First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
It's called "anime" no pluralization required.
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 5/23/10

superluccix wrote:

I guess its cuz since if you say anime it could mean 1 or more, they want to make it easier to understand by adding an s


That makes no sense at all.
Anime is anime

Animes is not a word.. wen I see a kid use Animes I can not help my self but tell him if he thinks he is a fan, he should at least understand the words he is using.

Words like Anime: animeeshun the Japanese word for Animation. (its a cartoon kids. Get over it, your not going to die because some one pointed out that fact.)
Otaku : A pathetic soul with no life who dedicates his hole existence to his hobby, can be football nut, gaming nerd, Porn freak!, or Cartoon loser.
Manga: Japanese comic book or books, Can be a short novels as well.


Use the words right or you don't need to use them at all.
49925 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 5/23/10

riderkuuga wrote:

Not to be a grammar douche, but does anyone else find it annoying when people call the plural of anime, "animes"? Or the do you draw anime threads. Unless you are an animator you don't. Comics are manga. The plural also being manga. My grammar isn't perfect, but seriously! Reading is fundamental folks.


I agree totally, but i hate it even more when people mispronounce the words manga and anime.
3873 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / ☻☺
Offline
Posted 5/23/10
I've never mentioned the word "animes" but seriously, to make a thread just for this?! oh please.
47115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Arnold Maryland
Offline
Posted 5/23/10 , edited 5/23/10
Well I dont know any words where the same exact word can mean 1 OR many things. Like Mouse becomes Mice to mean plural. But anime becomes anime to mean more than 1 thing? I would never criticize someone who says anime's. Sure someone can probably figure out if they mean 1 or 2 animes by the sentence...but does it really hurt to add an s on the end? And telling someone they aren't an anime fan due to not adding an s on the end of anime is stupid in my opinion. Now maybe I do know words that can be used the exact same way tomean multiple things but I cant remember it. So hey who knows. All I KNOW is that complaining that someone has put an s on the end of anime is just.......so trivial a matter.

Well heres an example of me trying to show a confusion.

"I like the anime." Ok normally you would think its talking about 1 anime....but hey due to the definition...anime could mean a bunch
"I like the mice." Mouse gets changed to mice. No s is added.

Now lets say this is on Youtube on a video and a comment before the "I like the anime." was "Working!! and Angel Beats! are funny." "I like the anime." If you just read the 'I like the anime.", you would think it meant one....but if u read what was said before...it would show u otherwise. Now of course I bet yall are thinking..."Well anyone can read what came before it so wtf are you talking about?" Well was if this was Youtube and the first comment was made on the first page and the comment that was responding to it was on page 5? A person reading the 2nd comment wouldn't know what it entailed.

If the person reads "I like the anime." just by itself...he would probably think that they are talking about the anime that the video is currently showing.
But if the comment read "I like the anime's." Then the person who reads it would then know the conversation was talking about more than 1 anime and would most likely go through the pages to find the 1st comment to see what he said.

This was my attempt to show you a confusion, hope you can understand
57064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Ca. 250 miles fro...
Offline
Posted 5/24/10
Fist I have to say it is really fun to see people that try to defend using s at the end of anime to define anime as multiple and not just one


superluccix wrote:

Well I dont know any words where the same exact word can mean 1 OR many things. Like Mouse becomes Mice to mean plural. But anime becomes anime to mean more than 1 thing? I would never criticize someone who says anime's. Sure someone can probably figure out if they mean 1 or 2 animes by the sentence...but does it really hurt to add an s on the end? And telling someone they aren't an anime fan due to not adding an s on the end of anime is stupid in my opinion. Now maybe I do know words that can be used the exact same way tomean multiple things but I cant remember it. So hey who knows. All I KNOW is that complaining that someone has put an s on the end of anime is just.......so trivial a matter.

Well heres an example of me trying to show a confusion.

