First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
What is the 'Self'?
8742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Scotland, Aberdeen
Offline
Posted 2/28/10
Considering the etymology (http://www.wordnik.com/words/social/etymologies) of the word, I must disagree. Imagination is an instance of a person and if it is accepted that it may interact socially with a person, the only possible result is absurdity.
Posted 2/28/10

DerfelCadarn wrote:

Considering the etymology (http://www.wordnik.com/words/social/etymologies) of the word, I must disagree. Imagination is an instance of a person and if it is accepted that it may interact socially with a person, the only possible result is absurdity.
However imagination is also the engine for abstract thinking and creativity, the necessary tools for survival in a different situation.
8742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Scotland, Aberdeen
Offline
Posted 2/28/10

DomFortress wrote:

However imagination is also the engine for abstract thinking and creativity, the necessary tools for survival in a different situation.


That does not address my point.
Posted 2/28/10

DerfelCadarn wrote:


DomFortress wrote:

However imagination is also the engine for abstract thinking and creativity, the necessary tools for survival in a different situation.


That does not address my point.
You said it here that "Imagination is an instance of a person and if it is accepted that it may interact socially with a person, the only possible result is absurdity."

So what do you think will happen in a social interaction with a different situation, due to the fact that you encountered someone with different opinion? That's right, due to your lack of imagination, you automatically assigned a different outcome with the value of "absurdity".
8742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Scotland, Aberdeen
Offline
Posted 2/28/10

DomFortress wrote:

You said it here that "Imagination is an instance of a person and if it is accepted that it may interact socially with a person, the only possible result is absurdity."

So what do you think will happen in a social interaction with a different situation, due to the fact that you encountered someone with different opinion? That's right, due to your lack of imagination, you automatically assigned a different outcome with the value of "absurdity".


You employ utmost liberty in interpreting my words which are, quite frankly, to be given their ordinary meaning as I have intended, not twisted to suit the needs of your argument.

I have a strong suspicion that you either misunderstand or ignore partly what I say here. Additionally, you seem to enjoy creating vagueness and ambiguity and then blaming your opponents for not being able to revel in the chaos that you have caused. You may wish to play the role of the 'outcast dreamer' and you may accuse me of being bereft of imagination, it does not change the obvious fact that a discussion is a forum of clarity and logic, not of imagination and deliberate ambiguities. As there is nothing meaningful, in accordance with long-established rules of argumentation, for me to respond to, I will now abandon this aspect of the discussion.
4761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/11/10 , edited 3/11/10
Well, there are three you's.

1) The person you think you are.
2) The person you want to be
3) The person you actually are. (Which you yourself do not know)
1844 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / In The Abyss
Offline
Posted 3/18/10
I can't speak for everyone, but I am whoever I see myself as. I'm not talking crazy fantasies where I'm some sort of hero or something, but when I stare blankly into space I say I do just that when someone else may say I was glaring angrily or maybe frowning with sorrow. It's not something a person can comprehend so easily, so I've settled with my own little belief that whether I am real or fake my mind thinks what it thinks, my body does what it does, I do what I do, so I cannot deny the past thoughts and events nor can I stop thinking the way I do now just because i want to, I am me and that's what I'll take myself for, I am not a student, I am not a teenager, I am not an idiot, I'm just a person.
135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / mississippi
Offline
Posted 3/19/10
if u want to know self or what makes you u, stop and think no two people are alike.

sure they may be very similar but never the same.

I find who i am by taking the time to stop, and access my life and what makes me unique to myself or the fact that i can think to myself is proof enough to me.
5788 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Crunchyland
Offline
Posted 3/28/10
Increasing your self-awareness is a journey full of failures and successes. Finding your identity is a process with no real end point. That is, you'll never be "done" because you're always growing and changing - and so are the people around you.
65911 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / F / Atlanta GA
Offline
Posted 3/28/10
Please put down your weed, your next line of thought will be are atoms small galaxies. way cool man take another toke.
65911 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / F / Atlanta GA
Offline
Posted 3/28/10
I guess you could try ACID Peyote's people have told me they had thought kind of trip. To take a mind altering drug dose it make your perceptions valid. Beats me.
25644 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 4/5/10 , edited 4/5/10
The self is what made through experience...However they are factors that are precede the existence birth of the individual. Such as the parents economic situation or born to a family with stringest principles.. Regardless if you live in a democracy or not, societal expectations will still exist in one form or another..Conformity or the molding of yourself to the statute of society will exist.... Thus the notion of absolute freedom does not exist..For example The American dream of tangentially becoming the best irrespective of future ambitions for occupations or field, marshalls the individual to perform the best otherwise happiness is not achieved...Western society has forgotten what the true definition of living is. Freedom however cannot be definied as that is the principle of freedom itself. Without a unitary definition falling under the auspices of the individuals wants and needs. It's impossible to deviate from the proxy of society itself however it possible to obtain one form of individuality or another...Even a democratic culture is hereby fascist as it has expectations. In a sense all dialectical societies are fascist. However even though these incipient tribulations persist, a man who is beholden to the precepts of a curious nature will question and pause to discern the excess from process of the self.
Posted 4/5/10
To be self-aware of oneself is to dig in why does one mood get a certain way over certain circumstances such as death, life, or lost; It seems that these days people tend to ignore such things and eventually hid themselves away in drugs, work, entertainment, or alcohol. This is a sense of living dead because to not be aware of oneself is not experiencing life itself.

I'm glad that there is a forum like this with people who actually care about their lives, most of my acquaintances ignore what differs them from animals.
Posted 4/6/10
Reunited and it feels so gooooood...
21247 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / South Gate, Calif...
Offline
Posted 4/15/10
I'm a flawed person who tries to better themselves daily through struggle. I'm a Martial artist(Brazilian Jiu Jitsu), an anime fan, a video gamer, a competitor, a music fan (metalcore, hardcore, heavy metal, grindcore,alternative) I'm someone who has gone through experiences and have morphed into the person i've become. I'm a person that has accepted that happiness(success) equals doing something you love for a living.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.