First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Nonsensical Rhetoric
Posted 4/19/10

farmbird wrote:


DomFortress wrote:

SS, Shock Troopers, Storm Troopers. All these and many other scare tactics are all what's sustaining capitalism; by exploiting and regressing humanity through a series of fear and trauma, thus convert and subdue mankind into a state of learned helplessness.


Man! This sounds so negative & pessimistic!!!!!! So many forum topics & responses seem so Doomsday oriented.

I wish to state pessimism & negativity are the real threats to civilization.
Quite the opposite, because now I've identified a sickness, a problem, and a cure for it by me not siding myself with capitalism. And when I can do it, I know for a fact that others can.
55941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
58 / F / Midwest, rural Am...
Offline
Posted 4/19/10

DomFortress wrote:


farmbird wrote:


DomFortress wrote:

SS, Shock Troopers, Storm Troopers. All these and many other scare tactics are all what's sustaining capitalism; by exploiting and regressing humanity through a series of fear and trauma, thus convert and subdue mankind into a state of learned helplessness.


Man! This sounds so negative & pessimistic!!!!!! So many forum topics & responses seem so Doomsday oriented.

I wish to state pessimism & negativity are the real threats to civilization.

Quite the opposite, because now I've identified a sickness, a problem, and a cure for it by me not siding myself with capitalism. And when I can do it, I know for a fact that others can.


Wow!! now you've added quirky idealism to an already muddied & pessimistic thought.
Guess you've got a lot of people to educate & convince with that thought, better get crackin'!

Sure, capitalism has problems, but so does any other human ideology. History shows us nothing which has been permanently in place working consistently in perfect harmony for the good of all.Capitalism may not be "THE" problem as much as selfishness.
Posted 4/19/10

farmbird wrote:


DomFortress wrote:


farmbird wrote:


DomFortress wrote:

SS, Shock Troopers, Storm Troopers. All these and many other scare tactics are all what's sustaining capitalism; by exploiting and regressing humanity through a series of fear and trauma, thus convert and subdue mankind into a state of learned helplessness.


Man! This sounds so negative & pessimistic!!!!!! So many forum topics & responses seem so Doomsday oriented.

I wish to state pessimism & negativity are the real threats to civilization.

Quite the opposite, because now I've identified a sickness, a problem, and a cure for it by me not siding myself with capitalism. And when I can do it, I know for a fact that others can.


Wow!! now you've added quirky idealism to an already muddied & pessimistic thought.
Guess you've got a lot of people to educate & convince with that thought, better get crackin'!

Sure, capitalism has problems, but so does any other human ideology. History shows us nothing which has been permanently in place working consistently in perfect harmony for the good of all. Capitalism may not be "THE" problem as much as selfishness.
That just means that we now have a lot of raw data that can show us just what doesn't work, and we can now add the combination of "selfish capitalists" as one of them.

Furthermore, insofar I can see a lot more ideologies that do work. All that's left for me is to spot a pattern among them and create a new ideology, without relying on the nasty sway of monetary incentive as an extrinsic motivator in the first place. For that's the worst thing could have happen to us, and it's been like that since the dawn of human civilization, or as I would dubbed it domestication of mankind as livestock using sticks and carrots.
Posted 4/22/10
Insofar I posted three sociological topics on the CR Japanese culture forum, they are:

From Japanese Media Stereotype to Cultural Scene and Influence.
Japanese Senior Suicide Rate is a Social Problem.
Japanese Legislation Downplay on Rape.


Although all three topics are closely related to the lives of the Japanese people, and they're most definitely related to mainstream Japanese culture. However even amongst those who are interested in all that's Japanese, hardly anyone engaged the topics.

This led me to think that either the audiences were just as stupid as Rick Shenkman had proclaimed they are, or they're just bias and didn't wanna see their subject of obsession in a lesser than positive notion. I mean how else can they form a conscious choice about Japanese culture, if they're not fully aware of the whole picture?
Posted 4/23/10
I just realized that my ideal concept of humanity should be strong enough for men, but ultimately made for women. Because anything less will be uncivilized.
Posted 5/6/10
This is every mad scientists' dream comes true: an online application for you to play with facts however you please.

