First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Controversy FINAL FANTASY XIII!!
53294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/27/10

Mythikus wrote:


demonkillua wrote:


EliteCreation wrote:

It's up to Final Fantasy Versus XIII now...they screw that one up and I'm out


Versus XIII has been my main interest since the beginning. Considering the team of people who are making it I am expecting it to do very well. Ha maybe by the time they are close to finishing it they might consider it as FFXV (I don't see a reason to consider it a part of the XIII series). If Versus XIII fails you may be right to quit FF.


FFXIV is also under development atm it is an mmorpg like FFXI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIV
and yea i was expecting more out of versus
it looks so much better
storyline wise
gameplay wise


Yeah I know. It was a shocker to me last E3 (and they plan to get it out this fall I think...). That's why I said FF Versus XIII should become XV.
53294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/27/10

jdolla351 wrote:


GuardianOMS wrote:

And buying games is not like buying stock. Please do not make such a comparison ever again. It's no offense to you and I'm not trying to be a smartass, I've just dealt with stocks too long to hear such an uncouth comparison. Goddamn microsociety school...


Angry troll is angry, and uneducated.

Here is a definition of the word "uncouth"

1 a. archaic : not known or not familiar to one : seldom experienced : uncommon, rare b. obsolete : mysterious, uncanny
2 a. : strange or clumsy in shape or appearance : outlandish b. : lacking in polish and grace : rugged <uncouth verse> c. : awkward and uncultivated in appearance, manner, or behavior : rude

You're an idiot, and a troll


looking at the definitions I think it is a fine word to use.
51 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Philippines
Offline
Posted 2/27/10
I agree w/ CABarrett. every game that follows a storyline is linear. because you are committed to go to a certain place or finish a quest to advance in a rpg that has a story. the only thing that will make this game "too linear" is:

1. when you level-up, it automatically distributes the stats and/or the skill tree is too straight forward like this
"weak->not so weak->normal->not so strong->fairly strong->strong->very strong->ultra strong etc."
but if its similar to the leveling system of FF12 or it has even more complex leveling system, it will be still interesting.

2.if the equipments is not costumizable or follows the old rpg customization of just weak to strong equipments.
but if you added the element of "attributes" to it and add synthesis of equipments or adding something to make an equipment special or having an equipment gain experience to unlock its special attributes, it will still be something else.

3.if the battle system is too limited like in the previous generations of rpgs in which you can only choose from
"attack" "magic" "items" "skills" "summon" "special attack" sometimes "combination attacks" and "change character".
but if they added some kind of twist to it or they added something else, I think that will do.

i like rpgs that has story. you enjoy both the game and the story at the same time. and for those critics who said its too linear, it maybe so but its not enough to be disliked at all. maybe those critics are hardcore rpg gamers who prefers "Monster Hunter" and/or "Valhalla Knights" w/c lacks story and focused more on gameplay.
48 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Tacoma, Wa
Offline
Posted 2/27/10 , edited 2/27/10
i'm going to get this game when it comes out and make my judgement about it after i play it.
60333 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA, Ohio
Offline
Posted 2/27/10

GuardianOMS wrote:
I speak from experience because I've played the game and I'm arguing with more people because they're trying to put up the argument, "Well it's only the first part of the game," when that is not true at all. While others, like yourself, are buying the game for it's title, and not because it's an actual RPG. Me? I just feel it's smarter to rent something that so obviously not true to it's name then to say, "Oh well, its FFXII. I'm gonna get it anyway." As for reselling it, good luck with that and getting near what you paid for it. One of my friends ended up pawning hers because no shops would take em for a good price and she didnt want to bother sell online and getting such a cheap price. And that's the Jpn market she was dealing with =/

And buying games is not like buying stock. Please do not make such a comparison ever again. It's no offense to you and I'm not trying to be a smartass, I've just dealt with stocks too long to hear such an uncouth comparison. Goddamn microsociety school...

The critics aren't saying the game is bad... they're saying it's linear (which RPGs are NOT supposed to be). There's no arguing that, it's a fact. And saying critics get it wrong or implying that some may be underhanded seems like you're looking for excuses for them. Like there's just no way it could be as they're saying.

Denial much?


I dont care if its an RPG, who it was made by, title, or how linear it is. Where did I ever say I was buying it because its labled an RPG or FFXIII? Why are you trying to argue with me over something so silly as to how i spend my money and on what?

Wow, you've dealt with stocks for so loooong! Im sorry if my metaphor bothered you, I guess i forgot this was a debate forum and that everything written must be taken seriously and litteraly. And to be honest Ive had a fair amount of experience with stocks too, actually bought my first two cars from my profit in short term trading. I really didnt think it was so bad. Some titles you get you inital investment out of them and others your dont.

