First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
PS3 where are your new RPG's?
47117 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Arnold Maryland
Offline
Posted 7/29/10
If someone was to ask me what are some RPG games you have. I would say these

Fallout3
Oblivion
Dragon Age: Origins
Mass Effect

If someone asked JRPG's I would say.

Tales of Vesperia
Magna Carta 2
Star Ocean: The Last Hope
Rune Factory Frontier (this is a japanese game....but it doesnt have too many of the RPG elements so....all I know it is a japanese game)

But now I have a question. Isnt a JRPG an OFFICIAL term? Because if it is.....than doesnt that mean that RPG and JRPG are both RPG's? Besides one being Japanese? I mean if the Japanese games werent RPG's....then would why it have been called it? From this question I have posed here......my solution to "What deems a game an RPG"....is just having some RPG elements.....I dont know a number.....but if it has some elements....than wouldnt that be an RPG? Not like 1 or 2 elements....but maybe 3 or 4. To me this makes sense
59309 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Billings,Montana
Offline
Posted 7/29/10
Zelda is an action rpg. There is a big difference between western and eastern rpg's. I have been playing roleplaying games since Dragon Quest 1 on the nes. I should know the difference between whats rpg and whats not. If what you say is right about final fantasy not being rpg then I guess rpg's never started to exist until way later then. LOL I have been mistaken oh no. I actually prefer the jrpg's over the western rpg's. I tried Elder Scrolls 3 on the xbox and I hated that game. I haven't tried all the western rpg's but I find them to be partly boring. I would really play a jrpg because it has a story. With Elder scrolls and the rest of them. They have little story but more exploration. If you haven't played a Final Fantasy you get to customize other stuff in your inventory and when you gain levels up. You do get stats up and you do get experience. Anyways all of these western games didn't come out till later. They mostly lived on the computer. Another thing Baulder's Gate and Diablo is a action roleplaying game. So, in other words a rpg is a game that you gain stats to the character. Well sports game you can create your character and give stats to it and even train your guy. Does this make it a rpg in your book? If you want a western rpg buy a computer and stop complaining cause that is where they all reside on.
5 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 8/2/10
Okay, look. In Final Fantasy, it's true you don't build your character from the ground up. The game itself is your dungeon master, and he gives you pre constructed characters to do with as you please, by customizing their skills and spells as you LEVEL UP. Yes, you DO gain levels in a Final Fantasy game, which increases your stats and helps you learn new abilities. You CAN buy new armor, weapons, and accessories. While in many of the early FF games you don't see a change in your armor, you DO see your weapons look different (Example, in Final Fantasy IX, the main hero has a wide variety of different pairs of daggers, as well as the option for large double-bladed weapons). Each character has their own unique abilities (Thief, martial artist, black mage, etc.). It IS an RPG. Just a different STYLE of OFFICIAL RPG. You're just too thick-headed to realize you're just wrong. And your brother is wrong too (that is, if you even DO have a younger brother who supposedly went to college).

And also, why don't you have your brother join just to pick us apart? Surely he, in his "infinite wisdom" can correct us "kids" (I'm 25 by the way, and I have been gaming for 20 years of my life as well).

Also, you say YOU'RE the older brother? Dude, your spelling and grammar is atrocious. Sure, has nothing to do with the topic, but may as well throw that in too.

For the tl;dr crowd: GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL AND JUST ADMIT YOU ARE WRONG. YOUR BROTHER MAY OR MAY NOT ALSO BE FAKE. GRAMMAR BLOWS.

Thank you and good night.
59775 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / CA
Offline
Posted 8/2/10
I rented Borderlands and was pleasantly surprised. Though I don't know if that would fit better under the RPG or FPS category.
25581 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 8/3/10
Ahh Fallout 3, I just absolutely love that game. Cant wait for New Vegas to come out. If you kinda think of it, there are actually a decent amount of RPGs, but not a huge pile of them though. Not like the shooters, everything is always multi-player experience now eh? And from what I can remember, Final Fantasy is a RPG.
2247 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 8/3/10
DEVIL MAY CRY 3!!~ :DD LOVE IS IN THE AIRRR
59098 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Tacodome
Offline
Posted 8/4/10

Anewlight wrote:

