First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Causes of Poverty
564 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / F / uae - dubai
Offline
Posted 5/26/07
shouldn't blame poor people that they are lazy , have they found a proper job and said no , have somebody aid them with financial aid and guided , helped them i would say no , there leaders are to be asked first then you can accuse them , but poverty is not just money but in soul ans society , have you ever helped a man with a penny and he was needing it ? if society doesn't show that helping others is essential then i would they are really poor even if they are the richest ....
5261 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Philippines
Offline
Posted 5/26/07
For me . . .

Because of . . . . . . .

Lack of knowledge
Lack of financial needs
Lack of Common Sense
Lack of initiative
228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Cambridge UK
Offline
Posted 5/26/07
lol yay DoNotDisturb understands =P

bellus-vae to explain why outsourcing doesn't contribute to poverty: is because 1. it provides work for the kinda developing nations that actually have a problem with poverty 2. the only countries wealthy enough to implement outsourcing on a large scale i.e US UK Europe etc dont have any REAL problem with poverty in comparison. So your american job gets out sourced to another country ? tough break indeed but you're still gonna get redundancy pay and the well fair state will cough up the doe till u have another job. Lets face it to be living it real poverty (i.e no food, no shelter) in a first world country you have to be a victim of extreme miss fortune, a victim of some criminal organisation or living illegally.
1888 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / OvEr ThErE nExT t...
Offline
Posted 5/26/07
humans
Posted 5/26/07

jamehze wrote:

Oh we haven't fixed slavery. We still got them all around the world. White people didn't create slavery either. The Chinese, Africans and Arabs all monopolized on that.



thank you for helping out.see everyone...it wasnt only white people.
13903 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / Houston, TX
Offline
Posted 5/26/07
Laissez-faire is probably the root of it, where the government could give a rat's ass about how business owners handled their business. Monopolies resulted in this, crushing smaller businesses and causing an abundance of people to lose their jobs and go bankrupt.

National economy obviously plays a big role when it comes to poverty.

"Rich people are the cause of poverty. If we are all equal no one will be poor. But in a country where many opportunities are avalible, it is pure laziness or bad choices in life thats leads to poverty. In countries where there are no opportunities, then it is often because of the horrible war-stricken goverment or the lack-there of."

^ Basically, communism vs capitalism?


In America there are A LOT of opportunities, assuming you are a legal citizen. Hell, even illegal aliens can live more comfortably here than in their homeland. You can't say the same for Africa and other 3rd world countries, therefore they can't help but be poor. However, in America, you have to know how to use the system, or else it will use you up and spit you out with the rest of those in poverty.
Posted 5/26/07
America
5927 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / World
Offline
Posted 5/26/07

flippizzle wrote:

Laissez-faire is probably the root of it, where the government could give a rat's ass about how business owners handled their business. Monopolies resulted in this, crushing smaller businesses and causing an abundance of people to lose their jobs and go bankrupt.

National economy obviously plays a big role when it comes to poverty.

"Rich people are the cause of poverty. If we are all equal no one will be poor. But in a country where many opportunities are avalible, it is pure laziness or bad choices in life thats leads to poverty. In countries where there are no opportunities, then it is often because of the horrible war-stricken goverment or the lack-there of."

^ Basically, communism vs capitalism?


In America there are A LOT of opportunities, assuming you are a legal citizen. Hell, even illegal aliens can live more comfortably here than in their homeland. You can't say the same for Africa and other 3rd world countries, therefore they can't help but be poor. However, in America, you have to know how to use the system, or else it will use you up and spit you out with the rest of those in poverty.


:D
I like your way of thinking!!!! Guess I wont have to post anymore....Nantene!!!
The U.S. is a great nation for those who know how to use it's system, for those who dont well they're pretty much screwed!!! PEOPLE learn the system!!!! it's loop holes and what not... Or just play the lottery like I do, and hope one day you'll get lucky....JOndan!!!
2925 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Bristol UK
Offline
Posted 5/26/07
the real reason is the development gap and the amount that people can industrialize. When many of the rich countries developed their wasnt te same rules and regulations. People exploited the land how they wanted and took what they wanted. For example UK taking spices from India and selling them. Today due to more human rights and peace treaties this can not happen as effectivly. Plus we exploited all the resorces in one area and are now on an un level playing feild. That is the real reason. It not not just America but europe when they were building their empires. Not philosophical crap or and excuse to bash America.

This issue is exacerbated by type of industry in they area. Many cultural values are to have as many kids as possible to help on the farm. Though families can support these children and more and more aid is needed or money. They borrow this money and the debt increases. The government needs to pay the debt but supply the nation. Though i think world debt was wiped away after the g8 summit.
3928 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Jersey
Offline
Posted 5/26/07
There's just a couple things I'd like to point out in your argument. You cannot compare Hong Kong to the US. Different laws apply to different sized countries It makes no sense to draw parallels between a city and a country.


DoNotDisturb wrote:
Not Really.....Honk Kong is like WAY Over Populated but it is one of the richest places.

