Gaming Your Reality away to the Masses
Posted 3/18/10 , edited 3/18/10
First of all, I want to establish an awareness about how the gaming environment being a social event; people became players of an artificial stage, while engaging themselves in social activities with boundaries defined by preexisting rules.

Now, assuming that you can learn real social skills as well as real survival skills with real game plays in real life, thereby developing strong leadership and creative skills that have real world applications. Keep in mind that these games were happening in real place and at real time.

This time however, I would like you to look at one game designer named Jane McGonigal and her TED talk entitled "Gaming can make a better world". She basically wanted to solve real world societal and survival problems, by having online gamers playing a series of virtual games that simulate these crisis, while inside the totally safe and harmless confide of an artificial environment.

She invoked World of Warcraft as the example of an artificial social environment for learning and experimenting through intensive and productive game play. However what's WoW as a virtual social medium that builds virtual trust and virtual friendship, has got to do with the fact that humans were naturally capable of establishing real trust and real friendship through real socializing. Ever since before the age of communication technology?

The objective truth would be that virtual socializing cannot built real trust and real friendship, and it doesn't train users the natural social skills of analyzing real human social conducts via real human behavioral patterns. In essence, virtual social medium is just another institution of methodology; a culture of virtual self-confidence.

Furthermore, this also means that every users who first met on this virtual social medium all had the same cultural experience such as everyone else did. Therefore the trust that the users gain and the bond that they shared aren't natural, when they're just man-made collectivist and homogenizing effect of a group-mind mentality. Because the users all collectively experienced sameness.

This sameness in the form of WoW as a man-made collectivist culture is also a double-edge sword. For it disassociates the users from their individuality and without that, they are not their own masters. Therefore they are not true leaders unless they're dependable individuals with strong social skills, who can recognize other individuals with unique strengths that are different than their own. This is why collectivist culture failed at establishing true harmony among human society, when it's got no consideration on the wills of individuals.

And the proof of what I said lies in their behavioral patterns of how WoW as a virtual social medium artificially removed the users' individual personal space for them, who otherwise would've just been complete strangers with different lives, and have nothing to do with themselves in reality. In other words, it was their shared virtual experience of sameness that homogenized their minds. When they didn't apply their real social skills in real life in the first place.

Think about that the next time when you met another gamer who you've never met in real life.

But wait! There's more! Another form of "artificial social environment for learning and experimenting through intensive and productive game play" is, quite oddly enough, the reality TV game program. Just yesterday a documentary of social experiment in the form of a fake reality TV game show aired in France, with the first experiment of its kind was conducted in the 1960's at Yale University. This is to have both the game contestants and the audiences themselves to experience the social progress called "blind obedience", and the fake reality game show was called "Le jeu de la mort". Which is the French equivalent of "The Game of Death", minus the late Bruce Lee, of course.

As I look at both of these examples, I can see a common thread that connects the online gamers as well as the reality game contestants and audiences. And that is their overall sense of helplessness towards real life situation. Furthermore, they've all been through at least some of the seven social processes that gear toward what sociologists now called "Lucifer Effect", whenever they're playing in that artificial social environment.

Lately whenever I write, I only aim to achieve either the greatest or the worst display of humanitarianism possible, otherwise I think it wouldn't be a lesson worth learning. And this time by invoking the game environment as an institution of methodology; the ultimate stage of monkeys see, monkeys do. Where the majority of human players as a mob mentality being the monkeys. While the game environment became the ultimate "Lucifer Effect". I'm beginning to see how can a sense of helplessness got played right into the humans' mind by a society of addict gamers. It sure goes to show that for better or worst, how we're still the changes we want to see in our world. When you managed to make it entertaining enough, people will even helplessly hop onto the bandwagons of the torturers and executioners.

