Countryist
Posted 12/17/09 , edited 10/29/11
Countryist - Hating people from a certain country or countries.

I don't believe it is an acceptable word (you can't find it in the dictionary), it's what people use when they can't find the right word like 'racist' if you hate a race. Well, it is happening and I just seem to find it even more pathetic than racism. Like, why a country must be brought up for someone's bad character or behaviour?

I live in Singapore. When I was still in high school, there were many Chinese from China studying in my school. When they did something wrong or just happened to be slower at learning the English language, people just went, 'As expected from China' or something like 'So what if their Chinese are awesome? China's English sucks'. The irony of it is that in the end the students who got straight As for English are those from China, not Singapore. Some people still don't give them a break though, they went 'You China guys studied like some dogs, that's why you beat us to it.' Seriously, what the fuck is that all about?

If you call 'westerners looking down on the Chinese' is pathetic, then the Chinese looking down on the Chinese themselves is even more pathetic, especially for a country like Singapore where its ancestors were actually from China. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Chinese myself so I'm not trying to flame at the Chinese race or what so ever. I'm not so sure about the older generation, but from what I've seen and heard, the current generation is really countryist.

I guess I'll have to stop ranting or this might look bad. So here are my questions:

Do you think countryist can be prevented?
Have you encountered it before? If yes, share your opinions.

FZTime 
26337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / We've been here s...
Offline
Posted 12/17/09 , edited 12/17/09
Even after this extent of globalisation, racism still exists, though it might be sigificantly less than before, people will still stereotype and have prejudices against other races. Same goes for err....'country-ism (prejudice against people from other countries)'. I doubt it will actually fully disappear from people's minds. It might in the future, but most probably not ^_^

Prejudice is not really hate, and I do feel irritated that so many chinese nationals are moving around the world and giving the natives of the countries more competition for jobs. >.<

Of course I've encountered it before XD It's everywhere.
I'm actually pretty open about people and their backgrounds, it's just that alot of common behaviour especially the more negative ones don't give a good impression on people's races and countries they come from.
Scientist Moderator
digs 
48142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 12/17/09 , edited 12/17/09
From what I have encountered, there are many people who hate Americans, believe stereotypes, and disrespect my country and demonize us for various reasons. What I dislike is that it seems ok and acceptable to bash or hate on Americans or to push negative stereotypes as true. It's offensive to me but it only shows the ignorance of others. To hate someone simply because of their nationalism is wrong and ignorant. It's one thing to dislike a countries policies and disagree with them, it's another thing to hate the people and form discriminatory opinions and practices towards a national people group. To stop "countryists" I think we need to break down the barriers of pride and arrogance, because I believe pride and arrogance are one of the main factors in discrimination.
Posted 12/17/09 , edited 12/17/09

FZTime wrote:

Even after this extent of globalisation, racism still exists, though it might be sigificantly less than before, people will still stereotype and have prejudices against other races. Same goes for err....'country-ism (prejudice against people from other countries)'. I doubt it will actually fully disappear from people's minds. It might in the future, but most probably not ^_^

Prejudice is not really hate, and I do feel irritated that so many chinese nationals are moving around the world and giving the natives of the countries more competition for jobs. >.<


Of course I've encountered it before XD It's everywhere.
I'm actually pretty open about people and their backgrounds, it's just that alot of common behaviour especially the more negative ones don't give a good impression on people's races and countries they come from.

Blame this competitive world we are living in. If you're given a full scholarship and monthly pocket money, I'm sure you'll move/migrate to that country and work for them too.



digs wrote:

From what I have encountered, there are many people who hate Americans, believe stereotypes, and disrespect my country and demonize us for various reasons. What I dislike is that it seems ok and acceptable to bash or hate on Americans or to push negative stereotypes as true. It's offensive to me but it only shows the ignorance of others. To hate someone simply because of their nationalism is wrong and ignorant. It's one thing to dislike a countries policies and disagree with them, it's another thing to hate the people and form discriminatory opinions and practices towards a national people group. To stop "countryists" I think we need to break down the barriers of pride and arrogance, because I believe pride and arrogance are one of the main factors in discrimination.