Zelda is an action rpg. There is a big difference between western and eastern rpg's. I have been playing roleplaying games since Dragon Quest 1 on the nes. I should know the difference between whats rpg and whats not. If what you say is right about final fantasy not being rpg then I guess rpg's never started to exist until way later then. LOL I have been mistaken oh no. I actually prefer the jrpg's over the western rpg's. I tried Elder Scrolls 3 on the xbox and I hated that game. I haven't tried all the western rpg's but I find them to be partly boring. I would really play a jrpg because it has a story. With Elder scrolls and the rest of them. They have little story but more exploration. If you haven't played a Final Fantasy you get to customize other stuff in your inventory and when you gain levels up. You do get stats up and you do get experience. Anyways all of these western games didn't come out till later. They mostly lived on the computer. Another thing Baulder's Gate and Diablo is a action roleplaying game. So, in other words a rpg is a game that you gain stats to the character. Well sports game you can create your character and give stats to it and even train your guy. Does this make it a rpg in your book? If you want a western rpg buy a computer and stop complaining cause that is where they all reside on.


Ok, first thing is only ONE zelda game has EVER been an action RPG and that was zelda 2: the adventure of link. it was the only game in the entire series with any sort of RPG elements as you played and defeated enemies you gained points for which you hit new tiers of strength, defense or magical power no other zelda game has ever done that or unfortunately will do so again. I tend to agree though with your view on most WRPG's like oblivion or oblivion with guns...er fallout 3.

Anymore jrpg's are pretty interactive visual novels with RPG combat mini games. While they may be fun, they have very little roleplaying to be had which a lot of WRPG's get more into. Yes, making a character helps one get involved in how they might want to play their character but that in itself does NOT make it an RPG. Unfotunately any WRPG's around tend to have the accursed "morality meter" with such largely determines your ending for WRPG's but never truly leaves any room for anything other than a paragon of humanity or thrice-cursed baby eater. Yes, Dragon age changed that a bit but not a lot. Instead of just one morality meter you have 6 to worry about with the aquireable characters with any sort of personality. Sure, they don't affect the end like old morality meters but they're still there and you still have to deal with them if you want a weird team put together like I unfortunately did (wynne, shale, zhevran) though putting good and bad characters together makes for some of the funniest conversations while wandering around.
7290 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / bang
Offline
Posted 8/5/10 , edited 8/6/10

Grimlock64 wrote:


Okay, look. In Final Fantasy, it's true you don't build your character from the ground up. The game itself is your dungeon master, and he gives you pre constructed characters to do with as you please, by customizing their skills and spells as you LEVEL UP.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but contradiction much?

Yes, you DO gain levels in a Final Fantasy game, which increases your stats and helps you learn new abilities. You CAN buy new armor, weapons, and accessories.
Fair enough

While in many of the early FF games you don't see a change in your armor, you DO see your weapons look different (Example, in Final Fantasy IX, the main hero has a wide variety of different pairs of daggers, as well as the option for large double-bladed weapons).
I have no clue why you decided suddenly that apparance was part of a rpg.

Each character has their own unique abilities (Thief, martial artist, black mage, etc.). It IS an RPG. Just a different STYLE of OFFICIAL RPG.
You could just use wikipedia, to disprove his logic, much easier.

You're just too thick-headed to realize you're just wrong. And your brother is wrong too (that is, if you even DO have a younger brother who supposedly went to college).
I got nothing to say cause I'm not those guys

And also, why don't you have your brother join just to pick us apart? Surely he, in his "infinite wisdom" can correct us "kids" (I'm 25 by the way, and I have been gaming for 20 years of my life as well).
Too bad I'm 13 and just came here.


Also, you say YOU'RE the older brother? Dude, your spelling and grammar is atrocious. Sure, has nothing to do with the topic, but may as well throw that in too.
He might be faking lol. Just a slim possibility.


For the tl;dr crowd: GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL AND JUST ADMIT YOU ARE WRONG. YOUR BROTHER MAY OR MAY NOT ALSO BE FAKE. GRAMMAR BLOWS.
Thats a cool stor- *shot*

Thank you and good night.
Good night mang


I was lolwhuting the whole time. I'm srs.
What the hell does armor appearance have to do with rpgs?
If you're gonna do that, might as well say Call of duty is an rpg as well, since you can notice gun changes
Kthnx.

