First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Double Standards. Can it be eliminated?
4053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Yo Mommas House
Offline
Posted 11/6/09
I bought this up because I notice that double standards can really kill any kind of healthy debate and criticism. Lets take the race relation double standards in America. Now me I personally believe all people should be treated equally regardless of race, religion, and gender. But these silent double standards hamper this. You see I want to get down to the black and white double standards that exist. Everyone know it is common knowledge that if you criticize a black man you are a racist but an african american can readily call anyone racist and not take to much backlash. I believe by us sustaining this relationship we can never get down to the problem. Slavery has ended 100 years ago yet it is still "the white man this" or the "black man that". I mean none of us lived in that time period so why are we so hatefull? Does anyone agree that we should have an open discussion on race relations? Should the media always jump to on every racial case and blow it up? I believe the media does that for ratings honestly it just pisses me off especially more when someone says a racist thing to an african american, he is punished but it is still like we demand more, now we want him to lose his job. Perfect example was Don Imus. Let me first state yes it was wrong for him to call those girls, "Nappy headed lil hoes". At the same time he apologized, met up with the girls and talked to them. They forgave him, after that that should have been the end of that whole story but instead you have Al phony ass Sharpton still going on and on about this. This is why old wounds never tend to close because people always tend to bring up some sad thing that happened in the past to justify their stance. Some of them even do it maliciously. If we cant open mindly discuss this issue this will stay the same for the years to come which is ridicoulus.

Next thing religion (oh man here comes the bomb ). You know really this is the new double standard in my opinion. Right now as it stands due to some events that taken place certain people of some religious groups are being stereotyped because of the actions that others take. This includes largest muslims and jews mainly. On the one hand you have the Jew, due to Israel's actions some hidden anti-semities who never really liked jews to begin with are all jumping on the, "lets criticize Israel boat" and rather criticizing the content on what Israel is doing they try to relate it to some type of jewish dominance behavior. The same thing happens with muslims although there isn't any deragatory name for critizing them many are being stereoype for being racist, all of them are terrorist, treat women badly. We dont really criticize the content of their behavior without being hatefull towards the religion. Now with these two the question is how can anyone talk about the important issues that do matter without the smear words? One day can a muslim effectively criticize an Israeli or any jew without being called a racist? Can a jew do the same without being called a zionist? How can this cycle break?

In conclusion we should all be pissed how the media is blowing up these issues leaving old wounds open and issues never to be resolved. But us allowing them to do that people will continue to suffer and be seperated into their little groups. What do you guys think?
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 11/6/09 , edited 11/6/09
You hear that guys? Now that slavery has ended there’s no more racism! With all due respect, Drizza, I have to profoundly disagree. African American’s have a reason to be outraged. I’ve gone over this in another thread. I’ll try to find the post and just copy it over, but consider that African Americans make up less than 13% of the US population and YET more than 70% of the prison population. Even though 90% of serial killers in America (the only people we should be putting to death if any at all,) are Caucasian African Americans are also significantly more likely (many times more likely,) to be sentenced to capital punishment. Those who’re sentenced are less likely to have the ruling overturned than a white person in comparable circumstances.

Cops are more likely to use unnecessary force or even to gun down an unarmed African American than any other ethnicity. Young children are taught that black people are ugly. The only racial slur you ever hear in music is the N-word. Could you imagine if somebody got up and started singing about how Arabs are sand people, Jews are thieves, Mexicans are gangsters, or whites are all racist? There would be outrage.

What I think is funny is that anytime you call a white person racist everyone accuses you of pulling the race card, even if that person is legitimately racist. Meanwhile, if you call a black person racist everyone sits around and nods along like you’ve just presented an intriguing new perspective.

Blacks are less like to get a job even if they’re more qualified. The quantum disadvantages of being African American in America still exist even if slavery has magically disappeared. Yet, whenever Obama relates, “Yeah, I faced some unique problems as a black man in a largely Caucasian industry of politics,” we accused him of using the race card. Fox News accused him of using the race card. Even some democrats accused him of using the race card.

Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe he really did face unique challenges as a black politician? We automatically assumed he was using his race as a crutch.

Think about that white guy who called Obama a liar to his face. He was accused of being racist. The media got a load of the accusation, came together, and had a good laugh. How absurd! They called him racist for his political opinion that can only vaguely be related to race? Ha-ha-ha!

Now google search, “Obama’s racist preacher.” The news all came together in condemnation of that dude. Even though he didn’t say anything racist! I listened to his speech from beginning to end. A lot of the stuff he said was fucking weird (like at one point he claims the bible says “GD America,”) but none of it was racist. He said Hillary Clinton has never experienced being a black man in America. Guess what!? Hillary Clinton has never experienced being a black man in America! He said that a white dominated government injected African American's with STDs, but guess what?! That's a historical fact. This went on until 1970! The reverend was alive when it was happening, and you say they have no reason to be angry?

Anytime a black person acknowledges that there is some racial animosity in our society we accuse them of calling the race card or being racist themselves.

That’s bull shit. I’m sorry, I think you and I are the opposite ends of this issue. I think the double standard is against blacks.
4053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Yo Mommas House
Offline
Posted 11/6/09
Great response and I am not being sarcastic. I have a little difference my lunch break coming soon so I will stress it.
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 11/6/09 , edited 11/6/09

drizza wrote:

Great response and I am not being sarcastic. I have a little difference my lunch break coming soon so I will stress it.


I know you weren’t being sarcastic, and I do see where you’re coming from. I just disagree. I think that a lot of white people, most white people, in America are legitimately prejudiced against blacks. Not necessarily to the degree that I would call them bigots or racists, but they generalize and stereotype even if subconsciously. Some do this openly.

I’ll give you an example from my personal life. Some time back I went to see the movie, “Hell Boy,” at the movie theatre with my dad’s new wife. She wanted to bond with us. She seemed like a sweet, chubby, and open minded woman. She wasn’t judgmental at all. Well, when we got there it was in what we discovered to be an almost all black neighborhood. There was a huge line because the movie had just come out. I don’t remember seeing another white person there. Somewhere in the crowd a fight broke out and she freaked out and dragged us back to the car, bought new tickets, and we went to a different theatre.

On the way she said, “I’m not racist but…” now mind you most racist things anybody will ever say are preceded by those four words, “It’s scarier when black people do that stuff because they’re so noisy.”

Now, would I saw she’s racist? Not really, she has nothing against African Americans. She hasn’t a negative bone in her body. She certainly doesn’t think she’s superior to them, so she’s not a bigot. But she associated them with certain behaviors based on the number of pigments in their skin.

We do this playfully too. “Blacks have big penises,” which is statistically false, “Blacks play great basket ball,” or “Blacks are so superstitious.”

I call this “purse clasping prejudice.” It’s not dangerous. It just demonstrates an individual bias, a misconception, a generalizing. People make assumptions about you based on your ethnicity. Let me use a younger me as another example. When I was thirteen my grandmother took me to church and the pastor was a middle aged black man named Jason. Jason’s dream is to be a Christian rapper. But, when he preached he was so articulate. He used proper grammar at all times. He spoke very well. This impressed me about him. It made me think he was very intelligent. Yet, there was another preacher there too. He was a squat elderly white man. He spoke with the same diction, the same properness. I wasn’t at all impressed, and why not?

Simply put, because he was white. I assumed that Pastor Jason would have bad grammar or use shortcuts in his speech because he was black. Today I consider myself more mature than that, and I’ve never had ill will or a sense of superiority to African Americans. But it reminds me of Harlem’s “The New Negro.”

It discussed how Americans, black or white, have this delusional image of a black man in America, as if it was universally applicable. He called that the “Old Negro.” He then presented a hopeful outlook of the future saying that eventually we would see the “New Negro,” or the black man defined as an individual and not as a black man.

