First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Funi is not doing a secound season of Big Windup Bad news for anime and sports fans alike.
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 2/14/10
little pissed At Funimation right now.
I just found out your not going to do the 2nd season of Big windup! Do to lack of sales! I did not even know your selling any sports anime in the first place till a day ago.. so I do not think lack of sales is do to lack of interest at all. But instead lack of properly getting your titles out where people can see them. How can we buy something if we do not know about it?

What do you think?








114162 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / in a world where...
Offline
Posted 2/14/10
it goes to show u they only care bout money... sure money is important thing but they need to prepare in advance i dont know bout the anime at all but if its a cliffhanger type im all for it (it reminds me of Kaze no Stigma) if not as long as its 23 or less eps im still for it

but if its neither it doesnt matter to me since i dont rly like sports anime unless theres fantasy elements in it cuz if i wanted to watch sports i turn to the real thing on TV
88479 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 2/14/10 , edited 2/14/10
Well, that anime had a serious pacing problem... It's not the only sports anime with 1 match going for 12+ episodes, but with only 25 or so eps total, it kind of ruins the feel to the series...

It's easily the worst sports anime I've seen, although as an anime itself it isn't that bad (sports animes are generally a touch above the rest). As a baseball anime, it simply just doesn't compare to Major, or works by Adachi Mitsuru...

Either way, the upcoming season 2 will still be subbed.

I do agree Funimation has serious problems with distribution though, especially of their less known titles...
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 2/15/10 , edited 2/15/10

llamaben wrote:

Well, that anime had a serious pacing problem... It's not the only sports anime with 1 match going for 12+ episodes, but with only 25 or so eps total, it kind of ruins the feel to the series...

It's easily the worst sports anime I've seen, although as an anime itself it isn't that bad (sports animes are generally a touch above the rest). As a baseball anime, it simply just doesn't compare to Major, or works by Adachi Mitsuru...

Either way, the upcoming season 2 will still be subbed.

I do agree Funimation has serious problems with distribution though, especially of their less known titles...


That is because to the most part it did not skip. It allow you to see the hole game. I also like the deeper characters you find in this anime over what you find in Major.

88479 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 2/15/10

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


llamaben wrote:

Well, that anime had a serious pacing problem... It's not the only sports anime with 1 match going for 12+ episodes, but with only 25 or so eps total, it kind of ruins the feel to the series...

It's easily the worst sports anime I've seen, although as an anime itself it isn't that bad (sports animes are generally a touch above the rest). As a baseball anime, it simply just doesn't compare to Major, or works by Adachi Mitsuru...

Either way, the upcoming season 2 will still be subbed.

I do agree Funimation has serious problems with distribution though, especially of their less known titles...


That is because to the most part it did not skip. It allow you to see the hole game.
That is true, but that is also what makes it boring...

18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 2/15/10

llamaben wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


llamaben wrote:

Well, that anime had a serious pacing problem... It's not the only sports anime with 1 match going for 12+ episodes, but with only 25 or so eps total, it kind of ruins the feel to the series...

It's easily the worst sports anime I've seen, although as an anime itself it isn't that bad (sports animes are generally a touch above the rest). As a baseball anime, it simply just doesn't compare to Major, or works by Adachi Mitsuru...

Either way, the upcoming season 2 will still be subbed.

I do agree Funimation has serious problems with distribution though, especially of their less known titles...


That is because to the most part it did not skip. It allow you to see the hole game.
That is true, but that is also what makes it boring...



Yeah but it also allows you to learn about the other characters. It does not make one character on the team the hero.. and make everyone else useless like you get with the other baseball anime out there. You dive a lot deeper into the characters and there personalities.
Posted 2/15/10

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


llamaben wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


llamaben wrote:

Well, that anime had a serious pacing problem... It's not the only sports anime with 1 match going for 12+ episodes, but with only 25 or so eps total, it kind of ruins the feel to the series...

It's easily the worst sports anime I've seen, although as an anime itself it isn't that bad (sports animes are generally a touch above the rest). As a baseball anime, it simply just doesn't compare to Major, or works by Adachi Mitsuru...

Either way, the upcoming season 2 will still be subbed.

I do agree Funimation has serious problems with distribution though, especially of their less known titles...


That is because to the most part it did not skip. It allow you to see the hole game.
That is true, but that is also what makes it boring...



