First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Christianity 101: Bible
2319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / where the grass i...
Offline
Posted 6/18/10
This is a bold decision that I made. I expect a lot of violent reactions and bloody comments and that is where i expect the Mod to intervene.

This thread is not to impose our belief but to defend our faith and to bust those misconceptions.


to the Mod: if it's off topic, please erase it immediately

anyway, this thread will only be limited about the Christian Bible. We will not tackle any other religious text.

Christianity 101 would be in series so as to divide the topics in threads and to lessen confusion.

I expect other people to behave here properly. We will entertain questions about the TOPIC and nothing more.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Bible

Why we use it? Why should we use it?

Christian uses the Bible as this are texts written by men who are inspired by God. It is not claimed (except the book of prophets) are not written directly by God (just like a spirit medium being possessed by a spirit who writes a novel). Take note, it was written because they experience God (that is why it is said, 'inspired by God')

The reason why we (us Christians) should use it is because if we want to know more about God, the Bible is the best source of information about Him. Though God manifest in the natural world, we cannot clearly identify him through it. Just like a novel. People who will read it knows that someone wrote it. Somehow, the author's way of writing reflects in the novel. If the books is about animals, you'll suspect the author loves animals something like that.

But to know the author's info (his birth, where he lives, what are his educational background etc), you will not find it in the novel. You'll find it in the author's biography. God's biography is the Bible.

The contents of the Bible

The Bible can be divided into two- the Old testament and the New Testament

The Old Testament is also known as the Hebrew Book. Jews use this. Even Islam acknowledge this book.

The Old testament consist of the Deism, Jewish History, Mosaic Law and Prophecy.

The other Book is called the New Testament which are written in Greek. It consist of the Gospel, Letter's of the apostles and the book of revelation.

There are other books acknowledge and rejected by other churches but I will not add it as it will just confuse everyone.

As you all notice, the Bible doesn't contain anything about natural science. It doesn't explain how volcanoes erupts, how the water cycle works etc.

People usually confuses that the Creation story is all about explaining how the universe was built. Sure it tells the sequence of creation and how long does a powerful God can create a universe but that just it. It never explain why birds needed wings, why bulls need horns, why electrons needs protons and neutrons to stabilize, why the gravity of earth needs to be like that etc.

Bible and Update


The only update the Bible gets is the translation. There are aramic and greek words that are lost in translation but scholars are doing their best to translate it.

Books like the book of Judas cannot be used as an update. The reason why the Council of Nicea rejected it is because it is contradicting to the 4 accounts of of the Gospel and to think that the book was written by a traitor.
Posted 6/18/10
If God wrote it, wouldn't it be too big to fit on this planet? We'd have to read the book as it floats in outer space and turn the pages with rockets. Of course, being careful not to burn the pages.
Posted 6/18/10
The problem with bible is that it lacked credibility. The bible sounded more like a book of propaganda rather than a book of truth or revelations. The mysteries that the book contained however are rather astounding. I don't want to make myself sound like a theologists or something but, somehow there's a little bit of truth in the bible. It is somehow blurry because the bible looked like as if a book that is written in riddles. You may see my post as senseless but, I don't think there are people deciphering the bible for some facts about it.
1288 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
A small place in...
Offline
Posted 6/18/10
There are already Open religious groups and Christian groups which try to address this issue and its probably best left there.

Still I think this is a good opportunity, since Alupihan45 is deciding to put his feet onto the fire, we should step back and try to ask questions which we are unsure of regarding Christianity.
136614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / In the sizzling l...
Offline
Posted 6/18/10 , edited 6/18/10
You also have to understand that before it was written down, the contents of the book were passed down orally many times. Word may have been easily lost across countless translations as well. I do not doubt there is something true with the words written on it but people also need to be cautious about taking things too literally with this text.

I agree that the book is not meant to explain things. It's supposed to be a story. That has been the primary function of this text. Stories help point out things we often ignore in our lives. Notice that children's books, which are mainly stories, rarely explain the mechanisms of the world around us. Rather they point out the consequences of certain actions and events. The Bible, I think, functions the same way as a children's book.
Posted 6/19/10
The moment that you want to "defend" your "faith" via some sort of "justification", you've already stop "believing" in something that you can't even prove its existence, let along justifying its nature.
2319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / where the grass i...
Offline
Posted 6/19/10

Aztecnology wrote:

If God wrote it, wouldn't it be too big to fit on this planet? We'd have to read the book as it floats in outer space and turn the pages with rockets. Of course, being careful not to burn the pages.


didn't i just posted that it is not written by God? still angry at me?
2319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / where the grass i...
Offline
Posted 6/19/10

DrifterZ0 wrote:

The problem with bible is that it lacked credibility. The bible sounded more like a book of propaganda rather than a book of truth or revelations. The mysteries that the book contained however are rather astounding. I don't want to make myself sound like a theologists or something but, somehow there's a little bit of truth in the bible. It is somehow blurry because the bible looked like as if a book that is written in riddles. You may see my post as senseless but, I don't think there are people deciphering the bible for some facts about it.


no. I totally understand your point. I was in that same position way back.

