First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Are "The Big 3" Over-Rated?
79512 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / dubai
Offline
Posted 3/4/10
hey,... one piece si NOT over-rated...ITS REALLY GREAT, AWESOME, EXCELLENT, WONDERFUL, NICE, SUPER DUPER NICEEE....! Naruto shippuuden/Naruto is great too~ but , i dont know...they're popular..so, ehhe
88479 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 3/4/10 , edited 3/4/10
Really, there should be more of a clarification of overrated throughout the whole anime community.

There are 2 main types:

1) Too many people watching, or "over viewed."
2) People rating the series much higher than they should.

To the majority of anime watchers, Naruto and Bleach are definitely over viewd, but they aren't really rated that highly, with the exception of people who haven't seen other series. They are both decent animes compared to others, but there is nothing that constitutes how many viewers they get. Their online rating reflects this.

One piece, is rated much higher than Naruto and Bleach in general on the internet, but thats simply because it has a better plot and better characters. In Japan, it could be classified as "over viewed", simply because it proven to have the highest amount of viewers for a teenage anime (ie not pokemon), and the same goes for Dragonball/Dragonball Kai. However, in the rest of the world, One piece is neither over viewed, or overrated.

So, the big 3 can all be classified as over viewed, but not overrated.

Overrated is usually a matter of personal preference, while over viewed is not.

Animes I'd say are overrated would include Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, Haruhi, alot of anime movies like Spirited away. More recent examples would include Kimi ni Todoke and Higashi no Eden.

By no means does overrated mean that those animes are bad, but they just do not deserve the ratings they get on sites like MAL.
325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 3/4/10

llamaben wrote:


Overrated is usually a matter of personal preference, while over viewed is not.

By no means does overrated mean that those animes are bad, but they just do not deserve the ratings they get on sites like MAL.


Aren't you contradicting yourself? Doesn't it mean that most people on that site are not too fond of endless series which the main goal is to squeeze money out of it? Besides what were you expecting? A perfect 10?

But hey who can blame'em? If I was selling cars and that I'm making huge bucks out of it, why would I suddenly stop ? There's probably some people who don't like my models but the majority of society is craving my wheels.

As for the anime that you've listed as "overrated", some of them are shown on TV in countries other than Japan (FMA , CB) so they can be also considered as "over viewed", thus making your statement pointless.
88479 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 3/4/10

kyle106 wrote:


llamaben wrote:


Overrated is usually a matter of personal preference, while over viewed is not.

By no means does overrated mean that those animes are bad, but they just do not deserve the ratings they get on sites like MAL.


Aren't you contradicting yourself? Doesn't it mean that most people on that site are not too fond of endless series which the main goal is to squeeze money out of it? Besides what were you expecting? A perfect 10?

But hey who can blame'em? If I was selling cars and that I'm making huge bucks out of it, why would I suddenly stop ? There's probably some people who don't like my models but the majority of society is craving my wheels.

As for the anime that you've listed as "overrated", some of them are shown on TV in countries other than Japan (FMA , CB) so they can be also considered as "over viewed", thus making your statement pointless.


The statements you bolded in no way contradict each other. That statement was still IMO.

Also, personal preferences depend greatly on the quality of the anime, and length only has a minor impact. Their ratings, in comparison to others, are not so good.

As to your third statement, they can also be considered "over viewed," but this topic is not about them. A series can be both over viewed and overrated.
325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 3/4/10 , edited 3/4/10

llamaben wrote:


kyle106 wrote:


llamaben wrote:


Overrated is usually a matter of personal preference, while over viewed is not.

By no means does overrated mean that those animes are bad, but they just do not deserve the ratings they get on sites like MAL.


Aren't you contradicting yourself? Doesn't it mean that most people on that site are not too fond of endless series which the main goal is to squeeze money out of it? Besides what were you expecting? A perfect 10?

But hey who can blame'em? If I was selling cars and that I'm making huge bucks out of it, why would I suddenly stop ? There's probably some people who don't like my models but the majority of society is craving my wheels.

