The Responsibility of an Exectutive in the Poistion of Power
Posted 9/18/09
This is something that I've been wondering; those executives and CEO's behind the Japanese corporate entertainment industry are supposed to prevent the corporation from falling into the danger of excess waste. Such example can be abusing their corporate power of productivity and killing the market growth, by over-saturating the market with excess products. However look at what Mr. Tomino, the creator of the Gundam series had to say about that(http://fast.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2009-09-14/yoshiyuki-tomino-press-conference/2):

The only way to solve this current situation is to go back to being social animals. In other words, to raise our children more directly as families. Having said this, however, I think many people are aware of this problem and are aware of the necessity to implement this solution. However, I believe that although the answer is very simple and right there in front of our eyes, we lost the ability to implement that solution.

People always ask me to give a simple example but these examples are never really simple after all. What I mean is that I try to give an example of what we know the solution is, but it is more difficult to implement than you might actually think. An example of this is, we have many people in society who receive astronomical sums in terms of salary who are in charge of money-losing companies or organizations, yet they continue to receive these huge salaries and they feel no shame. They feel absolutely no embarrassment. I won't take any more time on this topic.
This is of course very abstract coming from him, so I need to fill in some backgrounds in order to complete the whole picture. Just don't blame me for taking away the fun of figuring out his thinking openly, it's not like it is that difficult to begin with.

In order for those who wish to implement the solution that Mr, Tomino speaks of, they need to be in a position of power that can control the direction and flow of the social situations. While at the same time they need to fully understand the importance of their positions and the possibility of risks involved. In other words, they need to value their own social lives as much as, if not more so, than the positions that they're in.

The most significant part of everyone's social life is their families. because that's where we all started with our lessons on how to become social animals. And it's from that social group where we learned how to interact with fellow human beings since our birth.

However, the position and risk of a corporate executive can be very demanding. As a matter of fact their demanding schedules often require the executives and CEO's to be away from their families at all time, if not significantly so(http://www.huffingtonpost.com/penelope-trunk/hold-ceos-accountable-for_b_52750.html):

Fortune magazine ran an article about Howard Stringer, CEO of Sony. He is married with two children and is quoted as saying at company meeting, "I don't see my family much. My family is you."

Fortune ran a profile of Jeff Immelt, chief executive of GE. Immelt said that he has been working 100-hour weeks for the last 20 years. He also said that he is married and they have an 18-year-old daughter.

I can't decide which is more pathetic -- the way these men approach their role as a parent, or the way that Fortune magazine writes about it without any commentary.

How can there be no mention of the fact that these CEOs are neglecting their kids?

We have a double standard in our society: If you are poor and you abandon your kids, you are a bad parent. But if you are rich and you abandon them to run a company, you are profiled in Fortune magazine.
As the corporation grow, so did the complications and risks involved in an executive position of power. And as an old business saying goes "the higher the risk, the more lucrative the profits." With such a competitiveness drive, is no wonder that of all places in Asia, Japan's top executives are having the biggest pay with the Variable Pay Plans at 27.4%(http://www.hewittassociates.com/Intl/AP/en-JP/AboutHewitt/Newsroom/PressReleaseDetail.aspx?cid=4555).

I'll be honest with ya, I don't like how a bunch of people in the positions of power are being paid with over 1/4 of a nation's wealth each year, just so that they can conduct their businesses and employees, like how they treat their families and wives and kids.
Posted 9/18/09

DomFortress wrote:

This is something that I've been wondering; those executives and CEO's behind the Japanese corporate entertainment industry are supposed to prevent the corporation from falling into the danger of excess waste. Such example can be abusing their corporate power of productivity and killing the market growth, by over-saturating the market with excess products. However look at what Mr. Tomino, the creator of the Gundam series had to say about that(http://fast.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2009-09-14/yoshiyuki-tomino-press-conference/2):

The only way to solve this current situation is to go back to being social animals. In other words, to raise our children more directly as families. Having said this, however, I think many people are aware of this problem and are aware of the necessity to implement this solution. However, I believe that although the answer is very simple and right there in front of our eyes, we lost the ability to implement that solution.

