First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Is the USA still the number 1 super power on the Earth?
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 7/27/10 , edited 7/27/10

Allhailodin wrote:

That is true, our military budget is much larger. But is that really such a problem ? Its being used for your defense.


How is having military bases stationed all around the world to protect the interests of multinational corporations defending me? How is waging two irresponsible and unnecessary wars protecting me? If China can defend their population with $29 billion, why do we need $419 billion?

Most importantly, why do certain people have to suffer for generations to come just to protect me, even though my own safety was never in any real danger, at least not any danger that the U.S military is responsible for stopping: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/toxic-legacy-of-us-assault-on-fallujah-worse-than-hiroshima-2034065.html

It's safe to say that not even half of that $419 billion is being spent to defend our country, we'd be better off cutting it in half and putting that money towards something that will actually help U.S citizens. But of course that won't happen because no one makes a profit off of helping others.
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 7/27/10 , edited 7/28/10
I looked it up if your interested

DOD Budget 2010

Base defense programs - 513 billion
Troop & family support & compensation - 177.5 Billion
Military health care - 47 billion
Military pay up 2.9 percent from whatever it was already at
Ground force increase, +2.3 billion from whatever its at now
Military housing for soldiers & their families - 11 billion
Wounded solider recovery programs - 3.3 billion + 0.4 billion for medial research
+ 50 Un manned drones - 2 billion
More helicopters - 500 million // the smallest number ive seen so far
Global partnerships - 600 million
+30 F-35's - 7 billion

Theres a lot of stuff I didn't include cause I couldn't find a $$$ amount for it. But thats probably good enough for a ballpark estimate

So 513 billion is being spent on our defense cuddlebuns(which is more than 1/2 of the 419 billion like you said). There you have it. And yes terrorist are an serious threat. We can't afford to ignore them like you stupid liberals want to. If we did that, we've already lost. They won't go away if you ignore them, the problem will only get worse if we ignore them.
65911 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / F / Atlanta GA
Online
Posted 7/28/10
Trying to make any point to Cuddlebuns It like talking to a wall, when it comes down to the military. We have new chopper on the the way they are very quite compared to the older on and they far less of a heat signature than the ones we have now. He reminds me of the people before WW1 and WW2 were they think it is OK to cut up the military budget. We paid a price for that kind of thinking but I am not sure what side he is on to begin with. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Unlike him I care for our people and now is not the time to be playing with the budget with the military We have troop in the field and pulling away resources is so immature I really do not try to reason with a unreasonable person.--------------------------Sorry for the lines but some where I have a software glitz-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- During the cold war we had three time the amount of people in the field we had the potential to put three up to six full armies as of now one the maybe two at tops. An army contains 600,000 people to over a million.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------For a communist country to put all it card on the table i do not think so troop pay is another thing as a E-5 was a tad over 800 a month a E-1 gets far more now i bet a there soldier get maybe fifty a month if that. We know the have ballistic missiles and how far there technology has and they can get allot of the same electronics we have. Like normal Cuddlebuns will not understand anything until he live on his on his own and has to provide for himself and family god that a nasty thought.--------------------------------------------------------------------Tyring to get through to somebody that cant see past history and can not understand how it replays it over and over they will never learn play coat and dagger games with the communist chines is going on right now.
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 7/28/10
'Yes with all Americas advancements in their military and the fact America spend more money for their military than the rest of the world put together, does not equal to a hill of bean wen you look at the incompetents that the American military force happens to be.'

We should not Ignore the actions of the Muslim people, but are occupation and aid/training we are giving them is only hurting us, not aiding us with this problem. We might just be better off fire bombing all their cities to the ground, than dropping a bombs on there temples than leave, let the few survivors rebuild.

It might sound like an evil thing to do but wen you look at the fact that its a nation based on lies and hate toward all that is not fallowing their dark religious Empire, the only thing we can do is level it to the ground.. and leave.

Any aid we give will only aid them in using it against the rest of the world.

Some times the best thing to do is to remove it.
I know I do not ask a doctor to help aid my cancer cells. No I want the cancer wiped out before it kills me.

