First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Crunchy Roll Logo
1013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/20/09
Hi,

I'm a new user and have just started watching 'Time of Eve'.

It's working OK except that there's a very annoying 'crunchy roll' logo that keeps popping up about once a minute at the top right of the video!

It probably wouldn't be as bad if it were always there, it just seems to always catch my eye (and totally ruin the mood of the show) when it appears out of nowhere.

Is there any way to get rid of it?

Is this a 'feature' of ALL crunchy roll videos?!?

I feel like I'm being bombarded with advertising for something I've already bought!

Bye,
Mark
Posted 12/21/09
Actually, it's suppose to be like that and you'll see it with every CR video you happen to watch. And no, you can't get rid of it.
I believe It's basically a way of saying that this particular show is legally distributed by CR. There are many other websites that put there logo on their shows as well.
1013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/21/09
Sigh,

Cripes, if it's not DRM or region coding it's #$%ing advertising!

Consumer remains a second class citizen yet again, and the big wigs continue to wonder why 'piracy is rampant' - give me a product that's not 'broken' and I'll buy it!

I'll try to get used to it but suspect it's just gonna drive me nuts.

My Crunchy, please reconsider.

Bye,
Mark

73613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
104
Offline
Posted 12/22/09
You can get rid of it by being a member. Actually.
1013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/23/09
Hi,

> You can get rid of it by being a member. Actually.

Are you sure?

I did have an 'Anime' membership, but it was still there.

I'd rejoin in a flash if I can get rid of it!

Bye,
Mark

78167 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Japan
Offline
Posted 12/25/09 , edited 12/25/09
The logo is a watermark, and appears as a form of protection from illegal distribution. As much as we understand your situation, think of it as how radio stations tend to slap their station blip in the middle of songs. It may be a little annoying, but that's the point in deterring illegal rippers from stealing the content.

In addition, it is not a form of advertisement. In fact, it doesn't even make sense to advertise your own site once you're in it, yes? Suffice it to say that this is a site feature, and the current size, frequency, and positioning of the watermark reflects the amount of protection the site has ad to put up since the conception of legally distributing otherwise licensed content.



EDIT: plus, I don't get your logic. You say that this protection promotes piracy, when in fact the reason it is made in the first place is to combat it. CR is simply a distribution channel, and given its position, these protection measures are there BECAUSE of its format (i.e. online streaming). The ideal approach would be to buy the digital content directly from the licensor, which assures a "non-broken" product, in your words. Otherwise, you have to understand the context in which CR is situated in. It is one of the things you'll have to give up (in your case, the convenience of watching without a watermark) BECAUSE of piracy.
1013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/25/09 , edited 12/25/09
Hi,

Part of the problem may be that I am both a little older than the average Anime viewer (42 tomorrow...get off my lawn!) and also come from a country where 'in-media' DRM like this ('coz that's what it effectively is) is not yet very common.

We do have *discrete* small static logos on our free-to-air TV channels, but certainly no 'blips' in the middle of songs on the radio or anything nearly as obtrusive as the CR logo.

If you're not used to it, it's one hell of an eyesore!

> EDIT: plus, I don't get your logic. You say that this protection promotes piracy, when in fact the reason it is made in the first place is to combat it.

How exactly does it 'combat' piracy? By making the product so unwatchable no-one one will bother stealing it? Then why bother watching it?

If us 'honest', paying users are expected to put up with it, how is it expected to discourage pirates? Are they assumed to have higher standards or something?

Honestly, I can't help feeling that if whoever is making these decisions (and I understand a lot of this is outside of CR's control) took a punt on providing 'pirate quality' products to paying customers, a lot of piracy would simply cease to exist! The current approach of continually pissing off customer with more and more obnoxious DRM is, IMO, not working, especially for ME as a customer.

It's just really hard to see how stripping the watermark for paying customers would generate additional piracy. Shows are already available through other means if you just want something for nothing - and that will NEVER go away - but it WOULD give honest customers an alternative to piracy, something many of us don't currently have for all those cool looking shows that never make it to a subbed dvd release.

Bye!
Mark
78167 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Japan
Offline
Posted 12/29/09 , edited 12/29/09

marksibly wrote:

How exactly does it 'combat' piracy? By making the product so unwatchable no-one one will bother stealing it? Then why bother watching it?


Unwatchable? Sure, it's an inconvenience, but you can certainly still watch it.

Why bother to watch it? Because it's LEGAL, and people like you who support legal channels, such as this, actually HELP the industry.



I don't want to turn this thread into a debate regarding the peculiarities of DRM protocols and whatnot, but you put the point quite clearly that, yes, this is something that was made in response to decisions outside of CR's control. Again, the current size, position and frequency of the logo's appearance reflects the amount of protection needed since the site began streaming legal content. Unfortunately, this is not something you can remove - but if it's an issue of obtrusiveness, then perhaps I could make a suggestion regarding the size. I somewhat agree that it's rather big, but I can't make any promises that there may be any significant changes to it in the near future.
1013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/29/09
Hi,

> Unwatchable? Sure, it's an inconvenience, but you can certainly still watch it.

Well, I think it partially comes down to how much you're used to this sort of DRM.

For someone like me who's not used to it at all, it's incredibly distracting (see below).

If you're used to this sort of thing, 'blips' in radio songs etc (gadzooks!), probably less so. But I think that's kinda sad too...

