First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Happiness
962 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Atlantis Sector 1...
Offline
Posted 4/27/10 , edited 4/28/10

Why do we spend our lives going to school for 18 years in order to pay the bills and build up credit card debt?” I feel like the only reason I go to my classes’ everyday is because I live in fear of what the future would be like if I didn’t. If you could be the happiest man in the world, why bother spending seven hours a day in a stuffy building doing something I didn't want to be doing, with 25 other people who didn't want to be doing it either? I mean, where’s the logic in that? Why do the majorities of us spend the short lives we have going to school, becoming middle class desk jockeys, paying the bills, building our lives around material possessions, retiring, and end up slowing dying in some nursing home because our children won’t take the time and care for us. I feel as if everything I’m doing right now is in order to become some stereotypical product of society which has gradually changed over time, but never ceases to be the accepted standard. If you had one chance to become the happiest person in the world, at the cost of everything material you ever loved, would you take it? Why would there be any hesitation at all? I mean true happiness? Once you were truly happy you would have nothing to worry about. So why spend time worrying about how others see you, having a fancy house, having the latest things in technology? The only reason I’m asking these questions is so people can rethink the way they walk, rethink their state of mind, and rethink how they get up in the morning. Two years ago I set off on a journey. No set plans no were to go, all the time just letting the wind at my back guide me along. I traveled through Africa, and East Asia. I left everything I had once loved behind with my friends and family, the only thing I had were the clothes on my back and one bag. During that time, I had never felt such a feeling in my entire life. It was amazing to me to see people with clothes most people would call rags, playing and laughing with an energy so great, it startled me at first. The immense glow which shown from their eyes when they played, the most peaceful tone of voice in which they spoke almost melted my soul. Yet they had nothing, and would probably never see anything we people who live in modernized world call necessities. During that 2 year exploration I never realized what it meant to be happy; and now that I’m back to living my old life, the old bills, and the things I always thought I needed, I finally realized. Those few years with absolutely nothing, sharing things with people who had nothing at all to share, I can finally say that all the while…..I was drowning in life’s ocean we call happiness.

This is just an experience I had, and only my opinion. Any thoughts, questions, or other stories you guys might have about what happiness is?
1435 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Cali, in the year...
Offline
Posted 4/28/10 , edited 4/28/10
The whys are next to the zs really hehe. No but seriously I do know that feeling all too well, life was at one point, dull, dreary and downright boredom. Sometimes we got to shake things up in our own lives just so we can make better sense of it.

Mod edit: You don't need to quote the OP in the first reply.
330 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/28/10
sorry....but i really gotta say this:
it sounds EXTREMELY gay...


but, back to topic:
well, i know how u feel, i think everyone is asking themselves if that's it, if thats truly everything..
i mean, im really happy with my live, having friends, gf, my family, my dog, goin to partys, im goodlooking..i enjoy myself, but yea.. is that it?
there just gotta be more, i mean.. if i look at all the people around me, it seems like.. everyone is just living the same life.. it seems boring and im "afraid" that i'll end up just like them.. but then again, didnt i already?!
962 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Atlantis Sector 1...
Offline
Posted 4/28/10

Romeo wrote:

sorry....but i really gotta say this:
it sounds EXTREMELY gay...


but, back to topic:
well, i know how u feel, i think everyone is asking themselves if that's it, if thats truly everything..
i mean, im really happy with my live, having friends, gf, my family, my dog, goin to partys, im goodlooking..i enjoy myself, but yea.. is that it?
there just gotta be more, i mean.. if i look at all the people around me, it seems like.. everyone is just living the same life.. it seems boring and im "afraid" that i'll end up just like them.. but then again, didnt i already?!


