First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Christians
10553 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Washington
Offline
Posted 5/31/07
Roman Catholic... although i think i may have oRussin orthodox family in Finland...well i hope i do... anyways... if you have trouble with your faith or are in need.. thiers two things i seriously suggest...

Go to a Catholic priest or church and request a scapular, seirously wear it... even if you dont go to Church ior arent Roman catholic, if you wear a blessed scapular it provides blessings to your thoughts and to your life...perhaps even helping guide you... it is said that the green scapular has actually helped many people heal physically, not just mentally or emotionally.

the other is if your willing go find a Pieta Prayer book on the internet an order.. like 4 dollers plus s&h ...and find a few prayers in their that fit you.
228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Cambridge UK
Offline
Posted 5/31/07

ultimahelm wrote:


red3finition wrote:


esilabet wrote:


The christian have done so many mistake in his name that we now take the words of the Bible as Jesus's own words, but it is not.
Jesus never wrote anything at all... or maybe those text were discarted.
The bible is full of great stories, but I see it as the book of king Arthur - A huge revised, re-edited version of the one that should have been an auto-biographie.

He was a man ahead of his time (like any prophet is), and yet, today, Cristians especially the catholics, are being pulled by their religion.

Chistianism, or the new testament, was used to stop a civil war, the texts were chosen even perverted amongst hundrens (majority was from letters, Apostle, send between the catacombs in the Roman territory, where the followers of jesus were hiding)
Jesus was probably never understood, diciples only got a part of his message and pass them along for 3 or 4 generations. Now we read that revised part of it, and assume to understand his message.


to an extent, any historical document is subject to revision, since we dont get it first hand. it has to go through many generations, translations, and lets not forget that the victors write history. but i think we are all familiar with the bible, the "perversion" that esil wrote about and also the fact that nothing is written, or maybe nothing was recorded, of jesus' early years. it just kind of..skips.

but im also rather skeptical about arthur's existence. ahhh what would i ever do if everything was just proven though. thered be nothing to think about!



well in defence of the bible any new translation of the bible are taken from the origonal manuscripts, i know bcause the first few pages of the bible have sum kind of legal disclaimer thing, but the bible hasn't changed for two thousand years and it never will. As for jesus never writing the bible it would be rather stupid a guy writing that "i walked on water" i mean who would be believe him so i suppose it has more credibility if it was written by whitnesses rather than 1 guy writing his life story hyping himself up.

But really "the victors write the story" the disciples were running for the hills victors, the disciples were persecuted and beat up for mst of their time as christians but the fact they continued to preach was their only victory. I don't get what your trying to say about the victors wrote the story.

but the bible was never written as the words of jesus obviously they quoted what he said during their time with him.


No offence but there arnt any real "original manuscripts" as scribed by the disciples themselves. The translations may be from older manuscripts and some of the obvious mistakes have been corrected but the off the shelf bible of today is still subject to the many amendments and convenient corrects that the church made some 1000 years ago.

as for myself im a searching agnostic (agnosticism is literally I-dont-know-ism if u trace back the language) I still kinda lol at Christians although i got a good few Christian friends i have no issue with the word of Christ (which is on a whole is a very enlightened and morally beneficial read) i do however have a dire problem with the christian church as an organization.

Isnt Jesus himself recorded, in one of the missing books of the bible, enoch maybe i forget, as saying something along the lines of "Man need never go to the temple as the temple is where one goes to be seen by man not god" wish i could rem. exact line and quote now.
27499 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/31/07

VailleX wrote:

Catholics are no Christians..


But yeas i'm christian! and i love God so much that i will type it in this thread


yes they are: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholics

and for all that born again people,you are protestants(and christians like the catholics!):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born-again
10553 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Washington
Offline
Posted 5/31/07
umm...what people consider Christains who arent Catholic are those that broke from the church and did waht they wanted most notably a few hundred years ago... you know what... theyve brought this planet near destruction doing what they want...not that people dont do that normly anyways but sierously...people didnt want to listen to the pope anymore, they wanted to do what they wanted... thats nota goodthing for people to do what they want and call it all good....caus its not...besides poeple rannt about how they dont have to listen to the oligarchy of the church nore to the pope himself... but you know what... they go and set up all these oligarchys for themselves... and its been causing problems with all the stupid bickering and all these doomsayers syaing the end is near... and the rapture prepare for the rapture... that.... and the Mormons... you know what people are argueing about whos right... well i think when the church was made by Christs order it was done right and has been right for 2000 years as God has guided the Church....i have no idea what this has to do with a Christian conversation... but i do like to type ....
Posted 5/31/07
Catholics are christians, but they don't believe that you can get to heaven by faith alone.
Posted 5/31/07

