Herbal Remedies
Posted 4/25/10
Many people take a myriad of supplements to better their health. St. John's Wort, for instance, can help treat mild depression, and Ginko Biloba helps with memory. Many products often just give you an extra boost of common nutrients. These are often neglected and shouldn't be. When you lack something, you can surely feel it.

Here's to your health!
55941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
58 / F / Midwest, rural Am...
Offline
Posted 4/25/10
For the past 3 1/2 to 4 yrs. I've been taking soft gel capsules of oil of oregano after someone shared w/ me how it was supposed to help w/ not only bacterial & viral infections, but also act as a boost against the ravages of mold, yeast & fungal irritations or infections.
I truly have noticed a major decrease in the # of annual colds as well as the sufferings from spring & fall "hay-fever" seasons. Two winter's ago, I got my daughter to start taking the oil of oregano. She would usually get 3-4 colds a yr., & had been prone to sinus & ear infections. For those last 2 winters, she has avoided infections all together & has only gotten 3 minor colds.
Now then, here's the deal. I've never done any research on the oregano, nor encountered anyone else who might use it this way, not even the person who told me about it, tho I trust their word.

I used herbal supplements & remedies almost exclusively maybe 20 yrs. ago, but got overwhelmed with all the info one needed in order to use them responsibly as well as the amounts of capsules, tablets & measuring involved, on a daily basis. I figured I hadn't been that bad off to begin with, & improvements weren't so noticeably fantastic to justify continued hassle, so I decided to concentrate on better eating habits & food choices.
Posted 4/25/10

Glock45 wrote:

Many people take a myriad of supplements to better their health. St. John's Wort, for instance, can help treat mild depression, and Ginko Biloba helps with memory. Many products often just give you an extra boost of common nutrients. These are often neglected and shouldn't be. When you lack something, you can surely feel it.

Here's to your health!


unless it's approved by the fda and the drug admn. mainstream people will not buy it. People are so dense when it comes to this stuff to begin with and well the old saying is true money makes the world go round
8742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Scotland, Aberdeen
Offline
Posted 4/26/10 , edited 4/26/10
Herbal remedies are shite. You could extract their active agents and use them in a much more accurate dosage and separately of other active ingredients, but no, that's not exotic enough, it's just boring, right?

If you don't enjoy whatever herbal remedy you're taking, just go to a specialist shop and buy the extract. That would be my view on the matter.
Posted 4/26/10

DerfelCadarn wrote:

Herbal remedies are shite. You could extract their active agents and use them in a much more accurate dosage and separately of other active ingredients, but no, that's not exotic enough, it's just boring, right?

If you don't enjoy whatever herbal remedy you're taking, just go to a specialist shop and buy the extract. That would be my view on the matter.


I like your spin on herbal remedies. Shyte! LOL!
55941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
58 / F / Midwest, rural Am...
Offline
Posted 4/30/10

Glock45 wrote:

DerfelCadarn wrote:
Herbal remedies are shite. You could extract their active agents and use them in a much more accurate dosage and separately of other active ingredients, but no, that's not exotic enough, it's just boring, right?
If you don't enjoy whatever herbal remedy you're taking, just go to a specialist shop and buy the extract. That would be my view on the matter.

I like your spin on herbal remedies. Shyte! LOL!


I rather prefer the idea of getting my nutrition from natural plant/food sources, & I feel the "Herbal" businesses have been well infiltrated by a lot of greedy money grubbers serving hype & drama to further their sales. That said, I'd still rather go to the natural sources they provide than buy 'pseudo' lab products chemically engineered to contain whatever ingredient the natural food source has to offer. The natural is easier to digest & absorb into our bodies.

I guess the thing about this name Herbal Remedy has more to do with available food sources which have been forgotten & out of favor in the menu planning of our day. For instance, how many of us have tried to eat burdock? (I have, & I won't ever again- personal preference!), dandelion greens? violets? cattail roots (tubers) ? Rhubarb had always been considered a spring source for its tonic properties after long hard pantry depleting winters, along with these I've mentioned, & the nutrients they provide are very much in keeping w/ the needs of the body in times of lean & stress.
Posted 4/30/10

farmbird wrote:


Glock45 wrote:

DerfelCadarn wrote:
Herbal remedies are shite. You could extract their active agents and use them in a much more accurate dosage and separately of other active ingredients, but no, that's not exotic enough, it's just boring, right?
If you don't enjoy whatever herbal remedy you're taking, just go to a specialist shop and buy the extract. That would be my view on the matter.

I like your spin on herbal remedies. Shyte! LOL!


I rather prefer the idea of getting my nutrition from natural plant/food sources, & I feel the "Herbal" businesses have been well infiltrated by a lot of greedy money grubbers serving hype & drama to further their sales. That said, I'd still rather go to the natural sources they provide than buy 'pseudo' lab products chemically engineered to contain whatever ingredient the natural food source has to offer. The natural is easier to digest & absorb into our bodies.

I guess the thing about this name Herbal Remedy has more to do with available food sources which have been forgotten & out of favor in the menu planning of our day. For instance, how many of us have tried to eat burdock? (I have, & I won't ever again- personal preference!), dandelion greens? violets? cattail roots (tubers) ? Rhubarb had always been considered a spring source for its tonic properties after long hard pantry depleting winters, along with these I've mentioned, & the nutrients they provide are very much in keeping w/ the needs of the body in times of lean & stress.


Ever eat Rhubarb cake? So good. I think the best thing to do with herbal remedies is use them only if you can't get medical attention from a lack of insurance. Some people have to go that route, sadly. A phony product would certainly be anything telling you something like "this pill will give you everything you need in just one dose, including explosive sexual gratification." If I wanted to have some kind of wonder pill, I'd get the education and make one myself.
1394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 5/3/10
There's a reason why herbal medicine has been abandoned and replaced by modern medicine, they aren't as effective. Are we really going to depend on the medicine of people who thought that the sun rose everyday only because some God wanted Human Blood?
55941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
58 / F / Midwest, rural Am...
Offline
Posted 5/5/10

orangeflute wrote:

There's a reason why herbal medicine has been abandoned and replaced by modern medicine, they aren't as effective. Are we really going to depend on the medicine of people who thought that the sun rose everyday only because some God wanted Human Blood?


Granted, there are things about the old practices we need to abandon & abolish.

I'm fascinated more w/ the lost tastes of nutritional foods whether from plants, animal, or fungus. Old cookbooks ( I've got a couple from the 19th century ) have some ingredients with which I'm not too familiar. Other cultures around the world use foods as staples to their diet which may have comparable versions to things available to us, but are totally out of favor & flavor w/ us.

I'd love coming back to this thread & see what offerings, as well as arguments people give. I'm sure some of these food stuffs are worth rediscovery or introduction at the very least for the added nutrition & variety they can lend to stuck in a rut drive-thru fast food diets.
1394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 5/5/10
In my Grandfather's day, traditional healing mainly consisted of either numbing the pain with a bit of ale, or all out knocking the lads out with whiskey.
Moon Princess Moderator
283368 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Heaven
Offline
Posted 5/8/10
~Locked
You must be logged in to post.