First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
The End?
Member
635 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 9/21/09

gleowine2009 wrote:

I've seen a number of movies and series left open like that and never continued. Usually, that's the creator's way of leaving the rest to the viewers imagination, letting the viewer continue the story in his/her own mind. It's a way of allowing the characters to live on long after the story is ended, which is really what we'd like to happen.

Still, a second season would be nice, too.


Well said.
Posted 9/21/09

gleowine2009 wrote:I've seen a number of movies and series left open like that and never continued. Usually, that's the creator's way of leaving the rest to the viewers imagination, letting the viewer continue the story in his/her own mind. It's a way of allowing the characters to live on long after the story is ended, which is really what we'd like to happen.

Still, a second season would be nice, too.
And it was exactly due to that kind of expectation, that we don't get to see original stories being made in anime.

If Yasuhiro YOSHIURA was planning on making commissioned works, then he'll be making sequels after sequels of anime adaptations. There will be no point of creating anything new, when simply making what the fans wanted to see will get him paid as just another animator. Not a creator.
Member
mitase 
60493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 9/22/09

DomFortress wrote:


gleowine2009 wrote:I've seen a number of movies and series left open like that and never continued. Usually, that's the creator's way of leaving the rest to the viewers imagination, letting the viewer continue the story in his/her own mind. It's a way of allowing the characters to live on long after the story is ended, which is really what we'd like to happen.

Still, a second season would be nice, too.
And it was exactly due to that kind of expectation, that we don't get to see original stories being made in anime.

If Yasuhiro YOSHIURA was planning on making commissioned works, then he'll be making sequels after sequels of anime adaptations. There will be no point of creating anything new, when simply making what the fans wanted to see will get him paid as just another animator. Not a creator.


Continuing a story isn't such a terrible thing.. especially when its of something this noteworthy. Moreover, I seriously doubt you would consider him just another animator for doing so. Its not like he has a huge trite catalog of productions that would indicate such a trend. Try not to sound so vapid (jk) imo.
Posted 9/23/09 , edited 9/23/09

mitase wrote:Continuing a story isn't such a terrible thing.. especially when its of something this noteworthy. Moreover, I seriously doubt you would consider him just another animator for doing so. Its not like he has a huge trite catalog of productions that would indicate such a trend. Try not to sound so vapid (jk) imo.
I'm not vapid(http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vapid) when I meant what I said, while you're the one who thinks that quantity over quality is good. For you think that it's OK for a creator to keep telling the same, or different story based on a franchise, just so he can be more productive and not creative, when I think creation is a need to break free from the past by becoming something original.

And beside, just which one of these existences do you think is more "lacking liveliness, tang, briskness, or force", therefore of being "vapid"; a productive one, or a creative one?
Member
mitase 
60493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 9/23/09 , edited 9/23/09

DomFortress wrote:


mitase wrote:Continuing a story isn't such a terrible thing.. especially when its of something this noteworthy. Moreover, I seriously doubt you would consider him just another animator for doing so. Its not like he has a huge trite catalog of productions that would indicate such a trend. Try not to sound so vapid (jk) imo.
I'm not vapid(http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vapid) when I meant what I said, while you're the one who thinks that quantity over quality is good. For you think that it's OK for a creator to keep telling the same, or different story based on a franchise, just so he can be more productive and not creative, when I think creation is a need to break free from the past by becoming something original.

And beside, just which one of these existences do you think is more "lacking liveliness, tang, briskness, or force", therefore of being "vapid"; a productive one, or a creative one?


I guess my post was misunderstood.. I call you vapid, with a jk next to it by the way, because its quite the opposite. You are very sharp and lively good sir. My sarcasm doesn't translate well in text apparently lol thanks for the link though. I like the cut of your jib
Member
33 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Louisiana, USA
Offline
Posted 9/23/09

DomFortress wrote:


gleowine2009 wrote:I've seen a number of movies and series left open like that and never continued. Usually, that's the creator's way of leaving the rest to the viewers imagination, letting the viewer continue the story in his/her own mind. It's a way of allowing the characters to live on long after the story is ended, which is really what we'd like to happen.

Still, a second season would be nice, too.
And it was exactly due to that kind of expectation, that we don't get to see original stories being made in anime.

If Yasuhiro YOSHIURA was planning on making commissioned works, then he'll be making sequels after sequels of anime adaptations. There will be no point of creating anything new, when simply making what the fans wanted to see will get him paid as just another animator. Not a creator.


I'm still not trying to see what you're getting at here. Time of Eve is Yasuhiro YOSHIURA's original work. He formed out the story, wrote the scripts and directed the series. Why are you talking about commissioned works and adaptations when gleowine made no such reference to those?

He's simply saying that more Time of Eve would be nice, not "MOAR NOAW!!!!!11". This kind of response just seem unwarranted in context.
Posted 9/23/09

Zitch wrote:I'm still not trying to see what you're getting at here. Time of Eve is Yasuhiro YOSHIURA's original work. He formed out the story, wrote the scripts and directed the series. Why are you talking about commissioned works and adaptations when gleowine made no such reference to those?

