Whatever happened to Moderates?
1394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 5/7/10 , edited 5/7/10
When the election came around, it was always about the moderates, how they will determine everything, &c. &c. Now, all we see are people who either think that hell has come upon the earth with the election of President Obama, or people who think that everything is all sunshine and flowers upon the same event. Did they magically disappear? Did this species assimiliated into the extemes?
63396 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
50 / M / California
Offline
Posted 5/7/10

orangeflute wrote:

When the election came around, it was always about the moderates, how they will determine everything, &c. &c. Now, all we see are people who either think that hell has come upon the earth with the election of President Obama, or people who think that everything is all sunshine and flowers upon the same event. Did they magically disappear? Did this species assimiliated into the extemes?

Moderates don't buy the extremist line from all sides of the political spectrum so therefore they are now ignored by media. Screaming extremists are the bread and butter of media since they make so much better copy than than thoughtful, considerate debate. There are just as many moderate folks out there as ever; even if you don't see them.

Consider this, if you had a tv show to do are you going to pick an extremist nutjob who will do ANYTHING in front of the camera to grind their axe in public or are you going to spend time looking for someone who will be reasonable and won't act like a jackass in front of the cameras and is frankly dull? Nope it is WAY easier to find two opposing foaming at the mouth rabid extremists, set them to screaming at each other and claim your reporting is "balanced".

These are my off the cuff observations about your question.

2270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Plato's allegoric...
Offline
Posted 5/7/10
Exactly want BaraTwoSwords said IMO. Moderates are being ignored by most media outlets in favor of the more colorful characters. The far left and the far right are bickering at each other and the media can't get enough of it. Pretty entertaining stuff, I must say, even though it's screwing and confusing most of us.
Posted 5/7/10
The Moderates never existed. We have been in a perpetual state of fail for thousands of years. All we are doing is looking for a place to deposit our garbage. This planet is the first (obviously) Mars will be next. Where else? Jupiter? That would be interesting to make what we think is a failed star into a floating mass of used plastic.

Sounds like a good plan to me, since I am a Moderate.
26184 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Chicago
Offline
Posted 5/7/10
A lot of people call themselves Moderates, but I think it's pretty hard to truly be one. Everyone ends up swinging towards a side.

Though, with the way this administration is just systematically destroying everything America stands for, it's like anyone involved in politics (left or right) has got to be going crazy.
13258 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / O.C. So.Cal
Offline
Posted 5/8/10
Being too conservative makes you a jackass and being too open-minded makes your brain fall out.
1394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 5/9/10

LemonyPanda wrote:

Being too conservative makes you a jackass and being too open-minded makes your brain fall out.


Hey! Hey! I take offence at that! I'm a very open minded person! I have had big and think things in places I don't want to mention, I did exotic things with exotic people with exotic taste! I demand an apology!
8343 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 5/9/10
i think most people, simply by definition, are naturally moderate, perhaps even sharing both liberal and conservatives views from issue to issue. however, i agree that the mainstream media has greatly influenced peoples natural desires through the sensationalist play of the extreme left against the extreme right. if you take any president, prime minister or other head of state and measure their ideology against that of the mainstream, i do believe the politician would in each case be excessively left or right of the populous.

well then how do these men and women get elected if there is such a disconnect?

one reason, by and large, only the most politically inclined of people vote, where as the majority of peoples do not. two, those who are politically minded often have more radical leanings and firey passion. three, the media portrays the zeal of the minority as representing that of the majority. four, the casual voter will choose the lesser of two evils, niether which represent the moderate's point of view, perhaps the candidate with the most political momentum or popularity.

so i think that moderates exist, but they do not know they are moderate since the media indoctrinates them with the false choice of left or right.
13258 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / O.C. So.Cal
Offline
Posted 5/9/10 , edited 5/9/10

orangeflute wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:

Being too conservative makes you a jackass and being too open-minded makes your brain fall out.


Hey! Hey! I take offence at that! I'm a very open minded person! I have had big and think things in places I don't want to mention, I did exotic things with exotic people with exotic taste! I demand an apology!


As long as you don't support illegal immigration or not support the war on terror, i got no beef with u
1394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 5/9/10

LemonyPanda wrote:


orangeflute wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:

Being too conservative makes you a jackass and being too open-minded makes your brain fall out.


Hey! Hey! I take offence at that! I'm a very open minded person! I have had big and think things in places I don't want to mention, I did exotic things with exotic people with exotic taste! I demand an apology!


As long as you don't support illegal immigration i got no beef with u


I totally support illegal immigration! I once went to Homedepot and picked up several people who did not immigrat to this country legally and did pretty stimulating things with them. Needless to say, I had to call in sick for a week because I couldn't walk.
13258 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / O.C. So.Cal
Offline
Posted 5/9/10

orangeflute wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:


orangeflute wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:

Being too conservative makes you a jackass and being too open-minded makes your brain fall out.


Hey! Hey! I take offence at that! I'm a very open minded person! I have had big and think things in places I don't want to mention, I did exotic things with exotic people with exotic taste! I demand an apology!


As long as you don't support illegal immigration i got no beef with u


I totally support illegal immigration! I once went to Homedepot and picked up several people who did not immigrat to this country legally and did pretty stimulating things with them. Needless to say, I had to call in sick for a week because I couldn't walk.


This is why I still stand by my original statement
1394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 5/10/10

LemonyPanda wrote:


orangeflute wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:


orangeflute wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:

Being too conservative makes you a jackass and being too open-minded makes your brain fall out.


Hey! Hey! I take offence at that! I'm a very open minded person! I have had big and think things in places I don't want to mention, I did exotic things with exotic people with exotic taste! I demand an apology!


As long as you don't support illegal immigration i got no beef with u


I totally support illegal immigration! I once went to Homedepot and picked up several people who did not immigrat to this country legally and did pretty stimulating things with them. Needless to say, I had to call in sick for a week because I couldn't walk.


This is why I still stand by my original statement


You should try it sometimes.
13258 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / O.C. So.Cal
Offline
Posted 5/10/10

orangeflute wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:


orangeflute wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:


orangeflute wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:

Being too conservative makes you a jackass and being too open-minded makes your brain fall out.


Hey! Hey! I take offence at that! I'm a very open minded person! I have had big and think things in places I don't want to mention, I did exotic things with exotic people with exotic taste! I demand an apology!


As long as you don't support illegal immigration i got no beef with u


I totally support illegal immigration! I once went to Homedepot and picked up several people who did not immigrat to this country legally and did pretty stimulating things with them. Needless to say, I had to call in sick for a week because I couldn't walk.


This is why I still stand by my original statement


You should try it sometimes.

I'd like to have my butthole used only for shitting thanks
You must be logged in to post.