First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Random facts about mathematics
28050 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / United states
Offline
Posted 3/26/10

T-Rish wrote:


LosingOrbit wrote:

Math is a tool, it's something you have no choice in learning, no matter how mind-numbing, pencil biting, calculator banging, textbook throwing, random cursing, chocolate nibbling it is. I despise and refute it with all my being, but everywhere I go, math will be apart of my life...forever.

But either way, those were some interesting facts to know. Maybe next time when I look at parallel lines I will not cringe, but laugh a little, and what the heck are Asymptotes? I haven't learned those yet.


A curve that approaches a function of some sort but doesn't usually reach the "end" ...i can't explain for crap...Sorta like when you know a function gives you a plateau, but the plateau doesn't exactly show a plateau, you can say "this graph is approaching an asymptote..."...blah blah blah i still can't explain LOL
something like that... i use stuff like that in bio-stat..... uni stat/math sucks ass LOL...but math is awesome when you know how to do it...stuff begins to make sense...if your studying in a field that has appro. 50% math :(....im so sad

but i do find it funni when peole go "whaaaaaaaaaat????? whats the difference between a whole number and a real number and an integer???" LOL Why do ppl get confused over it?? They're pretty much the same thing except real numbers don't have imaginary numbers (like components of i or ummmmmmmmm i think it was sqrt of -1) lol...i think....dont quote me on this


I'm gonna quote you anyways. xD

Whole number: The definition of a 'whole number' is widely discussed, but the most common used is either (1, 2, 3...) or (0, 1, 2, 3...), some people also think that negative numbers should be included.

Integers: Integers is the same as whole numbers, only that they include negative numbers. (...-3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3...)

So far what you said isn't necessarily wrong, but...

A real number includes every number on the numberline. (...-3, -2, -1, 0, 1/2, 1, 2, 3, pi, 4, 5,5, 6 1/8, √49, 2³, 3²...)
Posted 3/26/10 , edited 3/26/10

speekma wrote:

I don't understand how so many people can hate Math. Math is beautiful, constant, and universal. In school what I hated was English. Give me math problems any day, what I hate is stupid questions like 'What was Shakespeare thinking when he wrote this chapter?' 'What do you think Sylvia Plaith's metaphors referred to in her life?' 'What are some emotions the author may have felt that were conveyed through his writing?'

Back on topic, I've always liked this one: 0 to the power of 0 = 1. This is, Nothing, multiplied by nothing no times, equals something.


well, for me, hating math is because there's like sooo many formulas to learn and memorize, and in solving a problem, if you make one little teency, weency mistake then the whole thing is wrong! I'd rather take English to read about impossible journey's, and write about the most creative and hilarious stories! Yeah, i admit, English can be a pain when they give u boring questions like those, but at least you can write a descriptive response, and no matter what you'll get it right!

oh, and i got one that isnt really a math fact, and more of a joke that im sure we've all heard ----> what did 0 say to 8...."nice belt!"
16374 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / New York City
Offline
Posted 3/26/10
u think math is hard...try physics...
Posted 3/26/10

LemonyPanda wrote:


lunatictears wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:

Some Old Horse (Sin = Opp/Hyp)
Came to Another Horse (Cos = Adj./Hyp)
Taking Oats Away (Tan = Opp. / Adj)

Fuck you soh cah toa ppl


oh yeah, well i got a kinda funny one

S ome O le' H ippy
C aught A nother H ippy
T rippin' O n A cid

this doesnt change the fact that i REALLY HATE MATH ! but sometimes its ok...


LOLOL i like urs better xD


haha, thanx, urz wuz funneh too!

T-Rish 
40422 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Australia
Offline
Posted 3/26/10

aakast wrote:


I'm gonna quote you anyways. xD

Whole number: The definition of a 'whole number' is widely discussed, but the most common used is either (1, 2, 3...) or (0, 1, 2, 3...), some people also think that negative numbers should be included.

Integers: Integers is the same as whole numbers, only that they include negative numbers. (...-3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3...)

So far what you said isn't necessarily wrong, but...

A real number includes every number on the numberline. (...-3, -2, -1, 0, 1/2, 1, 2, 3, pi, 4, 5,5, 6 1/8, √49, 2³, 3²...)


LOL..yep agreed...what he said


Bashment wrote:

u think math is hard...try physics...


And that sir IS the truth... sigh although it is one very interesting subject...

25823 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 3/26/10 , edited 3/26/10

MihaKevar wrote:

Because everyone says math is hard, people come to believe it's hard and hold themselves back. It's a mental brainwash from the first time you hear it. Just like everything else it requires practice to learn and get good at it. : P

You can save yourself quite a bit of money if you can do percentages in your head, when at the store shopping.