Yeah but it also allows you to learn about the other characters. It does not make one character on the team the hero.. and make everyone else useless like you get with the other baseball anime out there. You dive a lot deeper into the characters and there personalities.


well the same thing happened to higurashi "when they cry", the dvd sales where shit on the 1st season and they will not bring out he second season, even though everything is resolved and answered in the 2nd season. I have the 1st season box set and I hope that funi will wise up but who really knows?? Time will only tell and that sucks about your series as well but the best you can do is write them or import the dvds/bluray dics
88479 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 2/15/10

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Yeah but it also allows you to learn about the other characters. It does not make one character on the team the hero.. and make everyone else useless like you get with the other baseball anime out there. You dive a lot deeper into the characters and there personalities.


I'll also agree with that, but usually there are only 2-3 useless characters (with the exception of Major S4, where basically everyone was useless). I believe that there should be a good mix between off-field and on-field development, and this one definitely has way too much on-field.

You do dive into their characters and personalities, but to me, off-field development makes the characters more memorable. I watched Major and this at around the same time (this alittle later)... This is a table of how many characters on the baseball team can remember. For those who don't know, Major has new characters in most seasons, with the exception of the one main one. Cross Game is still ongoing, but is filled with so much off-field development that all characters become memorable.


I have my preference, and I'll leave it at that.
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 2/16/10 , edited 2/16/10

llamaben wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Yeah but it also allows you to learn about the other characters. It does not make one character on the team the hero.. and make everyone else useless like you get with the other baseball anime out there. You dive a lot deeper into the characters and there personalities.


I'll also agree with that, but usually there are only 2-3 useless characters (with the exception of Major S4, where basically everyone was useless). I believe that there should be a good mix between off-field and on-field development, and this one definitely has way too much on-field.

You do dive into their characters and personalities, but to me, off-field development makes the characters more memorable. I watched Major and this at around the same time (this alittle later)... This is a table of how many characters on the baseball team can remember. For those who don't know, Major has new characters in most seasons, with the exception of the one main one. Cross Game is still ongoing, but is filled with so much off-field development that all characters become memorable.


I have my preference, and I'll leave it at that.


Wile it is true that baseball games seem to take 4 to 6 episodes. (not 12.) It is also true that they spend 3 to 4 episodes off the field as well, like there little get together and there classes. There was a huge character building part at there training camp, where they really did not play baseball at all, but learn about them selves, and how to relax.
Maby you just zoned more into there games? But it evens out the time in-between games and other stuff. (at that the last 2 episodes had nothing to do with Baseball, but more about friendship.)

88479 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 2/16/10 , edited 2/16/10

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:
Wile it is true that baseball games seem to take 4 to 6 episodes. (not 12.) It is also true that they spend 3 to 4 episodes off the field as well, like there little get together and there classes. There was a huge character building part at there training camp, where they really did not play baseball at all, but learn about them selves, and how to relax.
Maby you just zoned more into there games? But it evens out the time in-between games and other stuff. (at that the last 2 episodes had nothing to do with Baseball, but more about friendship.)


First game was 4-6, but the second was no less than 10... Started at 13-14, and went basically rest of series, bar the last 2 eps as you said.

And the training camp was more character introduction then development IMO.
2421 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 2/16/10
don't care, i like ookiku, but anything dubbed makes me want to hurl.
funimation is better than 4kids and stuff, but anime get's wrecked anyways by bad dialogue and all.
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 2/17/10

berries-382 wrote:

don't care, i like ookiku, but anything dubbed makes me want to hurl.
funimation is better than 4kids and stuff, but anime get's wrecked anyways by bad dialogue and all.




LOL.. learn Japanese before you any more about it.... Because you want crap, read the subs wen you understand Japanese and your eyes will start to bleed... Why because the subs are jazzed up bullshit. Subs do not tell you what there saying, but say whatever they want. 'They add swearing where there is no swearing, they add remarks that are not there. I rather watch a DUB in ENGLISH than watch most Subs.
'Just because I do understand Japanese. If I had a choice I like to find the raw with no subs but that is harder to find for me who lives in some frozen shit hole of a town wear I have to drive 50 miles to find a free-ken real store. NY SUCKS! The small towns get taxed more than people who live in cities in other states. Talk about being raped.
2421 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 2/17/10

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


berries-382 wrote:

don't care, i like ookiku, but anything dubbed makes me want to hurl.
funimation is better than 4kids and stuff, but anime get's wrecked anyways by bad dialogue and all.




LOL.. learn Japanese before you any more about it.... Because you want crap, read the subs wen you understand Japanese and your eyes will start to bleed... Why because the subs are jazzed up bullshit. Subs do not tell you what there saying, but say whatever they want. 'They add swearing where there is no swearing, they add remarks that are not there. I rather watch a DUB in ENGLISH than watch most Subs.
'Just because I do understand Japanese. If I had a choice I like to find the raw with no subs but that is harder to find for me who lives in some frozen shit hole of a town wear I have to drive 50 miles to find a free-ken real store. NY SUCKS! The small towns get taxed more than people who live in cities in other states. Talk about being raped.



