First  Prev  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  Next  Last
Post Reply Crunchyroll Reviews! What do you think of CR?
33604 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 7/1/10 , edited 7/1/10

Fox469 wrote:


Markus-Oink wrote:


BasouKazuma wrote:


Okuri_inu wrote:

Not worth it. CR premium is a waste of a good $7-$8 (in my opinion). There are plenty of sites that are legit and show a ton more anime, plus they exclude all of the annoying commercials and adds (let's face it, when you don't have the 7$-$8 for the premium, it takes FOREVER to get through an anime-not to mention the commercials ruin the anime by ruining the mood). When it comes to a person's profile page, paying money just to add a playlist is rediculous. CR needs to offer just a little bit more before I would be willing to pay (or take a REDICULOUS amount of surveys) for a membership (not enough anime to view anyway). Don't get me wrong- Crunchy Roll is, however, a good site to learn about new anime and meet new people with the same interests (CR isn't bad, give it a try, but it may not be a site worth spening money on-personal opinion). Also, some of the anime on CR is waaaaaay beyond PG13 (close to soft Hentai). Might want to beware of certain anime series.


The sites you are referring to are most likely not legit since Crunchyroll and FUNimation's Video Portal are the 2 sites that legally provide the most Anime videos on the net. You should refer to this thread for a more complete list of legit Anime streaming sites.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-535224/legal-anime-streaming-and-download-sites/

Any legit streaming site will have advertisements during the video, unless you pay.


Markus-Oink wrote:

They should state that which titles will apply to me. Before I pay and then find out.

What they have done is this:
"EXAMPLE:"
Welcome to CR ice-cream store.
Would you like to get our premium offer? We give 2 scoops of ice-cream every time you order.
Then I get the premium offer, but then they say: Oh wait, you are black you can only have 1 scoop of ice-cream.
But you still have to pay the same amount as the other non-blacks.

See my point?


This isn't a race issue, it's just about what we have countries we have the right to distribute a show in. When you initially signed up, things may not have been as clear but the sign up pages have been completely re-done since then and have progressively been getting more clear. Information about Region Restrictions seems to be clear enough now since I usually don't get any emails asking why there are region restrictions. The Free Trial page is going to be changed again though, so I'll see if it can be made to be even more clear.

We can't offer a discounted price for people in regions with a limited lineup since a system like that is complicated and most likely would be abused.


So basically what you are saying is, we don't care, because it is too complicated, so we will just leave it at that, so people still pay us money and we don't give them all the titles, like the US has.


Let's look at this from (what I see as) the other side. Let's say that you lived in the US, so you had access to all the shows and paid the full rates and people where you live paid less. Then, all of a sudden, these people were able to get all the shows licensed in that area, so they suddenly have access to them all. Should Crunchyroll be able to raise the rates back up to the normal price for these people? Yeah, definitely. But, then what about the people who paid a lower yearly subscription rate? Do they just get to luck out and pay less for the year? I think that seems a bit unfair. There are other issues too, and personally I see this idea as being not feasible. I see the merit, and I see why you would want it. I see that it is unfair that you pay the same and get less. But, the implementation of it seems too complicated to me.


You will truly understand the situation if you were experiencing it.
And this complicated system, well heck? Just because it is complicated they do not want to do anything?
They are just saying they are lazy and not willing to look into.

It is a complete rip-off. You see a lot of people here going: "Woah! I just finished xxxxxx series, it was really awesome!"
And I think, hm.. maybe I should check it out since I DO HAVE PREMIUM WHICH I PAID FOR. But then this comes into your fu--ing face:


I've been a loyal fan of Bleach, I have watched every single episode, EXCEPT up till the last few, want to know why? Because stupid fu--ing CR, licensed it and promised to show it to all, when I get that stupid red shit up above in my face.

I don't care even if Dattebayo did it illegally, they delivered world wide with better translation. But the thing is, when no one has licensed a series, fansubbers subtitle it. Might not be entirely legal. But the people who produce the anime don't give much thought to it, since fansubbers are not earning money from it, if anything they are TRUE fans.
25 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 7/1/10 , edited 7/1/10
One thing I'd like to say this topic seems like its almost turned into a flame war.