Here's a background story about the application known as Wolfram Alpha.
75430 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 6/20/10 , edited 6/20/10


This is Dom Fortress's "room with a view of myself", fantasy? thought experiment? anyhow the idea and my reaction:

It's sad that the first thing I thought of was a TV show. There was an episode of "dollhouse" (an American tv show by Joss Whedon that had as the basic premise the technology to wipe minds that create your own custom build personalities)

In one Episode the Nerdy Techno-mancer of the show requests to use one of the dolls (mind wiped 'volunteers') as part of "routine maintenance". what he does for this "maintenance testing" is implant a personality that remarkably resembles himself and spend the day hanging out, playing sci fi trivia and Nerf tag. This episode immediately came to mind when I read the thesis above.

Myself, I'm not sure. I am sufficiently, self-critical and disappointed with myself that I COULD see myself giving to, or receiving from myself a beating, or at least a good talking down to. Although in these latter years I've greatly toned down the negative self talk and self deprecation.

I could also see myselves being bored at first with conversations that sounded like

"What about..."
"Yeah...
"me to... "(in unison)

"But I really..."
"I know, that's why..."
"...of course."

What would be more interesting would be meeting yourself as you were at a different point in your life. Or maybe meeting yourself substantially altered in some small particular. IE opposite gender... (ooh if I was locked in a room with a girl self would we find ourselves attractive?)

Amusing thought. Thanks Dom.

ooh... I just remembered another TV show. "Walkabout" from Season 3 of Babylon 5.

Posted 6/20/10

papagolfwhiskey wrote:



This is Dom Fortress's "room with a view of myself", fantasy? thought experiment? anyhow the idea and my reaction:

It's sad that the first thing I thought of was a TV show. There was an episode of "dollhouse" (an American tv show by Joss Whedon that had as the basic premise the technology to wipe minds that create your own custom build personalities)

In one Episode the Nerdy Techno-mancer of the show requests to use one of the dolls (mind wiped 'volunteers') as part of "routine maintenance". what he does for this "maintenance testing" is implant a personality that remarkably resembles himself and spend the day hanging out, playing sci fi trivia and Nerf tag. This episode immediately came to mind when I read the thesis above.

Myself, I'm not sure. I am sufficiently, self-critical and disappointed with myself that I COULD see myself giving to, or receiving from myself a beating, or at least a good talking down to. Although in these latter years I've greatly toned down the negative self talk and self deprecation.

I could also see myselves being bored at first with conversations that sounded like

"What about..."
"Yeah...
"me to... "(in unison)

"But I really..."
"I know, that's why..."
"...of course."

What would be more interesting would be meeting yourself as you were at a different point in your life. Or maybe meeting yourself substantially altered in some small particular. IE opposite gender... (ooh if I was locked in a room with a girl self would we find ourselves attractive?)

Amusing thought. Thanks Dom.

ooh... I just remembered another TV show. "Walkabout" from Season 3 of Babylon 5.

You should be interested to know that "false memory implantation" was in fact real. And you're welcome.
Posted 6/26/10
So I have a question!
What does it mean when someone says
"I just don't like it because nuff said"
and thats it. Am I the only person really annoyed like it insults your intelligence to hear something like that? I got a message from someone telling them about a movie I watched and they said they don't like it cause they don't like the actor. So you would miss out on a great expericance because of one stupid detail. Come to think of it that closed minded thing pisses me off anytime I hear it.
Any reason would have been better than just saying "I just don't like it because nuff said"
I would have accepted cause
"you touch yourself at night"
"your mother"
"why you gotta be so adopted"
"not much of a movie person"
or even
"Tom cruise doesn't give me a hard on"
OK let the spamming begin!
Member
15358 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Insert Tampon Here.
Offline
Posted 11/7/10

Fusev wrote:

So I have a question!
What does it mean when someone says
"I just don't like it because nuff said"
and thats it. Am I the only person really annoyed like it insults your intelligence to hear something like that? I got a message from someone telling them about a movie I watched and they said they don't like it cause they don't like the actor. So you would miss out on a great expericance because of one stupid detail. Come to think of it that closed minded thing pisses me off anytime I hear it.
Any reason would have been better than just saying "I just don't like it because nuff said"
I would have accepted cause
"you touch yourself at night"
"your mother"
"why you gotta be so adopted"
"not much of a movie person"
or even
"Tom cruise doesn't give me a hard on"
OK let the spamming begin!


Well, I asked my sister for her opinion. Her aggravated answer was "Quite being and idiot. Obviously that person doesn't like the damn movie so therefore there is nothing else to say." Don't mind the derogatory comments; her angry mood was influenced when I interrupted her homework time.

