First  Prev  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  Next  Last
Post Reply How many of you read YAOI Manga?
4787 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Offline
Posted 4/23/13
I dabbled with Loveless and another yaoi, but the first failed to hold my interest and the latter scared me away with the villain's child molestation. Other than that, I just haven't come across alot of yaoi, and I'm often distracted by other manga and manhua that seem more interesting. I've watched a few yaoi Ovas, though. I don't mind reading yaoi; however, I'll pass them up in favor of other genres, especially if I spy a gender-bender.
20385 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Online
Posted 4/23/13

YukariChan8 wrote:

I am a straight girl but i actually prefer yuri over yaoi... is that weird
Not really weird at all. Yuri comes in Seinen, Josei, and Shoujo varieties, so different works are targeted at different audiences both male and female, as well as straight and gay, so its not weird that you might enjoy some of it as its meant for a broad array of people.

...

Yaoi on the other hand is targeted exclusively at a female readership(only incidentally appealing to some gay men due to the subject matter as they are not the target audience). Its not surprising that most men don't like Yaoi even if they don't have a problem homosexuality in general being that it is often just shoujo with gay men. I generally don't have an interest in Yaoi for this reason, and not because is two guys. I'm also not into Bara either for similar reasons as its target audience actually is gay men.

I do find I enjoy reading some Otokonoko(gender-bender/crossdresser) however, as its targeted audience is aimed at males and isn't necessarily aimed at gay males. Prunus Girl is one of my favorite manga and it is about a relationship between a guy and a crossdresser, but it is Otokonoko and not Yaoi.

Generally speaking if you find a manga involving a cute crossdressing trap, whether gay or straight, its probably Otokonoko, and is meant for guys whether they be straight, gay, or just into cross dressing. Generally these feel like reading a shounen or seinen work.

Its probably Bara if its big muscle dudes, or other clearly masculine men, and the Uke/Seme(submissive/dominant) roles so prevalent in Yaoi are inverted, subverted, or averted entirely. After all real gay folks aren't necessarily interested in what the fantasies of straight women expect gay men to be like.

Yaoi is pretty much what you get when you take a typical shoujo romance involving an insecure shy girl and an aggressive pretty boy love interest, and then change the shy girl into a shy pretty boy.



4000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / F / In Alois Trancy's...
Offline
Posted 4/23/13
From time to time but I don't like how there are a lot of smut yaoi series. It seems that whenever someone mentions yaoi, people start thinking of hardcore (dsoamxcsoadmsa). I really liked the anime of World's Greatest First Love but I'm not sure about what I feel about the manga, which is much more vulgar. The art in yaoi is .....all the ukes look the same and all the semes look the same. Also, they gotta stop with the yaoi hands, although it makes me laugh everytime.
24921 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Virginia
Offline
Posted 4/23/13

AsahinaInu wrote:



Because I am bisexual and I know what I'm talking about from personal experience, I disagree with most of what you've said about gay people and their feelings toward yaoi manga. I am however, too lazy to write out a lengthy response targeting which points I disagreed with because I honestly don't care that much. I feel that you are biased and don't really know what you're talking about when you reference the thoughts and feelings of the majority of "gay people." Goodbye.
20385 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Online
Posted 4/23/13 , edited 4/23/13

irtiza9169 wrote:


Because I am bisexual and I know what I'm talking about from personal experience, I disagree with most of what you've said about gay people and their feelings toward yaoi manga. I am however, too lazy to write out a lengthy response targeting which points I disagreed with because I honestly don't care that much. I feel that you are biased and don't really know what you're talking about when you reference the thoughts and feelings of the majority of "gay people." Goodbye.
You might want to reread my post. I don't think I ever claimed to speak for the majority of gay people, nor was that my intent. That is your words and not mine. If anything might be misconstrued, I meant to say straight men generally don't find yaoi appealing, rather than men without that qualifier as I did not mean to include gay men in that statement as is evidenced by my stating that Yaoi can appeal to gay men earlier in that paragraph, and my reasoning is that it specifically is written for another demographic. Also in the Bara segment I'm not sure if it came off of being implied that "this is what real gay men like", but my intent was to say that what gay men like isn't restricted to the tropes that Yaoi manga trends towards to fulfill female fantasies. You can find similar situations to Yaoi in Bara but as it is meant to appeal to specifically to gay people, the situations aren't limited to what women fantasize about.

I never said that gay people don't like yaoi as a rule. I said that they are incidental targets of a genre that is intended towards appealing towards straight women. Yaoi is by definition content about homosexual males written for a female audience. Obviously gay men can often incidentally be interested in this due to the subject material (especially considering its probably hard to find gay material in general), but yaoi isn't specifically targeted at pleasing a gay audience. Its kind of like how in general girl on girl action in porn is meant to fulfill straight male fantasies. Of course there are going to be lesbians that are into it, but it is not made "for lesbians" and thus makes no attempts to please lesbians other than what might already be there. So lesbians who want to see something more than two hot college chicks making out might get nothing out of it.

