First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
What is a soul?
2319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / where the grass i...
Offline
Posted 5/16/10

DerfelCadarn wrote:


alupihan45 wrote:

if you will compare it to a computer, a soul is like an operating system. You may have all the hardware (physical body), softwares (intellectual part) but all of it works because of an OS


The striking difference, however, is that we have empirically observed computers and so we know they exist.


if that is the case, scientist empirically observes the soul too. (refers to psychology)
8742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Scotland, Aberdeen
Offline
Posted 5/16/10 , edited 5/16/10

alupihan45 wrote:


DerfelCadarn wrote:


alupihan45 wrote:

if you will compare it to a computer, a soul is like an operating system. You may have all the hardware (physical body), softwares (intellectual part) but all of it works because of an OS


The striking difference, however, is that we have empirically observed computers and so we know they exist.


if that is the case, scientist empirically observes the soul too. (refers to psychology)


What, you mean parapsychology or something akin to it? That isn't a branch of science.
2319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / where the grass i...
Offline
Posted 5/17/10
no. psychology itself. if that is not a branch of science then i don't know what it is....maybe some religion?
10652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Indonesia Raya
Offline
Posted 5/17/10
There's a study about soul or mind in general that only acting in spiritual world called Noetic Theory. The theory of noetics centers around the idea that the human mind is capable of affecting or even doing work to the physical world. It is suggested that thought and spirit are not in fact imaginary. It hasn't been proven yet, you gotta love the theory by reading Dan Brown's newest book. I'm not advertising or promoting something btw ~..~
1394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 5/17/10

alupihan45 wrote:

no. psychology itself. if that is not a branch of science then i don't know what it is....maybe some religion?


Psychology is the study of the human mind, love, not soul.
2319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / where the grass i...
Offline
Posted 5/17/10 , edited 5/17/10

orangeflute wrote:


alupihan45 wrote:

no. psychology itself. if that is not a branch of science then i don't know what it is....maybe some religion?


Psychology is the study of the human mind, love, not soul.


Love?! lol that made my day. no offense. *imagines Erik Ericson giving love advice* I've got to make my friends see this

a mind and "love" are things that are hard to define and cannot be touch, see, smell, hear or taste so in the empiricist point of view it is not existing and same goes for soul.

We cannot see it but it can be manifested in a way our senses can understand.
55186 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M
Offline
Posted 5/17/10 , edited 5/18/10
Oh thank God no one quoted Ghost in the Shell. As for The moronic illogical comment; a true scientist does not discount any posibility before the facts are all in. Or do you still believe the Earth is the center of the universe and everything revolves around you.

One of the laws of physics states energy/matter can not be created or destroyed; it can only be transfered. Though science has shown us how life is started and how it ends but we don't understand the "Why" of it. Where does that energy come from or go? Do we transend to an other plane of existance? If it is a all just a brazzen lie then it has been entertaining us from the begining of time. But if you think about it if there is a soul to be found and there is some other part to life as we know it I would want to see it.

With our limited understanding of the universe; we have been quick to jump on the easy way out and not look for the true answers. But from time to time we see the little pices that point us in the right direction. And some time the answer we find is wrong for no other reason then you having not seen it with your own eyes.

Is there such a thing as a soul? I am not sure. Is there an afterlife? I am not sure. Is there a God or some higher being? I am not sure. The only thing I am sure of is when time come we all have to take that step alone and afraid. After that it is anyone's guess.

I say find your own answer becuse no one's answer with feel right or give you what ou need.
8742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Scotland, Aberdeen
Offline
Posted 5/18/10 , edited 5/18/10

alupihan45 wrote:


orangeflute wrote:


alupihan45 wrote:

no. psychology itself. if that is not a branch of science then i don't know what it is....maybe some religion?


Psychology is the study of the human mind, love, not soul.


Love?! lol that made my day. no offense. *imagines Erik Ericson giving love advice* I've got to make my friends see this

a mind and "love" are things that are hard to define and cannot be touch, see, smell, hear or taste so in the empiricist point of view it is not existing and same goes for soul.

We cannot see it but it can be manifested in a way our senses can understand.


Most probably you have been addressed as 'love'. The lack of 'and' between 'mind' and 'love' seems to suggest it. I may be wrong, of course.
2319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / where the grass i...
Offline
Posted 5/18/10

DerfelCadarn wrote:


alupihan45 wrote:


orangeflute wrote:


alupihan45 wrote:

no. psychology itself. if that is not a branch of science then i don't know what it is....maybe some religion?


Psychology is the study of the human mind, love, not soul.


Love?! lol that made my day. no offense. *imagines Erik Ericson giving love advice* I've got to make my friends see this

a mind and "love" are things that are hard to define and cannot be touch, see, smell, hear or taste so in the empiricist point of view it is not existing and same goes for soul.

We cannot see it but it can be manifested in a way our senses can understand.


Most probably you have been addressed as 'love'. The lack of 'and' between 'mind' and 'love' seems to suggest it. I may be wrong, of course.


lol. he may say that. You may be right but i wish you are wrong because if you are right, that is just so wrong man calling another man "love"? i sense fujoshi around here
1394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 5/18/10 , edited 5/18/10

alupihan45 wrote:


orangeflute wrote:


alupihan45 wrote:

no. psychology itself. if that is not a branch of science then i don't know what it is....maybe some religion?


Psychology is the study of the human mind, love, not soul.