I DO know japanese. And if you claim you do, you should at least know why the subs are subbed the way they are.
You also need to learn english or at least write a bit more clearly, it's very difficult to read what you're trying to say.
I don't know what subs you're reading, but older dvds usually do have messed up spelling, but the gist is still there.
There is a reason they add swearing, is because there are no swear words in japanese, but when they say that word with certain intonations it will express different connotations, which is taken as a swear word. Remarks are added to help it flow better, because things get lost in translation.

Did you know the dub scripts are usually just written by 'experienced' "voice actors" with no training? THEY add in random phrases when there isn't enough to say because the animation shows characters still talking. I've seen really bad ones where they suddenly talk about food and weather in the middle of some intense tournament or running for their lives. ridiculous.

And subjecting yourself that is listening to dubs,.. i guess some masochists have their own individual preferences and tendencies.
well good for you, go ahead and watch the dub, it's not like i'm stopping you or that i'm going to stop you.
You might want to have an ambulance on stand by when you bleed our from your ears tho.
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 2/17/10

berries-382 wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


berries-382 wrote:

don't care, i like ookiku, but anything dubbed makes me want to hurl.
funimation is better than 4kids and stuff, but anime get's wrecked anyways by bad dialogue and all.




LOL.. learn Japanese before you any more about it.... Because you want crap, read the subs wen you understand Japanese and your eyes will start to bleed... Why because the subs are jazzed up bullshit. Subs do not tell you what there saying, but say whatever they want. 'They add swearing where there is no swearing, they add remarks that are not there. I rather watch a DUB in ENGLISH than watch most Subs.
'Just because I do understand Japanese. If I had a choice I like to find the raw with no subs but that is harder to find for me who lives in some frozen shit hole of a town wear I have to drive 50 miles to find a free-ken real store. NY SUCKS! The small towns get taxed more than people who live in cities in other states. Talk about being raped.



I DO know japanese. And if you claim you do, you should at least know why the subs are subbed the way they are.
You also need to learn english or at least write a bit more clearly, it's very difficult to read what you're trying to say.
I don't know what subs you're reading, but older dvds usually do have messed up spelling, but the gist is still there.
There is a reason they add swearing, is because there are no swear words in japanese, but when they say that word with certain intonations it will express different connotations, which is taken as a swear word. Remarks are added to help it flow better, because things get lost in translation.

Did you know the dub scripts are usually just written by 'experienced' "voice actors" with no training? THEY add in random phrases when there isn't enough to say because the animation shows characters still talking. I've seen really bad ones where they suddenly talk about food and weather in the middle of some intense tournament or running for their lives. ridiculous.

And subjecting yourself that is listening to dubs,.. i guess some masochists have their own individual preferences and tendencies.
well good for you, go ahead and watch the dub, it's not like i'm stopping you or that i'm going to stop you.
You might want to have an ambulance on stand by when you bleed our from your ears tho.



I have already made threads about the fact there is no swearing in Japanese. I also explain in the thread why they do not need to jazz up the anime the way they do... Wen some one said YOU.. We do not need to sub it YOU Bastard! You! would have worked in this case.
I see this in subs all the time.. Not swearing but adding in other words that their not saying or is not needed to get the point across. Its a old thread of mine but I can always look it back up for you. http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-414110/what-angers-me-about-some-of-the-anime-fans-out-there/?pg=0 Thread was locked Because they said it was similar to another thread but wen I compared them their nothing alike. In other word mods trying to shut me up because I was upsetting people by pointing out mistakes they make.


88479 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 2/17/10

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:



I have already made threads about the fact there is no swearing in Japanese. I also explain in the thread why they do not need to jazz up the anime the way they do... Wen some one said YOU.. We do not need to sub it YOU Bastard! You! would have worked in this case.
I see this in subs all the time.. Not swearing but adding in other words that their not saying or is not needed to get the point across. Its a old thread of mine but I can always look it back up for you. http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-414110/what-angers-me-about-some-of-the-anime-fans-out-there/?pg=0 Thread was locked Because they said it was similar to another thread but wen I compared them their nothing alike. In other word mods trying to shut me up because I was upsetting people by pointing out mistakes they make.




Actually, in some circumstances the translation to just "YOU" would not work - at least in correct English. Also, subs often also incorporate facial expressions into the subs due to cultural differences, which is often why bastard is added. Sure, its americanized, but its nowhere near as bad as the translations for the majority of dubs...

Either way, this thread is meant to be about Funimation and their choice to not continue this anime...


First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.