EDIT : forget the wiki part, =/

EDIT TWO : There ain't even a tl;dr crowd, you be trippin balls.
70558 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Flushing,NY
Online
Posted 8/5/10

HaseoxSora wrote:


Grimlock64 wrote:


Okay, look. In Final Fantasy, it's true you don't build your character from the ground up. The game itself is your dungeon master, and he gives you pre constructed characters to do with as you please, by customizing their skills and spells as you LEVEL UP.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but contradiction much?

Yes, you DO gain levels in a Final Fantasy game, which increases your stats and helps you learn new abilities. You CAN buy new armor, weapons, and accessories.
Fair enough

While in many of the early FF games you don't see a change in your armor, you DO see your weapons look different (Example, in Final Fantasy IX, the main hero has a wide variety of different pairs of daggers, as well as the option for large double-bladed weapons).
I have no clue why you decided suddenly that apparance was part of a rpg.

Each character has their own unique abilities (Thief, martial artist, black mage, etc.). It IS an RPG. Just a different STYLE of OFFICIAL RPG.
You could just use wikipedia, to disprove his logic, much easier.

You're just too thick-headed to realize you're just wrong. And your brother is wrong too (that is, if you even DO have a younger brother who supposedly went to college).
I got nothing to say cause I'm not those guys

And also, why don't you have your brother join just to pick us apart? Surely he, in his "infinite wisdom" can correct us "kids" (I'm 25 by the way, and I have been gaming for 20 years of my life as well).
Too bad I'm 13 and just came here.


Also, you say YOU'RE the older brother? Dude, your spelling and grammar is atrocious. Sure, has nothing to do with the topic, but may as well throw that in too.
He might be faking lol. Just a slim possibility.


For the tl;dr crowd: GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL AND JUST ADMIT YOU ARE WRONG. YOUR BROTHER MAY OR MAY NOT ALSO BE FAKE. GRAMMAR BLOWS.
Thats a cool stor- *shot*

Thank you and good night.
Good night mang


I was lolwhuting the whole time. I'm srs.
What the hell does armor appearance have to do with rpgs?
If you're gonna do that, might as well say Call of duty is an rpg as well, since you can notice gun changes
Kthnx.

EDIT : forget the wiki part, =/

well in COD you do PLAY as the ROLE on some guy whoose name does not stick in my head in that GAME
7290 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / bang
Offline
Posted 8/6/10

lordjeusechrist wrote:


HaseoxSora wrote:


Grimlock64 wrote:


Okay, look. In Final Fantasy, it's true you don't build your character from the ground up. The game itself is your dungeon master, and he gives you pre constructed characters to do with as you please, by customizing their skills and spells as you LEVEL UP.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but contradiction much?

Yes, you DO gain levels in a Final Fantasy game, which increases your stats and helps you learn new abilities. You CAN buy new armor, weapons, and accessories.
Fair enough

While in many of the early FF games you don't see a change in your armor, you DO see your weapons look different (Example, in Final Fantasy IX, the main hero has a wide variety of different pairs of daggers, as well as the option for large double-bladed weapons).
I have no clue why you decided suddenly that apparance was part of a rpg.

Each character has their own unique abilities (Thief, martial artist, black mage, etc.). It IS an RPG. Just a different STYLE of OFFICIAL RPG.
You could just use wikipedia, to disprove his logic, much easier.

You're just too thick-headed to realize you're just wrong. And your brother is wrong too (that is, if you even DO have a younger brother who supposedly went to college).
I got nothing to say cause I'm not those guys

And also, why don't you have your brother join just to pick us apart? Surely he, in his "infinite wisdom" can correct us "kids" (I'm 25 by the way, and I have been gaming for 20 years of my life as well).
Too bad I'm 13 and just came here.


Also, you say YOU'RE the older brother? Dude, your spelling and grammar is atrocious. Sure, has nothing to do with the topic, but may as well throw that in too.
He might be faking lol. Just a slim possibility.


