First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Bleach! Where are all the [DB] people?
Mahzes 
82136 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / London, England, UK
Offline
Posted 6/9/10
I find it funny how some people are still naive and childish enough to call Crunchyroll 'greedy' for being a 'business' and 'wanting' money.

Do the people saying these things not understand how the world works, or something?
The Wise Wizard
100935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 6/9/10

mordaane wrote:


TheAncientOne wrote:

Some of us would rather spend our limited time watching new anime, and given that, paying more to own a copy makes no economic sense. An entire year of CR costs about as much as two bargain series sets on DVD.

Most of the library here will stick around, which means typically I can go back and rewatch a favorite episode or three, but to me, that is just icing on the cake.


Wow! You are actually bragging that for mere pennies what some of us has spent hundreds, if not thousands, on acquiring Anime to watch that you can see several series at any time. You must have one stable internet connection.

Actually, I do have a very stable and reliable internet connection; AT&T DSL with a measured actual 5Mbps speed. I really can't recall the last time it was down.

I also have a Netflix subscription that until relatively recently was used exclusively for anime. (As I closing in on depleting the anime choices in their library, I have started mixing in "regular" videos).


I am still not a complete believer in what CR is doing. Mostly because they refuse to provide any figures as to how much actually goes back to the companies they partner with. Its not like anyone is asking for exact amounts either. 10 cents for every dollar? 25 cents of every dollar?

I have heard about 50%. That seems reasonable, if only because it is actually a bit low. iTunes returns 70% of the selling price to the rights holder, for instance, as does Amazon with their new agency model for Kindle ebooks. Since CR doesn't have the clout of these two companies, I suspect the percentage actually varies.


69987 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / Where the heart is
Offline
Posted 6/9/10
I've read here somewhere that the amount going to the rights holders varies according to the percentage of how many people watch a specific show. So Naruto and Bleach would be decent money makers for VIZ.
15060 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/9/10

Crunchyroll Does Not Force DB to Drop Bleach

2010/06/07

As most of you are probably aware, Crunchyroll has recently acquired the rights to simulcast Bleach. As we previously stated, DB will therefore be dropping the project. We will release one more episode so that our staff can say goodbye to one of our favorite shows, and so we can conclude the project with having subbed 225 total episodes of Bleach. This means that Bleach 274 will be DB's last episode of Bleach.

Please note that Crunchyroll did not in any way force, coerce, recommend, or suggest that we drop Bleach. DB has in fact not had any communication directly with Crunchyroll regarding this issue or any other. We are dropping Bleach because we support legal alternatives to fansubs and we hope you will too. As with Naruto, the best way to make sure this service is giving you what you want is to give it a chance and then send your feedback to Crunchyroll and to Viz, preferably framed in as polite as a way as you can manage so they might actually listen to you.

DB is also officially dropping Ookiku due to its having overloaded timecop's hate circuits. We will continue to sub Hakuouki and perhaps the occasional episode of Pythagoras Switch, and will hopefully have fun new projects in the future!

Finally, and as always, this decision is not up for negotiation, so don't bother writing to us and trying to change our minds. People who do so will NOT be banned, but WILL be doused in honey and left in lafnear's ant-infested yard.


That's taken from the latest DB news post for you people saying CR forced them to stop subbing
59759 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / PA
Offline
Posted 6/9/10
@Father2u

I thought about posting that, but I figured these veteran DB martyrs(who don't speak for everybody mind you) would of had the common sense to go to the site itself and read the announcement themselves.
65036 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M
Offline
Posted 6/9/10 , edited 6/9/10







You'll be surprised how some companies use the premise of whatever agenda they have in mind for the common people. At the end of the day, it all comes down to said company wanting money. No and, if, or buts about it. Money is always the end goal in businesses like this. You can't deny that.