Part of the game of Pool relies on the angles between the diamonds on the sides of the table to calculate how a shot will ricochet off the sides and where it will go.


i agree its not hard ppl just look at it and think its hard practice and ull do fine
dont use a calc to do simple math. hurts u in the long run
logarithms can be done by switching the numbers around
think of math as patterns and less like numbers helps me alot
114152 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / in a world where...
Offline
Posted 3/26/10 , edited 3/26/10
11x1=11
11x11=121
111x111=12321
1111x1111=1234321
11111x11111=123454321
111111x111111=12345654321
1111111x1111111=1234567654321
11111111x11111111=123456787654321
111111111x111111111=12345678987654321

if u add 1+2+3+4...+98+99+100=5050
(... =continue the pattern shown)

Posted 3/26/10

uhohimdead wrote:

11x1=11
11x11=121
111x111=12321
1111x1111=1234321
11111x11111=123454321
111111x111111=12345654321
1111111x1111111=1234567654321
11111111x11111111=123456787654321
111111111x111111111=12345678987654321

if u add 1+2+3+4...+98+99+100=5050
(... =continue the pattern shown)



I wanted to say that...
Oh well, loved the ones from b4, the i <3 u one
7290 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 3/26/10
Ugh.... this thread... is killing me... ;A;
3655 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / in yur dark heart
Offline
Posted 3/27/10

LemonyPanda wrote:

Some Old Horse (Sin = Opp/Hyp)
Came to Another Horse (Cos = Adj./Hyp)
Taking Oats Away (Tan = Opp. / Adj)

Fuck you soh cah toa ppl


yeah i hate soh cah toa...i actuall love
Some People Have Curly Brown Hair Turn Permanently Black
where
S = sin
p = perpendicular
h= hypotenues ~ wrong spelling ~
c= cos
b = base
t= tan
22785 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 3/29/10
when you multiply by 9, all you do is use your fingers.
EXAMPLE: 3x9=?
put your third finger down cuz your multiplying by 3. count your fingers and surprise, its 27! yay! :|

try it lol
4089 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / =_+ wahhh I'm get...
Offline
Posted 3/29/10
i have one!!!

the lucky number : 9

9*1=9
9*2= 18 (1+8=9)
9*3=27 (2+7=9)
9*4=36 (3+6=9)
9*5=45 (4+5=9)
9*6=54 (5+4=9)
9*7=63 (6+3 =9)
9*8=72 (7+2=9)
9*9=81 (8+1=9)
9*10=90 (9+0=9)
9*11=99 well....dont know bout that
9*12= 108 (1+0+8=9)
9*13= 117 (1+1+7=9)
9*14= 126 (1+2+6=9)
9*15= 135 (1+3+5=9)
9*16=144 (1+4+4=9)
9*17= 153 (1+5+3=9)
9*18= 162 (1+6+2=9)
9*19= 171 (1+7+1=9)
9*20=180 (1+8+0=9)

cool rite??
6449 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / behind you. don't...
Offline
Posted 3/29/10
PI.
3.14159265358979....

and that's all i know so far
6449 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / behind you. don't...
Offline
Posted 3/29/10

love_yamapi wrote:

i have one!!!

the lucky number : 9

9*1=9
9*2= 18 (1+8=9)
9*3=27 (2+7=9)
9*4=36 (3+6=9)
9*5=45 (4+5=9)
9*6=54 (5+4=9)
9*7=63 (6+3 =9)
9*8=72 (7+2=9)
9*9=81 (8+1=9)
9*10=90 (9+0=9)
9*11=99 well....dont know bout that
9*12= 108 (1+0+8=9)
9*13= 117 (1+1+7=9)
9*14= 126 (1+2+6=9)
9*15= 135 (1+3+5=9)
9*16=144 (1+4+4=9)
9*17= 153 (1+5+3=9)
9*18= 162 (1+6+2=9)
9*19= 171 (1+7+1=9)
9*20=180 (1+8+0=9)

cool rite??


9*11=99 (9+9=18, 1+8=9)
8619 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Dreamsicle
Offline
Posted 5/12/10 , edited 5/12/10

speekma wrote:

I don't understand how so many people can hate Math. Math is beautiful, constant, and universal. In school what I hated was English. Give me math problems any day, what I hate is stupid questions like 'What was Shakespeare thinking when he wrote this chapter?' 'What do you think Sylvia Plaith's metaphors referred to in her life?' 'What are some emotions the author may have felt that were conveyed through his writing?'

Back on topic, I've always liked this one: 0 to the power of 0 = 1. This is, Nothing, multiplied by nothing no times, equals something.


Actually I like Math more than English, because it is all mainly memorize+plug=answer. Actually math makes more sense than any other subject in school, because it is less controversy, and mainly the controversy will be about which formula and how you solve the problem.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.