People always ask me to give a simple example but these examples are never really simple after all. What I mean is that I try to give an example of what we know the solution is, but it is more difficult to implement than you might actually think. An example of this is, we have many people in society who receive astronomical sums in terms of salary who are in charge of money-losing companies or organizations, yet they continue to receive these huge salaries and they feel no shame. They feel absolutely no embarrassment. I won't take any more time on this topic.
This is of course very abstract coming from him, so I need to fill in some backgrounds in order to complete the whole picture. Just don't blame me for taking away the fun of figuring out his thinking openly, it's not like it is that difficult to begin with.

In order for those who wish to implement the solution that Mr, Tomino speaks of, they need to be in a position of power that can control the direction and flow of the social situations. While at the same time they need to fully understand the importance of their positions and the possibility of risks involved. In other words, they need to value their own social lives as much as, if not more so, than the positions that they're in.

The most significant part of everyone's social life is their families. because that's where we all started with our lessons on how to become social animals. And it's from that social group where we learned how to interact with fellow human beings since our birth.

However, the position and risk of a corporate executive can be very demanding. As a matter of fact their demanding schedules often require the executives and CEO's to be away from their families at all time, if not significantly so(http://www.huffingtonpost.com/penelope-trunk/hold-ceos-accountable-for_b_52750.html):

Fortune magazine ran an article about Howard Stringer, CEO of Sony. He is married with two children and is quoted as saying at company meeting, "I don't see my family much. My family is you."

Fortune ran a profile of Jeff Immelt, chief executive of GE. Immelt said that he has been working 100-hour weeks for the last 20 years. He also said that he is married and they have an 18-year-old daughter.

I can't decide which is more pathetic -- the way these men approach their role as a parent, or the way that Fortune magazine writes about it without any commentary.

How can there be no mention of the fact that these CEOs are neglecting their kids?

We have a double standard in our society: If you are poor and you abandon your kids, you are a bad parent. But if you are rich and you abandon them to run a company, you are profiled in Fortune magazine.
As the corporation grow, so did the complications and risks involved in an executive position of power. And as an old business saying goes "the higher the risk, the more lucrative the profits." With such a competitiveness drive, is no wonder that of all places in Asia, Japan's top executives are having the biggest pay with the Variable Pay Plans at 27.4%(http://www.hewittassociates.com/Intl/AP/en-JP/AboutHewitt/Newsroom/PressReleaseDetail.aspx?cid=4555).

I'll be honest with ya, I don't like how a bunch of people in the positions of power are being paid with over 1/4 of a nation's wealth each year, just so that they can conduct their businesses and employees, like how they treat their families and wives and kids.


Wow dom you just figured this out not to sound like ass but yeah any position of power that man holds will always if not always corrupt them in the end. It's so nice that corporate guys get payed big nice saliers to promote and sell the goods while animators or factor worker get paid like shit but that is capitalism, not saying that's bad but that's the way most of the time it works. It's amazing actually animators in japan get payed around10,000k a year for a salrie and i get ever more working full time at a donation center >.> which i have stated over and over again. While the big ceo's take most of the profit for doing next to nothing but that's they way the real world works mind you. I had dreams of being an animator some day in America but i know how corrupt it is here as well as japan i don't my ideas to become so part of a big corporate gear that only makes them more money while i make next to nothing, I would rather stick to making flash cartoons for free online so every one can enjoy them and i will someday.
Posted 9/18/09

CecilTheDarkKnight_234 wrote:Wow dom you just figured this out not to sound like ass but yeah any position of power that man holds will always if not always corrupt them in the end. It's so nice that corporate guys get payed big nice saliers to promote and sell the goods while animators or factor worker get paid like shit but that is capitalism, not saying that's bad but that's the way most of the time it works. It's amazing actually animators in japan get payed around10,000k a year for a salrie and i get ever more working full time at a donation center >.> which i have stated over and over again. While the big ceo's take most of the profit for doing next to nothing but that's they way the real world works mind you. I had dreams of being an animator some day in America but i know how corrupt it is here as well as japan i don't my ideas to become so part of a big corporate gear that only makes them more money while i make next to nothing, I would rather stick to making flash cartoons for free online so every one can enjoy them and i will someday.
Do you know that you're unintentionally talking down on other people and their opinions whenever you're depressed? If I didn't know you any better I would've think of you as just another guy stirring up some trouble with my topic.

And I can tell you right now that what I've just described was not capitalism, but the combined cost of our irresponsible ways. When we let people who failed at their social lives to run our lives. while we paid them with 1/4 of our annual earning because people like you wanted "free market."