AleksisMichael wrote:

umm...what people consider Christains who arent Catholic are those that broke from the church and did waht they wanted most notably a few hundred years ago... you know what... theyve brought this planet near destruction doing what they want...not that people dont do that normly anyways but sierously...people didnt want to listen to the pope anymore, they wanted to do what they wanted... thats nota goodthing for people to do what they want and call it all good....caus its not...besides poeple rannt about how they dont have to listen to the oligarchy of the church nore to the pope himself... but you know what... they go and set up all these oligarchys for themselves... and its been causing problems with all the stupid bickering and all these doomsayers syaing the end is near... and the rapture prepare for the rapture... that.... and the Mormons... you know what people are argueing about whos right... well i think when the church was made by Christs order it was done right and has been right for 2000 years as God has guided the Church....i have no idea what this has to do with a Christian conversation... but i do like to type ....


The bible says to study and read it for yourself, yet most catholics rely on the pope's interpretation because they believe he's infallible. People seperated from the catholic church because they realised that God wants them to read the bible, because that's one of the ways He speaks to you. God tells us to read the bible.
10553 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Washington
Offline
Posted 5/31/07
where does the bible say study and read it yourself?
besides at mass you hear the bible read to you word per word.... you get 3 pasages or so per mass, normal church has daily mass though only once a weekend per week is "required" per... besides you know what? the world doesnt need thousands of people reading the bible and reintrepreting it every which way to suite them. you see thats a serious propblem just caus you read something doesnt mean you can comprehend it... you can totally misentrepret it and cuas horrible things to happen if you act stupidlyu because of it...

hence we have entire council of priests/bishops devoted to studying it without any marital or other sorta thing to distract thiem... its thier LIFE to read and study and help everyone, thats why their called fathers... caus they guide the church with calm study and thought.... they spend their lives with the church as their family and devote themselves to protecting and nurtering the people within it and helping the people to flourish in thier lives.
3937 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / PA
Offline
Posted 5/31/07
I was raised catholic and i completed a few of the Sacrements (baptism,communion,confession) but i stopped going to church when i was like 12. I dont really have any qualms about relgion as long as no one is pushing it onto me. And id have to say the religion that is most guilty of this is Christianity.
I belive in the fact that a happy heart is a thankful heart, that a good person is one that does no harm to others.
Posted 5/31/07

AleksisMichael wrote:

where does the bible say study and read it yourself?
besides at mass you hear the bible read to you word per word.... you get 3 pasages or so per mass, normal church has daily mass though only once a weekend per week is "required" per... besides you know what? the world doesnt need thousands of people reading the bible and reintrepreting it every which way to suite them. you see thats a serious propblem just caus you read something doesnt mean you can comprehend it... you can totally misentrepret it and cuas horrible things to happen if you act stupidlyu because of it...


Acts 17:11
"Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true."

The bible talks about the Bereans studying the bible to see if what Paul preached was true everyday.

"As newborn babes, long for the pure milk of the word, that by it you may grow in respect to salvation."
1 Peter 2:2

This talks about how we need to read the bible, so we can grow in Christ. In the bible it talks about how the bible is inspired by God, and is meant to be read.

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."
2 Timothy 3:16-17

There are a lot of verses that give reasons to why we should read the bible, I don't have them all memorized. In fact, I looked these ones up. I just remember reading a lot of verses that speak about this kind of stuff.


hence we have entire council of priests/bishops devoted to studying it without any marital or other sorta thing to distract thiem... its thier LIFE to read and study and help everyone, thats why their called fathers... caus they guide the church with calm study and thought.... they spend their lives with the church as their family and devote themselves to protecting and nurtering the people within it and helping the people to flourish in thier lives.