He's simply saying that more Time of Eve would be nice, not "MOAR NOAW!!!!!11". This kind of response just seem unwarranted in context.
So was Yoshiyuki TOMINO with his Mobile Suit Gundam, and look at what Bandai and their fans did to him with their "MOAR" Gundam mentality. The poor guy had to kept making more Gundam story, otherwise he couldn't make a living as a storyteller. He basically had to negotiate a contract to get paid per royalty based on existing Gundam merchandises(and only at a very small percentage), because Bandai will only pay him per commissioned work, and only if he make "MOAR" Gundam stories. Not to mention is the fact that while he's credited as the original creator of Gundam, Bandai OTOH is the rightful distributor of the Gundam Franchise.

You guys never questioned just how different anime series are made differently. And you all just keep asking "MOAR" without you consider the consequences of your actions. Your own thoughtlessness is the reason why most of today's anime series got no originality.

Why can't you just ask "MOAR" original stories that's like Time of Eve in terms of quality and creativity instead? Are you so afraid of stepping out of your comfort zone and try something new for a change? How can we expect anything original and creative from anime, when people like you just keep asking for the same old things?

But the reason I mentioned totalitarianism today, and I'm sure it was a little surprising to hear that word mentioned in my talk, is that I feel very strongly about going by majority opinion, which is perhaps the negative aspect of democracy. In other words, just because the majority goes a certain way, doesn't considerably mean they are right. There is a difference between numbers and correctness. I think we need to focus on ways to create an environment that would allow for the creation of great art, and I believe very strongly that art will never come from majority opinion. In other words, going back to totalitarianism, I feel very strongly that individual talents must be nurtured. Uniqueness must be nurtured. Another way of saying that is that totalitarianism destroys individual talents. Having said all these critical things, however, you need to understand that if you are running a business or a studio, you will have no choice but to create Toy Story after Toy Story. I understand that, but how can we balance that reality with the ideals I also wish to see realized? There is no perfect answer. You just have to keep on struggling until you find an answer.

Yoshiyuki Tomino Press Conference 09/14/2009(http://fast.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2009-09-14/yoshiyuki-tomino-press-conference/2)
Member
33 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Louisiana, USA
Offline
Posted 9/23/09
You're just blowing this all out of any sense of proportion. And you're making assumptions that you have no way of knowing; who knows if Yasuhiro YOSHIURA is planning on stopping the series here? He definitely has more ground he can cover if he chooses to, and he might already have a second season planned out.

Plus your accusations of me and other posters in the last two paragraphs?

In any case, if Yoshiura makes more Time of Eve, great, I'll be watching more Time of Eve. If he stops it here and makes something else, I'll be watching that something else then. Between Time of Eve and his previous works, Pale Coccon and Aquatic Language, I am very sure I'd enjoy whatever he creates next.

I'd say I'm done here, but I'm curious to see what you'd accuse me of doing next...
Member
mitase 
60493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 9/23/09 , edited 9/23/09

Zitch wrote:

You're just blowing this all out of any sense of proportion. And you're making assumptions that you have no way of knowing; who knows if Yasuhiro YOSHIURA is planning on stopping the series here? He definitely has more ground he can cover if he chooses to, and he might already have a second season planned out.

Plus your accusations of me and other posters in the last two paragraphs?

In any case, if Yoshiura makes more Time of Eve, great, I'll be watching more Time of Eve. If he stops it here and makes something else, I'll be watching that something else then. Between Time of Eve and his previous works, Pale Coccon and Aquatic Language, I am very sure I'd enjoy whatever he creates next.

I'd say I'm done here, but I'm curious to see what you'd accuse me of doing next...


I'm quite sure we all agree with the quoted text; this isn't the extended discussion forum so post accordingly if you please. These elongated posts, which seem rather odd seeing as they go totally off topic at points, can be taken elsewhere. no more buzzkillingtons.
5 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 9/23/09
I just watched Mizu no Kotoba (Aquatic Language) a short 9 minute anime special that Yasuhiro Yoshiura did in 2002. You can really see where he got most his ideas for the show here its pretty cool to watch I suggest checking it out
Member
mitase 
60493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 9/23/09
yeah that looked really interesting.. but I totally forgot about it! thx for the reminder
Posted 9/23/09

mitase wrote:

Zitch wrote:You're just blowing this all out of any sense of proportion. And you're making assumptions that you have no way of knowing; who knows if Yasuhiro YOSHIURA is planning on stopping the series here? He definitely has more ground he can cover if he chooses to, and he might already have a second season planned out.

Plus your accusations of me and other posters in the last two paragraphs?

In any case, if Yoshiura makes more Time of Eve, great, I'll be watching more Time of Eve. If he stops it here and makes something else, I'll be watching that something else then. Between Time of Eve and his previous works, Pale Coccon and Aquatic Language, I am very sure I'd enjoy whatever he creates next.