He wasn’t saying that there’s no African American culture or that blacks in America don’t face unique challenges. He was saying that they’re not defined by their ethnicity so it would be incongruous with the truth and simply prejudice for us to act as if they are.

Yet, that’s what we do. And often times an unwitting black will point it out and be like, “Hey, that’s not cool.” And then he’s calling the race card. Then he’s suddenly racist….

Anyway, I await your response.
4053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Yo Mommas House
Offline
Posted 11/6/09 , edited 11/6/09
Actually reading your second paragraph I agree. And this is my main gripe with the whole issue and what this double standard is causing. People really do have an issue with African Americans due to some of our actions. I am african american myself I now how we act in public and things we do. It is embarassing sometimes and it makes me look bad when I try to present myself to others. Al Sharpton like I said will protest anything he hears from a white person saying anything racist towards a black but flip the script in Hip Hop we can talk down on our race and our women and it is jammed. I like hip hop lol but I dont act what I hear though. I have much more I will tak about my disagreement with your first paragraph I have to eat first.

Ok I am back anyways regarding your first paragraph. The reason why the bulk of us are being pulled over more often is because of our statistics as you pointed out. Many of us especially the ones who live in bad neighborhoods are more likely to have drugs, weapons, or commit a crime vs a suburban neighborhood. We have to recognize this, but to sit and tell our police officers not to pull people over in bad areas is wrong in my opinion. They need to stay in those bad areas to make sure crimes such as the recent one in Chicago where the 16 year kid got killed doesnt happen. Gah I edit more when I get home. I understand what your saying on your post below but if security isnt raised in these neighborhoods even though it is racial profiling statistic show these are areas violent then what do we do? Wait for someone to call 9-11 I grew up in these kinds of neighborhoods with my mother nobody snitches. Dude if you snitch you can get your ass kicked and shit sticks with you all the way untill you get out. I grew up all my life fighting over bullshit, terrorizing some of my neighborhoods and I can get away with it to because nobody will rat you out. I am not a rat by no means my friends to this day do some pretty messed up stuff but if I hang with you I wont tell on you. Thank goodness my dad finally beat it out of me. Man I was bad coming up especially living with my mother and I am surprised I changed this much.

Now what your saying about terrorist is completely different. I am not telling the cops to terrorize these neighborhoods, drop bombs on them to solve all the crime none of that. Arrests based of your race rather then the crimes you commit is wrong, lol you lost me there a bit with the nazis (lol I am not saying throw them into concentration camps and force labor on them). But on topic I believe everyone should be able to openly debate this topic without being called a racists. Even our latino neighborhoods are bad but if we speak about it we just hate them because they are immigrants. We need to discuss these issues to see how to lower this. I dont blame minorities because of their skin color rather their environment many of them are raised in. Schools are bad, not enough activities, liquor store and a gun store around the corner. All this shit is there to set them up for failure. Have you ever seen boys in the hood? Look at what those guys go through from coming up all the way untill they get older thats all they know is the streets.

I dont agree with police brutatilty just like you and if a police just beats on a minority for no reason then of course he is wrong and is abusing his power. But I do agree with increased survaillance in those neighborhoods.
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 11/6/09

drizza wrote:

Actually reading your second paragraph I agree. And this is my main gripe with the whole issue and what this double standard is causing. People really do have an issue with African Americans due to some of our actions. I am african american myself I now how we act in public and things we do. It is embarassing sometimes and it makes me look bad when I try to present myself to others. Al Sharpton like I said will protest anything he hears from a white person saying anything racist towards a black but flip the script in Hip Hop we can talk down on our race and our women and it is jammed. I like hip hop lol but I dont act what I hear though. I have much more I will tak about my disagreement with your first paragraph I have to eat first.

Ok I am back anyways regarding your first paragraph. The reason why the bulk of us are being pulled over more often is because of our statistics as you pointed out. Many of us especially the ones who live in bad neighborhoods are more likely to have drugs, weapons, or commit a crime vs a suburban neighborhood. We have to recognize this, but to sit and tell our police officers not to pull people over in bad areas is wrong in my opinion. They need to stay in those bad areas to make sure crimes such as the recent one in Chicago where the 16 year kid got killed doesnt happen. Gah I edit more when I get home.


