First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Spiritual Purification
Posted 4/15/10
There are many supposed ways to purge the soul of impurity and restore a healthy state. Numerous religions attain this through prayer and other rituals. There is even a tribe of people in South America who drink an alcoholic beverage until they vomit in order to achieve a renewed spirit. It is of crucial importance for people to alleviate their burdens. It can be a simple thing in life that causes someone to feel so horrible, for it is not only sins that are thought to drag the soul down.

I just wondered what everyone's take on this is.
Posted 4/15/10

Glock45 wrote:

There are many supposed ways to purge the soul of impurity and restore a healthy state. Numerous religions attain this through prayer and other rituals. There is even a tribe of people in South America who drink an alcoholic beverage until they vomit in order to achieve a renewed spirit. It is of crucial importance for people to alleviate their burdens. It can be a simple thing in life that causes someone to feel so horrible, for it is not only sins that are thought to drag the soul down.

I just wondered what everyone's take on this is.
I know you can get your stomach pumped at the hospital without putting yourself at risk of alcohol poisoning(that's why the body vomit, is to purge the toxin ). But that's neither here nor there regarding the topic matter.

As for the subject of spiritual purity, I consider myself as someone who's spiritual but not religious. In a sense that I can establish a spiritual connection with other sentient beings. By me utilize my intuition and perception(aka to meditate on) of my thoughts and feelings about how myself relate with others that I know.

That being said, religious rituals of any sort just became some kind of method for indoctrination within a social group to me. Which is just as well as it being some kind of social status modifier within a cultural establishment, and its purpose just doesn't sound spiritual to me at all.
Posted 4/15/10

DomFortress wrote:


Glock45 wrote:

There are many supposed ways to purge the soul of impurity and restore a healthy state. Numerous religions attain this through prayer and other rituals. There is even a tribe of people in South America who drink an alcoholic beverage until they vomit in order to achieve a renewed spirit. It is of crucial importance for people to alleviate their burdens. It can be a simple thing in life that causes someone to feel so horrible, for it is not only sins that are thought to drag the soul down.

I just wondered what everyone's take on this is.
I know you can get your stomach pumped at the hospital without putting yourself at risk of alcohol poisoning(that's why the body vomit, is to purge the toxin ). But that's neither here nor there regarding the topic matter.

As for the subject of spiritual purity, I consider myself as someone who's spiritual but not religious. In a sense that I can establish a spiritual connection with other sentient beings. By me utilize my intuition and perception(aka to meditate on) of my thoughts and feelings about how myself relate with others that I know.

That being said, religious rituals of any sort just became some kind of method for indoctrination within a social group to me. Which is just as well as it being some kind of social status modifier within a cultural establishment, and its purpose just doesn't sound spiritual to me at all.


People get off on pageantry and grandiose imagery when it comes to anything spiritual. We see masses held by Catholicism and think "are they even remotely aware of all this finery?" This morning, the idea for this thread dawned on me as I was sick and regurgitating something that didn't go down well. After I was finished with my bout of technicolor yawns, I naturally felt much better. I felt good enough to go to work, but thought better of the situation and stayed home. Concerning the soul, the body relies much on our own choices, so the idea is that our souls are healthy so long as we can make the right moves. Many would state that all we are in this realm is a reflection of the soul. To cleanse the soul helps to get us through this life, or at least in the mind it does.
Posted 4/15/10
Some believe that meditation cleanses the mind and uplifts the spirit. Some people have even claimed to have found nirvana. For me I rather use prayer, for it gives me an inner peace or sense of relief.



Posted 4/15/10

LosingOrbit wrote:

Some believe that meditation cleanses the mind and uplifts the spirit. Some people have even claimed to have found nirvana. For me I rather use prayer, for it gives me an inner peace or sense of relief.
Whatever the others didn't hear it from you won't hurt them, IMO.

I think it also has to do with individuals' own thinking style, such as thinking out loud as oppose to internalizing the situation. Both are still individually thinking techniques, which is far more than what I can say about collective group think, aka one does the the talking while the rest just listen.
55941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
58 / F / Midwest, rural Am...
Offline
Posted 4/15/10
I think Glock45 touched on a key element of purification, it's a combination of both body (tech yawns) & mind (prayer, meditation,etc.) necessary for renewal.
Maintaining a healthy body is conducive to a healthy mind/soul, as an ailing body does make for a sluggish mind, & pain physical or mental wears out both body & mind.

Guess one could go the route of emetics or herbal cleanses for detoxing the body; spiritual retreats, ie. monasteries, yoga, or the many forms of meditation for the mind & soul.

I've gone the route of herbs in the past for the physical----meh.