#1 stop calling fansubbers illegal, the reason why you watch anime and pay for it is a result of fansubbing.
#2 stop calling CR a rip off, I think its a great thing what they're trying to do, but they're doing it poorly compared to the fansubbers.
#3 If you don't have any cash help fansub groups, if you do that its a seed thatll end up producing more money for the creators.
Another thing that I really believe is that if CR doesn't produce better subs and karoke ops and eds, basically continue to release lower quality subs and people get away from helping the fansub groups it could mean the end of anime as we know it with the quality that we usually have.

You wanted thoughts of what I think of CR, and I'm sure alot of others believe it just as well those our those thoughts. You know I don't care if the membership fee had to go up to 14 or $15 to produce that quality, I and other people would pay for that. because if you did produce that quality then there would be no need for fansubs. The quality of the subs here is what comes out of your butt. If I need to give another example, watch the fansub version of episode 01 meloncholy of haruhi suzumiya then watch episode 01 of it on CR after just 1 min you'll turn it off.

So No I'm not trying to bash you CR Your stream player definitely isn't bad I could definitely watch it, but things that are lost in the translation that degrades anime!!!! Are you really here to promote and help show the world how good anime is and help the creators, or are you here for just $$$$????
This is constructive criticism.

To the one who quoted my post earlier at page 6 thanks maybe the video streamer has gotten to where there isnt screen tear at 720p but my beef is more so on the quality of the subs that are presented on this site.
The Wise Wizard
73246 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 7/1/10

revengesrage wrote:
#1 stop calling fansubbers illegal, the reason why you watch anime and pay for it is a result of fansubbing.

There probably is no one with an automobile that has not broken the speed limit multiple times, but that does not make speeding legal.

That said, there is a difference between blasting through a residential area with a 35mph speed limit at 60mph, vs. driving at 80 on on a nearly empty interstate highway during the day that has a speed limit of 70mph.

Likewise, continuing to download or stream fansubs when one or more legit alternatives are available is different than if there is not a licensed version of an anime available for your region.

Make no mistake, however, with both examples, despite the difference, both are still illegal. Unless the fansubbers live in a nation where copyright laws either don't exist or are substantially different than the rest of the world, what they do is still illegal.

65179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 7/1/10

BasouKazuma wrote:


Markus-Oink wrote:

They should state that which titles will apply to me. Before I pay and then find out.

What they have done is this:
"EXAMPLE:"
Welcome to CR ice-cream store.
Would you like to get our premium offer? We give 2 scoops of ice-cream every time you order.
Then I get the premium offer, but then they say: Oh wait, you are black you can only have 1 scoop of ice-cream.
But you still have to pay the same amount as the other non-blacks.

See my point?


This isn't a race issue, it's just about what we have countries we have the right to distribute a show in. When you initially signed up, things may not have been as clear but the sign up pages have been completely re-done since then and have progressively been getting more clear. Information about Region Restrictions seems to be clear enough now since I usually don't get any emails asking why there are region restrictions. The Free Trial page is going to be changed again though, so I'll see if it can be made to be even more clear.

We can't offer a discounted price for people in regions with a limited lineup since a system like that is complicated and most likely would be abused.


My question is, if Markus-Oink really is from the Faroe Islands as it says, why isn't he getting more streams? That's part of Denmark, and Denmark is supposed to get plenty of streams. He said he can't get Giant Killing or Durarara, but both of those were announced as streaming to Denmark.
52370 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Netherlands
Offline
Posted 7/1/10
I'm very happy with Crunchyroll. When i first heard about it i was a bit sceptical because flash streams are known for their bad quality. But when i took the free trial and watched an episode i was pleasantly surprised. The video quality is great.

The region restrictions are a pain. In the winter season none of the 6 new simulcasts were available for me. Actually, there were only 14 countries that could see at least 1 of the new simulcasts. That was disappointing. But the spring season was much better. 6 of the 7 new simulcasts available for me and overall more countries where they were available. So things are improving. I hope you can keep this up for the summer simulcasts.