I’m afraid I cannot disagree more. I cannot support racial profiling of any kind. It’s like how we subject people who look to be of “Middle Eastern Decent,” to extra security checks at the airport. Anytime the government wants to violate somebody’s rights that’s the excuse. It’s all about national security. With law enforcement agents it’s all about civil security.

Either way we cannot be so obsessed with this fear mongering that we’re willing to trade our freedom and equality in exchange for a sense of security. It’s nice to feel safe but I’d rather live in a land without law than a land where the law protects the majority by sacrificing the minority. That’s the fascist ideology. You make a small sacrifice for the greater good of the system and society. That’s the ideology of Hamas, of terrorists, of the Nazis. That’s an ideology that’s dangerous and must be fought back at every corner.

This is how I feel. I will not sacrifice liberty for security. I certainly won't sacrifice equality for security.
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 11/6/09 , edited 11/6/09

You edited your post while I was making my reply, I guess. Don’t you hate when that happens?

I wasn’t saying that pulling somebody over because of their skin is comparable to the Nazi atrocities in girth. I was saying that it’s comparable based on the ideology. Don’t forget that the vast majority of the Nazis had nothing to do with the atrocities, at least no directly. Consider that only 19 Nazi leaders were convicted of crimes during the Nuremberg Trials. Amongst those only twelve of the leaders committed crimes that the court found worthy of the death penalty. The other seven served lengthy prison sentences.

The Nazi greeted one another with “hail,” meaning “health.” “Hail Hitler,” means, “Health to Hitler.” They adopted the swastika as their symbol because it represented cosmic peace and prosperity. They were socialists who supported higher taxes for better social programs. They wanted to advance science, secularize society, protect the environment, and even established animal right’s programs.

However, a part of their ideology said that groups like the Gypsy were more likely to be thieves so they began generalizing and profiling the Gypsy. They thought that the Jews were more likely to have dishonest dealing and to cheat Germans. So they began profiling them. But, once you start making distinct dividing lines like this it always progresses. They started requiring Jews to wear stars so that they could profile them more easily. They started harassing them in the streets to make sure they weren’t doing anything wrong. They started restricting their mobility, started segregating society, started rounding people up and throwing them into gas chambers.

It’s like abortion. First people supported early term abortions. Then they supported late term abortions. Now Peter Singer and other abortion advocates even want infanticide of handicapped newborns.

I don’t mind monitoring bad neighborhoods, but there are neighborhoods with largely white populations that are just as bad if not worse and yet the police aren’t profiling whites. What bothers me is that even in a city with relatively low crime rates like New York City blacks are still being profiled.

7 out of 10 prisoners in the United States are black. We justify this with the exaggeration of statistics that show blacks are slightly more likely to commit violent crimes than whites. But they’re not SEVEN TIMES more likely. Hispanics are also more likely, statistically, to commit violent crimes. Yet less than 3 in ten of our prisoners are Hispanic even though Hispanics are a larger minority than African Americans.

It’s just the blacks being singled out. Why are they being singled out? Because they’re being profiled. To profile you must make a distinct dividing line. When you separate people like this you alienate them, when you alienate them you breed animosity, when you breed animosity racism is born and born again.

Posted 11/6/09

I mean none of us lived in that time period so why are we so hatefull?


Because it still continues to happen today. I'll take an instance from two years ago:

My mother and I were shopping inside a bakery for chocolates. While standing outside the shop I noticed that all the people that worked there were staring at her, one even had the nerve to follow her around the store, but the funny thing is the white guy that was browsing wasn't even being paid attention to. That’s the kind of shit that pisses me off. As if all African Americans are interested of stealing out of every store they go into.