I would just like to ask you two simple questions which have no relevance to my topic .
Are you by chance homophobic? What are your thoughts on gay marriage?
1435 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Cali, in the year...
Offline
Posted 4/28/10
I've been going through the same as you and I remembered when I was a kid, the one thing I wanted to do was go to Japan, just to see if it was really how I saw it on TV. I was fascinated by anime at a young age, and along with anything else, I used my imagination a lot. While I was growing up, I lost my father at the age of 13, and lost my grandparents during HS, it tore me up and just threw me into adulthood right away, I was torn. Which was I to be, a teenager or grown up? I kept asking myself various questions, more complex than the next. There were expectations that were needed to uphold and the more I thought of it, the more I began to hate what I was about to become. One day, I went out in the back to see how I could salvage the den into something I could use for myself. It was there that I found an old mock playwright I did for Sonic the Hedgehog 2 so I read what I wrote those 19 years ago. I remembered back in Jr. High, a friend of mine gave me some sound advice: "Find what you can do and enjoy what you're doing." While reading my old playwrights, game ideas and other brainstorm sessions, that's where my true calling was..as a writer. I tried to go to college after High School, but I just didn't feel like it was for me. I felt like what I've been doing this time has not been for my benefit, but for my family so that they could have something or someone to talk about, I didn't want that.
When I was 24, I decided to do the most daring choice I could ever do: go to Japan. My fiancee at the time paid for my ticket, all I had to do was pack and have all my necessary documents to do so. I finally went after I got my passport and I was feeling pretty good. I get to see what I wanted to see as a kid.. While living there, I took care of the house. I eventually got married but it didn't last that long. But while I was there, I took in the sights, saw the people and learned the language (or the essentials) in under a year. I found that learning through pure anime gave me a nice headstart, also I sang a lot of Japanese songs just so I can eventually understand it better. My teachers were so impressed that they couldn't believe an outsider like me would comprehend the language in that short a time. I stayed in Yotsukaido for a year. Yotsukaido is in the Kanto region in Japan and it was a lot like Los Angeles, only smaller. One day, I did something I never thought I could do..I actually went on a journey just for the hell of it. I walked from the house, past the mall until I reached a temple and just did some reflecting there. It awakened the wanderer within myself and I felt excited, it inspired more to do some more writing. It was a four hour walk and I didn't feel the least bit tired. I only stopped for a drink but other than that, not much else. In June 2004, I left Japan on a satisfied note... I found out that while I was getting myself checked out in the states, my 'then' wife had cheated behind my back, she tried to patch things up but I had enough. She also carried my child but it died a stillborn. I saw it as a relief because I didn't want any child of mine to grow up in a loveless relationship with their parents, so I saved it from being born. There was an anime once that I saw that tugged at me so much, I cried. I then wrote a poem in tribute of my unborn child... Fast forward 5 years, I get some notices from the Library of Congress about my works and they're approved as copyrights and then later down the same week, I get an offer to have my books done by a subsidy publishing group, my family and I discussed it with them..worked out the details, signed the contract and copied it for my documents. The book is scheduled to be released in 2011 entitled "The Legacy of the Seven Stars" and the more I put down in my writings, the more excited I get.
330 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/28/10

bigdady166 wrote:


Romeo wrote:

sorry....but i really gotta say this:
it sounds EXTREMELY gay...


but, back to topic:
well, i know how u feel, i think everyone is asking themselves if that's it, if thats truly everything..
i mean, im really happy with my live, having friends, gf, my family, my dog, goin to partys, im goodlooking..i enjoy myself, but yea.. is that it?
there just gotta be more, i mean.. if i look at all the people around me, it seems like.. everyone is just living the same life.. it seems boring and im "afraid" that i'll end up just like them.. but then again, didnt i already?!


I would just like to ask you two simple questions which have no relevance to my topic .
Are you by chance homophobic? What are your thoughts on gay marriage?


why would you ask me that, just cuz i said it sounds gay u think im homophobic?
well, but i have to say..a man kissing another is disgusting, i dont hate those people, but i think its disgusting


my thoughts on gay marriage?
uh thats a hard one, but i guess i'll go with.. GAY



and now i have one simple question which has no relevance to your topic..
do u have..by any chance.. a stick up ur ass? why do u take everything so seriously? i just said it sounds gay..
"oh no.. !!! he's a bad person, lets start a discussion"
..-_-
17344 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Crapsack World
Offline
Posted 4/28/10
If you live in a poor country like Philippines, you'll realized that true happiness cannot be found by material gain alone.
962 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Atlantis Sector 1...
Offline
Posted 4/28/10

