First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Pollution in China?
Posted 1/4/08

MengQiao wrote:

Pollution in China has gotten even worse during the past few years. It's so bad that you can barely see the sun. The air is hard to breathe and many people are wearing masks. If this continues what will happen to China in the future?? What about pollution in general, anyone else worried??


Did you read this from somewhere? Well, mostly it isn't true. Because through these years China cut down on pollutions, the rivers & air quality has improved. Well, my relatives live in different parts of China, they didn't encounter any of this at all.
6601 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Not Telling
Offline
Posted 1/4/08

stareye_pink wrote:


MengQiao wrote:

Pollution in China has gotten even worse during the past few years. It's so bad that you can barely see the sun. The air is hard to breathe and many people are wearing masks. If this continues what will happen to China in the future?? What about pollution in general, anyone else worried??


Did you read this from somewhere? Well, mostly it isn't true. Because through these years China cut down on pollutions, the rivers & air quality has improved. Well, my relatives live in different parts of China, they didn't encounter any of this at all.


I just got back from Beijing China. It's true that there are areas in China that are less polluted because of trees an such. Then again since Beijing is the capitol it's bound to have more pollution. apparently the government is now paying farmers money to plant trees to help the enviorment. That's not a good sign.............
Posted 1/4/08

MengQiao wrote:


stareye_pink wrote:


MengQiao wrote:

Pollution in China has gotten even worse during the past few years. It's so bad that you can barely see the sun. The air is hard to breathe and many people are wearing masks. If this continues what will happen to China in the future?? What about pollution in general, anyone else worried??


Did you read this from somewhere? Well, mostly it isn't true. Because through these years China cut down on pollutions, the rivers & air quality has improved. Well, my relatives live in different parts of China, they didn't encounter any of this at all.


I just got back from Beijing China. It's true that there are areas in China that are less polluted because of trees an such. Then again since Beijing is the capitol it's bound to have more pollution. apparently the government is now paying farmers money to plant trees to help the enviorment. That's not a good sign.............



Yepp, i agree with you with the capital, my aunt lives there. The air quality is not so good, but the rest are still okay. What i mean was you oversized the situation & makes people think that China is some shyt, where it's not that bad as you said.
2119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / southern ontario
Offline
Posted 1/4/08


Nope, no problems with pollution in china

Yes, China has a pollution problem. With a huge population, and an ever increasing industrial sector, yes China is going to have a large problem. Over 500 million people don't even have access to clean drinking water. Satellite images even show a haze over Beijing (boy is that going to look good during the Olympics)

Every country that has become a major economic power has gone through growing pains (which effect the environment) and China is no different.

Just wait till your usage of coal as your main power supply causes major acid rain and the air pollution kills thousands more every year (which already causes 100s of thousands of deaths each year)


But to make myself clear, I am not saying China is shit, just the way its going, your making yourselves a lot of problems in the near future.
6601 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Not Telling
Offline
Posted 1/4/08

stareye_pink wrote:


MengQiao wrote:


stareye_pink wrote:


MengQiao wrote:

Pollution in China has gotten even worse during the past few years. It's so bad that you can barely see the sun. The air is hard to breathe and many people are wearing masks. If this continues what will happen to China in the future?? What about pollution in general, anyone else worried??


Did you read this from somewhere? Well, mostly it isn't true. Because through these years China cut down on pollutions, the rivers & air quality has improved. Well, my relatives live in different parts of China, they didn't encounter any of this at all.


I just got back from Beijing China. It's true that there are areas in China that are less polluted because of trees an such. Then again since Beijing is the capitol it's bound to have more pollution. apparently the government is now paying farmers money to plant trees to help the enviorment. That's not a good sign.............



Yepp, i agree with you with the capital, my aunt lives there. The air quality is not so good, but the rest are still okay. What i mean was you oversized the situation & makes people think that China is some shyt, where it's not that bad as you said.



Overly dramatic right?? K, I get it. Thanks for telling me!!