Will the people of our society ever realize that their actions all have real world changing implications? Yet for the longest time they got the worst pessimistic attitude ever, due to their unnecessary and wasteful addictions. As I managed to help myself by staying afloat from it all, I honestly don't know the answer to my own question. When I'm but my own individual self.
114128 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / in a world where...
Offline
Posted 3/18/10
its hard to understand what you're trying to discuss/convey here

are you saying that games lead people to do evil? that games give a feigned sense of friendship, leadership and otherwise life experiences?
Posted 3/18/10

uhohimdead wrote:

its hard to understand what you're trying to discuss/convey here

are you saying that games lead people to do evil? that games give a feigned sense of friendship, leadership and otherwise life experiences?
Game is just a social environment. However when you take real consequences out of the contents of a game, or disregard authenticity by conducting the game itself on a virtual medium, you are messing with individuals' sense of reality, while still creating real world effect on the minds of the individuals.
17888 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 3/19/10

DomFortress wrote:


uhohimdead wrote:

its hard to understand what you're trying to discuss/convey here

are you saying that games lead people to do evil? that games give a feigned sense of friendship, leadership and otherwise life experiences?
Game is just a social environment. However when you take real consequences out of the contents of a game, or disregard authenticity by conducting the game itself on a virtual medium, you are messing with individuals' sense of reality, while still creating real world effect on the minds of the individuals.


In other words a person actions will always be destructive even wen their affecting the world around them. Because the mind can not get past the concept of being just a game. People do not have the concept that they do have the power to change things. And are programmed to think their actions have little affect on anything around them!

Am I close Or did I fall of the edge of the flat earth we live on?
Posted 3/19/10 , edited 3/19/10

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


DomFortress wrote:


uhohimdead wrote:

its hard to understand what you're trying to discuss/convey here

are you saying that games lead people to do evil? that games give a feigned sense of friendship, leadership and otherwise life experiences?
Game is just a social environment. However when you take real consequences out of the contents of a game, or disregard authenticity by conducting the game itself on a virtual medium, you are messing with individuals' sense of reality, while still creating real world effect on the minds of the individuals.


In other words a person actions will always be destructive even wen their affecting the world around them. Because the mind can not get past the concept of being just a game. People do not have the concept that they do have the power to change things. And are programmed to think their actions have little affect on anything around them!

Am I close Or did I fall of the edge of the flat earth we live on?
Your last half was correct(which subsequently kills the buzz to debate with individuals who think they're just so helpless ), however I think the first half needs some revising.

When you made any act entertaining, easy, and rewarding. You can fool just about anyone into doing something, simply by making the act itself desirable. Therefore when the end doesn't justify the means, it's ultimately the thought that counts.

For example, the way how some individuals ignore details and only desire to know about the "what". Is the direct result of how they were made to think that the act of only knowing the trivial is entertaining, easy, and rewarding. This is done by the educational process of "drill and practice", as well as the awash of pop-cultural influence.

In other words, they were never made to find out for themselves the "how" and "why"; the analytical and logical processes that represent a will driven by rational thoughts, and not just a desire of simple wanting and needing. Because rationality was made boring, hard, and discouraging. Kinda like how this meme got circulated on the internet as a game, was responsible to that mentality: TL;DR.

I could just keep on rationalizing, but I can also see that the majority of people were already made to think that rationality is undesirable. Therefore I could just take my leaves now, and they can all be entitled by their blissful ignorance. Since I'm an individual who should only be responsible for his own actions.

However, when gaming became a lifestyle of next to no real world reference or stimulus. While it's the perfect vehicle to induce a culture of sameness, much like how the TV with pop-cultural references. Only this time it's the internet with user generated contents as the social norms.

Inevitably, what we're looking at is totalitarian tyranny from the masses to the individuals. And now they're hopping onto MMORPG and reality TV shows. When they're made popular, massive, quest based, and addictive as all hell.

"THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Catholics,
and I didn’t speak up because I was a Protestant.

THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up."
-Pastor Martin Niemöller,
Posted 3/19/10
meh i guess I will say it, I hate playing games online or playing games like wow, mw2 etc. I really don't see the point in it to be honest. I prefer story driven games with an objective that needs to be done like "saving the princess, becoming the most bad-ass overlord ever etc" I also play games for the stories and the way they are expressed in the game as the story advances forward like rpgs or action adv titles.
Posted 3/19/10

CecilTheDarkKnight_234 wrote:

meh i guess I will say it, I hate playing games online or playing games like wow, mw2 etc. I really don't see the point in it to be honest. I prefer story driven games with an objective that needs to be done like "saving the princess, becoming the most bad-ass overlord ever etc" I also play games for the stories and the way they are expressed in the game as the story advances forward like rpgs or action adv titles.
For all good things must come to an end. So is our rationality, when the majority think that they're just too good for needing any rationale.
Posted 3/19/10 , edited 3/19/10
Woohoo! I'm out of the clink! Well, sorta.