Romeo wrote:


bigdady166 wrote:


Romeo wrote:

sorry....but i really gotta say this:
it sounds EXTREMELY gay...


but, back to topic:
well, i know how u feel, i think everyone is asking themselves if that's it, if thats truly everything..
i mean, im really happy with my live, having friends, gf, my family, my dog, goin to partys, im goodlooking..i enjoy myself, but yea.. is that it?
there just gotta be more, i mean.. if i look at all the people around me, it seems like.. everyone is just living the same life.. it seems boring and im "afraid" that i'll end up just like them.. but then again, didnt i already?!


I would just like to ask you two simple questions which have no relevance to my topic .
Are you by chance homophobic? What are your thoughts on gay marriage?


why would you ask me that, just cuz i said it sounds gay u think im homophobic?
well, but i have to say..a man kissing another is disgusting, i dont hate those people, but i think its disgusting


my thoughts on gay marriage?
uh thats a hard one, but i guess i'll go with.. GAY



and now i have one simple question which has no relevance to your topic..
do u have..by any chance.. a stick up ur ass? why do u take everything so seriously? i just said it sounds gay..
"oh no.. !!! he's a bad person, lets start a discussion"
..-_-


Hahaha, trust me, in no way am I trying to make you look like the bad guy. I'm one of those people who swears and uses insulting slurs all the time. In most cases, it always leads me to be viewed as the arrogant asshole. All I was really trying to point out was how we don't need such words when commenting in a negative light. I mean you don't go walking around saying "thats so ni*ger" when stating your opinion do you? (just a guess). Honestly I meant no harm.
330 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/28/10

Maou068 wrote:

If you live in a poor country like Philippines, you'll realized that true happiness cannot be found by material gain alone.


all people can realize that, even if ur not living in a poor country
u can even realize that if u live in usa, germany, italy
its just that those who dont, are just dumbfucks
65814 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / kuwait
Offline
Posted 4/28/10

bigdady166 wrote:


Why do we spend our lives going to school for 18 years in order to pay the bills and build up credit card debt?” I feel like the only reason I go to my classes’ everyday is because I live in fear of what the future would be like if I didn’t. If you could be the happiest man in the world, why bother spending seven hours a day in a stuffy building doing something I didn't want to be doing, with 25 other people who didn't want to be doing it either? I mean, where’s the logic in that? Why do the majorities of us spend the short lives we have going to school, becoming middle class desk jockeys, paying the bills, building our lives around material possessions, retiring, and end up slowing dying in some nursing home because our children won’t take the time and care for us. I feel as if everything I’m doing right now is in order to become some stereotypical product of society which has gradually changed over time, but never ceases to be the accepted standard. If you had one chance to become the happiest person in the world, at the cost of everything material you ever loved, would you take it? Why would there be any hesitation at all? I mean true happiness? Once you were truly happy you would have nothing to worry about. So why spend time worrying about how others see you, having a fancy house, having the latest things in technology? The only reason I’m asking these questions is so people can rethink the way they walk, rethink their state of mind, and rethink how they get up in the morning. Two years ago I set off on a journey. No set plans no were to go, all the time just letting the wind at my back guide me along. I traveled through Africa, and East Asia. I left everything I had once loved behind with my friends and family, the only thing I had were the clothes on my back and one bag. During that time, I had never felt such a feeling in my entire life. It was amazing to me to see people with clothes most people would call rags, playing and laughing with an energy so great, it startled me at first. The immense glow which shown from their eyes when they played, the most peaceful tone of voice in which they spoke almost melted my soul. Yet they had nothing, and would probably never see anything we people who live in modernized world call necessities. During that 2 year exploration I never realized what it meant to be happy; and now that I’m back to living my old life, the old bills, and the things I always thought I needed, I finally realized. Those few years with absolutely nothing, sharing things with people who had nothing at all to share, I can finally say that all the while…..I was drowning in life’s ocean we call happiness.