I'd say I'm done here, but I'm curious to see what you'd accuse me of doing next...
I'm quite sure we all agree with the quoted text; this isn't the extended discussion forum so post accordingly if you please. These elongated posts, which seem rather odd seeing as they go totally off topic at points, can be taken elsewhere. no more buzzkillingtons.
If you think so, why don't you just report a CR mod and let them be the judge of that.

And to say that nobody knows what Yasuhiro YOSHIURA's plan is in the future, why do you think that I said "You guys never questioned just how different anime series are made differently?" In a sense, you don't question how Yasuhiro YOSHIURA's anime is different than any other anime creators' anime by understanding how it was made. You simply just assumed without question, probably just like how you consume any other anime.

You don't want to challenge your intellect is your problem, not mine. That being said, I never stopped you from expressing yourself on an open forum, so why are you shutting me up?
5 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / F
Offline
Posted 9/23/09
If you pay close attention to the details in Episode 6, you will sense that there is a slight shift away from the slice-of-life feeling that the previous episodes have fostered. More are revealed about the android rights group and the ethics committee. I have a feelng that, should there be a new season, much spotlight would be shifted to the conflicts between the andriod rights group and the ethics committee. If done wrong, such a shift may ruin the series, as I think the greatest charm of Time of Eve is its futuristic-slice-of-life vibe.
Member
mitase 
60493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 9/23/09 , edited 9/23/09

DomFortress wrote:


mitase wrote:

Zitch wrote:You're just blowing this all out of any sense of proportion. And you're making assumptions that you have no way of knowing; who knows if Yasuhiro YOSHIURA is planning on stopping the series here? He definitely has more ground he can cover if he chooses to, and he might already have a second season planned out.

Plus your accusations of me and other posters in the last two paragraphs?

In any case, if Yoshiura makes more Time of Eve, great, I'll be watching more Time of Eve. If he stops it here and makes something else, I'll be watching that something else then. Between Time of Eve and his previous works, Pale Coccon and Aquatic Language, I am very sure I'd enjoy whatever he creates next.

I'd say I'm done here, but I'm curious to see what you'd accuse me of doing next...
I'm quite sure we all agree with the quoted text; this isn't the extended discussion forum so post accordingly if you please. These elongated posts, which seem rather odd seeing as they go totally off topic at points, can be taken elsewhere. no more buzzkillingtons.
If you think so, why don't you just report a CR mod and let them be the judge of that.

And to say that nobody knows what Yasuhiro YOSHIURA's plan is in the future, why do you think that I said "You guys never questioned just how different anime series are made differently?" In a sense, you don't question how Yasuhiro YOSHIURA's anime is different than any other anime creators' anime by understanding how it was made. You simply just assumed without question, probably just like how you consume any other anime.

You don't want to challenge your intellect is your problem, not mine. That being said, I never stopped you from expressing yourself on an open forum, so why are you shutting me up?


Maybe I think your being petulant, and an annoyance? I love how you jump to random conclusions; conclusions much like "You don't want to challenge your intellect is your problem, not mine. That being said, I never stopped you from expressing yourself on an open forum, so why are you shutting me up?" A wonderful question that's conveniently answered by the question I just posed to you. You obviously love to berate people with anything that comes to mind... or so it seems.

ps: You're lucky someone hasn't called the grammar police on you. But just in case they do - don't drop the soap xD
Posted 9/23/09 , edited 9/23/09

Thiol wrote:If you pay close attention to the details in Episode 6, you will sense that there is a slight shift away from the slice-of-life feeling that the previous episodes have fostered. More are revealed about the android rights group and the ethics committee. I have a feelng that, should there be a new season, much spotlight would be shifted to the conflicts between the andriod rights group and the ethics committee. If done wrong, such a shift may ruin the series, as I think the greatest charm of Time of Eve is its futuristic-slice-of-life vibe.
I agree, the microscopic feeling of the cafe itself just cannot contain the vast background of the android rights group and the ethics committee. Which I think it's the reason why the cafe owner created that house rule in the first place. Because sometimes, individuals just can't be honest with themselves and each other about their true thoughts and feelings. When they have to constantly worry about social backlashes from various outspoken interest groups.

Therefore, what's the point for making a sequel of "Time of Eve", when the majority of the story itself is going to be about somethings that's essentially bigger than the cafe itself?


mitase wrote:Maybe I think your being petulant, and an annoyance? I love how you jump to random conclusions; conclusions much like "You don't want to challenge your intellect is your problem, not mine. That being said, I never stopped you from expressing yourself on an open forum, so why are you shutting me up?" A wonderful question that's conveniently answered by the question I just posed to you. You obviously love to berate people with anything that comes to mind... or so it seems.

ps: You're lucky someone hasn't called the grammar police on you. But just in case they do - don't drop the soap xD
A simple reply of you despise anything intellectual regarding Time of Eve is more than sufficient.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.