First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Are kids smarter than their parents?
12055 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
115 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 12/17/09

LemonyPanda wrote:


jaotsu wrote:

Are today's kids smarter than their parents?


THIS right here is the example of true defiance, foolishness, and arrogance.


And the example is WONDERFULLY smart as I declare modestly!

19698 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 12/17/09
depends :3
my mother is a total genius from what i heard and seen about her educational history, and the only person in the family who can compete her intelligence is my big brother.

whereas my friend's mother was an undergraduate. heck, she only passed her primary school and started a business immediately because of the lack of money.
but her son, aka my friend, was a pure number one student in the class (and school) and our school's standard is rather high. so logically speaking shouldn't he be smarter than his parent?
Posted 12/17/09
Lol! I depend on my Brother for help with homework, he's the smart one....my parents are just like "what now?"
12055 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
115 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 12/17/09

LilLaoWow wrote:
As I said, Education isn't something you only gain from school. I know this is your opinion when you say that education doesn't make one smarter, but you wouldn't stick a caveman in a hospital and expect him to perform surgery. At the same time, I wouldn't be able to stick an accountant in a surgeons shoes and expect him to pull off an operation. Being in school, you learn the anatomy of the human body as well as being able to perform an operation in practice over time to near perfection. It's something you can't do in the comfort of your own home legally.

I wouldn't say being in school means you're smarter per se, but you're not going to gain knowledge just sitting there. being in an institute just makes it more convenient. I realize you don't need a college education to make money or do something with your life. I'm sure it didn't take a BA for someone to invent the wheel either. That was thousands of years ago so it wouldn't have even been possible. Just because the few exceptions are able to pull their wits together and invent something innovative, doesn't deem education obsolete.

Back when our parents(by some miracle) asked this question of their elders, people would speculate the same thing. They'd look at their drugged-up hippie friends and think "wow, you won't get anywhere in life" yet these are the parents who set the bar for us to surpass.

Kids will be kids. There will be an exception and some kid may end up inventing a new form of fuel or end up being a famous singer, but I still wouldn't go and assume kids are smarter than their parents or kids can't hold a candle to their elders. mid 20's is still pretty young, so when you go and think we're wasting our time not being able to accomplish anything, some of us are still learning. We've just haven't gotten our break yet.

There will always be those F'ups in life that don't get anywhere. There are people that cheat their way in college and that's most likely why they're winging it by in life. Though at the same time, there are people who have dropped out of High School that end up on the streets. I wouldn't go and say everyone that doesn't finish High School or obtain a degree is a failure at life because of a few bums.

Though generally speaking, as you were, those with an education perform better than those without one.


I understand what you are saying in both concept and thought, but then what about people who are unable to get a "structured" education? Let's say for example, from another country or from a lower socio-economic class? Are they any "dumber" because the system prevents them from getting an education? There are places in this world which will repress people to learn how to read or write under penalty of death or imprisonment. Are these people "dumber" by your definition?






Posted 12/17/09

jaotsu wrote:


I understand what you are saying in both concept and thought, but then what about people who are unable to get a "structured" education? Let's say for example, from another country or from a lower socio-economic class? Are they any "dumber" because the system prevents them from getting an education? There are places in this world which will repress people to learn how to read or write under penalty of death or imprisonment. Are these people "dumber" by your definition




By simply lacking education doesn't make you dumb. The correct term would be Ignorant, which is what I assume you meant. Not wanting to educate one self does not equal to being held back from learning. I consider those lazy and unwilling to be dumb and consider those,struck on unlucky terms, to be simply ignorant.

Being smart doesn't mean being the cream of the crop. It's the willingness to put in effort and doing the best to your ability. If someone is willing to try their hardest to learn and their effort is shown, I consider them smart. Those with higher academics are in fact smart because they put in the effort and study.


So when you ask if kids are smarter than their parents now, you'd have to realize that there are people back then that work their hardest as with children today. Along with the screw-ups that make it seem like today's children aren't getting anywhere, there were those in our parents age as well. So let's not assume those of the future are any less than our parents.

