First  Prev  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  Next  Last
Best Country to Live in?
364 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/20/10
Canada, it has the most freedom. Some countries have poor human rights.
67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 6/20/10

Wonkaloo wrote:

Canada, it has the most freedom. Some countries have poor human rights.


uhm.... As a fellow Canadian I wouldn't be so sure of it. Yeah I love my country, yeah I think we've got it pretty good. I think to insist we are THE BEST is Hubris. Not a very Canadian trait. Even if smug self-assurance IS.


67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 6/20/10
The above notwithstanding I have to agree with the "Arrogant Worms" in their thesis that we have the BEST national animal.
--
The US is the eagle, Russia is the bear,
Australia is the kangaroo, cause they're kind of weird down there.
Yeah, India is the tiger, that stands so proud and tall,
But Canada is the greatest of them all.

We are the beaver, we're furry and we're free
Yeah, we are the beaver, we got two big front teeth
Yeah, we are the beaver, we can chew right through small trees
We are the beaver, we are the beaver, we are the beaver.

You might think a rodent is a pretty lame choice
For a national animal, but don't you listen to that voice.
No, cause all them birds and preditors, just take from the land
But the beaver, always gives a dam.

We are the beaver, we got cute little webbed feet
Yeah, we are the beaver, it's bark we like to eat
Yeah, we are the beaver, a nickel we complete.
Yeah, we are the beaver, we are the beaver, we are the beaver.

The eagle flies the sky above and swoops down on its prey
The big bear will maul anyone who dares gets in its way
The tiger is the greatest of the hunters today.
But the beaver it can build dams. Yeah,
The beaver it can build dams, dams, dams.

We are the beaver, we slap our tails when danger's nearby
We are the beaver, we got waterproof hides
Yeah, we are the beaver, we got big bums and beady eyes.
We are the beaver, we are the beaver, we are the beaver.

We are the beaver, our name is often used as a double entedre
We are the beaver, cause in Canada, both French and English belong
Yeah, we are the beaver, and the subject of this song is
We are the beaver, we are the beaver, we are the beaver.
I can't hear you.
We are the beaver, we are the beaver, we are the beaver
Are you getting the point?
We are the beaver, we are the beaver.
We are the beaver

Song and Lyrics by The Arrogant Worms (look them up)
67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 6/20/10
While we're At it.. The Arrogant Worms offer up another reason to at least put Canada in the running for 'Best'

-------------

When I look around me,
I can't believe what I see
It seems as if this country
Has lost its will to live
The economy is lousy,
We barely have an army
But we can still stand proudly
'Cause Canada's really big

We're the second largest country
On this planet Earth
And if Russia
Keeps on shrinking
Then soon we'll be first
(as long as we keep Quebec)

The USA has tanks
And Switzerland has banks
They can keep them, thanks
They just don't amount
'Cause when you get down to it
You find out what the truth is
It isn't what you do with it
It's the size that counts!

Most people
Will tell you
That France is pretty large
But you can put
Fourteen Frances
Into this land of ours
(it'd take a lotta work, it's take a whole lotta work)

We're larger than Malaysia
Almost as big as Asia
We're bigger than Australia
And it's a continent
So big we seldom bother
To go see one another
But we often go to other
Countries for vacation

Our mountains
Are very pointy
Our prairies are not
The rest is
Kinda bumpy
But, man, do we have a lot
(we gotta lot of land, we gotta whole lot of land)

So stand up and be proud
And sing out very loud
We stand out from the crowd 'cause
Canada's really big!

Song and Lyrics by The Arrogant Worms.
364 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/22/10
I'm only saying that Canada has a lot of human rights while some other countries don't. Well if you're so defiant to what I'm saying then tell me what's the best country then.
67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 6/22/10 , edited 6/22/10

Wonkaloo wrote:

I'm only saying that Canada has a lot of human rights while some other countries don't. Well if you're so defiant to what I'm saying then tell me what's the best country then.


Easy there chief I love my country too. but we're NOT perfect.

And before you trumpet to loudly about how well our rights are legally enshrined, look up something called the 'Notwithstanding Clause"

Oh and did I not say (even quoted an entire song) that we have the best national animal. or that we're pretty cool because of our size.

It's not an objection to your point of view that we have a good record vis a vis human rights. (I'm not sure you know what the word defiant means or how it should be used in a sentence) It's an objection to an over the top "We're the Greatest" BS that rankles so much when other countries do it.