This is just an experience I had, and only my opinion. Any thoughts, questions, or other stories you guys might have about what happiness is?


I enjoyed reading that....a lot

i always sit in my class thinking about the same thing......why i am doing this? to be some guy doing paper works in some desk for the rest of my life?.......and its true, i am afraid what will happen if i didn't do it..........
330 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/28/10

bigdady166 wrote:


Romeo wrote:


bigdady166 wrote:


Romeo wrote:

sorry....but i really gotta say this:
it sounds EXTREMELY gay...


but, back to topic:
well, i know how u feel, i think everyone is asking themselves if that's it, if thats truly everything..
i mean, im really happy with my live, having friends, gf, my family, my dog, goin to partys, im goodlooking..i enjoy myself, but yea.. is that it?
there just gotta be more, i mean.. if i look at all the people around me, it seems like.. everyone is just living the same life.. it seems boring and im "afraid" that i'll end up just like them.. but then again, didnt i already?!


I would just like to ask you two simple questions which have no relevance to my topic .
Are you by chance homophobic? What are your thoughts on gay marriage?


why would you ask me that, just cuz i said it sounds gay u think im homophobic?
well, but i have to say..a man kissing another is disgusting, i dont hate those people, but i think its disgusting


my thoughts on gay marriage?
uh thats a hard one, but i guess i'll go with.. GAY



and now i have one simple question which has no relevance to your topic..
do u have..by any chance.. a stick up ur ass? why do u take everything so seriously? i just said it sounds gay..
"oh no.. !!! he's a bad person, lets start a discussion"
..-_-


Hahaha, trust me, in no way am I trying to make you look like the bad guy. I'm one of those people who swears and uses insulting slurs all the time. In most cases, it always leads me to be viewed as the arrogant asshole. All I was really trying to point out was how we don't need such words when commenting in a negative light. I mean you don't go walking around saying "thats so ni*ger" when stating your opinion do you? (just a guess). Honestly I meant no harm.


yea, ur probably right, the only thing is.. that im the type of guy who just says whatever comes up his mind and whatever he wants to, i dont look twice at my post to check if its alright and if im not using any bad words, i meant no harm or whatsoever as well, i apologize, i just thought i'd add that ^^ didnt wanna start an argument or anything like that, i mean..
i totally agree on ur first post anyway, so theres no way i could have meant any harm =P sorry again

962 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Atlantis Sector 1...
Offline
Posted 4/28/10

Romeo wrote:


bigdady166 wrote:


Romeo wrote:


bigdady166 wrote:


Romeo wrote:

sorry....but i really gotta say this:
it sounds EXTREMELY gay...


but, back to topic:
well, i know how u feel, i think everyone is asking themselves if that's it, if thats truly everything..
i mean, im really happy with my live, having friends, gf, my family, my dog, goin to partys, im goodlooking..i enjoy myself, but yea.. is that it?
there just gotta be more, i mean.. if i look at all the people around me, it seems like.. everyone is just living the same life.. it seems boring and im "afraid" that i'll end up just like them.. but then again, didnt i already?!


I would just like to ask you two simple questions which have no relevance to my topic .
Are you by chance homophobic? What are your thoughts on gay marriage?


why would you ask me that, just cuz i said it sounds gay u think im homophobic?
well, but i have to say..a man kissing another is disgusting, i dont hate those people, but i think its disgusting


my thoughts on gay marriage?
uh thats a hard one, but i guess i'll go with.. GAY



and now i have one simple question which has no relevance to your topic..
do u have..by any chance.. a stick up ur ass? why do u take everything so seriously? i just said it sounds gay..
"oh no.. !!! he's a bad person, lets start a discussion"
..-_-


Hahaha, trust me, in no way am I trying to make you look like the bad guy. I'm one of those people who swears and uses insulting slurs all the time. In most cases, it always leads me to be viewed as the arrogant asshole. All I was really trying to point out was how we don't need such words when commenting in a negative light. I mean you don't go walking around saying "thats so ni*ger" when stating your opinion do you? (just a guess). Honestly I meant no harm.


