First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Japanese and US Manga Publishers Ally Against Scanlations
54331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 6/9/10

Taken from MyAnimeList.net

According to Publishers Weekly, 42 Japanese and US manga publishers have united to form an international group to combat scanlation and they are threatening to take legal actions against 30 websites. The publishers coalition includes Kodansha, Shogakugan, Shueisha, Square Enix, Vertical Inc., VIZ Media, Tokyopop, and Yen Press.

The spokesperson of the group said they will take injunctive measure if the scanlation sites stop their activities on their own. They have already been reporting scanlator's violations to US Justice Department and FBI. Publishers Weekly named MangaFox and OneManga as the major scanlation websites.

Kurt Hassler, the publishing director of Yen Press, pointed out the inverse correlation between the increase of the traffic of scanlation websites and the decrease of the manga sales in US.

The spokesperson said that so-called "scanlation aggregators" have transformed the fan based activities of scanlation into for-profit websites that provide thousands of illegal scans of manga and earn money by memberships and advertising revenues. Hassler said that fan scanlators had withdrawn their translations when the manga was licensed but it's no longer the case with the current "business" scanlators. "We don’t want to have to do this but publishers are now focused on this problem."

Source: Publishers Weekly, Anime!Anime!

Story by: ladyxzeus


Japanese and US Manga Publishers Ally Against Scanlations

===========
What do you think about this? I personally think this is a smart move. But I will be against ALL OF THEM if they start taking down fan scanlations too.


37798 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Canada
Offline
Posted 6/9/10
Well their ruining their marketing I guess. The only reason why I bought their merchandise was because of free scanlations.
This sucks ':[
92114 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27
Offline
Posted 6/9/10
that sucks for people who can't afford to buy the manga they read. and isn't this in the wrong section?
9210 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / NJ
Offline
Posted 6/9/10
From what I gather is that they want to ban sites who use scanlations and charge money. So if a site simply provides free scans they are okay, but if they charge money or get paid by advertisers or paid by users then they will be sanctioned. That is how I am reading it. So some of the free sites should still be up if someone just scans them in and does not receive money or kick backs or anything from advertisers and users. I might be wrong but that is how I read it.
23034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / boys locker room
Offline
Posted 6/9/10
OneManga was where i first read manga....then i bought*fond memories* but if the manga sites ask for money for work that does not belong to them, they should be taken down for sure

may be people could just start buying manga?
Posted 6/9/10

KleinerSkollexxx wrote:

OneManga was where i first read manga....then i bought*fond memories* but if the manga sites ask for money for work that does not belong to them, they should be taken down for sure

may be people could just start buying manga?


people buy anime?? are you crazy, most people are lazy and do not want to waste their money on set products. I will say one thing, I love scanlations due to the fact it gives me a preview of what I am going to buy before I do so. I can read 4 different languages so I can could always import some manga but the kinda I like would get weird looks <.</
Posted 6/9/10

amaranth95 wrote:

From what I gather is that they want to ban sites who use scanlations and charge money. So if a site simply provides free scans they are okay, but if they charge money or get paid by advertisers or paid by users then they will be sanctioned. That is how I am reading it. So some of the free sites should still be up if someone just scans them in and does not receive money or kick backs or anything from advertisers and users. I might be wrong but that is how I read it.


this is how crunchy roll got in trouble pre 2009, it was charging for streams that where done by fansubbers. This is not a smart thing to and which Is cr decided to go on legal route to do so.
23034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / boys locker room
Offline
Posted 6/9/10

CecilTheDarkKnight_234 wrote:


KleinerSkollexxx wrote:

OneManga was where i first read manga....then i bought*fond memories* but if the manga sites ask for money for work that does not belong to them, they should be taken down for sure

may be people could just start buying manga?


people buy anime?? are you crazy, most people are lazy and do not want to waste their money on set products. I will say one thing, I love scanlations due to the fact it gives me a preview of what I am going to buy before I do so. I can read 4 different languages so I can could always import some manga but the kinda I like would get weird looks <.</



true....especially anime fans...but they could just get from the library i do that a lot, or may be no one has a car.....

shame on me for expecting others to have a job and a car too!
Posted 6/9/10

KleinerSkollexxx wrote:


CecilTheDarkKnight_234 wrote:


KleinerSkollexxx wrote:

OneManga was where i first read manga....then i bought*fond memories* but if the manga sites ask for money for work that does not belong to them, they should be taken down for sure

may be people could just start buying manga?


people buy anime?? are you crazy, most people are lazy and do not want to waste their money on set products. I will say one thing, I love scanlations due to the fact it gives me a preview of what I am going to buy before I do so. I can read 4 different languages so I can could always import some manga but the kinda I like would get weird looks <.</



true....especially anime fans...but they could just get from the library i do that a lot, or may be no one has a car.....

shame on me for expecting others to have a job and a car too!


i guess I will say it I like kodomo no jikan and there is no way I am can import that manga... I am kinda of afraid how people would look at me let alone the anime.
23034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / boys locker room
Offline
Posted 6/9/10

CecilTheDarkKnight_234 wrote:


KleinerSkollexxx wrote:


CecilTheDarkKnight_234 wrote:


KleinerSkollexxx wrote:

OneManga was where i first read manga....then i bought*fond memories* but if the manga sites ask for money for work that does not belong to them, they should be taken down for sure

may be people could just start buying manga?


people buy anime?? are you crazy, most people are lazy and do not want to waste their money on set products. I will say one thing, I love scanlations due to the fact it gives me a preview of what I am going to buy before I do so. I can read 4 different languages so I can could always import some manga but the kinda I like would get weird looks <.</



true....especially anime fans...but they could just get from the library i do that a lot, or may be no one has a car.....

shame on me for expecting others to have a job and a car too!


i guess I will say it I like kodomo no jikan and there is no way I am can import that manga... I am kinda of afraid how people would look at me let alone the anime.


heh like it too! but for the plot (im not a lesbian pedo ._.)

but i do like shotacon.......
926 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Italy
Offline
Posted 6/9/10
This forum should be in the manga section
The Wise Wizard
100969 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 6/9/10

KleinerSkollexxx wrote:
heh like it too! but for the plot (im not a lesbian pedo ._.)

but i do like shotacon.......

I recall a "discussion" with one user that basically claimed anyone that didn't agree with his view that the KnJ was child porn was a pedophile.



General reply to the topic:

Are there any legal free sites that are ad-supported, or even sites with a paid "all you can read" plan?

1120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 6/10/10
wow, i guess now that the economy is crappy, everybody wants to stop anything and everything to ensure that they make their profits. This was never a problem back in the day. gez..
The Wise Wizard
100969 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 6/10/10

yellowxboy wrote:

wow, i guess now that the economy is crappy, everybody wants to stop anything and everything to ensure that they make their profits. This was never a problem back in the day. gez..

The economy is no doubt part of it, but it isn't as if the number of sites offering these, and the number of people reading them is static.

If you did a random survey of people that were interested in manga 4 years ago, and did it again now, I have little doubt a greater number would now be aware of sites offering free manga scantalations. Likewise, if you counted the number of sites offering such 4 years ago, and counted again now, the number would be greater.

23034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / boys locker room
Offline
Posted 6/11/10

TheAncientOne wrote:


KleinerSkollexxx wrote:
heh like it too! but for the plot (im not a lesbian pedo ._.)

but i do like shotacon.......

I recall a "discussion" with one user that basically claimed anyone that didn't agree with his view that the KnJ was child porn was a pedophile.



General reply to the topic:

Are there any legal free sites that are ad-supported, or even sites with a paid "all you can read" plan?



okay then
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.