For the tl;dr crowd: GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL AND JUST ADMIT YOU ARE WRONG. YOUR BROTHER MAY OR MAY NOT ALSO BE FAKE. GRAMMAR BLOWS.
Thats a cool stor- *shot*

Thank you and good night.
Good night mang


I was lolwhuting the whole time. I'm srs.
What the hell does armor appearance have to do with rpgs?
If you're gonna do that, might as well say Call of duty is an rpg as well, since you can notice gun changes
Kthnx.

EDIT : forget the wiki part, =/

well in COD you do PLAY as the ROLE on some guy whoose name does not stick in my head in that GAME


Lol, I really have nothing to say but my fail logic. I don't think CoD wasn't meant to be a Rpg, but a shooter, so, even if you count in the rpg aspects that CoD give, (not including gun changes) the creators would still say it's a shooter, and was meant to be a shooter.

This is, of course, my fail logic. Feel free to flame me if I'm wrong.

Conclusion : Even if it was supposed to be an "action" rpg, the creators meant it to be a shooter. o - o
70558 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Flushing,NY
Online
Posted 8/6/10

HaseoxSora wrote:


lordjeusechrist wrote:


HaseoxSora wrote:


Grimlock64 wrote:


Okay, look. In Final Fantasy, it's true you don't build your character from the ground up. The game itself is your dungeon master, and he gives you pre constructed characters to do with as you please, by customizing their skills and spells as you LEVEL UP.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but contradiction much?

Yes, you DO gain levels in a Final Fantasy game, which increases your stats and helps you learn new abilities. You CAN buy new armor, weapons, and accessories.
Fair enough

While in many of the early FF games you don't see a change in your armor, you DO see your weapons look different (Example, in Final Fantasy IX, the main hero has a wide variety of different pairs of daggers, as well as the option for large double-bladed weapons).
I have no clue why you decided suddenly that apparance was part of a rpg.

Each character has their own unique abilities (Thief, martial artist, black mage, etc.). It IS an RPG. Just a different STYLE of OFFICIAL RPG.
You could just use wikipedia, to disprove his logic, much easier.

You're just too thick-headed to realize you're just wrong. And your brother is wrong too (that is, if you even DO have a younger brother who supposedly went to college).
I got nothing to say cause I'm not those guys

And also, why don't you have your brother join just to pick us apart? Surely he, in his "infinite wisdom" can correct us "kids" (I'm 25 by the way, and I have been gaming for 20 years of my life as well).
Too bad I'm 13 and just came here.


Also, you say YOU'RE the older brother? Dude, your spelling and grammar is atrocious. Sure, has nothing to do with the topic, but may as well throw that in too.
He might be faking lol. Just a slim possibility.


For the tl;dr crowd: GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL AND JUST ADMIT YOU ARE WRONG. YOUR BROTHER MAY OR MAY NOT ALSO BE FAKE. GRAMMAR BLOWS.
Thats a cool stor- *shot*

Thank you and good night.
Good night mang


I was lolwhuting the whole time. I'm srs.
What the hell does armor appearance have to do with rpgs?
If you're gonna do that, might as well say Call of duty is an rpg as well, since you can notice gun changes
Kthnx.

EDIT : forget the wiki part, =/

well in COD you do PLAY as the ROLE on some guy whoose name does not stick in my head in that GAME


Lol, I really have nothing to say but my fail logic. I don't think CoD wasn't meant to be a Rpg, but a shooter, so, even if you count in the rpg aspects that CoD give, (not including gun changes) the creators would still say it's a shooter, and was meant to be a shooter.

This is, of course, my fail logic. Feel free to flame me if I'm wrong.

Conclusion : Even if it was supposed to be an "action" rpg, the creators meant it to be a shooter. o - o

lol i know i just wanted to point that out to everyone here since this forum kinda turned to a "Whats the meaning of an RPG" kinda forum, since when rpgs were first made as video games it was might to be a term used for games that had dragons and knights with changing stat ability since most rpgs first started as a tribute to the first RPG bored game dungeons and dragons, and from that formula it evolved into the jrpg and wrpg that we know and love
7290 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / bang
Offline
Posted 8/6/10

lordjeusechrist wrote:


HaseoxSora wrote:


lordjeusechrist wrote:


HaseoxSora wrote:


Grimlock64 wrote:


Okay, look. In Final Fantasy, it's true you don't build your character from the ground up. The game itself is your dungeon master, and he gives you pre constructed characters to do with as you please, by customizing their skills and spells as you LEVEL UP.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but contradiction much?