Love?! lol that made my day. no offense. *imagines Erik Ericson giving love advice* I've got to make my friends see this

a mind and "love" are things that are hard to define and cannot be touch, see, smell, hear or taste so in the empiricist point of view it is not existing and same goes for soul.

We cannot see it but it can be manifested in a way our senses can understand.


Would you rather have me call you 'dear' or 'madam'... wait a minute...your a man? I feel like that night in the hotel all over again. Oh God, the memories.
1394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 5/18/10
'Twas like the Crying Game, only without the dress and with bigger Shlongs. Oy Vey, I really need a drink now.
17892 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 5/18/10 , edited 5/18/10

Espada-01 wrote:

Oh thank God no one quoted Ghost in the Shell. As for The moronic illogical comment; a true scientist does not discount any posibility before the facts are all in. Or do you still believe the Earth is the center of the universe and everything revolves around you.

One of the laws of physics states energy/matter can not be created or destroyed; it can only be transfered. Though science has shown us how life is started and how it ends but we don't understand the "Why" of it. Where does that energy come from or go? Do we transend to an other plane of existance? If it is a all just a brazzen lie then it has been entertaining us from the begining of time. But if you think about it if there is a soul to be found and there is some other part to life as we know it I would want to see it.

With our limited understanding of the universe; we have been quick to jump on the easy way out and not look for the true answers. But from time to time we see the little pices that point us in the right direction. And some time the answer we find is wrong for no other reason then you having not seen it with your own eyes.

Is there such a thing as a soul? I am not sure. Is there an afterlife? I am not sure. Is there a God or some higher being? I am not sure. The only thing I am sure of is when time come we all have to take that step alone and afraid. After that it is anyone's guess.

I say find your own answer becuse no one's answer with feel right or give you what ou need.



To answer the Why... I say Why Not?

Why does their need to be a deep meaning behind why we are here, wen science shows how we came to be.

Could the why be all planets have the possibility of life, its just that only a few trillion are just more likely to have life start on them.

as of now we have found over 50 earth like planets around other stars.. So to you I say to your why, why not we had everything we needed for life to start is it so odd that life to get started wen we had the time for it to happen? Its not like life is something rare in the galaxy. He have found life in the giant ice rocks in space that form the asteroid belt. We have found world much like are own.. The odds of their being no life is lot less than their being life.

Nice agnostic view but it is not the scientific view.
If we can not find evidence for something we dismiss it as nothing but a unproven hypothesis.
That means we do not say there could be, we say no to it as an idea, till time new evidence is found, than we give it another chance, but till then No we do not claim something is possible if their is no evidence for it. (just speaking to you from a scientist point of view.)




1394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 5/18/10

alupihan45 wrote:

no. psychology itself. if that is not a branch of science then i don't know what it is....maybe some religion?


The point still stands, that the soul is a seperate entity from the mind, as conjectured by most religion, because the mind is simply, by definition, a collections of thoughts and memories, and psychology is simply the studies of how it works.
1394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 5/18/10

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Espada-01 wrote:

Oh thank God no one quoted Ghost in the Shell. As for The moronic illogical comment; a true scientist does not discount any posibility before the facts are all in. Or do you still believe the Earth is the center of the universe and everything revolves around you.

One of the laws of physics states energy/matter can not be created or destroyed; it can only be transfered. Though science has shown us how life is started and how it ends but we don't understand the "Why" of it. Where does that energy come from or go? Do we transend to an other plane of existance? If it is a all just a brazzen lie then it has been entertaining us from the begining of time. But if you think about it if there is a soul to be found and there is some other part to life as we know it I would want to see it.

With our limited understanding of the universe; we have been quick to jump on the easy way out and not look for the true answers. But from time to time we see the little pices that point us in the right direction. And some time the answer we find is wrong for no other reason then you having not seen it with your own eyes.

Is there such a thing as a soul? I am not sure. Is there an afterlife? I am not sure. Is there a God or some higher being? I am not sure. The only thing I am sure of is when time come we all have to take that step alone and afraid. After that it is anyone's guess.

I say find your own answer becuse no one's answer with feel right or give you what ou need.



To answer the Why... I say Why Not?

Why does their need to be a deep meaning behind why we are here, wen science shows how we came to be.

Could the why be all planets have the possibility of life, its just that only a few trillion are just more likely to have life start on them.

as of now we have found over 50 earth like planets around other stars.. So to you I say to your why, why not we had everything we needed for life to start is it so odd that life to get started wen we had the time for it to happen? Its not like life is something rare in the galaxy. He have found life in the giant ice rocks in space that form the asteroid belt. We have found world much like are own.. The odds of their being no life is lot less than their being life.

Nice agnostic view but it is not the scientific view.
If we can not find evidence for something we dismiss it as nothing but a unproven hypothesis.
That means we do not say there could be, we say no to it as an idea, till time new evidence is found, than we give it another chance, but till then No we do not claim something is possible if their is no evidence for it. (just speaking to you from a scientist point of view.)






Oh, damn you and that fiend, Urizen. Why are we on this earth in our being, rather than on another world in the flesh of another? What is the purpose that we exist for? All those questions, cliched snice time immemorial, are either not answered by science or brushed off as simply silly and illogical questions to ask (and maybe it is), but that is not a something to stop humans from wondering these.
Posted 5/18/10
The paradox for those who want to objectively prove the existence of the human soul, is the fact that they'll always be subjective towards their opinion/belief/theory about the human soul, due to a lack of justification when they can't even prove to themselves that they each posess this so-called soul.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.