Remove this ad
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
America is Going to Bomb the Moon
Posted 5/21/10
If they blow up the moon, how will migratory birds know when to do certain things?
17886 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 5/21/10

Baka_Gaijin wrote:

If they blow up the moon, how will migratory birds know when to do certain things?

LOL. did not read the post only the topic hmm. Your in the ED, not the General forum and so a lot more reading is needed. Also it be smart to read last few post to see how far the thread has reached.
Posted 5/21/10

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Baka_Gaijin wrote:

If they blow up the moon, how will migratory birds know when to do certain things?

LOL. did not read the post only the topic hmm. Your in the ED, not the General forum and so a lot more reading is needed. Also it be smart to read last few post to see how far the thread has reached.


Yeah yeah. The moon is sure to have resources. I think we should leave it alone and go to Mars, directly. The soil is rich in minerals there with an atmosphere consisting mainly of carbon dioxide, so plants can grow freely, but they need a good water supply, which would have to be routed from elsewhere on Mars. The moon is just so desolate and time is better spent on the old Red to Blue idea.

Blade Runner comes to mind...
17886 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 5/21/10

Baka_Gaijin wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Baka_Gaijin wrote:

If they blow up the moon, how will migratory birds know when to do certain things?

LOL. did not read the post only the topic hmm. Your in the ED, not the General forum and so a lot more reading is needed. Also it be smart to read last few post to see how far the thread has reached.


Yeah yeah. The moon is sure to have resources. I think we should leave it alone and go to Mars, directly. The soil is rich in minerals there with an atmosphere consisting mainly of carbon dioxide, so plants can grow freely, but they need a good water supply, which would have to be routed from elsewhere on Mars. The moon is just so desolate and time is better spent on the old Red to Blue idea.

Blade Runner comes to mind...


Read my last post before yours why I think a moon will make a good base.
Posted 5/21/10

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Baka_Gaijin wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Baka_Gaijin wrote:

If they blow up the moon, how will migratory birds know when to do certain things?

LOL. did not read the post only the topic hmm. Your in the ED, not the General forum and so a lot more reading is needed. Also it be smart to read last few post to see how far the thread has reached.


Yeah yeah. The moon is sure to have resources. I think we should leave it alone and go to Mars, directly. The soil is rich in minerals there with an atmosphere consisting mainly of carbon dioxide, so plants can grow freely, but they need a good water supply, which would have to be routed from elsewhere on Mars. The moon is just so desolate and time is better spent on the old Red to Blue idea.

Blade Runner comes to mind...


Read my last post before yours why I think a moon will make a good base.


True. The moon is closer, after all. It can serve as one massive satellite for whoever controls it. Yet, I think the sun isn't going to become a red giant. Many state that it will just fade instead of explode.
17886 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 5/21/10 , edited 5/21/10

Baka_Gaijin wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Baka_Gaijin wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Baka_Gaijin wrote:

If they blow up the moon, how will migratory birds know when to do certain things?

LOL. did not read the post only the topic hmm. Your in the ED, not the General forum and so a lot more reading is needed. Also it be smart to read last few post to see how far the thread has reached.


Yeah yeah. The moon is sure to have resources. I think we should leave it alone and go to Mars, directly. The soil is rich in minerals there with an atmosphere consisting mainly of carbon dioxide, so plants can grow freely, but they need a good water supply, which would have to be routed from elsewhere on Mars. The moon is just so desolate and time is better spent on the old Red to Blue idea.

Blade Runner comes to mind...


Read my last post before yours why I think a moon will make a good base.


True. The moon is closer, after all. It can serve as one massive satellite for whoever controls it. Yet, I think the sun isn't going to become a red giant. Many state that it will just fade instead of explode.

No yellow suns or mid size suns like ares go red giant, then after a little bit become a white dwarf star.