Everday I'm being judged because of the color of my skin, even by my own people. It may sound like I'm over exaggerating but it happens. I'm tired of the close-minded dumbasses I continue to run into. I don't judge you because of your skin, so why are you doing the same to me?
4053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Yo Mommas House
Offline
Posted 11/6/09
Well we kind of dwelled off topic but oh well this is interesting as well. I still dont want to dwell too much into nazi germany here. What hitler did and what I am talking about are two different things. As to hitler was killing people and forcing labor on them, not really protecting their citizens or stop violence, I am saying something else. Although you may believe it is racial profiling and you have a point it still doesnt mean we dont increase security in areas where violence is high? Why decrease it or maintain the currrent? Speaking realistically in white neighborhoods where I use to live with my father there is really no violence there. I can literally leave my door open when I leave my house and come back everything still in tact. Not to say all white people are good of course many of them commit crimes and some are notorious for kidnapping children. But can you point out an example of neighborhoods that are largely white that commit crimes? If you can then that means that the media is reporting inaccurate information.

Like you I want to see this number of blacks going to jail decrease. One of the main and silly reasons I believe is possesion of marjiuana (I cant spell that so bear with me.) This is another reason why I wanted Ron Paul to win because he would legalize it therefore we wont be building even bigger prisons for such a small crime. Now a debate on how bad that drug is a different issue as well but if you want to discuss it we can.

It sucks that blacks are being singled out your right but the question is if the behavior doesnt change wil they continue to be singled out? Blacks are being hit the worse by unemployment and many of them drop out of high school and have kids at early ages. When you have no money and your desperate high chances are your gonig to rob someone. You have to eat and you aint got no education to land yourself a decent career. How can we combat this? We just cant keep staying quiet about this it has to be debated and spoken about. I want to see a day where blacks are ignorantly stereotyped. I been to other countries man many people think all blacks do is play sports or rap which is further from the truth. Thats just what they see on TV. Many arabs wanted me to allow them to call me a nigga. All this comes from bad behavior glorified and nothing being done to put a cap on it.
Posted 11/6/09
sets back and watches seaph and drizza o.o T.T
Posted 11/6/09 , edited 11/6/09

SeraphAlford wrote:
It’s just the blacks being singled out. Why are they being singled out? Because they’re being profiled. To profile you must make a distinct dividing line. When you separate people like this you alienate them, when you alienate them you breed animosity, when you breed animosity racism is born and born again.

I agree. I would argue that if we conduct the same kind of profiling on Caucasians(so I'm proper, because I only allow myself and my close friends to make fun of my ethnicity and vice verso ), then the big picture shouldn't be as alienating as what it is now.

Speaking of which, is this even an accurate profiling of a Caucasian family value?
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 11/7/09

drizza wrote:

Well we kind of dwelled off topic but oh well this is interesting as well. I still dont want to dwell too much into nazi germany here. What hitler did and what I am talking about are two different things. As to hitler was killing people and forcing labor on them, not really protecting their citizens or stop violence, I am saying something else. Although you may believe it is racial profiling and you have a point it still doesnt mean we dont increase security in areas where violence is high? Why decrease it or maintain the currrent? Speaking realistically in white neighborhoods where I use to live with my father there is really no violence there. I can literally leave my door open when I leave my house and come back everything still in tact. Not to say all white people are good of course many of them commit crimes and some are notorious for kidnapping children. But can you point out an example of neighborhoods that are largely white that commit crimes? If you can then that means that the media is reporting inaccurate information.

Like you I want to see this number of blacks going to jail decrease. One of the main and silly reasons I believe is possesion of marjiuana (I cant spell that so bear with me.) This is another reason why I wanted Ron Paul to win because he would legalize it therefore we wont be building even bigger prisons for such a small crime. Now a debate on how bad that drug is a different issue as well but if you want to discuss it we can.