Ultimately, I guess it's subjective too. I take my Anime/movie viewing pretty seriously, have a decent AV setup and like to really immerse myself in whatever I'm watching, so perhaps I take this more seriously than some? I even resurrected an old Linux box purely to watch CR!

> Why bother to watch it? Because it's LEGAL, and people like you who support legal channels, such as this, actually HELP the industry.

Well, I wont go into the DRM thing again either (as you may have guessed, I have strong opinions on the subject), but please rest assured I'm not a huge (or even little really!) pirate.

I actually legally own well over a hundred Anime series on dvd by now (many of which I've had to import due to the joys of region coding) and many more movies, OVAs etc. Not to mention a ton of figures and other merchandising that goes with it!

I'm a sucker for this stuff and will continue to pay legally for products where possible, but only as long as I can handle whatever DRM 'defects' have been applied to them.

> I somewhat agree that it's rather big,

Yes, it's too big (it's freakin' HUGE on my 54" screen!), but what really kills me is that it's animated, and after watching it a few times I found myself automatically 'counting down' to when it would next pop up!

Personally, I'd pay *at least* twice the subs to get rid of the CR logo altogether - or even pay per show - but if it really has to be there, it should be STATIC, about a quarter of the size and about twice as transparent. At which point, I would probably consider rejoining CR.

And perhaps I'm not exactly the typical user or whatever, but I suspect I do represent a significant market that takes quality pretty seriously and is happy to pay a reasonable price for it.

Bye!
Mark
hnak 
4143 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / crunchy-land!
Offline
Posted 12/30/09
lol, so are you going to demand that the TV and cable broadcasters remove their watermarks from their shows too?
1013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/30/09
Hi,

> lol, so are you going to demand that the TV and cable broadcasters remove their watermarks from their shows too?

Well, I have no idea how obtrusive the watermarks you're talking about are, so I can't say.

But if they were bad enough, then yes, as a potential customer, why not?

Bye!
Mark
78167 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Japan
Offline
Posted 1/2/10

marksibly wrote:

If you're used to this sort of thing, 'blips' in radio songs etc (gadzooks!), probably less so. But I think that's kinda sad too...


I used that as an example. Thankfully, I'm not in a country that does that to their radio broadcasts (points at America). Well, then again, DMCA issues have and always will be something to snarl at - and I understand where you're coming from, because I also have my beef with certain clauses in that legislation.


Ultimately, I guess it's subjective too. I take my Anime/movie viewing pretty seriously, have a decent AV setup and like to really immerse myself in whatever I'm watching, so perhaps I take this more seriously than some? I even resurrected an old Linux box purely to watch CR!


Yes, I know what you mean. I can't enjoy my Anime unless it's on my 32" (yes, petty compared to yours) flat screen and hooked up to my 7.1 home theater system. You are totally justified in your points - but then again, you're one of the first users I've come across to have such a vehement dislike towards the watermark.



I actually legally own well over a hundred Anime series on dvd by now (many of which I've had to import due to the joys of region coding) and many more movies, OVAs etc. Not to mention a ton of figures and other merchandising that goes with it!

I'm a sucker for this stuff and will continue to pay legally for products where possible, but only as long as I can handle whatever DRM 'defects' have been applied to them.


I personally bypass the entire problem by purchasing the original DVDs from Japan (yes, I understand Japanese, somewhat). If you were to ask me, the very "defect" in international distribution IS the fact that it's being distributed. In that sense, you will never have a "pure" product in the strictest sense of the term. Such is the price to pay, though, if you don't live in Japan. Hence if you want to watch what the Japanese watch, become Japanese, so I say.



Personally, I'd pay *at least* twice the subs to get rid of the CR logo altogether - or even pay per show - but if it really has to be there, it should be STATIC, about a quarter of the size and about twice as transparent. At which point, I would probably consider rejoining CR.


A static logo might not be too bad of a suggestion to forward. If it's just going to pop up randomly, anyway, might as well just have it sit around the whole time... kinda like the MTV logo.

1015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/29/10 , edited 5/29/10
Another new user here. This seemed to be the only thread on the topic I could find, so sorry for reviving it. It looks like the watermark pops up for five seconds every minute. Is this correct? Signed up for the free trial earlier but the watermark is so distracting I'm not sure I want to continue with it.

Edit: A bit more watching seems to reveal it's slightly more random. I'm presently under the assumption that it has a 1/5 chance to display every thirty seconds. Not that this makes it any less distracting. Definitely a show stopper for me.
Ronin
95035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / California
Online
Posted 5/29/10

llamaX wrote:

Another new user here. This seemed to be the only thread on the topic I could find, so sorry for reviving it. It looks like the watermark pops up for five seconds every minute. Is this correct? Signed up for the free trial earlier but the watermark is so distracting I'm not sure I want to continue with it.

Edit: A bit more watching seems to reveal it's slightly more random. I'm presently under the assumption that it has a 1/5 chance to display every thirty seconds. Not that this makes it any less distracting. Definitely a show stopper for me.


People usually get used to the logo pretty quickly, as long as you don't focus on it, but I can see if the logo can be made to be static instead of flashing on the screen.
Revolver Dogelot
72940 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / somewhere that is...
Offline
Posted 5/30/10
I am sure it isn't anywhere near that common. It only pops up like once every five minutes and only for a few seconds. I have watched many many shows on the site and I have never ever seen it more than once every handful of minutes. Having it be static smaller or not would be far more annoying honestly to most people.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.