However, I think the person was being super lazy and didn’t want to retype what they said. I don’t believe there was any intention of trying to insult you intellectually. Slang is a common subversion of English these days. It bothers me that it is extremely hard to read something that has terrible English to it. People usually type what they would say exactly, or so my English teacher told me. She said that it was a good tip on writing English papers for college.

Speaking of typing English as you would say it, that reminds me of this time while I was at work and I had encountered a man from Louisiana. He was being absolutely rude to me (in my point of view) and treating me as if I didn’t know how to do my job. He kept yelling his annoying commands that were blatantly hard to understand (for myself). After I had asked him, twice on nearly everything he said, he laughed and said he was from Louisiana.

In my opinion, I disagree that his incomprehensible speaking abilities is the fault of his prior location. I believe that anyone is capable of making themselves understandable to human interaction. It’s just annoying. Then they insult you, telling you that you are a know at all rich bitch. >=( (Of course the customer didn’t say that, that would be improper social skills .) I think people should put in the effort to be understandable in human interaction.

I don’t know maybe I’m being selfish or something like it. Or maybe my opinion was sidetracked. =\
Member
15358 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Insert Tampon Here.
Offline
Posted 11/24/10
Well, this isn't something I would deem "Retarded".

It's about a story of a domestic violence victim who survives and rebuilds her life slowly at a time. She gets eleven surgeries on her face. I have to say, I am quite impressed and intrigued. I found it inspirational; I sort of want to be some sort of Anaplastologist.


here's the story: Carolyn Thomas
Posted 1/12/11
So if we were to create the ideal society, we would have to kill everyone since everyone thinks differently right? Just saying there will always be someone who doesn't agree unless we all think the same and how much fun would that be? Unless you can control how people think its impossible to create an idealism that work better than capitalism cause there are people who would stand behind it.

"ok the bait is set rip me a new one"
55941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
58 / F / Midwest, rural Am...
Offline
Posted 2/22/11

Fusev wrote:

So I have a question!
What does it mean when someone says
"I just don't like it because nuff said"
and thats it. Am I the only person really annoyed like it insults your intelligence to hear something like that?.......................................................... So you would miss out on a great expericance because of one stupid detail. Come to think of it that closed minded thing pisses me off anytime I hear it.
Any reason would have been better than just saying "I just don't like it because nuff said"


I question the rhetoric you're using. The way you're phrasing your particular complaint feels almost as overbearing as the problem of the closed minded attitude which bugs you so much.
Oh well-- within the question you've posed, being insulted by such imperious statements as "nuff said", are you yourself willing to compromise? Or are you of an opinion closer to shooting those of offensive or differing views (to yours ) mentioned in your follow up post from January 2011?
Just asking.... 'cause I actually find myself somewhat in agreement with your complaint--look no further than my 'tag' line --Closed minds fast run out of space.
Posted 2/23/11

farmbird wrote:


Fusev wrote:

So I have a question!
What does it mean when someone says
"I just don't like it because nuff said"
and thats it. Am I the only person really annoyed like it insults your intelligence to hear something like that?.......................................................... So you would miss out on a great expericance because of one stupid detail. Come to think of it that closed minded thing pisses me off anytime I hear it.
Any reason would have been better than just saying "I just don't like it because nuff said"


I question the rhetoric you're using. The way you're phrasing your particular complaint feels almost as overbearing as the problem of the closed minded attitude which bugs you so much.
Oh well-- within the question you've posed, being insulted by such imperious statements as "nuff said", are you yourself willing to compromise? Or are you of an opinion closer to shooting those of offensive or differing views (to yours ) mentioned in your follow up post from January 2011?
Just asking.... 'cause I actually find myself somewhat in agreement with your complaint--look no further than my 'tag' line --Closed minds fast run out of space.


Actually now I don't expect any intelligent thought from people beyond tits and ass jokes regurgitated from comedians or telivision; in a way, I have to admit I expected a lot from people when I talk to them but that's really unfair. Talking to people and asking their opinion or why they have that opinion is asking too much. Most of my friends don't even know why they like stuff or are too embarassed to admit it...like anime for example...or music. Most people I know only like the image a particular genre of music has(oh these guyz get laid all the time) vs yeah I like that song or I understand the message the song is giving or the video was funny.

Nuff said...is more like you send someone a 5 page long text message and you get a three letter answer "lol" or "oh"

First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.