1308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Watching everything
Offline
Posted 7/28/10

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

'Yes with all Americas advancements in their military and the fact America spend more money for their military than the rest of the world put together, does not equal to a hill of bean wen you look at the incompetents that the American military force happens to be.'

We should not Ignore the actions of the Muslim people, but are occupation and aid/training we are giving them is only hurting us, not aiding us with this problem. We might just be better off fire bombing all their cities to the ground, than dropping a bombs on there temples than leave, let the few survivors rebuild.

It might sound like an evil thing to do but wen you look at the fact that its a nation based on lies and hate toward all that is not fallowing their dark religious Empire, the only thing we can do is level it to the ground.. and leave.

Any aid we give will only aid them in using it against the rest of the world.

Some times the best thing to do is to remove it.
I know I do not ask a doctor to help aid my cancer cells. No I want the cancer wiped out before it kills me.



Yeah because the way to solve everything is with violence and bombs. (Sarcasm) That doesn't work in real life in the long run. You might win/stop several wars, but you'll just start more. And eventually you'll run into another super power in the world and then intercontinental war breaks out.
Posted 7/28/10 , edited 7/28/10

zombehs wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

'Yes with all Americas advancements in their military and the fact America spend more money for their military than the rest of the world put together, does not equal to a hill of bean wen you look at the incompetents that the American military force happens to be.'

We should not Ignore the actions of the Muslim people, but are occupation and aid/training we are giving them is only hurting us, not aiding us with this problem. We might just be better off fire bombing all their cities to the ground, than dropping a bombs on there temples than leave, let the few survivors rebuild.

It might sound like an evil thing to do but wen you look at the fact that its a nation based on lies and hate toward all that is not fallowing their dark religious Empire, the only thing we can do is level it to the ground.. and leave.

Any aid we give will only aid them in using it against the rest of the world.

Some times the best thing to do is to remove it.
I know I do not ask a doctor to help aid my cancer cells. No I want the cancer wiped out before it kills me.



Yeah because the way to solve everything is with violence and bombs. (Sarcasm) That doesn't work in real life in the long run. You might win/stop several wars, but you'll just start more. And eventually you'll run into another super power in the world and then intercontinental war breaks out.
Agree, there's a reason why Eisenhower documented the holocaust. So that the remaining humanity must not forget the horror stemmed from unjustified hatred, in the form of prejudice and propaganda against members of the same specie. Thereby America will loose all my respect as a global leader of the secular societies, if it decided to ethnic genocide the Muslim community. When we can withhold our actions against a higher moral compass of "the end doesn't justify the means", even though some of us religiously organized ourselves not to. Furthermore, those who born into the Muslim community didn't had a choice with their Islamic religion upbringing. So the real "cancer" isn't the people themselves, but the religious ideology known as the Islamic faith.
Posted 7/28/10
Is the US still the absolute superpower? Hm. Possibly, but I think we're on our way out of that description.

Lookg at it historically, you can see the pattern in great civilizations and what can be classified as "superpowers." Rome, Great Britain, Russia, etc. They hit their peak and then crumble. Unfortunately, we have already hit our peak...we hit it probably 20 years ago. I'm not saying that we're not able to stop the pattern of self-destruction, but in my opinion the Bush era from 2000-2008 pretty much screwed us over. Obama has a lot on his plate already and I'd be suprised if he was able to turn the tide just a little. I think we're on our way out.

So who's the next superpower? I would be inclined to say it would be coming out of the Middle East somewhere, but things are so mixed up over there that any superpower that manages to form would just invite more chaos. My guess would be China since they're out from under the thumb of Democracy and quite frankly they have the firepower and the manpower that, if they wanted, they would be able to claim themselves the next world power. I don't see it coming from Europe because they have too many issues of their own to deal with.

