First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Teachers teaching the wrong subject
Yei
9137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
116
Offline
Posted 9/12/09 , edited 9/12/09
I had a substitute for Biology class this week and we are currently studying evolution and the origins of life. The substitute just happened to be a creationist, so the first thing he tells us is if we can find any actual proof for evolution in the textbook. Me and some other kids explained evolution to him because he didn't really know what it was and then the theories for the origins of life, and he went on about how it makes no sense and it's not possible, etc.. basic creationist crap.

Last year I took a course on world religions and we started off with a wonderful, very knowledgeable Christian teacher (not secular Christian, real Christian), but half way through the year he did something very un-Christian and abandoned us to get a higher paying job at another school. He left right before we started Judaism, Christianity and Islam, and we got stuck with a blonde new teacher who had never taught the course before and was not qualified to teach it in any way. She didn't even know what a religion was, she told us atheism and agnosticism were religions. She was nice and taught things well but she had no idea what she was talking about the entire time, she just made us read pages from the textbook. And she made us watch Bruce Almighty because somehow that movie gives us valuable insight on religion.

Alot of the time I think I'm more qualified to teach a class than the teacher..
4202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 9/12/09
if you think the teacher doesnt qualify, just go to the higher ups

as for me
I wouldnt want a creationist or a christian as a teacher
Posted 9/12/09
a couple of years ago an english teacher taught us about the wrong book. so we'd spent a year studying about something that wasn't even on the exam. what an idiot...we didn't even get to retake the exam so all of us in that class failed english that year.
4294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 9/12/09

Yei wrote:

I had a substitute for Biology class this week and we are currently studying evolution and the origins of life. The substitute just happened to be a creationist, so the first thing he tells us is if we can find any actual proof for evolution in the textbook. Me and some other kids explained evolution to him because he didn't really know what it was and then the theories for the origins of life, and he went on about how it makes no sense and it's not possible, etc.. basic creationist crap.

Last year I took a course on world religions and we started off with a wonderful, very knowledgeable Christian teacher (not secular Christian, real Christian), but half way through the year he did something very un-Christian and abandoned us to get a higher paying job at another school. He left right before we started Judaism, Christianity and Islam, and we got stuck with a blonde new teacher who had never taught the course before and was not qualified to teach it in any way. She didn't even know what a religion was, she told us atheism and agnosticism were religions. She was nice and taught things well but she had no idea what she was talking about the entire time, she just made us read pages from the textbook.

Alot of the time I think I'm more qualified to teach a class than the teacher..


lol, you must go to a crappy school then. sounds like my teachers back in highschool. but at leasts your teachers taught u something

substitutes in my country r really not suppose to be teaching the class to begin with, but in biology class, teachers should be objective, and teach based on science. its ok to be a creationist, just dont bring that into a science class. Teachers should let students think for themselves and just present them the facts, not go on a tangent about this and that.

My biology teacher is a creationist/christian as well, but in class, you couldnt tell.He's very objective in the class room, and tells us that science is an objective course, he doesnt want us trying to pull any "BS" over on him about philosophy/religion and all that crap.He teaches the thoery of evolution as if he believes in it himself. And thats how teachers should be in objective courses.

of course its the exact opposite in subjective courses such as religion/phiolosphy/ phychology. The teachers thier should want you to challange thier hypthoesis/ thoeries so you can think for yourself. im going to continue this when i get back. peace over war
Yei
9137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
116
Offline
Posted 9/12/09

JJT2 wrote:

lol, you must go to a crappy school then. sounds like my teachers back in highschool. but at leasts your teachers taught u something

substitutes in my country r really not suppose to be teaching the class to begin with, but in biology class, teachers should be objective, and teach based on science. its ok to be a creationist, just dont bring that into a science class. Teachers should let students think for themselves and just present them the facts, not go on a tangent about this and that.

My biology teacher is a creationist/christian as well, but in class, you couldnt tell.He's very objective in the class room, and tells us that science is an objective course, he doesnt want us trying to pull any "BS" over on him about philosophy/religion and all that crap.He teaches the thoery of evolution as if he believes in it himself. And thats how teachers should be in objective courses.

of course its the exact opposite in subjective courses such as religion/phiolosphy/ phychology. The teachers thier should want you to challange thier hypthoesis/ thoeries so you can think for yourself. im going to continue this when i get back. peace over war


Actually I go to one of the best schools in my city. But I guess religion class isn't a priority there, so they just let anyone teach it. The same teacher that taught it last year is teaching it this year, so I can't imagine how misled on religion her students will become.
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 9/12/09
I didn't think anyone expected substitute teachers to actually teach. I've never had a sub that actually followed a lesson plan.
Yei
9137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
116
Offline
Posted 9/12/09

Cuddlebuns wrote:

I didn't think anyone expected substitute teachers to actually teach. I've never had a sub that actually followed a lesson plan.


Yeah I know, but the point is he shouldn't have been the substitute for that class. And I know at least half the class thinks he has a point because they mostly don't know anything about evolution and are religious too.

I wonder how my teacher's going to react to this when we tell him what happened.
Kiki's Customer Support Service
Kiki 
100408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Nova Scotia
Offline
Posted 9/12/09
I had an english/history teacher taking over for our sick math teacher for math class during high school.. Worst class of my life..
The guy had NO idea what he was doing. The entire class looked down on him because he couldn't do grade 10 math.