Therefore I ask, why should we keep letting this happen? When our lives are but our own, but somehow executives are getting paid big money to fail at life, because we can afford sacrificing 1/4 of our livelihoods to them for their parental guidance? May I remind you that most of the executives neglected their responsibilities as parents of their own children. So why shouldn't they do the same with their own jobs of parenting our businesses?
Posted 9/18/09

DomFortress wrote:


CecilTheDarkKnight_234 wrote:Wow dom you just figured this out not to sound like ass but yeah any position of power that man holds will always if not always corrupt them in the end. It's so nice that corporate guys get payed big nice saliers to promote and sell the goods while animators or factor worker get paid like shit but that is capitalism, not saying that's bad but that's the way most of the time it works. It's amazing actually animators in japan get payed around10,000k a year for a salrie and i get ever more working full time at a donation center >.> which i have stated over and over again. While the big ceo's take most of the profit for doing next to nothing but that's they way the real world works mind you. I had dreams of being an animator some day in America but i know how corrupt it is here as well as japan i don't my ideas to become so part of a big corporate gear that only makes them more money while i make next to nothing, I would rather stick to making flash cartoons for free online so every one can enjoy them and i will someday.
Do you know that you're unintentionally talking down on other people and their opinions whenever you're depressed? If I didn't know you any better I would've think of you as just another guy stirring up some trouble with my topic.

And I can tell you right now that what I've just described was not capitalism, but the combined cost of our irresponsible ways. When we let people who failed at their social lives to run our lives. while we paid them with 1/4 of our annual earning because people like you wanted "free market."

Therefore I ask, why should we keep letting this happen? When our lives are but our own, but somehow executives are getting paid big money to fail at life, because we can afford sacrificing 1/4 of our livelihoods to them for their parental guidance? May I remind you that most of the executives neglected their responsibilities as parents of their own children. So why shouldn't they do the same with their own jobs of parenting our businesses?


then how are we going to stop it, boycott's hardly ever work and i am sorry i have not had anytime to change my headline i have been so busy with work. Dom it is capitalism or a form it the rich get richer and the poor get poorer it has always been that way or the ways that I have seen it anyways. Corporations do not care about the individual and hide behind million dollar lawyers if some pirates anything and sues some for everything have. The thing is they don't care and greed is just the main reason why, haven't you ever heard that people worship money than any other form of religion?? I think that it is wrong and a lot of things need to be changed in this world but I hardly doubt it ever will but I have faith that it will some day and i am sorry if that I upset you bows. When it comes to big execs and their children well that's no surprise either, all they want to do is earn more, send their kids off to a rich school so in order that they will be an carbon copy someday. I think that is sick but you can't force people to do anything in this world you can only talk, provide information and hope that people will change for the better. Why do you think that I use to pirate every thing all the time?? I was sick and tired of giving assholes like these my hard earned money but i would rather pay for my goods than rot in prison for the rest of my life >.<. I will not post any more and i will let other people to see what their opinions are again sorry.
Posted 9/19/09

CecilTheDarkKnight_234 wrote:then how are we going to stop it, boycott's hardly ever work and i am sorry i have not had anytime to change my headline i have been so busy with work. Dom it is capitalism or a form it the rich get richer and the poor get poorer it has always been that way or the ways that I have seen it anyways. Corporations do not care about the individual and hide behind million dollar lawyers if some pirates anything and sues some for everything have. The thing is they don't care and greed is just the main reason why, haven't you ever heard that people worship money than any other form of religion?? I think that it is wrong and a lot of things need to be changed in this world but I hardly doubt it ever will but I have faith that it will some day and i am sorry if that I upset you bows. When it comes to big execs and their children well that's no surprise either, all they want to do is earn more, send their kids off to a rich school so in order that they will be an carbon copy someday. I think that is sick but you can't force people to do anything in this world you can only talk, provide information and hope that people will change for the better. Why do you think that I use to pirate every thing all the time?? I was sick and tired of giving assholes like these my hard earned money but i would rather pay for my goods than rot in prison for the rest of my life >.<. I will not post any more and i will let other people to see what their opinions are again sorry.
I can talk, and I can offer information. That, and the fact I'm a lover of the people at heart, but also I'm a bastard at the way how I show it. Tough love, I guess.

