First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Why is crunchy have the racistbending "avatar" as a background wallpaper?
2035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6/28/10

CecilTheDarkKnight_234 wrote:


shinto-male wrote:

you cannot worry about other things the world when we still have racism in hollywood and north america


so people dying, being raped, killed and so forth is more important than a movie that is going to suck? Yeah nice to know where your priorities are at.


You don't think it's more important?
Posted 6/28/10

sindba-d wrote:


CecilTheDarkKnight_234 wrote:


shinto-male wrote:

you cannot worry about other things the world when we still have racism in hollywood and north america


so people dying, being raped, killed and so forth is more important than a movie that is going to suck? Yeah nice to know where your priorities are at.


You don't think it's more important?

read the above post also people being killed etc is more important than some movie.
2283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Toronto, Canada
Offline
Posted 6/28/10 , edited 6/28/10

there faces are not painted yellow, they are just played by white characters. Hell anime it's self is self-racist, how many characters look like Asians to begin with?? Most characters look like Caucasians to be honest with you and you know what it's been that way for years. when I watched the cartoon on nick ang looked white to begin with and katara was brown, but what ever that's artistic freedom. I am done with this thread, there is no point anymore if it makes you feel any better i will not be seeing the movie because I hate all live action adaptions of any animated movie.



white actors playing east asian characters is yellowface even if they are not painted yellow



and Anime is not self-racist nor they look like white characters it's time to stop looking through euro-centric lenses



I've heard the question too many times when introducing someone to anime: "Well, if this is Japanese animation, then why do all the characters look white?" What most people are asking with this question is really something closer to, "Why don't they look Japanese?" It's time to answer the question once and for all.

Anime characters can look like elfs, mosters, robots, freaks, angels and whatever other fantastic creature the imagination can conjure up. Another question I've heard asked (in the same vein) is, "What's the deal with the big eyes?" Obviously the assumption here is that since the animators are Japanese, they would most likely animate eyes that look Japanese. This a severe limitation to place on such a diverse medium, and usually it is a question that only Westerners are concerned with.

Firstly, Japan has a wonderfully unique culture that is a combination of the ability of the Japanese to incorporate the sciences and art of outside influences into a Japanese society that is literally an island. That island becomes an incubator for ideas, and often outsiders are confused because they judge all things Japanese without considering the context of Japan.

In fact, the 15th century already saw the Japanese using just drawings to convey a story. While most of the world can't think of animation without simultaneously thinking cartoons and children, anime is not a genre to the Japanese but rather a medium for communicating a story. It is small wonder, combined with the freedom that animation allows, that anime can take on such a myriad of shapes and flavors. When plot, setting and character are completely without limitation, race need not necessarily be as large an issue as it has historically been in reality.

It all started in post-WWII Japan; Hiroshima and Nagasake are just more examples of how there is nothing in the world that quite resembles Japan. They have already been through the apocalypse, and it is evident in their society and art. Shortly after the war, in an action that is representative of the way Japan incorporates outside influences, Osamu Tezuka (the father of Manga) was searching for a new medium. He found it because of the popularity of Walt Disney cartoons at the time. It was the popularity of the medium that was the strongest influence. Japan was no stranger to the drawn story.

The most obvious link then between a Disney and anime character is the big expressive eyes, but that doesn't necessarily mean that anime eyes are a holdover from Disney. Possibly even more so than other cultures, for the Japanese the eyes are the windows to the soul. When you watch your next anime piece, check out the difference between 'good' and 'evil' characters. Good characters have the large eyes that can convey sensitivty and emotion while the badguys are often portrayed as being soulless. Other times, the badguys will have large eyes and very small pupils, the idea being that not enough light has reached their souls. Anime is just trying to do the same thing as every other artistic medium: move you. We as humans respond readily to the language and expression conveyed through the eyes. It is an automatic reaction.