Yes, you DO gain levels in a Final Fantasy game, which increases your stats and helps you learn new abilities. You CAN buy new armor, weapons, and accessories.
Fair enough

While in many of the early FF games you don't see a change in your armor, you DO see your weapons look different (Example, in Final Fantasy IX, the main hero has a wide variety of different pairs of daggers, as well as the option for large double-bladed weapons).
I have no clue why you decided suddenly that apparance was part of a rpg.

Each character has their own unique abilities (Thief, martial artist, black mage, etc.). It IS an RPG. Just a different STYLE of OFFICIAL RPG.
You could just use wikipedia, to disprove his logic, much easier.

You're just too thick-headed to realize you're just wrong. And your brother is wrong too (that is, if you even DO have a younger brother who supposedly went to college).
I got nothing to say cause I'm not those guys

And also, why don't you have your brother join just to pick us apart? Surely he, in his "infinite wisdom" can correct us "kids" (I'm 25 by the way, and I have been gaming for 20 years of my life as well).
Too bad I'm 13 and just came here.


Also, you say YOU'RE the older brother? Dude, your spelling and grammar is atrocious. Sure, has nothing to do with the topic, but may as well throw that in too.
He might be faking lol. Just a slim possibility.


For the tl;dr crowd: GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL AND JUST ADMIT YOU ARE WRONG. YOUR BROTHER MAY OR MAY NOT ALSO BE FAKE. GRAMMAR BLOWS.
Thats a cool stor- *shot*

Thank you and good night.
Good night mang


I was lolwhuting the whole time. I'm srs.
What the hell does armor appearance have to do with rpgs?
If you're gonna do that, might as well say Call of duty is an rpg as well, since you can notice gun changes
Kthnx.

EDIT : forget the wiki part, =/

well in COD you do PLAY as the ROLE on some guy whoose name does not stick in my head in that GAME


Lol, I really have nothing to say but my fail logic. I don't think CoD wasn't meant to be a Rpg, but a shooter, so, even if you count in the rpg aspects that CoD give, (not including gun changes) the creators would still say it's a shooter, and was meant to be a shooter.

This is, of course, my fail logic. Feel free to flame me if I'm wrong.

Conclusion : Even if it was supposed to be an "action" rpg, the creators meant it to be a shooter. o - o

lol i know i just wanted to point that out to everyone here since this forum kinda turned to a "Whats the meaning of an RPG" kinda forum, since when rpgs were first made as video games it was might to be a term used for games that had dragons and knights with changing stat ability since most rpgs first started as a tribute to the first RPG bored game dungeons and dragons, and from that formula it evolved into the jrpg and wrpg that we know and love


Lol, Darkpheonix with his stupidity started it, don't worry. I mean; "It's a J-rpg, not an rpg". I facepalm'd at him so hard.
You can just say rpgs are like, to the eye of the beholder, but there are common aspects that rpg's usually and most likely have to have.
and sure, I'll agree with the other stuff you said, cause I have no clue what Dungeon and Dragons is, and don't really wanna play it in the near future.
70558 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Flushing,NY
Online
Posted 8/7/10 , edited 8/7/10


understandable i read his post too it felt so stupid my mind blanked out for a moment reading it, and no you do not want to try D&D anytime soon be the fun it is it turns you into a basement dweller in the near future
7290 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / bang
Offline
Posted 8/7/10

lordjeusechrist wrote:



understandable i read his post too it felt so stupid my mind blanked out for a moment reading it, and no you do not want to try D&D anytime soon be the fun it is it turns you into a basement dweller in the near future


Is it really that good? Lol.
81053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 8/8/10 , edited 8/8/10
The definition of an RPG for anyone interested -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_game

This puts FF in the category.

And even some action games like Darksiders.

Personally, I think FF feels like an RPG as does the Fallout series.

However, I don't think Demon Soulz did, it felt more action-based like Darksiders or Bayonetta. Which according to Wiki should be classed as RPGs.

I guess in the end, RPG is such a broad term we will all have our own definition.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.