Really it's anyone's guess. Have we spread ourselves so thin that we can only expect to topple? Most likely yes.
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 7/28/10 , edited 7/28/10

tarakelly wrote:

Trying to make any point to Cuddlebuns It like talking to a wall, when it comes down to the military. We have new chopper on the the way they are very quite compared to the older on and they far less of a heat signature than the ones we have now. He reminds me of the people before WW1 and WW2 were they think it is OK to cut up the military budget. We paid a price for that kind of thinking but I am not sure what side he is on to begin with. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Unlike him I care for our people and now is not the time to be playing with the budget with the military We have troop in the field and pulling away resources is so immature I really do not try to reason with a unreasonable person.--------------------------Sorry for the lines but some where I have a software glitz-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- During the cold war we had three time the amount of people in the field we had the potential to put three up to six full armies as of now one the maybe two at tops. An army contains 600,000 people to over a million.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------For a communist country to put all it card on the table i do not think so troop pay is another thing as a E-5 was a tad over 800 a month a E-1 gets far more now i bet a there soldier get maybe fifty a month if that. We know the have ballistic missiles and how far there technology has and they can get allot of the same electronics we have. Like normal Cuddlebuns will not understand anything until he live on his on his own and has to provide for himself and family god that a nasty thought.--------------------------------------------------------------------Tyring to get through to somebody that cant see past history and can not understand how it replays it over and over they will never learn play coat and dagger games with the communist chines is going on right now.


If you give me facts and numbers that prove beyond all doubt that our entire military budget is necessary in order to protect our country, and show me any evidence that the world would be overtaken by terrorists if we cut it down even a tiny bit, then I would support all of the spending that we are doing. Until then, I will continue to base my opinion on the numbers and facts that demonstrate that we spend way too much on our military and these wars are unnecessary. I would even be willing to listen to you and change my opinion if you countered my points with reasonable evidence, but all you've said to me so far is "you're too young to understand, the communists/terrorists are taking over!" without giving any evidence to back up those claims.

If all you do is toss idealogical nonsense at me and dismiss everything I say just because of my age, which is all you have been doing, then yes talking to me will be like talking to a brick wall.



Allhailodin wrote:

I looked it up if your interested

DOD Budget 2010

Base defense programs - 513 billion
Troop & family support & compensation - 177.5 Billion
Military health care - 47 billion
Military pay up 2.9 percent from whatever it was already at
Ground force increase, +2.3 billion from whatever its at now
Military housing for soldiers & their families - 11 billion
Wounded solider recovery programs - 3.3 billion + 0.4 billion for medial research
+ 50 Un manned drones - 2 billion
More helicopters - 500 million // the smallest number ive seen so far
Global partnerships - 600 million
+30 F-35's - 7 billion

Theres a lot of stuff I didn't include cause I couldn't find a $$$ amount for it. But thats probably good enough for a ballpark estimate

So 513 billion is being spent on our defense cuddlebuns(which is more than 1/2 of the 419 billion like you said). There you have it. And yes terrorist are an serious threat. We can't afford to ignore them like you stupid liberals want to. If we did that, we've already lost. They won't go away if you ignore them, the problem will only get worse if we ignore them.


That is what I like to see, numbers and facts will sway my opinion if they disprove my current perception of the situation. I got all of my info from Wikipedia, so if the $419 billion figure is wrong then it's on them and I was wrong for relying on them. A link to wherever you got those numbers from would be nice, and hopefully it is a credible source.

I have said repeatedly that I do not support letting terrorists run free, but you keep looking at what I say through your narrow ideological view point instead of objectively reading and paying attention to what I write, and since what I write doesn't perfectly match what you believe you simply label me as a stupid liberal. So please, if you're going to discuss with me, take off your conservative hat for a while and put on your logic and reason cap.

Yes we do need to stop terrorists, neither I nor any liberal will disagree with that, but there aren't any in Iraq and there's only 50-100 Al-Qaeda guys in Afghanistan, but we know that there are more of them in other countries like Pakistan. If these wars were actually stopping terrorists then I would support them, but all the evidence I've seen has shown that they are not.

By the way, assuming your numbers are correct, the 9.1 billion that's being spent on aircraft is going towards defense contractors, who most likely would not be making that money if we weren't in this war. Also, depending on who distributes the military healthcare and compensation, that money could also be going towards private industries who, again, wouldn't be making that much money if we weren't in these wars. But for the sake of fairness I won't assume that those are being handled by private industries until I actually see who is distributing those services.