Another possible influence for the larger eyes is born out of the fact that anime has largely been created with very little funding. Tricks such as moving two still shots across one another conveys movement without having to spend as much money on hundreds of drawings. In the same way eyes can convey a large amount of information about the character within a limited shot. The fact that anime has been able to do this so effectively is just another wonder of the medium, a gift from its artistic progenitors. To continue some conjecture, it is also quite possible that the severe individualization of characters in anime (such as the wild hair or the unique eyes) could be a product of a country where everyone has the same color hair and had to wear uniforms through school.

If I may be so bold as to claim a point in all of this, it would be that the amazing variety that anime contains doesn't necessarily denote a caucasian race, if it in fact conveys race at all.



http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=Anime
2035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6/28/10 , edited 6/28/10

CecilTheDarkKnight_234 wrote:


read the above post also people being killed etc is more important than some movie.


I know your intention. I am just joking around.


shinto-male wrote:

white actors playing east asian characters is yellowface even if they are not painted yellow



and Anime is not self-racist nor they look like white characters it's time to stop looking through euro-centric lenses
...


You lose direction.
2584 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Goldsboro, North...
Offline
Posted 6/28/10

shinto-male wrote:
so in other words you continue to deny there is a problem with racism and discrimination in hollywood and making excuses even after i listed examples in this and another thread this is what Time wise called a culture of denial(white denial)




I never said anything of the sort. Please show me exactly what leads you to believe that I did.
40630 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / El salvador
Offline
Posted 6/28/10
you guys need to calm down. this is taking place in a fictional universe. not japan or any other asain culture. i believe they have made the right cast by not making choices based on race. so chill out
Posted 6/28/10


meh how's about this I don't give fuck, I just don't. I have more issues in my life right now to take care than a stupid movie as of now.
2283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Toronto, Canada
Offline
Posted 6/28/10 , edited 6/28/10

you guys need to calm down. this is taking place in a fictional universe. not japan or any other asain culture. i believe they have made the right cast by not making choices based on race. so chill out







it is based on asian culture and legends and have asian writings and clothing

and previous racist movies in hollywood are also based on a fictional universe
47115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Arnold Maryland
Offline
Posted 6/28/10 , edited 6/28/10
I Lol at this topic. Seriously OP, this isn't racist. Just because something isnt 100 % based on what soemthing actually was...doesnt mean its racist. When you find an asian actor who got denied the job over someone else with equal or less talent, then you can complain. Otherwise dont
2283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Toronto, Canada
Offline
Posted 6/28/10 , edited 6/28/10
so what do you call this then? why the emphasis on Caucasian?







have you notice that the villians and extras are minorities?

47115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Arnold Maryland
Offline
Posted 6/28/10
For the love of god. I swear if a minority doesnt get the biggest role in the movie, its considered racism nowadays. People can be so stupid sometimes.
2283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Toronto, Canada
Offline
Posted 6/28/10
it is racist because in this industry minorities are not good enough to be lead roles only to be villains, comic relief and be in negative stereotypes and are not good enough to be themselves so they alway have white actors play them
47115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Arnold Maryland
Offline
Posted 6/28/10
If a minority has the skills than they can be. There have been plenty of movies that have shown this. Dont act like its never happened before.
2283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Toronto, Canada
Offline
Posted 6/28/10 , edited 6/28/10

Maybe because Caucasian is the biggest population on the planet? Its normal for a sentence to start off with the biggest something of something and then have a word to suggest the rest. Its normal



so that makes it ok to descriminate against minorities?
66063 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / kearneysville, wv
Offline
Posted 6/28/10
This is a really pointless thread.... This is a long shot but if you notice who the fire nation characters are, you can see that in the movie they are mostly of Indian descent. Indians ( and Pakistanis) are Asians by locality even though they do not look like what most people think asians should look like. To whoever wrote that thing about Caucasians being the largest population: you are wrong. Asians are the largest "race" mostly because of China and India having the largest populations for any countries. Also, WHY WOULD M. NIGHT be racist if he himself is ASIAN!!!!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.