It sucks that blacks are being singled out your right but the question is if the behavior doesnt change wil they continue to be singled out? Blacks are being hit the worse by unemployment and many of them drop out of high school and have kids at early ages. When you have no money and your desperate high chances are your gonig to rob someone. You have to eat and you aint got no education to land yourself a decent career. How can we combat this? We just cant keep staying quiet about this it has to be debated and spoken about. I want to see a day where blacks are ignorantly stereotyped. I been to other countries man many people think all blacks do is play sports or rap which is further from the truth. Thats just what they see on TV. Many arabs wanted me to allow them to call me a nigga. All this comes from bad behavior glorified and nothing being done to put a cap on it.


I’m not talking about the holocaust. I’m talking about the Nazi political party prior to that point. Historically we know that it did culminate in genocide and servility, but we also know that this is not where it began. It began with more subtle steps to progress racial alienation. It began with police specifically targeting Jews. What I’m pointing out is that targeting the Japanese in WWII, targeting people who “Look Middle Eastern,” and the continued targeting of blacks is something that can very easily progress into more serious forms of discrimination.

There’s nothing wrong with increasing security in neighborhoods with high crime rates, but that’s not what we’re doing. Even in largely white towns and cities the African American minority makes up the majority of the prison population. We’re talking about blacks from the same or similar backgrounds to the whites who’re being arrested at a much slower rate. It’s not just the arrests either. It’s the police brutality, the disproportionate severity of sentencing.

As far as white areas where crimes rates are high: look no further than where I am. Oklahoma has terrible crime rates despite a relatively small and significantly Caucasian populace. Most of our crimes are family related, child abuse, spousal abuse, ext. Most of those are related to kids. We’ve got the 2nd highest infant mortality rate in the nation and are number one for teenage pregnancies with a disproportionately large percentage of those teenage mothers being impregnated by adults. We’ve also got a serious problem with drunk driving and the abuse methamphetamines and prescription drugs.

Also, did it ever strike you as odd that most of these studies claiming that blacks are more likely to commit crimes were conducted by white people? I’m not saying that they’re lying or that their results are wrong, but that does seem like a conflict of interest to me. Like asking a right wing fundamentalist Christian to do a study concerning the comparative IQs of Evangelicals and Sunni Muslims.

You mentioned Ron Paul and while that would drag us even further off topic, he’s a wing nut. I’m sorry, but the guy wants to withdraw from the United Nations and disband the CIA. I agree that marijuana should be legal but for me that’s not a matter of looking at how it impacts society. It’s a matter of looking at individual rights and liberties. What do I have to do to have rights to my own body, get pregnant? Well, you and I already know that we disagree as to what role the government should play in society.

I think it’s funny that African Americans got hit harder by the unemployment as far as ethnicity goes. Consider who got hit the hardest as far as industries go. The oil industry, coal industry, and other industries dominated by Caucasians. CNN recently reported men were hit significantly harder by the unemployment than women were. They accredited this to the fact that the industries shutting down were largely male industries, like coal and oil. Why doesn’t this apply to race? Since white industries are getting hit the hardest you’d imagine that white employees would get hit the hardest… The only explanation I can come up with is that the companies are favoring white employees over black employees.

That leads me back to my original point. Discrimination starts with a dividing line. I would have no problem with showing our police a chart of crime rates that make no mention of a city’s ethnic background and letting them plot where their efforts need to be concentrated based on that. The problem is that they say, “well this city is largely black and blacks are criminals so let’s focus our effort there.”

But one way or the other, something does need to be done and what we’re doing just isn’t working. Affirmative Action, for example, is designed to level the playing field and provide a counter balance for prevalent racism against African Americans. Yet, African Americans are still living in poverty, getting paid less, having harder times finding jobs despite being better qualified, and being hit harder than the whites by an economic lash against white industries.

I think the solution isn’t to start targeting them with the hope of forcing them into better behavior. I think the solution isn’t to start fighting racism with racism. I think we need to start injecting money into the systems of African American and other poor communities. By doing this we’ll allow the communities to repair themselves. When people have more money they spend more money. Existing businesses prosper and new businesses form and this creates new jobs which generate more money!