The subtitle quality is very good. Many people who know Japanese say your translations are more accurate than the average fansub. Also, i like how the subtitles are plain english and easy to follow. Some people say the subtitles should be fansub-style, which means that honorifics should be left in and many words should stay in Japanese with a translator note. But i hate that. It's distracting and makes it harder to follow. Especially for people who don't know the Japanese language or culture. Please keep it as it is.

The membership fee is very low. $6.95 per month for unlimited streaming is peanuts and i happily pay it.

Keep up the good work.
Lodium 
44044 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 7/1/10 , edited 7/1/10

Knightofmana wrote:

Radio is a very bad comparison to the internet. There is no way to control radio waves once they are broadcasted unless you were to dome your entire country to stop them.

on the topic of region blocking,

.what i cant stand is I can't watch any other hockey teams on sportsnets channels other then the Vancouver Canucks even when i have the all the sportsnet stations on my satellite. This region blocking was all in the name of indoctrinating regions to cheer for their "local" team. Best thing is for most my life i lived much closer to Edmonton then to Vancouver but i was still in British Columbia. Whats better about half the Canadian teams games are shown on Sportsnet.

At least Crunchyroll has a legal reason to region block anime which is they are NOT ALLOWED to Stream said show to those countries because the couldn't obtain the license. Its not like the guys at Crunchyroll sit in a room deciding randomly picking regions for anime. Crunchyroll also does retroactively add regions to anime they stream.


Oh really, though i understand your point i think ppl are forgetting what the idea behind internet is

Quote wikipedia
The Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks that use the standard Internet Protocol Suite (TCP/IP) to serve billions of users worldwide. It is a network of networks that consists of millions of private, public, academic, business, and government networks of local to global scope that are linked by a broad array of electronic and optical networking technologies. The Internet carries a vast array of information resources and services, most notably the inter-linked hypertext documents of the World Wide Web (WWW) and the infrastructure to support electronic mail.

Most traditional communications media, such as telephone and television services, are reshaped or redefined using the technologies of the Internet, giving rise to services such as Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) and IPTV. Newspaper publishing has been reshaped into Web sites, blogging, and web feeds. The Internet has enabled or accelerated the creation of new forms of human interactions through instant messaging, Internet forums, and social networking sites.
The Internet has no centralized governance in either technological implementation or policies for access and usage; each constituent network sets its own standards
qoute end

So phone services is reshaped due to the invention of internet not the other way around.
And back to the region block thing again.
If you block content even if ppl are willing to pay for it, it wont be a global service no more, then you migth as well call it something else.
Now if the companys still try to block potential customers from buying their services due to regions which only exist in the real world
then i migth as well also block for instance mail writing to the USA or Japan.
Reason for my thinking here is because the product you are buying or the service you are paying for arent existing before u either have it in your home or trhu some services or in your email folder or in some other forms which you can actually use, watch, read or hear.

So region blocking in internet combats the purpose behind a global system.
And please dont mention Constituent networks as way to legit region blocking, that has nothing to do with it.
Thats a standard my part of the world sets for the usage of internett, its got nothing to do with companys and their region blocking.

I understand this is not a thing crunchyroll is responsible for or can do anything with
except trying to get more worldwide streams.
The real change has to come from the companys that are making these shows, which still clings to an ancient way of doing it which isnt really working.
I cant understand why for instance funanimation dont want my money, are my money not as good as an american citizen?
since they and hulu are blocking me even though i want to pay to watch their shows.

Also, this isnt a race question
But i feel the ppl here from USA or canada shoud try to set themself in my and others shoes that comes from other parts of the world wich is not america.

Now this is only hypotetical, but woud u liked if our part of the world had denied you for instance life saving medicines because
our companys for some weird reason have figured out its too difucult to export it easy to USA even though u were willing to pay for it?
Or i can even mention oil a product my contry exports loads of litres to the USA and EU as well, what if we suddenly decided to block that?








Engineer
85986 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / California
Offline
Posted 7/1/10 , edited 7/1/10

agila61 wrote:


BasouKazuma wrote:


Markus-Oink wrote:

They should state that which titles will apply to me. Before I pay and then find out.

