First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Mother Theresa
Posted 11/10/09 , edited 11/10/09
Hello/Good morning/evening, dear friends.

My question is: do you believe in Mother Theresa? Do you think she was almost a saint or was she fake as Carmen Electra's boobs? I'm staying neutral (for now) and just want to know your opinion about her.

The point of the thread is a discussion of this controversional figure. You all know what she did but there are a lot of people staying she didn't anything like that. I'll post some videos which belong to the last statement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WQ0i3nCx60
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKkcDgeYBdk&feature=related

Oh, nuts, I made a typo in the title
I'd glad to ask somebody to fix it.
933 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / PHILIPPINES
Offline
Posted 11/10/09
yes I do believe in her ...... no matter what they say ... I'll stick to my faith
Posted 11/10/09 , edited 11/10/09

dustinemarlee wrote:

yes I do believe in her ...... no matter what they say ... I'll stick to my faith


Even if it turns out that your faith would be dead wrong? [hypothetical question]

Editor note: Edited to make it more obvious that it's hypothetical.
Posted 11/10/09

ShroomInferno wrote:


dustinemarlee wrote:

yes I do believe in her ...... no matter what they say ... I'll stick to my faith


Even when your faith is dead wrong?


Hi, look, I would like you not to use the "wrong" word please because I'm just trying to make a normal discussion without fights. OK?
I'm not offending, just asking. You may not to follow my requests ^_^
Posted 11/10/09 , edited 11/10/09

LadyVertz wrote:
Hi, look, I would like you not to use the "wrong" word please because I'm just trying to make a normal discussion without fights. OK?
I'm not offending, just asking. You may not to follow my requests ^_^


Hi, look, I would like you to re-read the post, and understand that it's in hypothetical terms. I'm just asking if he'd stick to his faith even if he'd find out that it's wrong. Simple. No offending material present.

Edited it to make it more obvious that it's hypothetical.
Posted 11/10/09 , edited 11/10/09
I've been owned. Thanks for making your post obvious for me.

Also: please tell us your opinion on topic.
Posted 11/10/09 , edited 11/10/09
From what I can tell she gave people hope, but other than that she didn't do anything admirable, in my opinion. Doctors without borders are a lot more admirable. They go to war-stricken countries, and offer their assistance even though they have to provide all of this help in really poor conditions as they've got barely any material to do proper surgeries, for proper medication for the wounded, and sick. They don't just talk, they actually DO something. Maria Theresa just quickly caressed the sick, and wounded people's face, and moved on. But in terms of hope, yes, she surely did have an influence on those people. But a futile one.
10652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Indonesia Raya
Offline
Posted 11/10/09

ShroomInferno wrote:

From what I can tell she gave people hope, but other than that she didn't do anything admirable, in my opinion. Doctors without borders are a lot more admirable. They go to war-stricken countries, and offer their assistance even though they have to provide all of this help in really poor conditions as they've got barely any material to do proper surgeries, for proper medication for the wounded, and sick. They don't just talk, they actually DO something. Maria Theresa just quickly caressed the sick, and wounded people's face, and moved on. But in terms of hope, yes, she surely did have an influence on those people. But a futile one.


She cured people with her influence. She had power to move doctors, nurses and charity institution to help poor people. People under her gave people health, while she gave people hope. In other words, she cured people with 2 ways, physically and physiologically.

She won the Nobel Peace Prize, so did Barrack Obama, for doing nothing.
Posted 11/10/09

Ryutai-Desk wrote:

She cured people with her influence. She had power to move doctors, nurses and charity institution to help poor people. People under her gave people health, while she gave people hope. In other words, she cured people with 2 ways, physically and physiologically.

She won the Nobel Peace Prize, so did Barrack Obama, for doing nothing.


Yet, that very same person told, in a subtle manner, to the poor whenever they started to fight for their rights, to shut the fuck up and forgive.
10652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Indonesia Raya
Offline
Posted 11/10/09

ShroomInferno wrote:


Ryutai-Desk wrote:

She cured people with her influence. She had power to move doctors, nurses and charity institution to help poor people. People under her gave people health, while she gave people hope. In other words, she cured people with 2 ways, physically and physiologically.

She won the Nobel Peace Prize, so did Barrack Obama, for doing nothing.


Yet, that very same person told, in a subtle manner, to the poor whenever they started to fight for their rights, to shut the fuck up and forgive.