Posted 1/4/08
Yes, pollution in China is pretty horrible. China is basically going through an industrial revolution and when that happens people tend to not give a damn about the environment. Yes there is pollution in the US but it isn't nearly as bad because the US has the money to afford better environmental protection measures and enforce regulations. While the US is criticized over CO2 emissions, there really isn't a lot of toxic waste floating around in the US and most if not all coal-burning plants have scrubbers.

China has serious problems enforcing things like environmental regulations even when they exist. Check out the documentary "China Rising" by CBC (Canadian broadcasting) where there's a segment on water pollution. Generally companies in China can more easily get away with dumping toxic waste in populated waterways whereas in the US the same companies would be shut down immediately by regulators.

China may get more polluted before things get better because of lack of "standardization" and public accountability in government. It will probably take some number of large disasters before things start to really get taken seriously, and even then you'll probably see some provinces where regulations are tight and the place is clean, but others where all the officials are taking bribes and the place is a waste pit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environment_of_China

Oh, regarding CO2:


On June 19, 2007, the Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency announced, based on an analysis of fossil fuel consumption (including specially the coal power plants) and cement production data, that China surpassed the United States as the world's largest emitter of carbon dioxide, putting out 6,200 million tons, to America's 5,800 million.


And their GDP is actually 10-20% lower than the US's, meaning that they're generating more CO2 per unit of GDP currently. I'm not really trying to bash China over CO2, but I'm just sick of people trying to make it out like the US is to blame for all the CO2. Note that the Kyoto Protocol doesn't require that China lower CO2 emissions at all. The UN is worthless.
4713 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / someeeeeeeee wher...
Offline
Posted 1/4/08
population in china is to high and i give them Good Luck in the future
7281 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Mars
Offline
Posted 1/4/08
wow, really? you cant see the sun anymore how come??/
15809 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/4/08
First reaction when I saw the topic title
No shit

I remember flying to Guangzhou years ago and after descending from the clear blue skies down into the clouds which were masking the city.... everything was yellow
Everytime I go back there, I get sick really quickly since I'm not used to the environment.

What can you do? China has heaps of factories.
Think of all those Made in China products.
7111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / F / California
Offline
Posted 1/4/08
i just came back from china today and the difference in the air is BIG. you can never see stars in beijing because of the smog. i remember when i came out of the hotel and the tour people thought smog was snow. IT RAINS BROWN WATER.
6601 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Not Telling
Offline
Posted 2/17/08

xone2freex wrote:

i just came back from china today and the difference in the air is BIG. you can never see stars in beijing because of the smog. i remember when i came out of the hotel and the tour people thought smog was snow. IT RAINS BROWN WATER.


Wow, perfect example. Thanks!
It really rained brown water?? Amazing, I'm glad it never rained when I was in China.
13326 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Terra
Offline
Posted 2/17/08
back in the days when i was still in china.... i can see stars at night.... now i came to usa... for more than half my life, i cant even see 1 star....


ps... who do u think causes all those pollution?... stupid brainless idiots does... :O... those ignorant fools knows nothing but themselves.. (that includes you and me)
1010 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Birmingham
Offline
Posted 2/17/08

Mumii wrote:

Well, this isn't only happening to China. I think this is happening to many countries especially the United States and if this continues, we might not be able to enjoy the Earth like we did in the 90's. ):


Cali is especially bad.
Luckily where i live its really clean
:D
Posted 2/17/08

Mumii wrote:

Well, this isn't only happening to China. I think this is happening to many countries especially the United States and if this continues, we might not be able to enjoy the Earth like we did in the 90's. ):


The US isn't nearly as bad as China is becoming. The US actually has regulations on factory emissions, etc. China has nothing like that.
2212 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / back in cr
Offline
Posted 2/17/08

MengQiao wrote:

Pollution in China has gotten even worse during the past few years. It's so bad that you can barely see the sun. The air is hard to breathe and many people are wearing masks. If this continues what will happen to China in the future?? What about pollution in general, anyone else worried??


this seems like a ed topic
i have been to china and have known first hand of its dangers,
when i was in beijing the sky was bearly clear and the smog was so thick when i got back to the hotel and blew my nose the snot was black
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.