DomFortress wrote:
Furthermore, those who born into the Muslim community didn't had a choice with their Islamic religion upbringing. So the real "cancer" isn't the people themselves, but the religious ideology known as the Islamic faith.


Actually it is the fault of people and not the religion itself. If Islam were the problem then all Muslims would be terribly violent people, which is obviously not true. It is the fault of the extremist Muslims who hold all of the authority and all of the people who choose to follow them, since they always have the choice to either be more peaceful Muslims or not be Muslim at all. You may say that they are brainwashed and don't have a choice, but there are tons of people in the world who were brainwashed as children and chose to follow a different path when they got older, myself included. It's not that they don't have a choice, they are just unwilling to make the choice, which is their own fault and the fault of the people who brainwashed them, not Islam itself.
65911 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / F / Atlanta GA
Online
Posted 7/28/10
I have tied to do that then you blow it off. By the way the US government has been loaned over 4 trillion dollars that's a billion time a billion and all you can do is complain about the military budget. I have come up with numbers from the Federal accounting office the person Allhailodin showed the number from the DOD what do you need to prove that you have an ax to grind. Look at history we cut back on the military we have to play catch up but now are manufacturing base has been severely compromised over the last 30 years.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ if we do not stay ahead we cant even cachet up in a major war. Allot of coast are long term contract to build jets and there hug holes left not showing where the money gone allot of it is pork spending. Over 60 % of are budget goes to social program which is disgusting to me. Do want to see are soldiers killed because we did not do enough to protect them. i have had this conversation with you several times why do not say your against the war it very simple to say that. Do you even live in America if you do not it really is not your problem is it. If your a Muslim then lying and miss leading people is a normal thing to do to non Muslims.---------------------Here one other thing we have barrow over 4 trillion dollars in the last two year are military budget is .2% percent of that. it would take a Million billion to get up to .4%.
Posted 7/28/10

Nobue-oneechan wrote:

Is the US still the absolute superpower? Hm. Possibly, but I think we're on our way out of that description.

Lookg at it historically, you can see the pattern in great civilizations and what can be classified as "superpowers." Rome, Great Britain, Russia, etc. They hit their peak and then crumble. Unfortunately, we have already hit our peak...we hit it probably 20 years ago. I'm not saying that we're not able to stop the pattern of self-destruction, but in my opinion the Bush era from 2000-2008 pretty much screwed us over. Obama has a lot on his plate already and I'd be suprised if he was able to turn the tide just a little. I think we're on our way out.

So who's the next superpower? I would be inclined to say it would be coming out of the Middle East somewhere, but things are so mixed up over there that any superpower that manages to form would just invite more chaos. My guess would be China since they're out from under the thumb of Democracy and quite frankly they have the firepower and the manpower that, if they wanted, they would be able to claim themselves the next world power. I don't see it coming from Europe because they have too many issues of their own to deal with.

Really it's anyone's guess. Have we spread ourselves so thin that we can only expect to topple? Most likely yes.
All that power and wealth don't mean a thing, when their livelihood and sustainability is rather fucked. But then again the Chinese government doesn't really care about the wellbeing of its people or the military, when its smoking high on the Chinese tradition propaganda machine.


Cuddlebuns wrote:


DomFortress wrote:
Furthermore, those who born into the Muslim community didn't had a choice with their Islamic religion upbringing. So the real "cancer" isn't the people themselves, but the religious ideology known as the Islamic faith.


Actually it is the fault of people and not the religion itself. If Islam were the problem then all Muslims would be terribly violent people, which is obviously not true. It is the fault of the extremist Muslims who hold all of the authority and all of the people who choose to follow them, since they always have the choice to either be more peaceful Muslims or not be Muslim at all. You may say that they are brainwashed and don't have a choice, but there are tons of people in the world who were brainwashed as children and chose to follow a different path when they got older, myself included. It's not that they don't have a choice, they are just unwilling to make the choice, which is their own fault and the fault of the people who brainwashed them, not Islam itself.
Not according to how the Islamic faith is organized as the Muslim state legislation, thereby any attempt at changing the status-quote will be deem as rebelling against the social norms.