Hey, that's a good point you're got here. With the high standard of living and good quality of life, people tend to look down on those from the less developed/developing countries. But I don't think it can be prevented, since both pride and arrogance are a form of humanity.
FZTime 
26337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / We've been here s...
Offline
Posted 12/18/09

stareye_pink wrote:


FZTime wrote:

Even after this extent of globalisation, racism still exists, though it might be sigificantly less than before, people will still stereotype and have prejudices against other races. Same goes for err....'country-ism (prejudice against people from other countries)'. I doubt it will actually fully disappear from people's minds. It might in the future, but most probably not ^_^

Prejudice is not really hate, and I do feel irritated that so many chinese nationals are moving around the world and giving the natives of the countries more competition for jobs. >.<


Of course I've encountered it before XD It's everywhere.
I'm actually pretty open about people and their backgrounds, it's just that alot of common behaviour especially the more negative ones don't give a good impression on people's races and countries they come from.

Blame this competitive world we are living in. If you're given a full scholarship and monthly pocket money, I'm sure you'll move/migrate to that country and work for them too.



digs wrote:

From what I have encountered, there are many people who hate Americans, believe stereotypes, and disrespect my country and demonize us for various reasons. What I dislike is that it seems ok and acceptable to bash or hate on Americans or to push negative stereotypes as true. It's offensive to me but it only shows the ignorance of others. To hate someone simply because of their nationalism is wrong and ignorant. It's one thing to dislike a countries policies and disagree with them, it's another thing to hate the people and form discriminatory opinions and practices towards a national people group. To stop "countryists" I think we need to break down the barriers of pride and arrogance, because I believe pride and arrogance are one of the main factors in discrimination.

Hey, that's a good point you're got here. With the high standard of living and good quality of life, people tend to look down on those from the less developed/developing countries. But I don't think it can be prevented, since both pride and arrogance are a form of humanity.


I blame globalisation! XD it's what makes this world so competitive. Anyway yeah, as digs and you said, it can't be prevented since pride and arrogance are part of human nature. As long as there is still respect between the races and countries and racism and 'country-ism' don't go overboard, i'm pretty fine with them. Currently it's nothing outright, just subtle dislikes for the other races and countries so it's fine. This is referring to the general population though, there are still some people around with strong racism and 'country-ism' views.
838 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 12/18/09
I think countryism can be prevented if everyone gets a grip on reality and realizes that everybody is different and where you live bears no significance or your intelligence, or your talents, or your personality traits.

Personally, I see it all the time. I'm from Canada, and I've heard SO many people so "Ugh, those damn Americans. They're all so rude." or whatever. It's kind of dumb. And at school, the girls used to FLOCK to the Asian exchange students and just fawn over them because they were "hot" without even trying to get to know them as people.
Posted 12/18/09 , edited 12/18/09

stareye_pink wrote:


FZTime wrote:

Even after this extent of globalisation, racism still exists, though it might be sigificantly less than before, people will still stereotype and have prejudices against other races. Same goes for err....'country-ism (prejudice against people from other countries)'. I doubt it will actually fully disappear from people's minds. It might in the future, but most probably not ^_^

Prejudice is not really hate, and I do feel irritated that so many chinese nationals are moving around the world and giving the natives of the countries more competition for jobs. >.<


Of course I've encountered it before XD It's everywhere.
I'm actually pretty open about people and their backgrounds, it's just that alot of common behaviour especially the more negative ones don't give a good impression on people's races and countries they come from.

Blame this competitive world we are living in. If you're given a full scholarship and monthly pocket money, I'm sure you'll move/migrate to that country and work for them too.



digs wrote:

From what I have encountered, there are many people who hate Americans, believe stereotypes, and disrespect my country and demonize us for various reasons. What I dislike is that it seems ok and acceptable to bash or hate on Americans or to push negative stereotypes as true. It's offensive to me but it only shows the ignorance of others. To hate someone simply because of their nationalism is wrong and ignorant. It's one thing to dislike a countries policies and disagree with them, it's another thing to hate the people and form discriminatory opinions and practices towards a national people group. To stop "countryists" I think we need to break down the barriers of pride and arrogance, because I believe pride and arrogance are one of the main factors in discrimination.