As for the anime that you've listed as "overrated", some of them are shown on TV in countries other than Japan (FMA , CB) so they can be also considered as "over viewed", thus making your statement pointless.


The statements you bolded in no way contradict each other. That statement was still IMO.

Also, personal preferences depend greatly on the quality of the anime, and length only has a minor impact. Their ratings, in comparison to others, are not so good.

As to your third statement, they can also be considered "over viewed," but this topic is not about them. A series can be both over viewed and overrated.


I was talking about the fact that you say that an overrated anime is a matter of opinion and that they just don't deserve the ratings on the other websites. Isn't that kind of selfish? It's like you're trying to say that your opinion is the best and that you won't listen to what the other people say.

And btw, length affects quite a bit the quality of an anime. For example, long shonens tend to have ups and downs in pratically ever department, especially animation wise. You can also feel that a show is stretched and that it could have as well ended sooner. That's some of the factors that make most of the people hate them and not only the fact that it has a huge length.
88479 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 3/5/10

kyle106 wrote:


llamaben wrote:


kyle106 wrote:


llamaben wrote:


Overrated is usually a matter of personal preference, while over viewed is not.

By no means does overrated mean that those animes are bad, but they just do not deserve the ratings they get on sites like MAL.


Aren't you contradicting yourself? Doesn't it mean that most people on that site are not too fond of endless series which the main goal is to squeeze money out of it? Besides what were you expecting? A perfect 10?

But hey who can blame'em? If I was selling cars and that I'm making huge bucks out of it, why would I suddenly stop ? There's probably some people who don't like my models but the majority of society is craving my wheels.

As for the anime that you've listed as "overrated", some of them are shown on TV in countries other than Japan (FMA , CB) so they can be also considered as "over viewed", thus making your statement pointless.


The statements you bolded in no way contradict each other. That statement was still IMO.

Also, personal preferences depend greatly on the quality of the anime, and length only has a minor impact. Their ratings, in comparison to others, are not so good.

As to your third statement, they can also be considered "over viewed," but this topic is not about them. A series can be both over viewed and overrated.


I was talking about the fact that you say that an overrated anime is a matter of opinion and that they just don't deserve the ratings on the other websites. Isn't that kind of selfish? It's like you're trying to say that your opinion is the best and that you won't listen to what the other people say.

And btw, length affects quite a bit the quality of an anime. For example, long shonens tend to have ups and downs in pratically ever department, especially animation wise. You can also feel that a show is stretched and that it could have as well ended sooner. That's some of the factors that make most of the people hate them and not only the fact that it has a huge length.


As I said in my previous post, its my opinion that they don't deserve the rating. Hence to me, they are overrated.

I meant that length doesn't affect how people rate the anime much (not the quality of the anime, it was worded badly). Sure, the animation can, but the characters, plot, and enjoyment usually do not drop. Yes, some people hate long anime, and thus rate them lower. But the converse is also true, others love longer animes, and rate them higher.
49827 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
68 / F / Portland Maine
Offline
Posted 3/5/10 , edited 3/5/10
I used to hate the idea of Naruto, but when I watched it, it was actually quite fun. Of course it is over rated- but it's popular and a money maker and hence the over exposure. I have other shows I would rather watch though.

I remember getting into Bleach a few years ago because of the awesome fight scenes- I'll probably pick it up again sometime but there are only so many hours in the day

One Peace kind of bored me, I didn't find the jokes funny or anything interesting about the characters. I think THAT is over rated by people who think they have great taste.
213 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / 日本の
Offline
Posted 3/5/10
I don't know if Bleach or One Piece is over-rated because I don't watch them.
Posted 3/6/10
Theres a reason why those are at the top. They have really good plot,
The characters are really unique compared to some characters in less popular anime (ahum example: Amu) <----overused personality
I watch One Piece [and I watched a bit of bleach] but I still watch the most unknown anime and they're awesome.
btw....ONE PIECE is NOT overrated >3> xD
Posted 3/6/10

*clap* *clap* NICE xD

Posted 3/6/10
The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya

Shugo Chara

Fooly Cooly
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.