CrunchyRoll is no different than any other business......otherwise, they wouldn't have sold out to the anime studios. As long as they got something out of it which is obviously money and the right to stream anime, it's all good to them. It's the people (like yourself) that are the ones coughing up money for something you wont physically own for your own use unless you cough up more money to buy the actual product. I'm sorry but I don't see the logic in spending double time for 1.) something I don't physically own & 2.) having to pay for said physical version of the item I want to watch.



So you never go to the Movies, Rent an Apartment, Rent a vehicle, or other several hundreds of things you pay for but only use at the time.
69 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Poland
Offline
Posted 6/9/10 , edited 6/9/10

Hofman wrote:

I used to download Dattebayo subs all the time. I first stumbled upon Crunchyroll in October. Was still debating to join until I got my iPad. Crunchyroll on the go = AWESOME! I should have joined sooner. Can't wait to become a more active member.

BTW... My First Post!


Och yes your iPod, vs 52 cales TV sharp or laptop 24... But if you're happy with that, so be it



Doepi wrote:

I agree with Mordaane,

You can also buy dvd's if you want to be supportive legally, no need to ruin the fun for people who prefer fansubs. I for one prefer to collect the fansubs from series that are not on dvd yet and later buy the dvd's/bluerays.

It sure is a big loss now that DB stopped subbing bleach, and it will be harder to find good fan subbed episodes. Wich are good enough to archive. I can only hope that the people who made the comments like " I like the DB subs better but I will sign anyway" notice the consequences later on.

I have been a anime watcher/ manga reader since my 12 th year, back when a single volume costed alot of cash.. Now at the age of 24 I still watch and read new and old series. It's good that a site like CR thinks about legalizing anime for some people, but if you think about the whole community (fans), eventually it will shrink. Since anime got a lot of attention trough fansubbing.

I had no intention to insult CR or anything, just my point of view

Gr Doepi


All anime i watched was fansubed, but all anime what is buyable in Poland i have on shelf (never opened)
If this in not supportive.... So I am Hittler!
I watched DB subs from begining of naruto and bleach. I miss them right now ...

And here my question, how can it be helpful those 7$, (premium on CR) for anime creaters ?
If I am in Poland paying for 4 episodes anime 44.99 zlotych.
I earn 5,600 zlotys per month, - 1500 for house , and food., so 4100 is for me, and my entertainment and so forth

44.99 / 3.43 = 13,11661807580175 (13,11 $)
1 USD = 3.430 zlotych

Can sobody tell my , Why for the producers, creators it worth it? Those 7$ ??
I don't get it...

274 / 4 * 50 = 3425 zlotych / 998,55 $
If i take breaks at work 31 day i can watch 992 episodes of anime. (ofc if i am hardcore watcher, 16h)
So for me it is, 7$ vs 998,55$
31 * 16 * 2 = 992 (if ep is 30 minut)
Becouse for $7 i can watch all bleach here, or buy it , if it was buy able in Poland
Ronin
95039 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / California
Offline
Posted 6/9/10
^
I'm uncertain what your math is trying to prove since the numbers aren't properly labeled. If you're trying to say that DVD sales generate money than streaming at this point in time, then you are right. Legal content distribution through online streams is relatively new so it'll be some time before overhead costs can be optimized in order to generate more revenue. I can guarantee that it will get to the point where more money is made through online streaming than DVD sales.
49 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 6/9/10

DeityZero wrote:


Jayden82 wrote:

Loyal DB fan here, all I got to say is for those who want to pay to watch shoddy subbing by Viz and wants to pay money to watch here you go right ahead do so. MORONS! Look as much as CR say they bringing Bleach here for fans or that they are respecting the job that the animators do. This is all about another way for CR to get money in there pockets that's it nothing else. We all see the bang up job Viz did with subbing Naruto, can you say crap, And now there doing to do it to Bleach, losers.


You just seem to be a pessimistic person who just got rubbed the wrong way when CR made a good decision and DB made a moral decision to drop the project because they support legal options. DB has already made it abundantly clear that CR had no bearing on this decision either. If you were truly a loyal DB fan, you would understand the position they are taking and not come on here bashing the one thing DB is supporting.