I've always had fun with games, but recognize the fact that they can be damaging. If we do learn anything from games, it's how you can exercise the brain by managing character development in RPGs and team play tactics in various others. The best thing we can do above all is have fun, because if you are playing a game not having fun, then there is a problem.
Posted 3/19/10 , edited 3/19/10

bitter_nail wrote:

Woohoo! I'm out of the clink! Well, sorta.

I've always had fun with games, but recognize the fact that they can be damaging. If we do learn anything from games, it's how you can exercise the brain by managing character development in RPGs and team play tactics in various others. The best thing we can do above all is have fun, because if you are playing a game not having fun, then there is a problem.
However not all games are damaging:

Now, assuming that you can learn real social skills as well as real survival skills with real game plays in real life, thereby developing strong leadership and creative skills that have real world applications. Keep in mind that these games were happening in real place and at real time.
And only when games played under certain conditions can have damaging effects not just on an individual's mind, but also on a society as a whole.

BTW, welcome back.
Posted 3/19/10

DomFortress wrote:


bitter_nail wrote:

Woohoo! I'm out of the clink! Well, sorta.

I've always had fun with games, but recognize the fact that they can be damaging. If we do learn anything from games, it's how you can exercise the brain by managing character development in RPGs and team play tactics in various others. The best thing we can do above all is have fun, because if you are playing a game not having fun, then there is a problem.
However not all games are damaging:

Now, assuming that you can learn real social skills as well as real survival skills with real game plays in real life, thereby developing strong leadership and creative skills that have real world applications. Keep in mind that these games were happening in real place and at real time.
And only when games played under certain conditions can have damaging effects not just on an individual's mind, but also on a society as a whole.

BTW, welcome back.


There are plenty of games geared to just teach or get you in shape. Some are just made for all the morbid people who enjoy carnage. Or we have America's Army which recruits new people for the U.S. armed forces. Games serve plenty of purposes and are often judged wrongly. It's only when we spend too much time playing them or the line between fantasy and reality are blurred. Social skills break down when all some people do is play.
Posted 3/19/10 , edited 3/19/10

bitter_nail wrote:


DomFortress wrote:


bitter_nail wrote:

Woohoo! I'm out of the clink! Well, sorta.

I've always had fun with games, but recognize the fact that they can be damaging. If we do learn anything from games, it's how you can exercise the brain by managing character development in RPGs and team play tactics in various others. The best thing we can do above all is have fun, because if you are playing a game not having fun, then there is a problem.
However not all games are damaging:

Now, assuming that you can learn real social skills as well as real survival skills with real game plays in real life, thereby developing strong leadership and creative skills that have real world applications. Keep in mind that these games were happening in real place and at real time.
And only when games played under certain conditions can have damaging effects not just on an individual's mind, but also on a society as a whole.

BTW, welcome back.


There are plenty of games geared to just teach or get you in shape. Some are just made for all the morbid people who enjoy carnage. Or we have America's Army which recruits new people for the U.S. armed forces. Games serve plenty of purposes and are often judged wrongly. It's only when we spend too much time playing them or the line between fantasy and reality are blurred. Social skills break down when all some people do is play.
Like users playing a script with a definite ending that's not of their own, so will they surrendered their creativity and originality. When they stopped telling their own stories.

As Tony Stark puts it quite eloquently: "I call it sad, when my computer simulations have more fun than I do."- from Iron Man Annual #1 "Regime Change"
Posted 4/3/10
So aside from gaming our reality away, we now just let games to incentivize our lives(citation). Just how far this mindless aping around can humanity be further compromised? When we're performing on a primitive wanting and seeking behavioral patters, just because gaming owns life.
Posted 4/3/10 , edited 4/3/10

DomFortress wrote:

So aside from gaming our reality away, we now just let games to incentivize our lives(citation). Just how far this mindless aping around can humanity be further compromised? When we're performing on a primitive wanting and seeking behavioral patters, just because gaming owns life.


Gaming owns the world, practically. With the rise of Call of Duty, for example, there is little hope for people to live normal lives if they get so hooked on a mindless romp through merciless digital combat that produces nothing. It's fun, but worthless.
You must be logged in to post.