I'm really honestly surprised at what you got out of my post. I was in no way was claiming to speak for anyone as to what they do like, or can and can't like. I was pointing out that Yaoi isn't THE homosexual genre, as there are many of them, and that Yaoi specifically isn't targeted at a gay audience but for women (by actual definition I might add), and that the intended target audience is probably a bigger factor in why most straight men don't find the appeal in Yaoi, rather than the fact that it contains gay men. Women tend to find it appealing as it is written with them in mind, and gay men who are interested in this specific kind of gay relationship find it incidentally appealing as well, but straight men as well as gay men that aren't into the typical yaoi tropes don't have as much reason to pay attention to it. However you don't find many women reading or talking about Bara, because it isn't written for them, and you find straight guys more often than not going "well I'm not gay but I kind of liked this" with regards to some example of Otokonoko because it actually is aimed at them.
Sogno- 
24880 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/23/13
i don't read it but every time i stumble upon a yaoi picture i find myself thinking it's really hot.. ... cough
24921 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Virginia
Offline
Posted 4/23/13


I'm not going to respond back with an entire essay explaining why I thought you were wrong which, apparently, you have a lot of time on your hands to do. haha. I skimmed through your response because it was ridiculously length, and I'd like to point out specific quotations in your original response from where it looked as if you were talking from a "homosexual's viewpoint" but, nonetheless i don't have the time or care in the world to do so. You did however clear that up in this ridiculous response you left. So, okay.
20385 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Online
Posted 4/23/13

irtiza9169 wrote:

I'm not going to respond back with an entire essay explaining why I thought you were wrong which, apparently, you have a lot of time on your hands to do. haha. I skimmed through your response because it was ridiculously length, and I'd like to point out specific quotations in your original response from where it looked as if you were talking from a "homosexual's viewpoint" but, nonetheless i don't have the time or care in the world to do so. You did however clear that up in this ridiculous response you left. So, okay.
Lol sorry I tend to ramble especially when I am a little tired. So I don't mind you being "lazy" as you said you were being, as long as you forgive me for being stupidly long winded at times. Glad I could clear that up though.

47411 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Csa
Offline
Posted 4/24/13 , edited 4/24/13
I like to read yaoi manga.
Not gonna lie, I have read some bara manga. For most bara manga, the art is not attractive at all. The men are too manly, too muscular, and/or too hairy.


Yaoi is pretty much what you get when you take a typical shoujo romance involving an insecure shy girl and an aggressive pretty boy love interest, and then change the shy girl into a shy pretty boy.

I try to avoid reading this type of yaoi. It defeats the whole purpose of reading yaoi manga. I might as well read shoujo manga if the shy pretty boy (usually an uke) is a shy girl in disguise.

I prefer to read yaoi manga that contains two manly men. I am an anti-girly uke fan.
My new recent favorite yaoi manga is 10 Dance.

Sure, yaoi is hot, but I like to read story. Sometime...I wish that the two main characters could take their time to fall in love. They don't need to jump into action.
A good example of this ↑ is Seven Days. This shounen ai manga is really touching.
A good example of yaoi manga with a nice story is Lovers Doll. I actually cried when I read this manga.
2423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / The land down under
Offline
Posted 4/25/13
I don't understand why so many girls like Yaoi. None of my friends like it and what exactly is so appealing about it?
For a non-yaoi fan, Gravitation gave me quite the surprise lol. taught me to look at the genres before watching.
108 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 4/25/13
I'm a gay man, and I can honestly say yaoi doesn't appeal to me at all. It is clearly made with a female audience in mind. irtiza9169 , I don't know what you really think about gay people, but everyone does not like to see a super-masculine ape-guy f*cking little boys that look like girls. It's so unrealistic that I get more frustration and anger than joy out of reading it. I'm still waiting for the day where a completely normal manga appears, where some of the characters just happen to be gay, and that's the end of that. No pushing in sex in every god damn scene, no fluffy love story, no "this is my first time, take care of me", they're just gay. Like it would be in real fucking life. Getting tired of this stupid assumption that sex is all you can think of or enjoy reading about as a homosexual.

Just talking form a guys perspective here, I know for a fact that my other gay friends don't like either, except for a few lesbian ones. Peeeaacee out.
Posted 4/25/13

firebird380 wrote:

I don't understand why so many girls like Yaoi. None of my friends like it and what exactly is so appealing about it?
For a non-yaoi fan, Gravitation gave me quite the surprise lol. taught me to look at the genres before watching.


Well... do you understand why guys like yuri? or ecchi? Its the same reason why some girls like yaoi.
Posted 4/26/13
I tried to read it.... I don't understand it. I have up on it by the 3rd chapter.
598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F
Offline
Posted 4/26/13
I read and love it.
2464 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F
Offline
Posted 4/26/13
Amazing
First  Prev  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.