Which is why I can get real tough to the ones responsible of the decision of making those anime that you "... was sick and tired of giving assholes like these my hard earned money but i would rather pay for my goods than rot in prison for the rest of my life'. Because I wonder are they the same people who MR. Tomino said that they "... receive astronomical sums in terms of salary who are in charge of money-losing companies or organizations, yet they continue to receive these huge salaries and they feel no shame. They feel absolutely no embarrassment"?

Well, at least to the executives and CEO who were responsible of granting the bank loan for making the Isshoni Training: Training with Hinako(OAV)(http://fast.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=10843). Because it was the NO. 3 highest selling anime DVD when it first came out(http://fast.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-05-05/japanese-animation-dvd-ranking-april-27-may-3), 2 day's later than the 4th ranking Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Guren-hen(movie)(http://fast.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=9601) by more than twice as many copies were sold. And it's only a "direct-to-home" release of one episode of original anime, but it's gotten more popularity than Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2(TV)(http://fast.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=9173) at the time of release "by more than twice as many copies were sold."

So here I ask, would those same "executives and CEO who were responsible of granting the bank loan for making the Isshoni Training: Training with Hinako(OAV)," buy the anime themselves and watch it at home with their wives and kids? When the anime of Isshoni Training: Training with Hinako(OAV) was so bad due to poor story elements and repetitive use of stock footage animation, it felt short to the Japanese release of Disney's and Pixart's Wall-E Limited Initial 2-Disc Special Edition. Howbeit only by a factor of 16% sales figure, so close, yet so far.

Not to mention is the fact that is only in Japan, where something like Isshoni Training: Training with Hinako(OAV) could be made. When there are at most 8,253 Japanese would watch something that's only available through "direct-to-home" release of DVD distribution.
Posted 9/19/09
I guess the only thing i add is thankfully xbox live has digital downloads of anime for 160 Microsoft points so i can down load the anime that I like to watch in hd and at a low price as well legally.
Posted 9/19/09

CecilTheDarkKnight_234 wrote:

I guess the only thing i add is thankfully xbox live has digital downloads of anime for 160 Microsoft points so i can down load the anime that I like to watch in hd and at a low price as well legally.
And who says ethic and morality got no business in free market?
2111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
77 / F / Earth - I think
Offline
Posted 9/19/09 , edited 9/19/09
Any form of power leads to misuse, abuse and yes, corruption too.

Perhaps you have heard of this, but there was a research study done in 1971 looking at what happens when student volunteers role-played as prisoners and guards, and actually lived in a prison. Within a hours, the study started getting out of hand and had to be shutdown within 6 days. This went onto to show that giving individuals a little bit of power, even in a setting of role-play, leads to abuse.

You can read more about the study here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment
http://www.prisonexp.org/

And yes, this even some moderators on internet sites like to believe that they have supreme authority and can 'punish' individuals for not succumbing to their will, when in real life they are in dire need of psychological intervention for lack of self-esteem and extreme introversion, diffidence, social phobias and social anxiety disorder - even if they would like to believe that they have the apt for pursuing a career in medicine...'lol'

Posted 9/20/09

happynappyhippo wrote:Any form of power leads to misuse, abuse and yes, corruption too.

Perhaps you have heard of this, but there was a research study done in 1971 looking at what happens when student volunteers role-played as prisoners and guards, and actually lived in a prison. Within a hours, the study started getting out of hand and had to be shutdown within 6 days. This went onto to show that giving individuals a little bit of power, even in a setting of role-play, leads to abuse.

You can read more about the study here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment
http://www.prisonexp.org/

And yes, this even some moderators on internet sites like to believe that they have supreme authority and can 'punish' individuals for not succumbing to their will, when in real life they are in dire need of psychological intervention for lack of self-esteem and extreme introversion, diffidence, social phobias and social anxiety disorder - even if they would like to believe that they have the apt for pursuing a career in medicine...'lol'
Well that's not so surprising when a prison environment can be rather abusive to being with. I mean it's not like the Holiday Inn.

It sure makes me wonder the true effectiveness of social reform known as the prison life. From the ones in charge of the reforming and the ones who are being reformed.

I'm not saying we should start sending our prisoners to holiday resorts, no. But I think it's time that we should look into how and why our emotions and our ability to think, can be effected by what kind of social life that each of us have. When repeating offenders are the living proofs that our social reform system and our society both have a long way to go.
You must be logged in to post.