Because the Gov . Just go with whatever people wants, it only takes 1 day to open a business in Honk Kong while in other places takes like 1-2 years. That is the difference. Also the Taxes isnt a lot, 15%. Then how do they get money? Secret... lol.

If it is Lack of Education, Some places you cant even get Educated, But some places no matter how much Education you have you cant get a good Income. For Example: Pizza, Pizza wasnt made in America, Before that, no one even like it. Later on Some dude took it to America, now Pizza is everywhere. Why?


Wrong on pizza here. It was first invented in Naples, Italy where it was extremely popular with the native poor. It was highly desirable in Italy and Naples is very famous for this. Pizza is everywhere because of globalization and the increase in corporations around the world. Also, we can attribute America to being a source for the increase because tomatoes are not native to Europe. They were introduced their from the Americas during the Columbian exchange so in essence it is because of geography that it became popular.


Work Effort? The HELL! this is the worst one, Other people in other country work like 10 hour a day, and they got paid on 1/4 of what America make in 5 Hour income.

You guys just have no Idea. American don't even realize the reality....I still cant believe some of you said Work Effort. My ass. Anyone can Survive in America.. You don't even need a college degree to support your family. Just MY ass. When i heard some of your posts


Now you're just being stereotypical. There are a lot of poor areas in the US. Anyway, I don't think a lot of people were referring to the situation in third world countries. In the case of industrialized countries, work effort is needed to survive. You can say the same thing about communism as well. You don't need a college degree to get a well paying job.


Oh Yeah: In Africa. It took 4 years just to Allow Business to Sell Coke And Soda. 4 years. LMAO while in Honk Kong it took 1 Month. Do you guys even realize it? It really is Opportunity+Government.


First off, comparing a continent to a city is a terrible argument.

Now we have to look at the historical aspect of Hong Kong and Africa. Africa was divided up by European powers using political borders without taking into account account the ethnic divisions present there. Thus when it was colonized, many opposing tribal groups were forced together causing tension. After decolonization, these countries were left on their own to sort out political problems. This goes back to my previous argument. With unstable governments, there is no way that an effective economy can develop properly. That's why it's taking so long.

Also, most of the interior of Africa was undiscovered until the last century. Even the source of the Nile was a great mystery. Thus full industrialization never occurred. Instead only small coastal ports were able to develop with trade. When decolonization occurred, Africa was left with almost nothing except a few cities. Not much help for the countries.

Hong Kong on the other hand was handed over to the British after the Opium Wars where it was used as a trading port. Hong Kong was able to gain the benefits of the Industrial Revolution because it started in Britain. Thus they had the perfect opportunity to grow and expand faster than most countries. The advent of the railroad and other forms of transportation was heavily exploited to propel the economy. Its geographic location as a port city connecting Europe to isolationist China was also very important for its development. It gained plenty of influence which was not offered to Africa.

Thus it always had a stable government that was able to provide for the people. With the handover to China, the government did not change at all because Britain had prepared it to be an independent entity that would be able to survive on its own.

Eh I'm just rambling now.

flippizzle, if laissez-faire was at the root of it all, then how come Hong Kong is one of the most economically prosperous areas in the world when it also is the most economically free? Also, laissez-faire is an ideal. It is not evident anywhere in the world.
1393 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Fucking Stuck in...
Offline
Posted 5/26/07
Causes of poverty most likely a giant Monopoly of a country called the U.S. OF A the US goes into countries steals their Natural resources and uses it for its own Inrichment The country is then left Raped and not able to take care of itself but its not only the U.S the ppl who are incharge of the poor country get payed for the U.S to be able to come in and they do nothing to try to Take away the U.S power over them now The ppl in control become rich n The ppl which help create the monopoly's stay poor not even able to buy the things they most likely make
2055 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Undisclosed
Offline
Posted 5/26/07

Mixer06er wrote:

Causes of poverty most likely a giant Monopoly of a country called the U.S. OF A the US goes into countries steals their Natural resources and uses it for its own Inrichment The country is then left Raped and not able to take care of itself but its not only the U.S the ppl who are incharge of the poor country get payed for the U.S to be able to come in and they do nothing to try to Take away the U.S power over them now The ppl in control become rich n The ppl which help create the monopoly's stay poor not even able to buy the things they most likely make


Judging from your ability to misspell 'enrichment', I think we can all take a hint on your level of education and the credibility of your statements.
1411 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 5/27/07
coorporate sleez bags that only care about exploiting others to make money, they don't pay their workers enough even if they can afford to
Scientist Moderator
digs 
52086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 5/27/07
I would say corrupt governments, lack of education, poor work ethics, and racism.
2055 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Undisclosed
Offline
Posted 5/27/07

Drkcloud wrote:

coorporate sleez bags that only care about exploiting others to make money, they don't pay their workers enough even if they can afford to


You're obviously a laborer yourself, or still in middle/high school.

What you have to understand is that "workers" like yourself (or what you will be), don't deserve "enough". As an economics major, I will tell you that in order to have you laborers working harder and longer, it's better to give meager pay instead of letting you guys get "enough". This way, you find yourself working more.

If you don't like it, just quit your job. There are always other laborers to take your place.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.