Hey, that's a good point you're got here. With the high standard of living and good quality of life, people tend to look down on those from the less developed/developing countries. But I don't think it can be prevented, since both pride and arrogance are a form of humanity.

That's not competitiveness, but rather positive reinforcement of certain individuals' behaviorism and idealism, by rewarding them with material wealth and social status. When our competitive nature can be a positive attitude, but it's been deviated from our natural course of self-actualization. By the current status quo of our society based on faction loyalty and political correctness. Just like pride and arrogance are feelings and attitude that we'll get from us knowing somethings better than others. In other words, our individual moral stance based on what we value, are the actualization of our pride, arrogance, and competitiveness.

Right about now(funk so bother), I think I know how to actualize just about every human nature towards something constructive and beneficial. Regardless of how the individual nature itself is being viewed as positive or negative. But behaviorism and idealism like faction loyalty and political correctness, are making individual self-actualization very difficult if not impossible.


Lionna wrote:

I think countryism can be prevented if everyone gets a grip on reality and realizes that everybody is different and where you live bears no significance or your intelligence, or your talents, or your personality traits.

Personally, I see it all the time. I'm from Canada, and I've heard SO many people so "Ugh, those damn Americans. They're all so rude." or whatever. It's kind of dumb. And at school, the girls used to FLOCK to the Asian exchange students and just fawn over them because they were "hot" without even trying to get to know them as people.

That's only if individuals achieve complete and total self-awareness by them being honest with themselves and each others.

I think countryism is almost the same like nationalism, but without the political backlash. Which isn't as bad, while it's still caused by the same ignorance and intolerance among individuals.

In fact, to me it's just another form of faction loyalty caused by prejudice among special interest groups. Who just want to feel good about themselves not because they deserve it, but through them downplaying on other people via unrealistic nation profiling. I mean what the heck, isn't that the exact same setup with racism!?

Furthermore, it requires from every individuals none other than their own intelligence, talents, and personality. In order for themselves to breakaway from the unrealistic profiling, simply by them being different from the rest because of who they really are as individuals. And yet the same unrealistic profiling still persistent among the same individuals, only this time however it's so that they can feel a sense of belonging to something greater than themselves.

So I ask, can I simply just be myself for I am humane? And why can't I just belong to this (hopefully still) green Earth that's sustaining humanity for all its worth? When my grandfather's family had to hide themselves away from the February 28 Holocaust in their neighbor's attic. Simply because those Chinese nationalists, with their nationalism fueled by unrealistic nation profiling, were coming for his family's lives while they screamed bloody murderers. While my grandfather only worked a desk job in the transportation bureau for 4 years.
Posted 12/19/09

Lionna wrote:

I think countryism can be prevented if everyone gets a grip on reality and realizes that everybody is different and where you live bears no significance or your intelligence, or your talents, or your personality traits.

Personally, I see it all the time. I'm from Canada, and I've heard SO many people so "Ugh, those damn Americans. They're all so rude." or whatever. It's kind of dumb. And at school, the girls used to FLOCK to the Asian exchange students and just fawn over them because they were "hot" without even trying to get to know them as people.

Must be the influence of mass media, girls in my school are going completely crazy over those korean boybands. I'm not surprised if it's happening over there too. Check out this video, the fangirl's reaction is bloody amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lw1fx_woJo




DomFortress
That's not competitiveness, but rather positive reinforcement of certain individuals' behaviorism and idealism, by rewarding them with material wealth and social status. When our competitive nature can be a positive attitude, but it's been deviated from our natural course of self-actualization. By the current status quo of our society based on faction loyalty and political correctness. Just like pride and arrogance are feelings and attitude that we'll get from us knowing somethings better than others. In other words, our individual moral stance based on what we value, are the actualization of our pride, arrogance, and competitiveness.

Right about now(funk so bother), I think I know how to actualize just about every human nature towards something constructive and beneficial. Regardless of how the individual nature itself is being viewed as positive or negative. But behaviorism and idealism like faction loyalty and political correctness, are making individual self-actualization very difficult if not impossible.