I wonder at my prayer life being a conscious, intentional act for my spiritual renewal, though I believe it is. It's more a daily conversation & interaction w/ my Creator, which may include among other subjects, requests for guidance, comfort for self (or others), peace & serenity, a subsiding of built up anxiety or anger, all of which detract from spiritual well being.

Since I'm prone to a lack of self discipline, I continue to do stupid things at the expense of body & mind. Well, so far, I'm still here!
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 4/15/10 , edited 4/15/10
Ahh Spirituality. Even atheist like my self have some form of spirituality, being it has very little to do with religion per say.

Spirituality is a trance created in the mind through chanting, drugs or hypnotic suggestions, it does little for health benefits other than the same affect people would get from a sugar-pill. Sounds like I am trying to say it is useless but that is not true.. Sugar pills are very helpful at making people feel better even wen they do nothing for you. Spirituality is similar in that matter. And So Spirituality wile doing nothing for you, is still a means to make one feel better.

As for me, I find that I could never be part of the drink and purge tribe, for the simple fact I fail at the purging part. Maby, purging other ways count as well. then I be happy to join that Spiritual group. (peeing)
Posted 4/15/10

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

Ahh Spirituality. Even atheist like my self have some form of spirituality, being it has very little to do with religion per say.

Spirituality is a trance created in the mind through chanting, drugs or hypnotic suggestions, it does little for health benefits other than the same affect people would get from a sugar-pill. Sounds like I am trying to say it is useless but that is not true.. Sugar pills are very helpful at making people feel better even wen they do nothing for you. Spirituality is similar in that matter. And So Spirituality wile doing nothing for you, is still a means to make one feel better.


Sugar is broken down into glucose, which is one of the requirements of our brains. A heightened ''spiritual" state comes essentially from anything making us feel better than just merely good or normal. With sex, people claim to feel "transcended" and regard that as spiritual. Sex is sacred to many people, and the classification of wonderful things being sacred becomes spiritual in a sense. In the Kama Sutra, intimacy is taken far beyond the mere hammer-and-tongs approach which so many people are fond of. The deep emotions one can feel through absolute fulfillment is all the inspiration for the idea of spirituality, I think.
8742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Scotland, Aberdeen
Offline
Posted 4/16/10
Good thing I have no spirit, no need to worry about this stuff.
Posted 4/16/10

DerfelCadarn wrote:

Good thing I have no spirit, no need to worry about this stuff. :D


It would be nice to have a spirit, but then, what would the point of living be?
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 4/16/10 , edited 4/16/10

Glock45 wrote:


DerfelCadarn wrote:

Good thing I have no spirit, no need to worry about this stuff. :D


It would be nice to have a spirit, but then, what would the point of living be?

.
Because once you remove superstition from ones opinions, observable facts can lead you to more better understanding of reality and existence. In this way we can get a better understanding of one self even on a more spiritual level...... with no need of superstitions or delusions.
Posted 4/16/10

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Glock45 wrote:


DerfelCadarn wrote:

Good thing I have no spirit, no need to worry about this stuff. :D


It would be nice to have a spirit, but then, what would the point of living be?

.
Because once you remove superstition from ones opinions, observable facts can lead you to more better understanding of reality and existence. In this way we can get a better understanding of one self even on a more spiritual level...... with no need of superstitions or delusions.


And delusions turn everything on its head, when the spirit is not a thing which can truly be defined. Whatever the connection is we have with this otherworldly force, it seems we should leave it be as a mystery until the day when we each find out if it exists at all. That would be the day when maybe the cleansing of the soul is most important.
402 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Gotham
Offline
Posted 4/16/10
I don't believe the soul exists
55941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
58 / F / Midwest, rural Am...
Offline
Posted 4/16/10
Couldn't we say mental consciousness is a kind of spiritual soul-like something or other?
You know, " a rose by another other name..........."Maybe, it's not so much a matter of what to call it.

However, achieving peace of mind, taking time for rest & relaxation, allowing body & mind a chance for healing & renewal, what ever you want to call it, IS essential for health.
So, what are some ways to achieve this? How do you prevent mental meltdowns?

( " Well, I do it by denying I even have a soul or spirit. There, that solves things. " -or- " I'll reject this reality, & substitute my own! " )

[ It seems so few people utilize their ability to be creative anymore. ]
8742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Scotland, Aberdeen
Offline
Posted 4/16/10

farmbird wrote:
Couldn't we say mental consciousness is a kind of spiritual soul-like something or other?
You know, " a rose by another other name..........."Maybe, it's not so much a matter of what to call it.


We could, but why would we? It would likely only foster misunderstanding.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.