If you look on the street, people at the poorest area are not fighting for their rights but to live. people like Mother Theresa and Mahatma Gandhi simply befriended with them and helped them without any hesitation or hideous motive. People like Mother Theresa simply wanted to help them for their happiness. While government seems not really wanted to help poor people if you look at third world countries, they're only willing to help if people pay taxes. Politician simply wanted to help them for their votes.

I was meant to Obama for did nothing not to Mother Theresa.
Posted 11/10/09

Ryutai-Desk wrote:
If you look on the street, people at the poorest area are not fighting for their rights but to live. people like Mother Theresa and Mahatma Gandhi simply befriended with them and helped them without any hesitation or hideous motive. People like Mother Theresa simply wanted to help them for their happiness. While government seems not really wanted to help poor people if you look at third world countries, they're only willing to help if people pay taxes. Politician simply wanted to help them for their votes.

I was meant to Obama for did nothing not to Mother Theresa.

There's poor, and then there's poor. If you've watched the videos LadyVertz posted, then you'd know to what I was referring.
Gandhi stood up for the people. He organised peaceful demonstrations, fought for women rights, and tried to ease poverty in his country, struggled for independence of India, etc.
While being a REAL candidate for the Nobel Peace Prize, he never received one. They assassinated him before such a thing could ever occur.

Now, that Catholic woman, all she did was bonding with rich politicians, promote her religious faith, tell people to not use anti-conception, or abortion, etc. She gave false hope. All she did was pretending to give spiritual assistance, yet she never told the poor that if there's a will then there's a way, no, she just told them to forgive and accept their fate.
One could say that she was the Vatican's devilish angel.

Is that so? But all she did was raise false hope, just like Obama. So if we'd go after what you said, neither of the two deserved that prize.
10652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Indonesia Raya
Offline
Posted 11/10/09

ShroomInferno wrote:

Now, that Catholic woman, all she did was bonding with rich politicians, promote her religious faith, tell people to not use anti-conception, or abortion, etc. She gave false hope. All she did was pretending to give spiritual assistance, yet she never told the poor that if there's a will then there's a way, no, she just told them to forgive and accept their fate.
One could say that she was the Vatican's devilish angel.

Is that so? But all she did was raise false hope, just like Obama. So if we'd go after what you said, neither of the two deserved that prize.


She did all that for poor people that starved and was dying, she did saved lot of people. Many were being able to continue living because of her. You said, she gave false hope. What's the definition of 'hope' in this matter to starved people? They wanted to live and able to amke their own living by not relying to others, that's their hope. Theresa gave them their hope.

She had connections to rich people and politicians to made her effort easier. She was smart for using her figure and image to influenced rich politicians working together with her, in order to help poor people through her. She did not asked people to repay back and she lived with them and 'touched' them directly.

She didn't want fame, she did it for the sake of people. And people were being grateful for what she has done.




Posted 11/10/09 , edited 11/10/09

Ryutai-Desk wrote:
She didn't want fame, she did it for the sake of people. And people were being grateful for what she has done.

Doctors without borders did more than she did, and that without the help of corrupt politicians. Aaaanyway, okay, okay..I got it, you're a fan of hers. I disagree with you, but am too lazy to elaborate any further. Maybe sometime later.
10652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Indonesia Raya
Offline
Posted 11/10/09

ShroomInferno wrote:


Ryutai-Desk wrote:
She didn't want fame, she did it for the sake of people. And people were being grateful for what she has done.


Doctors without borders did more than she did, and that without the help of corrupt politicians. Aaaanyway, okay, okay..I got it, you're a fan of hers. I disagree with you, but am too lazy to elaborate any further. Maybe sometime later.


Yes, if you compared her with doctors without borders, people might look it seems her efforts are 'less' than them. However, their objectives are same, to helping people. It just their ways are different. What I disagree is with someone who's saying Theresa as Vatican's devilish angel while she made poor people able to survived during poverty.

Anyone would admire her for her efforts, people who seen her acts as devil as far as I know are corrupt politicians.
Posted 11/10/09
I personally would say that as an individual, Maria Theresa got the heart of a saint. However as a religious figure, Mother Theresa had more impact on people who are religious. And there are those who would use her to extend their influences by either joining or alienating her cause.

Was Mother Maria Theresa a political leader like Gandhi or Obama, who shaped the world's politics with their works? No. Was she a religious figure, who led the Missionaries of Charity, her own sisterhood in 1950 outside of the Catholic convent to help the poor, sick, and dying? Yes.

Influence, cause, even prestige, since when did the Nobel Peace Prize simply became an award like the Academy Award? This is precisely why that people who can't be objective when they're bias due to worldly perception, are not characters with good judgment.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.