In fact, to me it's just another form of faction loyalty caused by prejudice among special interest groups. Who just want to feel good about themselves not because they deserve it, but through them downplaying on other people via unrealistic nation profiling. I mean what the heck, isn't that the exact same setup with racism!?



I like your point there, the younger generation don't deserve to share the pride of their own country and flame at the less developed ones when they didn't contribute a damn thing.

Well, it still relates to competition since countries use all kinds of ways to attract talents to compete with each other in terms of wealth, stability, technology etc. Anyway, even if the chinese are moving around the world looking for jobs, what's so wrong with it? People are unhappy because they don't have the potential to compete with them, nor dare to face the fact that they are smarter and more valuable in tough economy.



Posted 12/19/09 , edited 12/19/09

stareye_pink wrote:


DomFortress
That's not competitiveness, but rather positive reinforcement of certain individuals' behaviorism and idealism, by rewarding them with material wealth and social status. When our competitive nature can be a positive attitude, but it's been deviated from our natural course of self-actualization. By the current status quo of our society based on faction loyalty and political correctness. Just like pride and arrogance are feelings and attitude that we'll get from us knowing somethings better than others. In other words, our individual moral stance based on what we value, are the actualization of our pride, arrogance, and competitiveness.

Right about now(funk so bother), I think I know how to actualize just about every human nature towards something constructive and beneficial. Regardless of how the individual nature itself is being viewed as positive or negative. But behaviorism and idealism like faction loyalty and political correctness, are making individual self-actualization very difficult if not impossible.

In fact, to me it's just another form of faction loyalty caused by prejudice among special interest groups. Who just want to feel good about themselves not because they deserve it, but through them downplaying on other people via unrealistic nation profiling. I mean what the heck, isn't that the exact same setup with racism!?



I like your point there, the younger generation don't deserve to share the pride of their own country and flame at the less developed ones when they didn't contribute a damn thing.

Well, it still relates to competition since countries use all kinds of ways to attract talents to compete with each other in terms of wealth, stability, technology etc. Anyway, even if the chinese are moving around the world looking for jobs, what's so wrong with it? People are unhappy because they don't have the potential to compete with them, nor dare to face the fact that they are smarter and more valuable in tough economy.

More precisely, it's various state governments attracting human resources, by them using wealth, stability, and technology as baits. When you compare human behaviorism with animal behavioral science, you'll find that a lot of commercial and political practices are just various forms of human behavior reinforcement programs. As a matter of fact, by repeating the programs over time, we're simply teaching ourselves that our collective happiness is based on "wealth, stability, and technology".

That's how the human society became to value material wealth and social status, instead of good humanitarian efforts based on individual moral stances. Otherwise just how would you explain that Japanese business executives are being paid with one quarter of their nation's annual earnings, while their pork-belly and bureaucratic business policies are destroying Japanese family values. And while they further adding the national debt with massive bailouts from their national banks, when the Japanese government also contribute their fair share of the national debt. With them overspending the tax payers' money on an illusion of stability.

And don't forget that as a highly homogenized nation, Japanese immigration policy is vastly different than other developed nations, in a sense that they don't welcome highly trained foreigners with skills to offer. Thereby preventing their job market from outsourcing works to foreigners. Albeit that's another topic altogether.

In the end, the problems aren't economic globalization or our competitive nature. When they can facilitate interdependency among developed and developing nations. However I think the real problem lies in how we mistaken ourselves into blindly competing for wealth, stability, and technology can make us happy. When I'm just happy to compete for the sake of competition, because it's simply like a game to me.

In fact, that's how I utilized my competitiveness to make myself more constructive and beneficial; by me competing against my old self in everything that I do, including me out-thinking myself. And it's only natural for me to be proud of my own personal achievements, while I have feeling of arrogance towards those who don't challenge themselves to compete. That's me self-actualizing my strengths and potentials through my own individual moral stance of self-competition/discipline. Because I value my own possibility of who I am and what I can be, and those who love me for what I value are themselves loved by me in return.
You must be logged in to post.