Stars change as they grow older.
Now if we was lucky enough to live circling a red star. or a star that truly never did unite. AKA a failed star. That star has a much longer life span. even if it burns much cooler so we have to circle it much closer to get the heat needed for are kind to survive.

Posted 5/21/10 , edited 5/21/10

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Baka_Gaijin wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Baka_Gaijin wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Baka_Gaijin wrote:

If they blow up the moon, how will migratory birds know when to do certain things?

LOL. did not read the post only the topic hmm. Your in the ED, not the General forum and so a lot more reading is needed. Also it be smart to read last few post to see how far the thread has reached.


Yeah yeah. The moon is sure to have resources. I think we should leave it alone and go to Mars, directly. The soil is rich in minerals there with an atmosphere consisting mainly of carbon dioxide, so plants can grow freely, but they need a good water supply, which would have to be routed from elsewhere on Mars. The moon is just so desolate and time is better spent on the old Red to Blue idea.

Blade Runner comes to mind...


Read my last post before yours why I think a moon will make a good base.


True. The moon is closer, after all. It can serve as one massive satellite for whoever controls it. Yet, I think the sun isn't going to become a red giant. Many state that it will just fade instead of explode.

No yellow suns or mid size suns like ares go red giant, then after a little bit become a white dwarf star.



I wonder how much damage would be caused to Earth with the detonation of the moon. Large fragments would create nuclear impacts and a very long winter after the catastrophic explosions wiped out all life. People had better not do anything stupid up there.
17886 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 5/21/10

Baka_Gaijin wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Baka_Gaijin wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Baka_Gaijin wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Baka_Gaijin wrote:

If they blow up the moon, how will migratory birds know when to do certain things?

LOL. did not read the post only the topic hmm. Your in the ED, not the General forum and so a lot more reading is needed. Also it be smart to read last few post to see how far the thread has reached.


Yeah yeah. The moon is sure to have resources. I think we should leave it alone and go to Mars, directly. The soil is rich in minerals there with an atmosphere consisting mainly of carbon dioxide, so plants can grow freely, but they need a good water supply, which would have to be routed from elsewhere on Mars. The moon is just so desolate and time is better spent on the old Red to Blue idea.

Blade Runner comes to mind...


Read my last post before yours why I think a moon will make a good base.


True. The moon is closer, after all. It can serve as one massive satellite for whoever controls it. Yet, I think the sun isn't going to become a red giant. Many state that it will just fade instead of explode.

No yellow suns or mid size suns like ares go red giant, then after a little bit become a white dwarf star.



I wonder how much damage would be caused to Earth with the detonation of the moon. Large fragments would create nuclear impacts and a very long winter after the catastrophic explosions wiped out all life. People had better not do anything stupid up there.

Red Giant would swallow all the planets in all the way to Uranus.
So we all die.. be melted down to star matter.
But the power we could create from the moon would make it so we never need to use another drop of fossil fuel ever again. Enough power for everything on are planet. Through clean Solar power panels.
Posted 5/21/10 , edited 5/21/10

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Baka_Gaijin wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Baka_Gaijin wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Baka_Gaijin wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Baka_Gaijin wrote:

If they blow up the moon, how will migratory birds know when to do certain things?

LOL. did not read the post only the topic hmm. Your in the ED, not the General forum and so a lot more reading is needed. Also it be smart to read last few post to see how far the thread has reached.


Yeah yeah. The moon is sure to have resources. I think we should leave it alone and go to Mars, directly. The soil is rich in minerals there with an atmosphere consisting mainly of carbon dioxide, so plants can grow freely, but they need a good water supply, which would have to be routed from elsewhere on Mars. The moon is just so desolate and time is better spent on the old Red to Blue idea.

Blade Runner comes to mind...


Read my last post before yours why I think a moon will make a good base.


True. The moon is closer, after all. It can serve as one massive satellite for whoever controls it. Yet, I think the sun isn't going to become a red giant. Many state that it will just fade instead of explode.

