First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Eugenics, Salvation or Damnation?
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 10/8/09

digs wrote:

But why would we necessarily need Eugenics if we can turn off disease causing genes? I don't think having a "master race" would be a good thing, but rather keeping the human race diverse but removing the problems of diversity.


Doesn't getting rid of the "problems of diversity" essentially get rid of diversity itself? We wouldn't be all that diverse if we only have a handful of positive traits, and from that stems the problem of determining what parts of diversity are positive. Who determines what parts of diversity are "problems?" What if someone thinks that being ugly is a problem of diversity? Does that mean we get rid of all ugly people? Who determines who is ugly?
23189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / London
Offline
Posted 10/9/09

DomFortress wrote:


farmbird wrote:
Tweeking the genes for "beauty" or '"athletic ability", or other superficial reasons goes against the grain, for me, for 2 reasons, one - it just gives me the creeps-( bad horror flix, atrocities, torture, concentration camps,etc.), & my other reason is due to a frustration w/ religious tradition dictates vs. & my own limited knowledge in the study of scripture. I just haven't run across any specific verses--- but I'd very much like to study any than others may know.

I would like to on record as saying I rather like the idea of the use of genetic engineering for helping people who wish to be parents, but hesitate because of hereditary diseases [ diabetes, sickle cell anemia, hemophilia, these few came 1st to mind, but so many others], or due to genetic weaknesses [obesity, addictions / alcoholism, -again just a start of the list]. I'm sure there are many other productive possibilities. I really don't know why, under careful monitoring & personal choice (- nothing forced-), the use of eugenics should be a concern or question of ethics. Anything humanity puts its mind to can be perverted or abused, but that's not necessarily the best reason to ban or forbid it. It may not be for everyone, so we need to decide for ourselves as individuals.

The old proverbs still shine true that when "beauty is only skin deep", while "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Therefore how wonderful must be for those with real inner beauty to recognize the inner beauty of others.


Ethics is so ambiguous.

Fighting for freedom is so easy when you are born in a free democratic country.

Fighting for "Diversity" is so easy when you are born good looking and healthy.

Before arguing i always put myself in the shoes of all those concerned even this guy.

Arrg... I really don't feel like uploading these pics, some of you won't sleep tonight

Why don't we ask the people whom Eugenics concern more than anyone how do they feel?
Do they want to keep their "diversity"?
2121 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Usa
Offline
Posted 10/9/09
I dont see any evil in that, id like my future to be a little better than average person. like most things it can use for good and bad just depends so person performing the experiment.
Posted 10/9/09 , edited 10/9/09

Nieel wrote:

DomFortress wrote:
The old proverbs still shine true that when "beauty is only skin deep", while "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Therefore how wonderful must be for those with real inner beauty to recognize the inner beauty of others.

Ethics is so ambiguous.

Fighting for freedom is so easy when you are born in a free democratic country.

Fighting for "Diversity" is so easy when you are born good looking and healthy.

Before arguing i always put myself in the shoes of all those concerned even this guy.

Arrg... I really don't feel like uploading these pics, some of you won't sleep tonight

Why don't we ask the people whom Eugenics concern more than anyone how do they feel?
Do they want to keep their "diversity"?

Hey, I don't have to put myself in another person's shoes to know that they won't fit me because they aren't mine to begin with.

If you think "fighting for freedom is so easy when you are born in a free democratic country", is only because you took yourself out of the fight when you don't know "the price of freedom is eternal vigilance".

If you think "fighting for 'Diversity' is so easy when you are born good looking and healthy", is only because you took yourself, your standards, and your values for granted.

That's why you don't argue because you keep forgetting your place in this world.

I do know what it take for me to be at my physical best only because I get to fight for it.

I do know what's at stake for me to be free from others only because I have to fight for my individuality every day internally.

So before you downplay upon other people's ethics, you should know that inner beauty like dignity is universal.
Scientist Moderator
digs 
48106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 10/9/09 , edited 10/9/09

Cuddlebuns wrote:


digs wrote:

But why would we necessarily need Eugenics if we can turn off disease causing genes? I don't think having a "master race" would be a good thing, but rather keeping the human race diverse but removing the problems of diversity.


Doesn't getting rid of the "problems of diversity" essentially get rid of diversity itself? We wouldn't be all that diverse if we only have a handful of positive traits, and from that stems the problem of determining what parts of diversity are positive. Who determines what parts of diversity are "problems?" What if someone thinks that being ugly is a problem of diversity? Does that mean we get rid of all ugly people? Who determines who is ugly?


What I meant by the "problems of diversity" was removing genetic disease. Kinda like how black people are more likely to be genetically pre-disposed to high blood pressure and how some white people are more prone to diabetes or cancers. I'm not talking about physical traits.
4294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 10/9/09

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

'There is no evil to this... As long as all parties agree. You can not force people to mate, but if people are willing to have kids and have those kids spiced up.. then no harm no foul.

People do this to dogs and other animals all the time, we have to call that evil as well if its evil for humans to do it to them selves.