"I like the anime." Ok normally you would think its talking about 1 anime....but hey due to the definition...anime could mean a bunch
"I like the mice." Mouse gets changed to mice. No s is added.

Now lets say this is on Youtube on a video and a comment before the "I like the anime." was "Working!! and Angel Beats! are funny." "I like the anime." If you just read the 'I like the anime.", you would think it meant one....but if u read what was said before...it would show u otherwise. Now of course I bet yall are thinking..."Well anyone can read what came before it so wtf are you talking about?" Well was if this was Youtube and the first comment was made on the first page and the comment that was responding to it was on page 5? A person reading the 2nd comment wouldn't know what it entailed.

If the person reads "I like the anime." just by itself...he would probably think that they are talking about the anime that the video is currently showing.
But if the comment read "I like the anime's." Then the person who reads it would then know the conversation was talking about more than 1 anime and would most likely go through the pages to find the 1st comment to see what he said.

This was my attempt to show you a confusion, hope you can understand


First, when you write anime's this indicate that what you are writing is anime is

Secondly, if the comment to a video and a sentence that deals with one anime each, "I like the anime" would indicate either one of them as the person posting did not specify, "I like that anime" would more clearly indicate that the person is trying to comment on the latest comment.
In other words as one is a video and the other is a reference to an anime, the comment to the video should be "I like the video" for the video and "I like the anime" for the anime. But all you can do is guess as it was not you that wrote such simple minded line as "I like the anime" or you can ask the person who wrote it. I would roll my eyes and ignore or point it out and laugh at the person, but that is just me

Thritly, you state "Sure someone can probably figure out if they mean 1 or 2 animes by the sentence" but the fact is that all can do this, just Form the sentence correctly and it is easy to see for all, like "sure some can probably figure out if the mean one anime or more then one anime by the sentance" eliminating the probability of doubt and not adding a pointless needless s

(got less to do about the quote)
Fourthly, As anime also is plural you therefor can use words to state your meaning of anime, be it either single or plural, if one have literacy I can understand it is hard, but with practice it is manageable to understand and deal with this

If one is enlighten by reading that anime is plural and you learn how to proper use it, then you have learned, if you come across this and are ignorant and decide not to learn, well then you are ignorant...

If time is your enemy, use that anime for one, and those anime for multiple, and to specify use the name of the anime


Grammar is what makes the world go around :D

Stick and stone may break my bones, but a pen will go nicely in your carotid artery
47115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Arnold Maryland
Offline
Posted 5/24/10 , edited 5/24/10
In response to what your Second statement says. No one who watches an anime video of an episode will say "I like this video." They will say anime because....well no one says I like this video. And you just pointed out why people would put an s at the end. You said " "I like the anime" would indicate either one of them as the person posting did not specify," EXACTLY, its because there wasnt any clear way to see without searching through the pages.....that if the person said "I like the animes"....it would be clear as day...regardless if its grammatically correct. Therefore that person saved time. You said " "I like that anime" would more clearly indicate that the person is trying to comment on the latest comment." Umm...well what im about to say really isnt that important but....I can tell you right now that the comment would most likely not be intended for the latest comment...its usually a couple comments or even pages away....but then again its not important. "In other words as one is a video and the other is a reference to an anime, the comment to the video should be "I like the video" for the video and "I like the anime" for the anime"....No....who would ever say "I like the video" to an anime episode? They dont like the video...they like the anime..(God this is such a pointless debate, tho I am stubborn.)


Thritly, you state "Sure someone can probably figure out if they mean 1 or 2 animes by the sentence" but the fact is that all can do this, just Form the sentence correctly and it is easy to see for all, like "sure some can probably figure out if the mean one anime or more then one anime by the sentance" eliminating the probability of doubt and not adding a pointless needless s

Yes...like I just said in the sentence you quoted me on.....if the sentence structure is clearly shown...without any digging through pages...then YES, anyone can figure it out...ANYONE. But I gave an example of where the comment that was being responded too was not shown...therefore making it difficult.