No yellow suns or mid size suns like ares go red giant, then after a little bit become a white dwarf star.



I wonder how much damage would be caused to Earth with the detonation of the moon. Large fragments would create nuclear impacts and a very long winter after the catastrophic explosions wiped out all life. People had better not do anything stupid up there.

Red Giant would swallow all the planets in all the way to Uranus.
So we all die.. be melted down to star matter.
But the power we could create from the moon would make it so we never need to use another drop of fossil fuel ever again. Enough power for everything on are planet. Through clean Solar power panels.


I'd crash the moon into the Middle East and show those #$%^&*&^* who's boss. That is what NASA should do.

It would be cool seeing the moon covered with solar panels. Break out the telescope and look at them all night drunk as Hell. Maybe attach a huge ring to the moon to create some kind of centrifugal force for energy. A giant saw blade to cut invaders in half! xD
The Wise Wizard
67651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / U.S.A.
Online
Posted 5/21/10

Baka_Gaijin wrote:
True. The moon is closer, after all. It can serve as one massive satellite for whoever controls it. Yet, I think the sun isn't going to become a red giant. Many state that it will just fade instead of explode.

Think of the moon as test run for Mars. It isn't really that much more harsh. While the higher gravity of Mars would make it better for extended stays, the lower gravity of the moon makes it easier to get off of. The big advantage the moon has it that it is much closer.


As to the Sun, it seems to be rather well accepted in the scientific community that as the Sun depletes its store of hydrogen, it will balloon into a red giant that will engulf Mercury and Venus, and almost reach Earth's orbit. This isn't an explosion, just an expansion. As the fuel for fusion is further depleted, it will shrink back down in size, becoming a white dwarf, and later a brown dwarf.

We need not worry about this, however, as it is a few billion years down the line. In the "shorter term", the sun could become hot enough within about a billion years to make life on Earth non-viable, as the surface would have become too hot for liquid water. Of course, by that time, humans would either be extinct or spread out among the stars; and perhaps having become something no one alive today would recognize as human.

17886 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 5/21/10

TheAncientOne wrote:


Baka_Gaijin wrote:
True. The moon is closer, after all. It can serve as one massive satellite for whoever controls it. Yet, I think the sun isn't going to become a red giant. Many state that it will just fade instead of explode.

Think of the moon as test run for Mars. It isn't really that much more harsh. While the higher gravity of Mars would make it better for extended stays, the lower gravity of the moon makes it easier to get off of. The big advantage the moon has it that it is much closer.


As to the Sun, it seems to be rather well accepted in the scientific community that as the Sun depletes its store of hydrogen, it will balloon into a red giant that will engulf Mercury and Venus, and almost reach Earth's orbit. This isn't an explosion, just an expansion. As the fuel for fusion is further depleted, it will shrink back down in size, becoming a white dwarf, and later a brown dwarf.

We need not worry about this, however, as it is a few billion years down the line. In the "shorter term", the sun could become hot enough within about a billion years to make life on Earth non-viable, as the surface would have become too hot for liquid water. Of course, by that time, humans would either be extinct or spread out among the stars; and perhaps having become something no one alive today would recognize as human.



Careful what you say. I am getting a lot of flack on my evolution thread about evolution being false. Even after I presented a mountain of facts.
Posted 5/21/10

TheAncientOne wrote:


Baka_Gaijin wrote:
True. The moon is closer, after all. It can serve as one massive satellite for whoever controls it. Yet, I think the sun isn't going to become a red giant. Many state that it will just fade instead of explode.

Think of the moon as test run for Mars. It isn't really that much more harsh. While the higher gravity of Mars would make it better for extended stays, the lower gravity of the moon makes it easier to get off of. The big advantage the moon has it that it is much closer.