1394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 6/22/10 , edited 6/22/10

Wonkaloo wrote:

I'm only saying that Canada has a lot of human rights while some other countries don't. Well if you're so defiant to what I'm saying then tell me what's the best country then.


America has a lot of human right, so does most of western Europe and most of the industrialised world.

So, dear sir-

God save our gracious Queen!
Long Live our noble Queen!
God Save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious
Long to reign over us
God save the Queen!

O Lord, Our God arise,
Scatter her enemies,
And make them fall!
Confound their politics
Frustrate their knavish trick
On thee our hopes are fixed
God Saves our Queen!

Thy choicest gift in store
On her be pleased to pour
Long may she reign
May she defend your laws,
And gives us ever clause
To sing with heart and voice
God saves the Queen!

11 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 6/22/10 , edited 6/22/10
After been living soon 6 years in Japan I would say.. Japan
Sure it's difficult to get into and be accepted by the society over here as a foreigner, but once you are in its well worth it.

Japan is the safest and cleanest place on earth, the people are more kind, helpful and outgoing than any other place on earth, the food is IMO the world's best (oh my god, the food is just AMAZING), night life is great and the cities never sleep, girls are beautiful and stylish, awesome shopping and just an amazing selection of everything you can ever think of - food (izakayas YEAH!), amusement (karaoke bars YEAH), culture places etc. Always something new to discover. Also there is no mass immigration in Japan.. and well i leave it there. You who understand, you understand.

But sure, there are cons aswell with living in Japan, like the hard working hours for example but the pros definitely outnumber the cons and one thing that is for sure is that I will never move back to Sweden again. Never!

Another quite nice feature with japan is that there are no violent gangs here. Obviously.
In Sweden right now there are running around hundreds of these youngsters (95%immigrants) just robbing, raping, assaulting and stabbing people just for the fun of it (and i guess its the same in most other European countries) Many Swedish people don't even dare to leave their homes any more at night. The fear of getting mugged and (gang)raped is too strong... and thinking about it it just feels good being here in a safe Japan. A country where they most of the days fill the headlines with "big" happenings such as an actor shaved his beard or that a guy slipped on a banana.

/Over and out, also you have to excuse my bad english. Cheers!
67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 6/22/10
[



I've always prefered "The Maple Leaf forever" or our official national anthem. God Save the Queen is only a patriotic song and probably out of fashion with those younger than me.

1394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 6/22/10

danneman wrote:

After been living soon 6 years in Japan I would say.. Japan
Sure it's difficult to get into and be accepted by the society over here as a foreigner, but once you are in its well worth it.

Japan is the safest and cleanest place on earth, the people are more kind, helpful and outgoing than any other place on earth, the food is IMO the world's best (oh my god, the food is just AMAZING), night life is great and the cities never sleep, girls are beautiful and stylish, awesome shopping and just an amazing selection of everything you can ever think of - food (izakayas YEAH!), amusement (karaoke bars YEAH), culture places etc. Always something new to discover. Also there is no mass immigration in Japan.. and well i leave it there. You who understand, you understand.

But sure, there are cons aswell with living in Japan, like the hard working hours for example but the pros definitely outnumber the cons and one thing that is for sure is that I will never move back to Sweden again. Never!

Another quite nice feature with japan is that there are no violent gangs here. Obviously.
In Sweden right now there are running around hundreds of these youngsters (95%immigrants) just robbing, raping, assaulting and stabbing people just for the fun of it (and i guess its the same in most other European countries) Many Swedish people don't even dare to leave their homes any more at night. The fear of getting mugged and (gang)raped is too strong... and thinking about it it just feels good being here in a safe Japan. A country where they most of the days fill the headlines with "big" happenings such as an actor shaved his beard or that a guy slipped on a banana.

/Over and out, also you have to excuse my bad english. Cheers!


