First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Satan is Really Set
1718 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
65 / M / Croatia
Offline
Posted 12/2/09
Little rant: "eudaemonia" means happiness or bliss. Daemon is not common word in ancient greek (in my experience you can not find it in any of homers works, for example.) it means deity, god or godess, then doom or death, third meaning is lower deity and fourth is the ghost.
And yeah, monotheistic god is very original. if there is any other deity it becomes "evil". Very nice .
Posted 12/2/09

blancer wrote:

Little rant: "eudaemonia" means happiness or bliss. Daemon is not common word in ancient greek (in my experience you can not find it in any of homers works, for example.) it means deity, god or godess, then doom or death, third meaning is lower deity and fourth is the ghost.
And yeah, monotheistic god is very original. if there is any other deity it becomes "evil". Very nice .


Monotheism is just too simple and easy. I prefer the old religions which have flavor and zero monotony. The Holy Bible carries on for quite a while talking about who gave birth to who and contains many lines contradicting the entire story and its supposed meaning rendering it nearly useless. Somewhere along the line, someone messed up when writing the Bible by making it an endless circle that you can't see the end of.
55941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
58 / F / Midwest, rural Am...
Offline
Posted 12/2/09

Dajjal_AD wrote:
Monotheism is just too simple and easy. I prefer the old religions which have flavor and zero monotony. The Holy Bible carries on for quite a while talking about who gave birth to who and contains many lines contradicting the entire story and its supposed meaning rendering it nearly useless. Somewhere along the line, someone messed up when writing the Bible by making it an endless circle that you can't see the end of.


Ah, come on, ol' buddy, ol' pal !
Generalizations like this muddy the already cloudy water of those with average to no knowledge of the Bible, & creates an unfair bias.

There is a reason & purpose to the genealogies. Thorough readings " of the whole" & in context, does lessen the contradictions when they are read with an understanding of the writing style, the language idioms & cultural influences of the scripture, as it's translated into modern languages.

Really ! Learning some of these factors has helped me a great deal. Evangelism is not my gift ( so, I'm not likely to preach ) , but I may be able to explain a verse or word for the curious-- quiz me !
1718 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
65 / M / Croatia
Offline
Posted 12/2/09

farmbird wrote:


Dajjal_AD wrote:
Monotheism is just too simple and easy. I prefer the old religions which have flavor and zero monotony. The Holy Bible carries on for quite a while talking about who gave birth to who and contains many lines contradicting the entire story and its supposed meaning rendering it nearly useless. Somewhere along the line, someone messed up when writing the Bible by making it an endless circle that you can't see the end of.


Ah, come on, ol' buddy, ol' pal !
Generalizations like this muddy the already cloudy water of those with average to no knowledge of the Bible, & creates an unfair bias.

There is a reason & purpose to the genealogies. Thorough readings " of the whole" & in context, does lessen the contradictions when they are read with an understanding of the writing style, the language idioms & cultural influences of the scripture, as it's translated into modern languages.

Really ! Learning some of these factors has helped me a great deal. Evangelism is not my gift ( so, I'm not likely to preach ) , but I may be able to explain a verse or word for the curious-- quiz me !


True. There is a reason for all the genealogies: so every persons origin could be traced. It was important in old testament, so that it is known that everybody is descendant of people who pledged to god (Hebrew) - for them now, it is part of "never forget who you are or where we (family) came from. In Middle east, family and descendants were important and the most common "heresy" in Judaism was praying to your dead ancestors. Arabs still have hundred mile long names: Muhamed, son of... son of... son of... etc.
Later, in new testament it was used as sort of justification: at the time, christians were considered just a jewish sect. And also because of history: new testament was written even as few hundred years after Christ died, so you can actually find records about people mentioned (thanks to Romans, mostly and their record keeping and tax collecting). Btw - christians even had first meetings in Temple, but then they expelled them from hebrew tribe and Jerusalem (thus giving themselves some bad karma. First you kill god, then you expel his followers... ok, this is a joke.)
Posted 12/2/09


I mean no offense, I just spoke of what I noticed. And yes, I also realize that the bible was written in a way that people don't understand that well today since it is so old. My brother used to have a teen study bible years back when he was LDS and even got baptized. He left the Mormon Church to pursue his own path and is a happily married father with one beautiful daughter. Whatever we follow, the best thing to hope for is a fruitful and meaningful life.
Posted 12/8/09
Reclaiming my topic......... done.
Posted 1/3/10
User has nuked, but anyone is welcomed to recreate.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.