I felt bad, yet couldn't help but join my classmates in teasing him and making it worse.
Mr. Harold. If you ever read this. I'm sorry for making you miserable that day..
4294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 9/12/09

Yei wrote:


Cuddlebuns wrote:

I didn't think anyone expected substitute teachers to actually teach. I've never had a sub that actually followed a lesson plan.


Yeah I know, but the point is he shouldn't have been the substitute for that class. And I know at least half the class thinks he has a point because they mostly don't know anything about evolution and are religious too.

I wonder how my teacher's going to react to this when we tell him what happened.


im glad u brought this up, this was the sencond point i wanted to make.

im curious to how your teacher will react as well, because i have never understood the whole deal with teaching evolution in the classroom.Its not like people are forcing u to believe in it and throw away all your other beliefs. They just want u to understand the thoery. People act as if they are commiting some grave sin by marking evolution on a test paper. Its not some forced belief teachers are trying to pound into the students head, they just want them to understand what it is.

like i said before, its ok to be a creationists, just dont bring it in a science class, because its simply not science.
i could say the same thing about religion in public schools. if u have to pray, then go in a bathroom, no need to get the entire class involved in a prair or saluting the flag. Even though half of a high school's job is to brainwash children, that doesnt mean they all have to be brainwashed the exact same way. peace over war

2633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / New York City, NY
Offline
Posted 9/12/09
This is the time you have to engage in independent study. I cam from a very bad school in terms of teacher quality, and most of my opinions were formed from reading books outside of the curriculum.
108 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 9/13/09
who gives a f*ck? the important thing is the teacher passes u, i for one don't pay attention to 90% of wat the teacher is ever saying. Also im not in class 50% of the time cuz im too busy smoking a blunt.
Posted 9/14/09 , edited 9/14/09
^And this is the problem with most of our generation today. You barely have to do anything to pass now. Thank you No Child Left Behind.

Anyway, I remember having a substitute teacher who let us screw around while our real teacher went on vacation to Rome. She knew nothing about English, and most of the kids had to explain to her what we had to do. When she came back all of us failed our English exam, even the people who studied because someone gave us the wrong study pages.
Posted 9/14/09 , edited 9/14/09

Gaia93 wrote:

^And this is the problem with most of our youth today. You barely have to do anything to pass now. Thank you No Child Left Behind.

Anyway, I remember having a substitute teacher who let us screw around while our real teacher went on vacation to Rome. She knew nothing about English, and most of the kids had to explain to her what we had to do. When she came back all of us failed our English exam, even the people who studied because someone gave us the wrong study pages.
Well with that attitude of his, he really got no business with education to begin with. When just about every methods of education(except self-taught, but look at how well he turns out to be) is wasted on the likes of him, IMO.

Personally, I gave a lot of substitute teachers a hard time just because of my attitude and standard toward my education; they are way too high than any mere substitute teacher can cope.
Posted 9/14/09 , edited 9/14/09

DomFortress wrote:


Gaia93 wrote:

^And this is the problem with most of our generation today. You barely have to do anything to pass now. Thank you No Child Left Behind.

Anyway, I remember having a substitute teacher who let us screw around while our real teacher went on vacation to Rome. She knew nothing about English, and most of the kids had to explain to her what we had to do. When she came back all of us failed our English exam, even the people who studied because someone gave us the wrong study pages.
Well with that attitude of his, he really got no business with education to begin with. When just about every methods of education(except self-taught, but look at how well he turns out to be) is wasted on the likes of him, IMO.

Personally, I gave a lot of substitute teachers a hard time just because of my attitude and standard toward my education; they are way to high than any mere substitute teacher can cope.


Do you know how many kids in other countries would be happy to live here in America? Let alone go to school? It's just that our generation (our as in mine) don’t realize how good we have it (ha, I sound like my grandma). A family member of mine always said how much he regretted not finishing school, instead he goofed off and skipped classes. He's having a pretty hard time because of it too.

I wonder what type of score you have to get on your SAT's to pass high school?
Posted 9/14/09 , edited 9/14/09

Gaia93 wrote:Do you know how many kids in other countries would be happy to live here in America? Let alone go to school? It's just that our generation (our as in mine) don’t realize how good we have it (ha, I sound like my grandma). A family member of mine always said how much he regretted not finishing school, instead he goofed off and skipped classes. He's having a pretty hard time because of it too.

I wonder what type of score you have to get on your SAT's to pass high school?
I don't think Canada has a system like SAT, when a Canadian student's overall academic performance is measured by averaging the letter grades, aka GPA(Grade Point Average). I got a 3.425 out of 4(when 4 is straight A) when I graduated from high school, BTW.

What I can tell you is that I would rather have the kind of education that I wanted, therefore I can create the kind of meaningful career that I would dedicate myself into, based on what I've learned. I didn't like the spoon-fed system that I went through in my childhood of growing up in Taiwan. And I don't think that my Canadian high school education had ever taught me about what I wanted to do because I find it to be a worthy challenge, when it only cares about what I am good at because it was easy for me to do it. Such are the attitude and standard that I'm having on most of today's educational system and institutions.

Do you know why I was so good at physics, chemistry, and mathematics? It was most certainly not because I find the subjects themselves to be challenging, otherwise I would be having a hard time at understanding them. After a while, I find myself preferring subjects that I do find to be challenging, so I won't feel like I was relearning something that I could figure it out on my own. I'm seriously looking for troubles, because I find them worthy of my time.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.