You must be living in the better parts of Japan。
11 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 6/23/10

orangeflute wrote:

You must be living in the better parts of Japan。


Nah, I've been living in Tokyo, Osaka, Fukuoka and Sendai over these years and I've never seen any crime/ fight or encountered any threatful situation at all. They "myth" that japan has the safest streets on the planet is actually true, i can tell you that. Not even once (except some drunktards, but they are harmless :blush:). It's quite amazing. I see more "evil" one night out in my home city Gothenburg in Sweden, than ive seen in total for 6 years in japan
1394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 6/23/10

danneman wrote:


orangeflute wrote:

You must be living in the better parts of Japan。


Nah, I've been living in Tokyo, Osaka, Fukuoka and Sendai over these years and I've never seen any crime/ fight or encountered any threatful situation at all. They "myth" that japan has the safest streets on the planet is actually true, i can tell you that. Not even once (except some drunktards, but they are harmless :blush:). It's quite amazing. I see more "evil" one night out in my home city Gothenburg in Sweden, than ive seen in total for 6 years in japan


Every city has crimes. I been in LA all my life, and I have not seen crimes personally. So, I can say with the same conviction that LA is safer than Japan, at least the Am Shinkyo don't have very many members here with Sarin Gas.
11 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 6/23/10 , edited 6/23/10

orangeflute
Every city has crimes. I been in LA all my life, and I have not seen crimes personally. So, I can say with the same conviction that LA is safer than Japan, at least the Am Shinkyo don't have very many members here with Sarin Gas.


Japan has one of the lowest (if not THE lowest considering the size of the population) crime rates in the whole world, and most heavy crimes committed in Japan are by foreigners. So sure, please believe whatever you want but the facts and statistics are not on your side. America is one of the most (among civilized countries) violent places on earth where approximately 50 people are getting murdered everyday (+ thousands of muggings, rapes, assaults etc).

Some reading for you:
http://www.japan-101.com/culture/japan_crime.htm

So sorry mate i don't agree there with you. Japan is one of the safest places on earth and will always be.
The same can be said about South Korea as well.
1394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 6/23/10 , edited 6/23/10

danneman wrote:


orangeflute
Every city has crimes. I been in LA all my life, and I have not seen crimes personally. So, I can say with the same conviction that LA is safer than Japan, at least the Am Shinkyo don't have very many members here with Sarin Gas.


Japan has one of the lowest (if not THE lowest considering the size of the population) crime rates in the whole world, and most heavy crimes committed in Japan are by foreigners. So sure, please believe whatever you want but the facts and statistics are not on your side. America is one of the most (among civilized countries) violent places on earth where approximately 50 people are getting murdered everyday (+ thousands of muggings, rapes, assaults etc).

Some reading for you:
http://www.japan-101.com/culture/japan_crime.htm

So sorry mate i don't agree there with you. Japan is one of the safest places on earth and will always be.
The same can be said about South Korea as well.


But, crime exists, and your premise is still wrong. Even if its white-collar crime, crime is still crime.
67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 6/23/10
I Kinda like Toronto.. but my favourite Band disagrees...

-----Lyrics-----
I hate the Skydome and the CN Tower too
I hate Nathan Phillips Square and the Ontario Zoo
The rents too high, the air's unclean
The beaches are dirty and the people are mean
And the women are big and the men are dumb
And the children are loopy 'cause they live in a slum
The water is polluted and the mayor's a dork
They dress real bad and they think they're New York
In Toronto, Ontario

"You know, actually I think I hate all of Ontario"

I hate Thunder Bay and Ottawa
Kitchener, Windsor, and Oshawa
London sucks and the Great Lakes suck
And Sarnia sucks and Turkey Point Sucks

I took a trip to Ontario to visit Brian Mulrooney
He beat me up and he stole my pants and he put me in a tree
I went to see the Maple Leafs and got hit in the head with a puck

"I don't even know how they did it, I was playing the organ at the time!"

Ontario Sucks

"Yup, actually, now that I really think about it, I think I pretty much hate every gosh darn province and territory in our country! Except Alberta. Oh yeah I love Alberta, yeah it's really nice, lots of cows, trees, rocks, dirt. Moo moo moo"

But,
I hate Newfoundland 'cause they talk so weird
And Prince Edward Island is too small
Nova Scotia's dumb 'cause its the name of a bank
New Brunswick doesn't have a good mall
Quebec is revolting and it makes me mad
Ontario sucks, Ontario sucks

"Manitoba's population density is 1.9 people per square kilometer. Isn't that stupid!?"

Saskatchewan is boring and the people are old
And as for the territories, they're too cold!

"And the only really good thing about the province of British Columbia is that it's right next to us!"

'Cause Alberta doesn't suck
But Calgary does

The band is from Alberta's other big City, which where the joke comes in.
First  Prev  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.