Oh I understand why DB did what they did all the power to him, wrote them and told them myself. Dude I buy tons of Anime I got almost three shelves full, I respect the legality of all it. Let me sound like a man scorned don't really gives a shit.

Viz just need to keep it real with the subbing of both Bleach and Naruto and don't dumb it down, plain and simple.
Jyosua 
62032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Lancaster, CA
Offline
Posted 6/9/10
I've had a crunchyroll membership for a while now. I watched DB subs. I've been watching Bleach since it first came out in japan, faithfully every week. Back then, I believe it was Lunar subbing it. I'm really happy I now have a legal way to view this show.
77180 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / California
Offline
Posted 6/9/10

To be honest i have no interest attempting to adjust to crunchyroll because of A its not free, B why would i pay for poor quality? if i wanted that id just watch it on tv, someone else will no doubt sub it, it may not be DB quality, but atleast it might be more true to the nature of the characters than crunchy roll.

I really need to learn Japanese so its irrelevant though, like you are ^.^

On a side not i download these animes load them onto my Zune, so there is no point in joining a site that cant even let me do that.


I really don't think that you understand how Cruncyroll works. You first said that (A) you don't want to pay for it. That's fine and with Crunchyroll you don't. You can watch legal anime online for free. That is not a bad thing. (B) why would i pay for poor quality? If you are a premium member you can watch anime in SD, 480P, or 720P if it is available. Some people don't know that not all animes are recorded digitally, which means that the highest quality possible is 480P if recorded in analog.

The one thing to remember is that Crunchyroll is not forcing you to pay for membership and you can still watch anime. It just means that you have to deal with the advertisements and wait ONE week to watch it for free. I am a Dattebayo fan as well, but even they would like to see more legal forms of anime. I would like to see more people support Crunchyroll just because that would mean that they would be able to secure more animes in the future and convince the creators that their is a market beyond selling DVDs. Whether we like it or not, digital media is something that is going to be the next big thing. The reasons are simple, for one creators of your favorite anime don't have to pay money to produce printed copies (this means that prices will go down per episode), and they will need a distribution platform. I would like to see Crunchyroll become the online distributor for anime and the only way that we will do that is show our support. The more people that watch the more animes that they will be able to secure in the future.

I think that it is funny how people can say that someone's translation is more true than another. People tend to forget that it is an interpretation of what is being said. You will being to understand this if you learn to speak Japanese. There are different ways that it could be translated and you can't always use the literal translation. That would mean it becomes subjective and there are people that will interpret what is being said one way while others will disagree because of context. Sometimes there is no exact literal translation or it means something different in English. I remember speaking with a co-worker from Japan once and he was trying to tell me that the digital pictures he took was "heavy", which was the literal translation. What he meant to say was that the pictures consumed a lot of memory. The reason that I know he didn't mean large or big is because he didn't call them ookii.

Remember the reasons that Dattebayo drops projects when there is a legal distribution platform (Well actually Viz owns the rights to Bleach in the U.S.). It is because what they are doing is illegal and everyone involved could have litigation brought against them. This means even the people that are downloading through bit torrents. Remember that you leave a trail when downloading and there is a tracker, if Dattebayo ever got sued for fan subbing, the company that is suing them are within their legal right to ask for the IP addresses and tracking information that they have in their database. This would mean that if you downloaded a torrent from them you could possibly get sued as well. And since we are talking about copyright infringement, imagine a person serving you papers saying that you own $100,000 to XYZ company for illegally downloading you favorite anime.
113 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Montgomery, Ala (...
Offline
Posted 6/9/10

XHedgeX wrote:



You'll be surprised how some companies use the premise of whatever agenda they have in mind for the common people. At the end of the day, it all comes down to said company wanting money. No and, if, or buts about it. Money is always the end goal in businesses like this. You can't deny that.