That's the part I don't like about Islam, its authoritarian and totalitarian status within the Muslim states.
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 7/28/10 , edited 7/28/10

tarakelly wrote:

I have tied to do that then you blow it off. By the way the US government has been loaned over 4 trillion dollars that's a billion time a billion and all you can do is complain about the military budget. I have come up with numbers from the Federal accounting office the person Allhailodin showed the number from the DOD what do you need to prove that you have an ax to grind. Look at history we cut back on the military we have to play catch up but now are manufacturing base has been severely compromised over the last 30 years.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ if we do not stay ahead we cant even cachet up in a major war. Allot of coast are long term contract to build jets and there hug holes left not showing where the money gone allot of it is pork spending. Over 60 % of are budget goes to social program which is disgusting to me. Do want to see are soldiers killed because we did not do enough to protect them. i have had this conversation with you several times why do not say your against the war it very simple to say that. Do you even live in America if you do not it really is not your problem is it. If your a Muslim then lying and miss leading people is a normal thing to do to non Muslims.---------------------Here one other thing we have barrow over 4 trillion dollars in the last two year are military budget is .2% percent of that. it would take a Million billion to get up to .4%.


You're not providing any sort of links or sources to prove that any of the numbers you're tossing at me are true, which is why I blow them off. It's not my responsibility to find the evidence for the claim you're trying to prove, so if you want to make a point and give me numbers then show me a credible source.

For example, you keep saying our military is small and we need to build it more without showing any evidence that any other military in the world is larger or more threatening than ours. Yet I've shown that we spend way more on our military than any other country, and of course more military spending=bigger and better military. A lot of that military spending is going towards supporting all of the bases and troops we have scattered around the world for no real reason: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_deployments http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_military_bases If you can show me that having bases and troops stationed in all of those countries is vital to the safety of our country, then I'll change my mind and agree with you. But, like I said earlier, if you can't do that then I'll just keep being a brick wall.

Of course most of our budget is spent on social programs because the entire point of a government is to help it's citizens, all tax money should benefit citizens because it is the citizen's money. If that sickens you then that must mean you want all of our tax money to go to private industries (which is already sort of happening), which makes absolutely no sense, in fact it's a very socialist thing to do.

Obviously I don't want to see soldiers killed, and a good way to avoid killing soldiers is to not go to war. So if you really care about our soldiers then you would want to end these irresponsible wars that we are currently in. I dislike war but I will support any war that is necessary to protect the safety of our country, and I've demonstrated several times that the wars we are currently in are not important to our safety.

I know that we've borrowed trillions of dollars and that it is a huge part of the deficit. No one is disagreeing with that so I don't get why you toss it in there. The one thing I do agree with you about is that we are not manufacturing enough, our economy is too dependent on big banks who recklessly gamble with the money of their depositors and taxpayers, but that's a different story.

Yes I am American and I live in America, and it is extremely ignorant of you to think I am a Muslim and then make a generalization about Muslims like that. Why do you expect me or anyone else to listen to anything you say when you make totally unfair and irrational assumptions like that?


DomFortress wrote:

Not according to how the Islamic faith is organized as the Muslim state legislation, thereby any attempt at changing the status-quote will be deem as rebelling against the social norms.

That's the part I don't like about Islam, its authoritarian and totalitarian status within the Muslim states.


Does the Qur'an say "base your entire government on the teachings of Islam and destroy all non-Muslims," or do certain Muslim people say that? If it's in the Qur'an then it is the fault of Islam, if it's not then it's the fault of certain Muslims. Even if the Qur'an does say that, there are obviously Muslims in the world who don't follow it and are respectful to people of other religions, so it's not fair to say all Muslims are bad.
Posted 7/28/10

Cuddlebuns wrote:


DomFortress wrote:

Not according to how the Islamic faith is organized as the Muslim state legislation, thereby any attempt at changing the status-quote will be deem as rebelling against the social norms.

That's the part I don't like about Islam, its authoritarian and totalitarian status within the Muslim states.