Either way I feel we have both defended our own personal "opinions" on that matter. Any more debate would be fruitless and a waste of time...
5147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / NJ, USA
Offline
Posted 2/27/10 , edited 2/27/10

If people don't share their personal opinions then what is the point of a discussion? You people that sit here and get so butthurt because someone doesn't agree with you and licks your ass really don't understand. I wasn't telling you how to to live your life. You said something, I said something replying to it. I think that's just about how the internet works. If you want people not to reply to you with their opinions or to just agree with you then just get off forums.

I asked you not to make the comparison because buying games is nothing like buying stocks. Not because I was suggesting you haven't dealt with it yourself, so calm down.


jdolla351 wrote:


GuardianOMS wrote:

And buying games is not like buying stock. Please do not make such a comparison ever again. It's no offense to you and I'm not trying to be a smartass, I've just dealt with stocks too long to hear such an uncouth comparison. Goddamn microsociety school...


Angry troll is angry, and uneducated.

Here is a definition of the word "uncouth"

1 a. archaic : not known or not familiar to one : seldom experienced : uncommon, rare b. obsolete : mysterious, uncanny
2 a. : strange or clumsy in shape or appearance : outlandish b. : lacking in polish and grace : rugged <uncouth verse> c. : awkward and uncultivated in appearance, manner, or behavior : rude

You're an idiot, and a troll


Haha, I'm a troll because I don't agree with him? I don't get angry over people's word's over the internet. Just because I express myself and it doesn't lick the ass of the commenter I'm a troll. Poor little baby =(

Uncouth: lacking refinement or cultivation or taste. You seem to know how to read well. Add this to your vocabulary and won't have to look up definition.

Idiot is an idiot.
60333 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA, Ohio
Offline
Posted 2/28/10 , edited 2/28/10

GuardianOMS wrote:

If people don't share their personal opinions then what is the point of a discussion? You people that sit here and get so butthurt because someone doesn't agree with you and licks your ass really don't understand. I wasn't telling you how to to live your life. You said something, I said something replying to it. I think that's just about how the internet works. If you want people not to reply to you with their opinions or to just agree with you then just get off forums.

I asked you not to make the comparison because buying games is nothing like buying stocks. Not because I was suggesting you haven't dealt with it yourself, so calm down.


I like how you say "you people". Every post Ive read of yours is in judgement in one way or another of someone else yet we are the ones looking for approval? I believe you are opinion pushing, not I. And no I dont want any ass licking, dont believe the magazines guys really dont want it.

I dont care if you agree with me, I saw the thread and posted my opinion. Yet some how im a tool because I want to buy something in which I think I will get personal enjoyment out of? You assumed I purchased the game for its title

While others, like yourself, are buying the game for it's title, and not because it's an actual RPG
show me where I said that. You assumed I cared about making money back from selling it, I could care less, and never stated that i did .


Goddamn microsociety school...


Because I made a metaphor about buying stocks and games you seem to want to judge where i got my education as well.

Your assumptions, and seemingly infinite knowledge on this subject and others, has put you in unecessary arguements over something as trivial as a video game.

This like all of my other posts is in observation of your responses to me and in no way have i inforced my opinion on you. If you feel that is the case I apologize, IMHO you shouldnt be so judgemental and analytical in a biased way . I dont mind being in the wrong, you can ask my wife and she'd say I always am, but since we are all just posting out opinions here there is no wrong or right answer and once again IMHO...
GETTA3 
70880 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 2/28/10
"Are you freaking telling me that a video game used to cost $90, and people would actually buy it?"

Well, people used to do that back in the days of carts. You have to take into account the PS3 being an infamous pain for developers, as well as the Japanese economy being even in worse shape in some cases than the U.S. economy. But, yeah, that declining birth rate was bound to force those high prices down eventually, even if the demand and praise were reasonable for the game.

GOMS: "Final Fantasy was supposed to be just that, the FINAL Fantasy."

Yeah, that's been a recurring joke for a while now. Personally, I stopped caring with FFX, though Kingdom Hearts was the final blow for me. If I want to watch Disney movies, I'll buy or rent them, thank you.

demon: "They do have a limited edition of the game in Japan that could be the price range of the LE version."

If I recall, that sucker was $130. But you should've seen how much they charged for that effing OVA tie-in to Advent Children.

53294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/28/10 , edited 2/28/10

GETTA3 wrote:

demon: "They do have a limited edition of the game in Japan that could be the price range of the LE version."

If I recall, that sucker was $130. But you should've seen how much they charged for that effing OVA tie-in to Advent Children.



The OVA tie-in? You mean the Denzel one? I have it on blu-ray, but it was just a bonus feature to the Advent Children Complete Movie. I got the movie for about $25 and new, so I don't think I was paying extra for the OVA at all....
16 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 2/28/10 , edited 2/28/10
Theres a guy who teaches english in japan who does reviews on over-hyped and popular games when they release in japan before the western audience gets to waste their money on crap or so that we know the games don't suck.

He did a pretty decent job at explaining why FFXIII sucks and why it's not worth anyones money.