As children of this age rely on technology, I wouldn't consider them more lazy, dumb, ignorant. Using internet slang and shortcuts doesn't mean that's how they write up their papers in Class. I've tutored kids that do it just because it's easier yet their spelling and grammar usage is acceptable for their grade. Have you tried typing on a normal cellphones number pad?

When you compare our parents being the ones to count with their hands/toes or using their heads, you've got to admit that's impressive. Though at the same time, Kids now have the ability to use a calculator or google. It's a smart move on their part. Anyone can sit there and write 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1X10=80 or he can bring out his calculator and just simple type 8X10.

if I brought my mom to work the cash register, she would be clueless as that kid unable to count change. This doesn't make her dumber either. With enough education and work, she can easily get the hang of it. At the same time, if I left her alone to fiddle with the Cash Register, it'd be broken numerous times before she figures it out Or I can simply give her a guideline and a quick lesson and have her running it within a few hours.
As I said, this is where schools come into play as being more convenient.

Your example was a bit extreme as if anyone working a register should be able to add/subtract to 10. I'm not sure about you, but the local elementary schools bake sale is ran by 12 year old kids that count their change with a bucket and their heads.

In summary, i'm just saying there's no definite answer to who is smarter. Being smarter is too broad an adjective.
12055 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
115 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 12/17/09

LilLaoWow wrote:

By simply lacking education doesn't make you dumb. The correct term would be Ignorant, which is what I assume you meant. Not wanting to educate one self does not equal to being held back from learning. I consider those lazy and unwilling to be dumb and consider those,struck on unlucky terms, to be simply ignorant.

Being smart doesn't mean being the cream of the crop. It's the willingness to put in effort and doing the best to your ability. If someone is willing to try their hardest to learn and their effort is shown, I consider them smart. Those with higher academics are in fact smart because they put in the effort and study.

So when you ask if kids are smarter than their parents now, you'd have to realize that there are people back then that work their hardest as with children today. Along with the screw-ups that make it seem like today's children aren't getting anywhere, there were those in our parents age as well. So let's not assume those of the future are any less than our parents.

As children of this age rely on technology, I wouldn't consider them more lazy, dumb, ignorant. Using internet slang and shortcuts doesn't mean that's how they write up their papers in Class. I've tutored kids that do it just because it's easier yet their spelling and grammar usage is acceptable for their grade. Have you tried typing on a normal cellphones number pad?

When you compare our parents being the ones to count with their hands/toes or using their heads, you've got to admit that's impressive. Though at the same time, Kids now have the ability to use a calculator or google. It's a smart move on their part. Anyone can sit there and write 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1X10=80 or he can bring out his calculator and just simple type 8X10.

if I brought my mom to work the cash register, she would be clueless as that kid unable to count change. This doesn't make her dumber either. With enough education and work, she can easily get the hang of it. At the same time, if I left her alone to fiddle with the Cash Register, it'd be broken numerous times before she figures it out Or I can simply give her a guideline and a quick lesson and have her running it within a few hours.
As I said, this is where schools come into play as being more convenient.

Your example was a bit extreme as if anyone working a register should be able to add/subtract to 10. I'm not sure about you, but the local elementary schools bake sale is ran by 12 year old kids that count their change with a bucket and their heads.

In summary, i'm just saying there's no definite answer to who is smarter. Being smarter is too broad an adjective.


"Being smarter" is used to compare two groups. One group being the "kids", the other group being their parents. Let me put it this way, If we gave IQ test (yes they are subjective) who would score higher, given that the tests are not based on age and experience. Which group would score higher?





1801 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / OhioIs4Luvers
Offline
Posted 12/17/09
I have to say yes. Why? Because kids get away with a lot of stuff. Parents only pretend to be smarter by saying "I knew." faking like they can sense everything we do. It's all a mind game and that's how they get you, which I guess makes them smarter. Huh, I guess I'm changing my answer, parents are definetly smarter. Mind games are a trip!
12055 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
115 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 12/17/09
Is it true that if you get a divorce in the Ozarks, you are still legally brother and sister?
Posted 12/17/09

jaotsu wrote:



"Being smarter" is used to compare two groups. One group being the "kids", the other group being their parents. Let me put it this way, If we gave IQ test (yes they are subjective) who would score higher, given that the tests are not based on age and experience. Which group would score higher?