As to the Sun, it seems to be rather well accepted in the scientific community that as the Sun depletes its store of hydrogen, it will balloon into a red giant that will engulf Mercury and Venus, and almost reach Earth's orbit. This isn't an explosion, just an expansion. As the fuel for fusion is further depleted, it will shrink back down in size, becoming a white dwarf, and later a brown dwarf.

We need not worry about this, however, as it is a few billion years down the line. In the "shorter term", the sun could become hot enough within about a billion years to make life on Earth non-viable, as the surface would have become too hot for liquid water. Of course, by that time, humans would either be extinct or spread out among the stars; and perhaps having become something no one alive today would recognize as human.



Yeah. It would take a much larger star to create a nova, or a super nova. It's too bad really. The brightest stars burn the shortest, then become spectacular nebulae.

Getting back on topic, the moon is surely a fine frontier to explore. I can only imagine what we might find there besides resources. Maybe traces of other intelligent life left indications of their existence there. Not that anyone could have lived on such a small world with no atmosphere. The idea could be that some extra terrestrial race came by millions of years ago and hid something to be found. People even used to think the moon was made of cheese. I don't think we will be finding any dairy products there, though.

If the moon was blown to smithereens, just imagine the chaos that would unleash. If it didn't directly harm the Earth, the loss of the moon would disrupt the ecosystem here severely. The tides wouldn't come in or recede, nor would the night sky have all its appeal. Solar energy is highly important, but do we need to deface the moon with our equipment? I bet some comity for the defense of the moon's natural state would be formed to resist anything happening to it. Or imagine some douchebags wanting to make the Man in the Moon's face happy-looking by "Terra forming" it. Cosmic face lifts aren't my idea of a good business venture.
The Wise Wizard
67651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / U.S.A.
Online
Posted 5/21/10

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:
Careful what you say. I am getting a lot of flack on my evolution thread about evolution being false. Even after I presented a mountain of facts.

Actually, I was thinking less about evolution, and more about humans changing themselves via technology. Imagine descendants of human consciousnesses that were downloaded into artificial brains that were later fitted into ships that had the facilities to manufacture whatever that mind desired and then interface it. Want to explore a civilization on another world? Just download (or even copy) your consciousness into a replica of that planet's intelligent species, and away you go. While there might be holdouts for the "natural" way, a million years is a long time, many times longer than modern man has been around.

While I would not want to live forever as a human, if before I died I had the opportunity to copy or download my consciousness into an artificial brain that could be enhanced further as technology progressed, I would jump at the chance.

Posted 5/21/10 , edited 5/21/10
I think space exploration is fascinating but it should be put further down on the importance scale, there are many more productive things we could put billions into then space, I'm all for space exploration but I think we need to deal with some of the problems here on earth first. The countless amount of starving people all over the world are more important then investigating planets or building a moon base, or whatever else.
17886 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 5/21/10

TheAncientOne wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:
Careful what you say. I am getting a lot of flack on my evolution thread about evolution being false. Even after I presented a mountain of facts.

Actually, I was thinking less about evolution, and more about humans changing themselves via technology. Imagine descendants of human consciousnesses that were downloaded into artificial brains that were later fitted into ships that had the facilities to manufacture whatever that mind desired and then interface it. Want to explore a civilization on another world? Just download (or even copy) your consciousness into a replica of that planet's intelligent species, and away you go. While there might be holdouts for the "natural" way, a million years is a long time, many times longer than modern man has been around.

While I would not want to live forever as a human, if before I died I had the opportunity to copy or download my consciousness into an artificial brain that could be enhanced further as technology progressed, I would jump at the chance.



That is a lot later. Have you ever read any of Anne Mccaffrey brainship series. I think you would like it. its about a human mind being the instrument and personality of a ship. So the ship became alive, it can run it self, then the ship is suited with a captain known as a bronze, Who task is mattering his choice in job, the type of ship he was given, (also the ship picks their captain.) might be a explorer, a fighter with a battle ship, a scientist type, and more.

but it was a nice series. just about as good as Acorna's series.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.