Music file-sharer 'Oink' cleared of fraud
Ghost Moderator
AHTL 
87643 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / Norway
Online
Posted 1/15/10

A man who ran a music-sharing website with almost 200,000 members has been found not guilty of conspiracy to defraud at Teesside Crown Court.

Alan Ellis, 26, was the first person in the UK to be prosecuted for illegal file-sharing.

He operated the site, called Oink, from his flat in Middlesbrough from 2004 until it was closed down in a police raid in October 2007.

In that time Oink facilitated the download of 21 million music files.


Read More: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/tees/8461879.stm


Must say I was pretty surprised by the result. I was expecting him to get convicted. He must have had some good support, wonder what the consequences of this will have for everyone else. Especially when you think about the cases where private people have been sued and such.

What do you guys think?


About the whole situation, and how it might affect others.
Posted 1/15/10
When you think about it, it's unfair because of what happened to lady who was sued for over a million dollars for file sharing. read her story if you like he should at least get fined (not heavily) for it & be prohibited from doing it again :3
Ghost Moderator
AHTL 
87643 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / Norway
Online
Posted 1/15/10

mystic17 wrote:

When you think about it, it's unfair because of what happened to lady who was sued for over a million dollars for file sharing. read her story if you like he should at least get fined (not heavily) for it & be prohibited from doing it again :3


Why? It's not his fault she got sued.
Posted 1/15/10
I actually bought 2NE1's mini-album overseas. I'm such a good boy.
82628 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / London
Offline
Posted 1/15/10

AHTL wrote:

What do you guys think?

About the whole situation, and how it might affect others.

People will then have to look for another illegal music downloading site

Wonder what he used as his defence.
Posted 1/15/10

AHTL wrote:


mystic17 wrote:

When you think about it, it's unfair because of what happened to lady who was sued for over a million dollars for file sharing. read her story if you like he should at least get fined (not heavily) for it & be prohibited from doing it again :3


Why? It's not his fault she got sued.


still unfair though. its suppose to be equal retribution for everyone within the so-called justice in court. :3
Posted 1/15/10
very true!
Posted 1/15/10

korean_chick wrote:


AHTL wrote:

What do you guys think?

About the whole situation, and how it might affect others.

People will then have to look for another illegal music downloading site

Wonder what he used as his defence.


like this:

http://www.4shared.com/dir/22206254/44f11c20/sharing.html
Ghost Moderator
AHTL 
87643 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / Norway
Online
Posted 1/15/10



Well, first of all. The laws are outdated. Secondly, most people are who against torrenting have no idea how it all works.

So probably a combination of those two, and the whole stinking affair with how he got arrested.

To quote a friend:







The world ain't fair, and making a single mother carrying the "sins" of thousands of people, to scare others is just cruel. Her life is probably ruined forever, just because she downloaded 24 songs, which is probably the same as, what 3 albums?
You must be logged in to post.