yea, ur probably right, the only thing is.. that im the type of guy who just says whatever comes up his mind and whatever he wants to, i dont look twice at my post to check if its alright and if im not using any bad words, i meant no harm or whatsoever as well, i apologize, i just thought i'd add that ^^ didnt wanna start an argument or anything like that, i mean..
i totally agree on ur first post anyway, so theres no way i could have meant any harm =P sorry again



Haha no problem, glad we are on the same page.
213 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / bay area, California
Offline
Posted 4/28/10
with that i both agree and disagree. Its a real gray area because everybody has their different view of "Happiness." as for me, my view of happiness is living a life with a woman I've fallen for, the kids we have, and as comfortably as a family can live. I dont need to be rich, just have enough money to provide for my family and the future of my family. You see, my view of happiness requires the essential material things.

But i do see your point. I feel most at peace by myself when im in a natural setting whether it be camping, visiting the ocean, or just taking a hike. And those don't require material things, but the bigger picture still remains the same.

I feel the only way i will be able to die happy is knowing i did a good job as a husband, father, and provider, and knowing they will be allright without me.
330 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/28/10

bigdady166 wrote:


Romeo wrote:


bigdady166 wrote:


Romeo wrote:


bigdady166 wrote:


Romeo wrote:

sorry....but i really gotta say this:
it sounds EXTREMELY gay...


but, back to topic:
well, i know how u feel, i think everyone is asking themselves if that's it, if thats truly everything..
i mean, im really happy with my live, having friends, gf, my family, my dog, goin to partys, im goodlooking..i enjoy myself, but yea.. is that it?
there just gotta be more, i mean.. if i look at all the people around me, it seems like.. everyone is just living the same life.. it seems boring and im "afraid" that i'll end up just like them.. but then again, didnt i already?!


I would just like to ask you two simple questions which have no relevance to my topic .
Are you by chance homophobic? What are your thoughts on gay marriage?


why would you ask me that, just cuz i said it sounds gay u think im homophobic?
well, but i have to say..a man kissing another is disgusting, i dont hate those people, but i think its disgusting


my thoughts on gay marriage?
uh thats a hard one, but i guess i'll go with.. GAY



and now i have one simple question which has no relevance to your topic..
do u have..by any chance.. a stick up ur ass? why do u take everything so seriously? i just said it sounds gay..
"oh no.. !!! he's a bad person, lets start a discussion"
..-_-


Hahaha, trust me, in no way am I trying to make you look like the bad guy. I'm one of those people who swears and uses insulting slurs all the time. In most cases, it always leads me to be viewed as the arrogant asshole. All I was really trying to point out was how we don't need such words when commenting in a negative light. I mean you don't go walking around saying "thats so ni*ger" when stating your opinion do you? (just a guess). Honestly I meant no harm.


yea, ur probably right, the only thing is.. that im the type of guy who just says whatever comes up his mind and whatever he wants to, i dont look twice at my post to check if its alright and if im not using any bad words, i meant no harm or whatsoever as well, i apologize, i just thought i'd add that ^^ didnt wanna start an argument or anything like that, i mean..
i totally agree on ur first post anyway, so theres no way i could have meant any harm =P sorry again



Haha no problem, glad we are on the same page.


yep
17344 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Crapsack World
Offline
Posted 4/28/10

Romeo wrote:


Maou068 wrote:

If you live in a poor country like Philippines, you'll realized that true happiness cannot be found by material gain alone.


all people can realize that, even if ur not living in a poor country
u can even realize that if u live in usa, germany, italy
its just that those who dont, are just dumbfucks


That's certainly true but the fact that most 1st world countries like the one that you've mentioned are drowned by their consummated pleasure seeking tendencies (most of them anyway). In other words, they are drowned by false happiness.

Moreover, 1st world countries are more likely to have a weak family bond which made their lives even more miserable. Which is why Americans are beginning to learn from the Chinese about family bonds.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.