If we were to compare our IQ scores to our parents, I don't see what that would prove. IQ scores stabilize as young as 11 and hardly change over the years if slightly. Someone may have a high IQ score and do nothing about it for himself. Is he smart? In my opinion, no. He can have an IQ score of 170, but if he doesn't educate himself, he'll be forever ignorant. Knowledge is the key in comparing if someone is smarter.

I don't get what you're trying to ask. You're telling us to disregard age and experience so does that mean you want us to compare our IQ scores to our parents if they were our age? We've already acknowledged that your IQ score hardly changes so this wouldn't make sense.

Once again, this isn't something that's definite. We're all speaking generally I hope so i'll say that IQ scores vary with individuals, as you said, and not by the year they're born. There are people born yesterday with a potential for a high IQ and there were people born 50 decades ago with that equal IQ.

So as I said, Generally speaking, there is no answer for this. If you were to ask us as individuals if we were "smarter" and had a higher IQ than our parents, I'm sure that would get somewhere.
Posted 12/17/09
Maybe, but smart or not they should respect them either way.
21223 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/17/09
I don't think so. Even if kids know more about technology and new stuff, the parents will always have more experience in life, no matter what. It's just a fact. Kids can say they don't understand their exact situation, but it's the other way around. I just think they've been down that road before.

But then again, I'm totally biased because I think kids are horrible.
8101 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F
Offline
Posted 12/17/09
sily everyone here say the same , for this to open ....

393 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F
Offline
Posted 12/17/09

pikangie wrote:

It can vary between subjects as well...

In most cases, parents will have more knowledge of financial and business subjects, while kids could very well surpass their parents in the area of technology and new trends. It could be with anything, depending on the individual's own experiences.

Honestly, I think middle and high school students are probably better at math than most average parents.
Intermediate and advanced math are easy to forget if you don't use it often, which many adults don't, but subjects like grammar last with almost every situation, and tend to get better as you grow and learn.

Different interests influence different areas of knowledge. IQ tests are mostly testing logic and grammar skills, but there are many different areas of knowledge that also cannot be tested with IQ tests.



Well yeah, your right going to college doesn't make one smarter. I think it depends on the individual though. My mom is actually a lot better than me when it comes to math.
12055 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
115 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 12/21/09

LilLaoWow wrote:

If we were to compare our IQ scores to our parents, I don't see what that would prove. IQ scores stabilize as young as 11 and hardly change over the years if slightly. Someone may have a high IQ score and do nothing about it for himself. Is he smart? In my opinion, no. He can have an IQ score of 170, but if he doesn't educate himself, he'll be forever ignorant. Knowledge is the key in comparing if someone is smarter.

I don't get what you're trying to ask. You're telling us to disregard age and experience so does that mean you want us to compare our IQ scores to our parents if they were our age? We've already acknowledged that your IQ score hardly changes so this wouldn't make sense.

Once again, this isn't something that's definite. We're all speaking generally I hope so i'll say that IQ scores vary with individuals, as you said, and not by the year they're born. There are people born yesterday with a potential for a high IQ and there were people born 50 decades ago with that equal IQ.

So as I said, Generally speaking, there is no answer for this. If you were to ask us as individuals if we were "smarter" and had a higher IQ than our parents, I'm sure that would get somewhere.


I understand where you are coming from but I disagree. There is an answer for this. Knowledge is nothing. It is worthless unless the person can use it. Just like an education. Having an education is worthless. It is what you DO with that knowledge and education that counts. These are smart people.

Generally people with higher IQ scores, regardless of knowledge and education have done better than people with lower IQ's with a great education.

I think younger kids today, especially college students have great education and acquired knowledge. The majority are not smart and will not know what to do with it. Only a few that are truly smart will be successful with the knowledge and education they have obtained. In the past I feel that the majority of the people who got an education and knowledge were smarter because most were successful. Economic times had nothing to do with it since I am comparing people from the Great depression to the early 60's and I feel they were much "smarter" than the youth of today.
79512 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / dubai
Offline
Posted 12/21/09
lolx..erm, sometimes....but...in life advice etc....^^ parents are still smarter..since they've been alive longer than us kids~!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.