CrunchyRoll is no different than any other business......otherwise, they wouldn't have sold out to the anime studios. As long as they got something out of it which is obviously money and the right to stream anime, it's all good to them. It's the people (like yourself) that are the ones coughing up money for something you wont physically own for your own use unless you cough up more money to buy the actual product. I'm sorry but I don't see the logic in spending double time for 1.) something I don't physically own & 2.) having to pay for said physical version of the item I want to watch.



So you never go to the Movies, Rent an Apartment, Rent a vehicle, or other several hundreds of things you pay for but only use at the time.



Going to the Movies: No sense in going to see shows that mostly don't peek my interests. Last time I've been to the movies was to see Transformers 1 and that was what............... 2 years ago and I didn't need to pay for it (I got connections)?

Renting a Vehicle: No sense in doing that unless my car is in the shop and I get the rental for free which mostly never happens.

Several other things: Nope, can't think of any other things I might have rented or such or used for a limited of time. It's been so very long.....probably around my junior high school days which was about 15 or 17 years ago?

Please don't try to make it sound as though I've never borrowed something in my life cause I have but since I make my own money and buy my own stuff, I tend not to get anything I wont own. It's just stupid, in my book.
14 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M
Offline
Posted 6/9/10
I love the old HD anime vs SD anime arguments. Those were some of the best bans on DB. I remember this comment from a DB fan trashing people about anime HD video.

"Regarding those retards who keep thinking anime is ever played in HD. It would be worthless. The quality loss when anime is upscaled to HD is none. It's like trying to prove a Black square has better quality in resolution 1920x1024 than in resolution 640x480.
Animations and generally drawn pictures have low quality as they are. Most elements in the picture have only few colors and shades. There is no real need to release them in HD because the quality difference is literally none. The artists making the anime would have to draw in the large format from the start and be lot more precise for it to take any effect. The only quality that can be gained through anime aired in HD is sound. But i highly doubt that any anime will soon have 5.1 or 7.1 quality sound. "

And who can forget the classic trolls they put out like those subs of One Piece that were hilarious!
11013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 6/9/10
I think what everyone is missing here is how CrunchyRoll will choose their anime next.

If I worked at CrunchyRoll and I don't but if I did. It wouldn't take a genius to see.... Hey Dattebayo has 200k downloaders of "Anime X"

Dattebayo will also drop Anime X if we get it legalized to stream.... Hmmm, why don't we just see what anime Dattebayo (or whatever fansub group is subbing anime X) is doing the best (most downloads) and approach the company with the anime X license saying hey we can get people watching your show for free to stop, make us a distributor and fansub group Dattebayo will drop anime X and you'll get to see some profit from those users stealing your anime. Thus they get the rights and the money, and the company sees some kind of profit as well.

CrunchyRoll is just doing what everyone else was doing but put a better business model on it and making is so they couldn't get sued. I congratulate them for it. But I don't support businesses like that. They, like someone else stated. Don't really care for users, they care about money. Like any business or corp. So now I will be dropping Bleach as an anime and will be reading manga, just like I did with Shippuden.

69 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Poland
Offline
Posted 6/9/10

BasouKazuma wrote:

^
I'm uncertain what your math is trying to prove since the numbers aren't properly labeled. If you're trying to say that DVD sales generate money than streaming at this point in time, then you are right. Legal content distribution through online streams is relatively new so it'll be some time before overhead costs can be optimized in order to generate more revenue. I can guarantee that it will get to the point where more money is made through online streaming than DVD sales.


I want to prove that for now watching subs in 1080 , and buying anime on DVD is more suportive then premium on CR.
And even if the monthly cost was 50$, i can't have anime steamed on my Hard Drive or either for the pleasure of having it on a disc.
If i want to see continuance of for example Naruto, better to donate (if there were such a possibility: /)

I only want to know how mutch from 7$ is going to artists :)

ps: and where did you see bad numbers marked. (or calculated)
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.