Does the Qur'an say "base your entire government on the teachings of Islam and destroy all non-Muslims," or do certain Muslim people say that? If it's in the Qur'an then it is the fault of Islam, if it's not then it's the fault of certain Muslims. Even if the Qur'an does say that, there are obviously Muslims in the world who don't follow it and are respectful to people of other religions, so it's not fair to say all Muslims are bad.
When the last and thereby first command is to lie and deceive the none-Muslims, I won't trust even the secular Muslims at face value.
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 7/28/10

Cuddlebuns wrote:

That is what I like to see, numbers and facts will sway my opinion if they disprove my current perception of the situation. I got all of my info from Wikipedia, so if the $419 billion figure is wrong then it's on them and I was wrong for relying on them. A link to wherever you got those numbers from would be nice, and hopefully it is a credible source.


http://www.defense.gov/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=12652

Download the pdf thingy attached to the link 'overview'.

I dunno exactly what 'Base Defense' is as I don't have a list of all the 'base defense' projects and shit, but its probably at home defense projects, and R&D projects. Probably majority R&D.


I have said repeatedly that I do not support letting terrorists run free, but you keep looking at what I say through your narrow ideological view point instead of objectively reading and paying attention to what I write, and since what I write doesn't perfectly match what you believe you simply label me as a stupid liberal. So please, if you're going to discuss with me, take off your conservative hat for a while and put on your logic and reason cap.

Yes we do need to stop terrorists, neither I nor any liberal will disagree with that, but there aren't any in Iraq and there's only 50-100 Al-Qaeda guys in Afghanistan, but we know that there are more of them in other countries like Pakistan. If these wars were actually stopping terrorists then I would support them, but all the evidence I've seen has shown that they are not.


I disagree, Liberals people are political correctiziing them calling them 'man made disasters' and other shit, instead of acknowledging them for what they are, terrorists, IMO that is the same as ignoring them. Liberals refuse to acknowledge them as terrorists for the sake of political correctness or for whatever other reason, Hell if I know, I don't understand the mindset of a liberal.

And

I don't look at it as multiple wars.

I look at it as a single war in multiple geographical locations against a single common enemy. Terrorists. And I support that.

As for the extra numbers of civilian deaths, I kan explain that one to you.

Do you know one of the reasons soldiers are supposed to wear uniforms ? Its not just for looks and personell defense you know, its so during wartime you kan distinguish soldiers from civilians, as generally civilians aren't dressed up like soldiers. That was always an unspoken rule for a long ass time, since before WW1. Now the terrorists aren't dressing up in uniforms, they deliberately dress up like civilians with the intent of making it so you (the soliders) kannot distinguish them from civilians, as that greatly works to their advantage as you kannot tell who is and who is not the enemy until they are either shooting at you or are like 30 feet away attempting to self destruct and take you with them.

So an increased number of civilian casualties are to be expected given those circumstances. There have always been a certain number of civilian deaths, in every way man has ever fought since the beginning of modern society(for the last 10,000 years). And hell probaby before that.


By the way, assuming your numbers are correct, the 9.1 billion that's being spent on aircraft is going towards defense contractors, who most likely would not be making that money if we weren't in this war. Also, depending on who distributes the military healthcare and compensation, that money could also be going towards private industries who, again, wouldn't be making that much money if we weren't in these wars. But for the sake of fairness I won't assume that those are being handled by private industries until I actually see who is distributing those services.


I disagree here as well. The military is always spending money on new aircraft / tanks / war vehicles / machines whether we are in a war or not. If their not spending money making new production units, their spending money designing new ones and building prototype units, or engineering upgrades and revisions to existing models to make them more efficient at killing stuff.

And I have no idea who does Military Health care. But the military does health care whether we are in a war or not. Or at least a competent one would. Remember the military has to complete against the private sector for employees, if they don't make it comparable to the benefits of a private sector job, nobody will enlist. Or a lot less people will. I personally have had 3 friends sign up to the military specifically for its benefits. Hell the military has their own markets where you can buy food and shit at the price it cost the government to buy it, not marked up for profit at all. And the government buys everything in bulk.

And whats wrong with private industry making money, isn't that the entire point of private industry ? To sell goods / services for a profit ? You make it sound that that's something that should be a criminal offense.