Anyway, the bottom line is this. Adding s to the end of anime does NOT hurt....it only irritates people who like to be perfect with grammar.
Adding an s on the end can only help clarify...it has no negatives...and only positives. But yes, the correct way to say it, both singular and plural is anime.

But I think I came off as a person who wants to force my ways....and I really am not trying to. Im just trying to attempt to give a tiny reason as to why people do it. Hope yall can understand

75975 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / boku no hero univ...
Offline
Posted 5/24/10
Actually, that bugs me too^.^I say anime~~
1196 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / By the AC
Offline
Posted 5/24/10
I do find it a bit annoying, but now that I skimmed over some of the comments others have made, I think some are a bit overreacting right now. A topic was not needed to be made over "anime" vs "animes."
I do know foreigners are not good with english so it shouldn't matter if one uses anime or animes.
So animes purpose is just to clarify how many for others. And this is off topic but does anyone find it even a bit annoying when someone calls anime cartoons? Yes, I know they are technically cartoons, but I don't like to classify something that good as cartoons.
47115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Arnold Maryland
Offline
Posted 5/24/10

PepsiCat wrote:

I do find it a bit annoying, but now that I skimmed over some of the comments others have made, I think some are a bit overreacting right now. A topic was not needed to be made over "anime" vs "animes."
I do know foreigners are not good with english so it shouldn't matter if one uses anime or animes.
So animes purpose is just to clarify how many for others. And this is off topic but does anyone find it even a bit annoying when someone calls anime cartoons? Yes, I know they are technically cartoons, but I don't like to classify something that good as cartoons.


Yea, Im not sure on what entails a true cartoon or what not but I do dislike people calling animes cartoons. When I think of putting an anime I like in the same category as Bugs Bunny...I shudder.

85312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Colorado, USA
Offline
Posted 5/24/10
Indeed when I hear it spoken that way, a lot of my attention shifts to that grammatical error. But I control myself and let it be most of the time. This matter of pluralizing is true of all Japanese. While there are a lot of people who can handle not pluralizing "anime" or "Pokemon", it seems that a lot of people who are on that side will still fail and say "katanas". Katana are of this style too, but I've seen too many hypocrites thus I've given up.
1196 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / By the AC
Offline
Posted 5/24/10

superluccix wrote:


PepsiCat wrote:

I do find it a bit annoying, but now that I skimmed over some of the comments others have made, I think some are a bit overreacting right now. A topic was not needed to be made over "anime" vs "animes."
I do know foreigners are not good with english so it shouldn't matter if one uses anime or animes.
So animes purpose is just to clarify how many for others. And this is off topic but does anyone find it even a bit annoying when someone calls anime cartoons? Yes, I know they are technically cartoons, but I don't like to classify something that good as cartoons.


Yea, Im not sure on what entails a true cartoon or what not but I do dislike people calling animes cartoons. When I think of putting an anime I like in the same category as Bugs Bunny...I shudder.



Oh, that does make me shudder as well. To add onto that, I find cartoons as a completely different design style along with most anime being less..comedy-like. Some are built around comedy, I know that much, but do you know what I mean? More fantasy stuff that's just...better.
57062 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M
Offline
Posted 5/24/10

superluccix wrote:

I guess its cuz since if you say anime it could mean 1 or more, they want to make it easier to understand by adding an s




I didn't think people would get so heated over a pet peeve of mine, but I think that superluccix should abstain from making any comments on grammar, foreign or otherwise. "because" and "since" are synonyms by the way....lol
47115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Arnold Maryland
Offline
Posted 5/24/10
If I truly wished to speak 100% grammar, I would. But alas, I like shortening my sentences, since its easier for me and still gets the point across. Please don't think I type that way because I don't know how to. Heck I would have thought it would be obvious.
9312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Over there
Offline
Posted 5/24/10
Oh noes the horror, what to do!? :S


57062 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M
Offline
Posted 5/24/10
I love the way you help me make my point...lol
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.