I try not taking my morals from something that thinks its ok to kill off millions of people. As this God of the bible does. Gasp People are doing there own thing, I better flood the world and drowned everyone. (what great show of Morals that bastard of a thing has hmm.)


"I try not taking my morals from something that thinks its ok to kill off millions of people. "

lol, almost all religious have very similiar same morals . i find it hard to believe that your morals dont line up with at leasts 80% of the morals professed in most religions

ne way, is it possible to breed the greatest fighter in the world with this method? is fighting ability geneteic? peace over war
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 10/9/09

JJT2 wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

'There is no evil to this... As long as all parties agree. You can not force people to mate, but if people are willing to have kids and have those kids spiced up.. then no harm no foul.

People do this to dogs and other animals all the time, we have to call that evil as well if its evil for humans to do it to them selves.

I try not taking my morals from something that thinks its ok to kill off millions of people. As this God of the bible does. Gasp People are doing there own thing, I better flood the world and drowned everyone. (what great show of Morals that bastard of a thing has hmm.)


"I try not taking my morals from something that thinks its ok to kill off millions of people. "

lol, almost all religious have very similiar same morals . i find it hard to believe that your morals dont line up with at leasts 80% of the morals professed in most religions

ne way, is it possible to breed the greatest fighter in the world with this method? is fighting ability geneteic? peace over war


Fighting is Genetic. both the violent gene and strength / fiscal dexterity are all genetic. even Intelligence has a lot to do with your Genes.
4294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 10/9/09

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


JJT2 wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

'There is no evil to this... As long as all parties agree. You can not force people to mate, but if people are willing to have kids and have those kids spiced up.. then no harm no foul.

People do this to dogs and other animals all the time, we have to call that evil as well if its evil for humans to do it to them selves.

I try not taking my morals from something that thinks its ok to kill off millions of people. As this God of the bible does. Gasp People are doing there own thing, I better flood the world and drowned everyone. (what great show of Morals that bastard of a thing has hmm.)


"I try not taking my morals from something that thinks its ok to kill off millions of people. "

lol, almost all religious have very similiar same morals . i find it hard to believe that your morals dont line up with at leasts 80% of the morals professed in most religions

ne way, is it possible to breed the greatest fighter in the world with this method? is fighting ability geneteic? peace over war


Fighting is Genetic. both the violent gene and strength / fiscal dexterity are all genetic. even Intelligence has a lot to do with your Genes.


what about fighting skills? peace over war
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 10/9/09

JJT2 wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


JJT2 wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

'There is no evil to this... As long as all parties agree. You can not force people to mate, but if people are willing to have kids and have those kids spiced up.. then no harm no foul.

People do this to dogs and other animals all the time, we have to call that evil as well if its evil for humans to do it to them selves.

I try not taking my morals from something that thinks its ok to kill off millions of people. As this God of the bible does. Gasp People are doing there own thing, I better flood the world and drowned everyone. (what great show of Morals that bastard of a thing has hmm.)


"I try not taking my morals from something that thinks its ok to kill off millions of people. "

lol, almost all religious have very similiar same morals . i find it hard to believe that your morals dont line up with at leasts 80% of the morals professed in most religions

ne way, is it possible to breed the greatest fighter in the world with this method? is fighting ability geneteic? peace over war


Fighting is Genetic. both the violent gene and strength / fiscal dexterity are all genetic. even Intelligence has a lot to do with your Genes.


what about fighting skills? peace over war



"....That takes training..." But the level we are able to reach and are instincts for fighting is in are DNA.
Two people can train just as hard as each other, but the person with the proper Gene will always surpass those without.
Posted 10/9/09

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

JJT2 wrote:
what about fighting skills? peace over war

"....That takes training..." But the level we are able to reach and are instincts for fighting is in are DNA.
Two people can train just as hard as each other, but the person with the proper Gene will always surpass those without.

Superior strategy can always triumph genetic brute force and environmentally conditioned/trained skill. You take two equally matched UFC fighters out of the octagon and onto solid cement, and then you'll see just how helpless they are. When they can't absorb the impact of their own forces and ground techniques.
23189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / London
Offline
Posted 10/9/09

Hey, I don't have to put myself in another person's shoes to know that they won't fit me because they aren't mine to begin with.

It not about pretending to be someone else but EMPATHY,

If you think "fighting for freedom is so easy when you are born in a free democratic country", is only because you took yourself out of the fight when you don't know "the price of freedom is eternal vigilance".

I grew up in Africa, minority Asian in a black/white dominated country, I think I know better than you what its like to fight for freedom because neither the law nor society gave a shit about us.

If you think "fighting for 'Diversity' is so easy when you are born good looking and healthy", is only because you took yourself, your standards, and your values for granted.

Oh no, I do not take what I have been given for granted, I am grateful for everything I have thats why I make it my responsibility to not waste it.

That's why you don't argue because you keep forgetting your place in this world.

I know my place in this world.

I do know what it take for me to be at my physical best only because I get to fight for it.

mehh

I do know what's at stake for me to be free from others only because I have to fight for my individuality every day internally.

Fighting for individuality?Are you that afraid you will get absorbed into the mass?