You also make it sound like its a damn crime for the government to use private industry. That's how it comes off to me anyway.
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 7/28/10 , edited 7/28/10

Allhailodin wrote:

http://www.defense.gov/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=12652

Download the pdf thingy attached to the link 'overview'.

I dunno exactly what 'Base Defense' is as I don't have a list of all the 'base defense' projects and shit, but its probably at home defense projects, and R&D projects. Probably majority R&D.


I would assume that money for base defense goes towards all of the military bases that we have scattered around the world for no reason, or at least not reasons that are related to national security:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_deployments
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_military_bases

Our military budget is so huge because of all those bases and deployed troops, and I still haven't found a reason why we absolutely have to have every single one of those bases in order to ensure our safety.



I disagree, Liberals people are political correctiziing them calling them 'man made disasters' and other shit, instead of acknowledging them for what they are, terrorists, IMO that is the same as ignoring them. Liberals refuse to acknowledge them as terrorists for the sake of political correctness or for whatever other reason, Hell if I know, I don't understand the mindset of a liberal.


I've never heard any liberal say things like that, and I regularly watch a "liberal" talk show and read a few "liberal" blogs. If that is what the majority of liberals believe (which I'm inclined to not believe since it's coming from someone who has such a negative view of them), then I don't agree with them, but I don't care what liberals think because I don't consider myself to be one.

I put "liberal" in quotations because even though those things aren't liberal by definition, they'd still be labelled liberal simply because they lean towards the left.


I don't look at it as multiple wars.

I look at it as a single war in multiple geographical locations against a single common enemy. Terrorists. And I support that.


I've shown you before that there are no terrorists that we know of in Iraq and very few in Afghanistan. I support getting rid of terrorists too, but we are fighting in the wrong locations, which I do not support at all. It's like if we attacked Germany in an attempt to take out Russia back during the Cold War, we're fighting the wrong guys in the wrong place.



Do you know one of the reasons soldiers are supposed to wear uniforms ? Its not just for looks and personell defense you know, its so during wartime you kan distinguish soldiers from civilians, as generally civilians aren't dressed up like soldiers. That was always an unspoken rule for a long ass time, since before WW1. Now the terrorists aren't dressing up in uniforms, they deliberately dress up like civilians with the intent of making it so you (the soliders) kannot distinguish them from civilians, as that greatly works to their advantage as you kannot tell who is and who is not the enemy until they are either shooting at you or are like 30 feet away attempting to self destruct and take you with them.

So an increased number of civilian casualties are to be expected given those circumstances. There have always been a certain number of civilian deaths, in every way man has ever fought since the beginning of modern society(for the last 10,000 years). And hell probaby before that.


Yes I know all of that, and I would feel that it was somewhat justified if we were actually getting rid of terrorists. But, as I've said time and time again, we found out a long time ago that Bush lied about Al-Qaeda's connections to Iraq, and there are only 50-100 guys in Afghanistan. So all of those civilians died because of reckless lies and irresponsible military decisions, and there is no justification for that.



I disagree here as well. The military is always spending money on new aircraft / tanks / war vehicles / machines whether we are in a war or not. If their not spending money making new production units, their spending money designing new ones and building prototype units, or engineering upgrades and revisions to existing models to make them more efficient at killing stuff.


That is true, but obviously we wouldn't be spending as much if we weren't in a war.


And I have no idea who does Military Health care. But the military does health care whether we are in a war or not. Or at least a competent one would. Remember the military has to complete against the private sector for employees, if they don't make it comparable to the benefits of a private sector job, nobody will enlist. Or a lot less people will. I personally have had 3 friends sign up to the military specifically for its benefits. Hell the military has their own markets where you can buy food and shit at the price it cost the government to buy it, not marked up for profit at all. And the government buys everything in bulk.


Also true, but, again, we wouldn't be spending as much if there weren't thousands of soldiers being injured in a war.


And whats wrong with private industry making money, isn't that the entire point of private industry ? To sell goods / services for a profit ? You make it sound that that's something that should be a criminal offense.

You also make it sound like its a damn crime for the government to use private industry. That's how it comes off to me anyway.