BE warned, he cusses ALOT, it is just his character, he is actually really entertaining and smart (he also does japanese lessons on youtube where he's drunk and they work pretty well, I learned alot of what I can speak from his videos)

Heres the video if anyone's interested.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bumnumba1#p/u/8/x9TsjjG9X2s

Also theres no real spoilers, a tiny bit of the plot is explained but no twists or anything important, just what you would read in an overview of the manual or something.


In short though, linear as hell, nothing in the game is unique, theres 1 weapon and 2 accessory slots, no exploration or any missable items, no quests besides "follow the main plot tracks" more cutscenes than a MGS game, Square apparently tried to pass off shiny graphics as a geat RPG experience, and lastly, and the best part of the review since he never mentions it, but shows you every battle...

To win FFXIII set one person to heal and PRESS X (circle in asian markets)

thats right, XIII makes kingdom hearts look like a masterpiece of strategic combat.

After the whole Advent children crap I gave up on square, I will just play through 4,5,6, and 9 when I get an itch for FF and chrono cross if i want to spend some time on a good rpg, If by some miracle we get a decent FF again I won't hold my breath.
60333 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA, Ohio
Offline
Posted 2/28/10 , edited 2/28/10

Futurepants wrote:

Theres a guy who teaches english in japan who does reviews on over-hyped and popular games when they release in japan before the western audience gets to waste their money on crap or so that we know the games don't suck.

He did a pretty decent job at explaining why FFXIII sucks and why it's not worth anyones money.

BE warned, he cusses ALOT, it is just his character, he is actually really entertaining and smart (he also does japanese lessons on youtube where he's drunk and they work pretty well, I learned alot of what I can speak from his videos)

Heres the video if anyone's interested.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bumnumba1#p/u/8/x9TsjjG9X2s

Also theres no real spoilers, a tiny bit of the plot is explained but no twists or anything important, just what you would read in an overview of the manual or something.


In short though, linear as hell, nothing in the game is unique, theres 1 weapon and 2 accessory slots, no exploration or any missable items, no quests besides "follow the main plot tracks" more cutscenes than a MGS game, Square apparently tried to pass off shiny graphics as a geat RPG experience, and lastly, and the best part of the review since he never mentions it, but shows you every battle...

To win FFXIII set one person to heal and PRESS X (circle in asian markets)

thats right, XIII makes kingdom hearts look like a masterpiece of strategic combat.

After the whole Advent children crap I gave up on square, I will just play through 4,5,6, and 9 when I get an itch for FF and chrono cross if i want to spend some time on a good rpg, If by some miracle we get a decent FF again I won't hold my breath.


Lol his review made me laugh, and cry. Thx for posting the link tho' glad to see an honest review. I would love to get a FF thats a mix of 8 and 9 because I think they were better executed then the last few FF titles...
8750 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / In your backyard :D
Offline
Posted 2/28/10

demonkillua wrote:


Mythikus wrote:


demonkillua wrote:


EliteCreation wrote:

It's up to Final Fantasy Versus XIII now...they screw that one up and I'm out


Versus XIII has been my main interest since the beginning. Considering the team of people who are making it I am expecting it to do very well. Ha maybe by the time they are close to finishing it they might consider it as FFXV (I don't see a reason to consider it a part of the XIII series). If Versus XIII fails you may be right to quit FF.


FFXIV is also under development atm it is an mmorpg like FFXI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIV
and yea i was expecting more out of versus
it looks so much better
storyline wise
gameplay wise


Yeah I know. It was a shocker to me last E3 (and they plan to get it out this fall I think...). That's why I said FF Versus XIII should become XV.


I know you do
just explaining the skip for ppl who dunno
GETTA3 
70880 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 2/28/10
demon: It was about $400 in Japan, 'cus of a toy, er, "bust" of that dog from FF VII.
53 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 3/1/10
lets get this clear. the reason why there is such a drop in price is cause the copies were mostly sold on xbox rather than the ps3, i myself from the UK will be buying this game on the 9th march for the ps3 console although i do own an xbox. however if my xbox was a newer model, since the one i own is the very first aracde edition ever released and the graphic card is going, i would of bought it for the xbox. anyway the same is going to happen with metal gear solid when the next one comes out for both the xbox and ps3. the bottom line is that cause not enough copies were sold on the ps3, the price dropped, which doesn't help those who own an xbox. ps3 is a flop for a household gaming console an I assure you of it. right now sony have recieved a larger, actually a very large number of complaints for the fact their network does not work and people cannot play online. you wont hear anything like that for the xbox or microsoft
Revolver Dogelot
72988 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / somewhere that is...
Offline
Posted 3/1/10
I will just weigh in here with some nice cold facts.

Famitsu is the top gaming magazine in Japan. Famitsu is PAID by Square Enix to review their games, they won't even deny it if you ask. Famitsu in 12 incarnations of FF has never given anything less than a perfect score, thats right, 12 FF's and every one of them got the highest possible score Famitsu can give.

Famitsu gave FF13 a 9 out of 10.

Nuff said.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.