If your values are truly a pillar to your individuality, then why fear they might be corrupted?

Absence of a spine?

So before you downplay upon other people's ethics, you should know that inner beauty like dignity is universal.

Yes I'm arrogant I downplay other people ethics especially when I think they cannot conceive the notion of the greater good.
4294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 10/9/09

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


JJT2 wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


JJT2 wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

'There is no evil to this... As long as all parties agree. You can not force people to mate, but if people are willing to have kids and have those kids spiced up.. then no harm no foul.

People do this to dogs and other animals all the time, we have to call that evil as well if its evil for humans to do it to them selves.

I try not taking my morals from something that thinks its ok to kill off millions of people. As this God of the bible does. Gasp People are doing there own thing, I better flood the world and drowned everyone. (what great show of Morals that bastard of a thing has hmm.)


"I try not taking my morals from something that thinks its ok to kill off millions of people. "

lol, almost all religious have very similiar same morals . i find it hard to believe that your morals dont line up with at leasts 80% of the morals professed in most religions

ne way, is it possible to breed the greatest fighter in the world with this method? is fighting ability geneteic? peace over war


Fighting is Genetic. both the violent gene and strength / fiscal dexterity are all genetic. even Intelligence has a lot to do with your Genes.




what about fighting skills? peace over war



"....That takes training..." But the level we are able to reach and are instincts for fighting is in are DNA.
Two people can train just as hard as each other, but the person with the proper Gene will always surpass those without.


so they are called fighting geniouses fight?

but does hard work surpass genious? peace over war
Posted 10/9/09

Nieel wrote:
Hey, I don't have to put myself in another person's shoes to know that they won't fit me because they aren't mine to begin with.

It not about pretending to be someone else but EMPATHY,

If you think "fighting for freedom is so easy when you are born in a free democratic country", is only because you took yourself out of the fight when you don't know "the price of freedom is eternal vigilance".

I grew up in Africa, minority Asian in a black/white dominated country, I think I know better than you what its like to fight for freedom because neither the law nor society gave a shit about us.

If you think "fighting for 'Diversity' is so easy when you are born good looking and healthy", is only because you took yourself, your standards, and your values for granted.

Oh no, I do not take what I have been given for granted, I am grateful for everything I have thats why I make it my responsibility to not waste it.

That's why you don't argue because you keep forgetting your place in this world.

I know my place in this world.

I do know what it take for me to be at my physical best only because I get to fight for it.

mehh

I do know what's at stake for me to be free from others only because I have to fight for my individuality every day internally.

Fighting for individuality?Are you that afraid you will get absorbed into the mass?

If your values are truly a pillar to your individuality, then why fear they might be corrupted?

Absence of a spine?

So before you downplay upon other people's ethics, you should know that inner beauty like dignity is universal.

Yes I'm arrogant I downplay other people ethics especially when I think they cannot conceive the notion of the greater good.

Empathy is about dealing with emotional pain and suffering. Therefore the only empathetic quality you do have is the fact that you and those you sympathize with are emotional creatures. So their emotional pain and suffering aren't yours, when you're not the one causing them pain and suffering for being who you are.

I'm a born Chinese Canadian, but I was raised in Taiwan, never knew that I was an outsider among the locals until I learned about the concept of nationality. So I think you have no idea what's it like to be an immigrant among your own ethnic group since birth.

Still thinking you're too special? Well welcome to the club, now make yourself useful. Just like how my grandfather did when he accepted me unconditionally. So if there is a God out there, please bless his soul.
23189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / London
Offline
Posted 10/9/09
I don't feel like arguing its too pointless.

is there a way to close this thread?
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 10/9/09

JJT2 wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


JJT2 wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


JJT2 wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

'There is no evil to this... As long as all parties agree. You can not force people to mate, but if people are willing to have kids and have those kids spiced up.. then no harm no foul.

People do this to dogs and other animals all the time, we have to call that evil as well if its evil for humans to do it to them selves.

I try not taking my morals from something that thinks its ok to kill off millions of people. As this God of the bible does. Gasp People are doing there own thing, I better flood the world and drowned everyone. (what great show of Morals that bastard of a thing has hmm.)


"I try not taking my morals from something that thinks its ok to kill off millions of people. "

lol, almost all religious have very similiar same morals . i find it hard to believe that your morals dont line up with at leasts 80% of the morals professed in most religions

ne way, is it possible to breed the greatest fighter in the world with this method? is fighting ability geneteic? peace over war


Fighting is Genetic. both the violent gene and strength / fiscal dexterity are all genetic. even Intelligence has a lot to do with your Genes.




what about fighting skills? peace over war



"....That takes training..." But the level we are able to reach and are instincts for fighting is in are DNA.
Two people can train just as hard as each other, but the person with the proper Gene will always surpass those without.


so they are called fighting geniouses fight?

but does hard work surpass genious? peace over war


there is only so far training can take you. If you do not have the body, and instincs needed. SO it matters how well trained the one with good genes happens to be. For he always be able to climb to a higher level than one without the Genes.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.