can teach a kid right from wrong with no need of adding religion into it. Religion can come later once there old enough.
You can teach a child that something is bad and they should not do it by telling them that it is bad, and explaining to them why it is bad.
You do not need to induct them into religion, that can come later once there older.

Ps... Atheist do not teach kids how to be atheist, we just teach them right from wrong, and let them learn as they go, only stepping in to aid them in making good decisions.
4294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 9/13/09

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


JJT2 wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


JJT2 wrote:


Sunnyxx wrote:

Well, parents I guess are just introducing their kids to what they think is the best thing since sliced bread.
And children are like sponges and they absorb all this info and expect it to be true because "mommy and daddy know best".
It could to a degree be considered brainwashing, which is a scary thought when you think we'd all like to educate our children in something we believe is right.
I have thought about it before yes, and this is indeed how bigots are created.
Perhaps we should discuss this with our children when they're old enough to digest and dissect it so they can make up their own mind?
But that's not easy when Christianity is still taught as the truth in our schools, and when older members of the family are participating in religious activity.
We label children like it because they believe in it. Even if it's through naivety.
But why teach your children to judge and kill?
What a horrible waste of innocence.
:(


Perhaps we should discuss this with our children when they're old enough to digest and dissect it so they can make up their own mind?
But that's not easy when Christianity is still taught as the truth in our schools, and when older members of the family are participating in religious activity


but u cant forget about the media, environment, and peers (peer pressure). btw the time thier old enough to comprehend religion (which most adults cant even do), they could become a gangster, murderer, druggie, demoncrat, republican, or a nazi. It will be too late for a religious awakening then.peace over war


So not having a religion until your older makes you a bad person? Last time I looked the majority of people in prison are religious.
So mister peace over war, How exactly does religion save a person from becoming a Nazi? Or a Druggie? Or a Murderer?
Last time I checked Atheist also fallow the laws that was set up to keep peace in are communities. For a intelligent Moral foundation is what builds a strong Atheist.


your reading wayyyy to much into my rhetoric. All im saying is that if parents dont pass thier beliefs onto thier children, somebody else will. Parents have to teach thier children early, or the media and peer pressure will get them.

Same with athiest, if u dont teach your child how to be an athiest, he may become religious, a nazi, druggie, killer, or a phycho path.

my point is u cant tell a 2 yr old child to have an open mind and choose a belief system by the time thier around 19.its too late then.

(btw, i was making fun/demonizing democrats and republicans, not athiests...) peace over war


You can teach a kid right from wrong with no need of adding religion into it. Religion can come later once there old enough.
You can teach a child that something is bad and they should not do it by telling them that it is bad, and explaining to them why it is bad.
You do not need to induct them into religion, that can come later once there older.

Ps... Atheist do not teach kids how to be atheist, we just teach them right from wrong, and let them learn as they go, only stepping in to aid them in making good decisions.


but when is old enough..old enough? kids also learn right and wrong from the media, and the environment. parents may be the most influential in a child's life, but environment makes a very close 2nd. can teaching them right from wrong over power the media's and enironment's version of right and wrong? peer pressure can really can overpower some children. peace over war

18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 9/13/09

JJT2 wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


JJT2 wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


JJT2 wrote:


Sunnyxx wrote:

Well, parents I guess are just introducing their kids to what they think is the best thing since sliced bread.
And children are like sponges and they absorb all this info and expect it to be true because "mommy and daddy know best".
It could to a degree be considered brainwashing, which is a scary thought when you think we'd all like to educate our children in something we believe is right.
I have thought about it before yes, and this is indeed how bigots are created.
Perhaps we should discuss this with our children when they're old enough to digest and dissect it so they can make up their own mind?
But that's not easy when Christianity is still taught as the truth in our schools, and when older members of the family are participating in religious activity.
We label children like it because they believe in it. Even if it's through naivety.
But why teach your children to judge and kill?
What a horrible waste of innocence.
:(


Perhaps we should discuss this with our children when they're old enough to digest and dissect it so they can make up their own mind?
But that's not easy when Christianity is still taught as the truth in our schools, and when older members of the family are participating in religious activity


but u cant forget about the media, environment, and peers (peer pressure). btw the time thier old enough to comprehend religion (which most adults cant even do), they could become a gangster, murderer, druggie, demoncrat, republican, or a nazi. It will be too late for a religious awakening then.peace over war


So not having a religion until your older makes you a bad person? Last time I looked the majority of people in prison are religious.
So mister peace over war, How exactly does religion save a person from becoming a Nazi? Or a Druggie? Or a Murderer?
Last time I checked Atheist also fallow the laws that was set up to keep peace in are communities. For a intelligent Moral foundation is what builds a strong Atheist.


your reading wayyyy to much into my rhetoric. All im saying is that if parents dont pass thier beliefs onto thier children, somebody else will. Parents have to teach thier children early, or the media and peer pressure will get them.

Same with athiest, if u dont teach your child how to be an athiest, he may become religious, a nazi, druggie, killer, or a phycho path.

my point is u cant tell a 2 yr old child to have an open mind and choose a belief system by the time thier around 19.its too late then.

(btw, i was making fun/demonizing democrats and republicans, not athiests...) peace over war


You can teach a kid right from wrong with no need of adding religion into it. Religion can come later once there old enough.
You can teach a child that something is bad and they should not do it by telling them that it is bad, and explaining to them why it is bad.
You do not need to induct them into religion, that can come later once there older.

Ps... Atheist do not teach kids how to be atheist, we just teach them right from wrong, and let them learn as they go, only stepping in to aid them in making good decisions.


but when is old enough..old enough? kids also learn right and wrong from the media, and the environment. parents may be the most influential in a child's life, but environment makes a very close 2nd. can teaching them right from wrong over power the media's and enironment's version of right and wrong? peer pressure can really can overpower some children. peace over war



Umm last time I checked A 2 or 3 year old did not watch much TV unless It had something to do with a sponge, puppets counting, or something else in those ranks. Do you think that the cookie monster is going to corrupt your kid. If so why i you letting him watch it.

School is for teaching kids the basics, how to share, teaching them to count, and ABCs. you really think a 6 year old kid going to be brain washed? Wen all you have to do is so little Tommy what did you do in school today, kids love talking about there school day in detail.

once there 12 or 13 there old enough where you can start talking to them about religion, and show your case. But not till then.

55941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
58 / F / Midwest, rural Am...
Offline
Posted 9/15/09
JJT2 and Darkphoenix, do either of you have children? I have 3 grown ones. Sure I shared what I believe with them, but I know they are individuals, with the right to choose for themselves. I guess I was lucky enough to be raised by parents who didn't label me something, or try to indoctrinate me in the early impressionable yrs of my life. 2 of my kids are far to strong willed for me to " turn them to my way" of thinking, and the 3rd, is too laid back to bother arguing one way or the other. I can only hope I got thru to them w/ the most important lessons : How to think for themselves and how to ask questions. That way they'll never be locked into someone else's prejudice, or lost in someone else's fears, or dominated by someone else's grab for authority or power. Raising kids isn't easy, and no matter what we teach ( or for that matter what we ourselves were taught! ) there is the built in mechanism in each of us called teenage adolescence, that will thwart almost anything we sought to teach with angst and rebellion. ( don't knock Spongebob! humor is a valuable asset to human health!)
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.