The problem is that we’re only putting money into white cities and white neighborhoods. People look at black neighborhoods and balk. Largely because a bunch of white guys in lab coats claim that black people are evil.
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 11/7/09

DomFortress wrote:


SeraphAlford wrote:
It’s just the blacks being singled out. Why are they being singled out? Because they’re being profiled. To profile you must make a distinct dividing line. When you separate people like this you alienate them, when you alienate them you breed animosity, when you breed animosity racism is born and born again.

I agree. I would argue that if we conduct the same kind of profiling on Caucasians(so I'm proper, because I only allow myself and my close friends to make fun of my ethnicity and vice verso ), then the big picture shouldn't be as alienating as what it is now.

Speaking of which, is this even an accurate profiling of a Caucasian family value?


IN that case we have to find ways not to single out other races from each other.. one would be to eliminate the race and sex on the paper work for jobs, and other things. instead go only by education and experience. Same for collages based on grades not race or sex.
financial aid based on income not on race and sex. ( I am all for equality in everything. But I do not think that is what other people want.)
(right now non-white groups get more financial aid for schooling, no matter there income.) Poor white kids do not get the Aid other races get. This also creates the feelings of hate toward other ethnic groups. Fair treatment in education and work through non racist recruiting methods is the first step, to weaken and later destroy profiling and racism.
Posted 11/7/09

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


DomFortress wrote:


SeraphAlford wrote:
It’s just the blacks being singled out. Why are they being singled out? Because they’re being profiled. To profile you must make a distinct dividing line. When you separate people like this you alienate them, when you alienate them you breed animosity, when you breed animosity racism is born and born again.

I agree. I would argue that if we conduct the same kind of profiling on Caucasians(so I'm proper, because I only allow myself and my close friends to make fun of my ethnicity and vice verso ), then the big picture shouldn't be as alienating as what it is now.

Speaking of which, is this even an accurate profiling of a Caucasian family value?


IN that case we have to find ways not to single out other races from each other.. one would be to eliminate the race and sex on the paper work for jobs, and other things. instead go only by education and experience. Same for collages based on grades not race or sex.
financial aid based on income not on race and sex. ( I am all for equality in everything. But I do not think that is what other people want.)
(right now non-white groups get more financial aid for schooling, no matter there income.) Poor white kids do not get the Aid other races get. This also creates the feelings of hate toward other ethnic groups. Fair treatment in education and work through non racist recruiting methods is the first step, to weaken and later destroy profiling and racism.

Then it's only fair that we should also factor in moral and ethic as barometers for profiling people who have the ability to make sound judgments. Whereas people with opportunity obviously can have more experiences, while those with wealth can afford good educations.

Personally, I look and judge people not based on their grades, wealth, ethnicity, or just about any other worldly value that can be turned into a stereotype. Instead, I compare their abilities on logic and introspection with mine, so I can tell how well they can form their own judgment based on how objectively their experiences and resources are.
4557 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bermuda Triangle
Offline
Posted 11/7/09
omg wall of text

(scrolls through and reads the smaller posts, and may decide to read wall of text later)

This is certainly one of the more interesting topics I'll say that. Discrimination in general is a rather interesting phenomenon and I personally think it's never going to wear off 100% for several reasons:

1. cultural lag - depending on how you were raised, older tradition may still survive despite any major movements. Those traditions are taught by parents and initial knowledge on any area of intellect superimposes on any similar knowledge after that. So in other words, it takes a lot of effort to understand the other side of any issue.

2. feeding the fire - even if we want to put away the concept of racism there's always someone who brings it up again. This goes for just about all issues in general. Sometimes people like to make jokes about it (which I find funny for any race including mine), which sadly enough further assesses the idea of racism and also establishes what those stereotypes are. Sometimes people REALLY DO act their stereotype and give people a reason to be racist.

3. It's implicit in our brain - descrimination after all is just the catagorization of things based on outstanding attributes. Like if you see a bunch of teenagers or young adults hanging out all with the same color theme solicitating all the time, most likely they're part of a gang. Then again they could be just a bunch of male cheerleaders who always hang out after practice, but that case is less likely.

The racist thing is never going to end
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.