It takes many years to understand fully what the Bible says. In fact, you have to reach out to other more knowledgeable in the scripture. Example. I didn't understood this verses

" You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? ... You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hid... Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:13-16

It took me 4-5 years before I understood it. It means Christians as salt must preserve the morality of society (some explanation, preserving the faith) and light as an example to world living in faith and in love. Easy meaning. 4-5 years.

Check this verse Proverbs 8: 7-9

My mouth speaks what is true,
for my lips detest wickedness.

All the words of my mouth are just;
none of them is crooked or perverse.

To the discerning all of them are right;
they are faultless to those who have knowledge.

So your feeling about the Bible as truthful is okay because you understand and you are connected to God
2319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / where the grass i...
Offline
Posted 6/19/10

Northboundsnow wrote:

There are already Open religious groups and Christian groups which try to address this issue and its probably best left there.

Still I think this is a good opportunity, since Alupihan45 is deciding to put his feet onto the fire, we should step back and try to ask questions which we are unsure of regarding Christianity.


yeah. that came into my mind also but I cannot let people in CR blunder our religion with prejudices, biases and stereotypes. It's like seeing someone beating a person and you just turned around and walk away
67723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 6/19/10
OP if everyone in Christendom believed as you say, then Galileo would have never been shown the instruments of the inquisition, there would have have never been a Scopes Monkey Trial, there would be no need for religious Scientists to contort the standards of scientific theory and evidence to prove things like Earth being 6 000 years old, and finally half the threads on ED wouldn't exist.
2319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / where the grass i...
Offline
Posted 6/19/10

CrashAriMP5N2O wrote:

You also have to understand that before it was written down, the contents of the book were passed down orally many times. Word may have been easily lost across countless translations as well. I do not doubt there is something true with the words written on it but people also need to be cautious about taking things too literally with this text.

I agree that the book is not meant to explain things. It's supposed to be a story. That has been the primary function of this text. Stories help point out things we often ignore in our lives. Notice that children's books, which are mainly stories, rarely explain the mechanisms of the world around us. Rather they point out the consequences of certain actions and events. The Bible, I think, functions the same way as a children's book.


totally agree with you. If Christians remained taking the Bible literally, we will still think the earth is the center of solar system and the world is flat.

True that many parts of the Bible are from oral tradition but this tradition just doesn't come from rumors and myth. The first people saw God and they were just retelling the story.

What is our difference from the Greek, Norse and other mythologies? Simple. God lived through time. Many historical people have witnessed his power.
2319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / where the grass i...
Offline
Posted 6/19/10

papagolfwhiskey wrote:

OP if everyone in Christendom believed as you say, then Galileo would have never been shown the instruments of the inquisition, there would have have never been a Scopes Monkey Trial, there would be no need for religious Scientists to contort the standards of scientific theory and evidence to prove things like Earth being 6 000 years old, and finally half the threads on ED wouldn't exist.


yeah. it would have been like that; however, the Bible didn't said that the world is 6,000 years old.
67723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 6/19/10
I'm sure it didn't (I'm not a biblical scholar so I'll take your word for it) but the people who really insist on bringing religion into science give the impression that they think science challenges their faith on the issue of things like the age of the earth. For them, despite the denials, it seems to come down to "that cannot be true, for the bible tells me otherwise."

These people are just as "annoying" (frightening is more like it) as any There-is-no-god-abandon-your-delusions Atheist (Who, frankly, I have about as much use for)
17888 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 6/19/10

let us start with 5 simple questions.

'1. What rational and logical answer do you have that shows god did have a hand in making the bible, This answer must show man could not have made it without god intervention.

'2. Let say god is real for this question, how can you justify the action of said god from the bible. From his jealous fits of rage, To his mass murders. In end can one really say this god of yours is better than say the Norse gods.?

'3. Bible vs Reality. You see in the bible god has his hand in everything, he does not like a city he turns the people to stone. Odd that has not happen in Vegas yet. In reality God does nothing, there is no magic thing demanding anything from anyone. No one being forced to worship him by magical means. (nor has such things been found in real history books. only the bible.) Can you explain why this is the case?

'4. In the bible 42 children had been torn apart by she bears for laughing at a bald man. Not being Violent but just teasing him for being bald. How do you justify the gruesome murder of those kids.

'5. Now what separates this god from any other god?
2319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / where the grass i...
Offline
Posted 6/19/10

papagolfwhiskey wrote:

I'm sure it didn't (I'm not a biblical scholar so I'll take your word for it) but the people who really insist on bringing religion into science give the impression that they think science challenges their faith on the issue of things like the age of the earth. For them, despite the denials, it seems to come down to "that cannot be true, for the bible tells me otherwise."

These people are just as "annoying" (frightening is more like it) as any There-is-no-god-abandon-your-delusions Atheist (Who, frankly, I have about as much use for)


a lot of Christian doesn't read the Bible. Ask an adult Christian, how many time did he read the Bible from cover to cover and you'll be amaze by the statistics

by the way, let me share this:

2 Peter 3:8 "But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day."

with that said, who knows how long was the days of creation and how long are the gaps after the 6 day creation and the time of Adam.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.