In my church, we work on our personal relationships with God, instead of having a priest do that for us. We still study the bible together in fellowship, our main focus is to grow in Christ.
27499 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/31/07
^nothing in those sentences says that you should study it!its all interpretation,like everything in christian believes,i red the bible a couple of times,which like90%of religious people didnt,and the main thing,that i recognized was that you can interpretate in every way you want it to,and if you take it word by word it makes no sense at all.
Posted 5/31/07
"As newborn babes, long for the pure milk of the word, that by it you may grow in respect to salvation."
1 Peter 2:2

It says that we should study God's word right there. Reading the bible is what helps us grow.

Acts 17:11
"Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true."

Here in the bible it talks about how the Bereans read the bible everyday after Paul's messages to see for themselves if they were correct! An example right there to do the same, because no one, but God is infallible.

Where in the bible does it say we shouldn't, or that priests and popes are infallible?
2986 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Soon to be SCAD
Offline
Posted 5/31/07
I'm not saying this is what you are going for, but many of the posts suggest that Catholics do not read the bible for themselves, rather let a person in a higher position interpret it for them.

That's just not true. If that was the case, why did we ever translate the bible? Why aren't Catholic sermons still in Latin? It is so the poeple can hear the word and interpret it themself. When I was confirmed, I had to go through plenty of work because they won't allow people into the church who don't research it and believe for themself. Just because we have a figurehead does not mean we are all sheep.

Yes, there are people like that, but it is by no means limited to Catholicism.

[EDIT] And please, if you are going to quote, just quote. By telling us what they mean you are in a way contradictiong your point. That is to interpret it the way you see fit. You are also not infallible.

This is not directed at you, but I find the idea of pulling specific quotes from the bible pointless. You can easily find one line that will contradict the other. I understand you are just trying to provide evedince (and we all know that people need to do that more in threads) but to really prove anything you need to get the message as a whole.
27499 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/31/07
^lol,what is "the word"?what is the message"?
its interpretation.if i wanted to do so i could interpretate the bible in such a way that you have to kill babys drink blood and drive a hummer,to come to heaven,read the bible again,without somebody who tells you what it means,without explanation and you will find out its the most mysterious unclear book ever!
10553 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Washington
Offline
Posted 5/31/07
but you come to the grievous error i mentioned... thats how you happen to interprete those texts you have no idea if thier might be more meaning then read the bible... you have no idea what is lost in translation... atleast i dont... ive personally read a few passages randomly... and those passages ive chosen randomly hav been ideal to me when i needed them at the moment... doesnt mean i couldt comprehend much of it... i just read and got something of what i needed... personally i wasnt to fond of some of the passages but they helped me grow a bit... but that doesnt mean you can just assimilate the bible and understand it you cant its to much and people start argueing over it... Catholic church was built by the apostles why dont you trust them? they scriptured the bible an structured the church they knew what they were doing by Christs command... our understanding simply cant compare... trust the Catholic Church in it is unity to Gods word and works of faith... for instance this entire forum is constant bickering because of "protestent protesting" has released all sorts of messed up people doing what they want how they want. The Roman Catholic Church is unity... i dont see how people can be so arrogant as to presume you could structure a new Church...really just listen to taht , they went an made all these random restructureings bickering over whos right... shoulda just stayed int he Roman Catholic Church where everyone could get along happily in good faith... and if you want to read you know what!? you can read a bible... Priests would be pleased to see poeple reading and learning but you knwo what? kids want to live and run and do stupid stunts not read the bible in thier childhood so thats why thiers church and why its not required to read the bible becuase lotsa people dont want to know or then they just trust to the Church and lived thier lives happily
Posted 5/31/07

chocofluffywhip wrote:

I'm not saying this is what you are going for, but many of the posts suggest that Catholics do not read the bible for themselves, rather let a person in a higher position interpret it for them.

That's just not true. If that was the case, why did we ever translate the bible? Why aren't Catholic sermons still in Latin? It is so the poeple can hear the word and interpret it themself. When I was confirmed, I had to go through plenty of work because they won't allow people into the church who don't research it and believe for themself. Just because we have a figurehead does not mean we are all sheep.

Yes, there are people like that, but it is by no means limited to Catholicism.


You're Catholic, so you definently know more about Catholicism then me. I had no idea if Catholics studied the bible or not, I was just trying to say that God does want us to study the bible.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.