Nothing is wrong with that, I just keep bringing it up in order to point out that we're in these wars mainly because people are profiting off of it, and to point out that government spending does benefit private industry and helps the economy. I just think it should be spent on an industry that doesn't involve killing a bunch of soldiers and innocent people for no reason.

10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 7/28/10

Cuddlebuns wrote:

I would assume that money for base defense goes towards all of the military bases that we have scattered around the world for no reason, or at least not reasons that are related to national security:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_deployments
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_military_bases

Our military budget is so huge because of all those bases and deployed troops, and I still haven't found a reason why we absolutely have to have every single one of those bases in order to ensure our safety.


Those bases are long paid for. The only cost of those bases is utilities, food, internet i guess since apparently military bass have that too now. and soldier pay. No fucking way that racks up 500 billion dollars.

And actually that monie is split up between the divisions of the military, the army being the largest gets at least half of it automatically, everyone else gets the rest.

Do you have any idea how many research project the military does ? > Thousands, and these research projects are fucking expensive cause of all the costs, materials, scientist pay, servers to hold research data, client terminals to access the research data, pay for people to compile research data into documents, ect. Research && Development of shit is a huge portion of the military budget. Vastly expensive.



I've never heard any liberal say things like that, and I regularly watch a "liberal" talk show and read a few "liberal" blogs. If that is what the majority of liberals believe (which I'm inclined to not believe since it's coming from someone who has such a negative view of them), then I don't agree with them, but I don't care what liberals think because I don't consider myself to be one.


Oh yeah, I saw a video of this lady cant remember her name kall them 'Man Made Disasters'

Maybe I wouldn't have such a - view of liberals if all their policies didn't involve increasing taxes on everyone to ungodly levels and taking away all our freedoms, and how they also constantly undermine parental rights, like the school that took the pregnant 14 year old girl to get an abortion and didn't even tell her parents. Her parents had no say in it what so ever, and how they also want to give condoms to middle school children, and again the parents have no say, the school saying "the only thing we don't like with this policy is the children have to ask for them". also how they demonize, threaten with violence, and attempt to censor and silence anyone who doesn't agree with them. Oh right, and how they attempt to force their views onto everyone, like the school who wants to expel a chick cause she is Christain isn't kool with gay people. The school says "Change your belifs on homosexuality or we expel you".

Hell 2 Tea party people got beat the fuck up by a group of liberals, and a vast number of them have gotten threats of violence and death. Hell one of them got a message on her answering machine "You better watch your children or else something might happen to them".

And remember the liberals who kept saying "Kill bush, Kill bush", and "Bush is a disease, the cure is death".

That's why I have such a - view of them.


I've shown you before that there are no terrorists that we know of in Iraq and very few in Afghanistan. I support getting rid of terrorists too, but we are fighting in the wrong locations, which I do not support at all. It's like if we attacked Germany in an attempt to take out Russia back during the Cold War, we're fighting the wrong guys in the wrong place.


It wouldn't be so hard to translocate those soldiers to pakistan or whever, all those places are in the same general location.


Yes I know all of that, and I would feel that it was somewhat justified if we were actually getting rid of terrorists. But, as I've said time and time again, we found out a long time ago that Bush lied about Al-Qaeda's connections to Iraq, and there are only 50-100 guys in Afghanistan. So all of those civilians died because of reckless lies and irresponsible military decisions, and there is no justification for that.


You can't blame Bush anymore, sorry but he is no longer president, Obama is, it was Obama's decision to send more troops not Bush's. Its Obama's fault those innocent citizens died as he was the one who ordered the troops there.


That is true, but obviously we wouldn't be spending as much if we weren't in a war.


Naw, it be pretty damn close either way.


Also true, but, again, we wouldn't be spending as much if there weren't thousands of soldiers being injured in a war.


That might be true, but it would still be pretty close.


Nothing is wrong with that, I just keep bringing it up in order to point out that we're in these wars mainly because people are profiting off of it, and to point out that government spending does benefit private industry and helps the economy. I just think it should be spent on an industry that doesn't involve killing a bunch of soldiers and innocent people for no reason.


Naw, were in this war, singular, to stop terrorists, private industry just happens to be profiting in the process.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.