What they have done is this:
"EXAMPLE:"
Welcome to CR ice-cream store.
Would you like to get our premium offer? We give 2 scoops of ice-cream every time you order.
Then I get the premium offer, but then they say: Oh wait, you are black you can only have 1 scoop of ice-cream.
But you still have to pay the same amount as the other non-blacks.

See my point?


This isn't a race issue, it's just about what we have countries we have the right to distribute a show in. When you initially signed up, things may not have been as clear but the sign up pages have been completely re-done since then and have progressively been getting more clear. Information about Region Restrictions seems to be clear enough now since I usually don't get any emails asking why there are region restrictions. The Free Trial page is going to be changed again though, so I'll see if it can be made to be even more clear.

We can't offer a discounted price for people in regions with a limited lineup since a system like that is complicated and most likely would be abused.


My question is, if Markus-Oink really is from the Faroe Islands as it says, why isn't he getting more streams? That's part of Denmark, and Denmark is supposed to get plenty of streams. He said he can't get Giant Killing or Durarara, but both of those were announced as streaming to Denmark.


Looks like this may have been an oversight. We've made Giant Killing and Durarara available to people residing in the Faroe Islands, in light of this new info.

Edit: Also updated for Bleach.
The Wise Wizard
73246 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 7/1/10 , edited 7/1/10

Lodium wrote:
I cant understand why for instance funanimation dont want my money, are my money not as good as an american citizen?
since they and hulu are blocking me even though i want to pay to watch their shows.

Actually, Funimation won't even take money from those in the U.S. (for streams).

Seriously, I wish they had a paid, no-ad option like CR.


Hulu is at least somewhat understandable, as the bulk of their content is U.S. television shows. Streaming these shows overseas could interfere with later sales to overseas networks, which is not a small market for U.S. companies. Three major U.S. networks are shareholders in Hulu, so to say they have a major say in what it can and cannot do is an understatement. Remember, these are the same companies that forced Hulu to do everything it could to keep the free version from devices that could show it on a TV, rather than a PC screen.

Funimation is certainly more in control of their own destiny, but has reasons for being North American-centric. They come from a history of broadcast licensing and DVD production for this region, so it is their comfort zone. I expect they have little interest at this point in trying to expand to other regions. The good news is that leaves the possibility open that another company could take the licenses for other regions. I have suggested before that although the possibility of One Piece appearing on CR is low (because Funimation hold the rights to it for the U.S. and Canada), that wouldn't mean CR couldn't license it for other regions. Imagine the howls, however, from those in the U.S. when they got the dreaded "not available in your region" message!

I had also raised the question of how much CR can really make on advertising outside the U.S. This is important, as this is how free memberships still provide revenue. Few advertisers are interested in running international campaigns, and selling ads for each individual region must be a pain. This would mean paid memberships are all the more important for international members, and yet they get fewer series. Perhaps CR should experiment with offering one or two series internationally (but only to paid members) that would be unavailable in the U.S. (due to another company, such as Funimation, having the streaming rights here).




Now this is only hypotetical, but woud u liked if our part of the world had denied you for instance life saving medicines because
our companys for some weird reason have figured out its too difucult to export it easy to USA even though u were willing to pay for it?
Or i can even mention oil a product my contry exports loads of litres to the USA and EU as well, what if we suddenly decided to block that?

The problem with both those scenarios is you are talking about a product produced in your country. By contrast, anime is produced in Japan, "imported" to the U.S., and then "exported" to other countries. There certainly have been instances of a country allowing the sale of an item or component to certain countries, while disallowing resale or sale of the finished product to others.

92985 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 7/1/10



I personally don't like region licensing its archaic. I'm glad you are one of the ones that realize this problem lies with the makers of the shows. I feel alot of people blame Crunchyroll for this problem when its not their fault.

Hulu doesn't want my money either and the best thing about this is i can WALK to the USA in around 10 hours
65179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 7/1/10

TheAncientOne wrote:

I have suggested before that although the possibility of One Piece appearing on CR is low (because Funimation hold the rights to it for the U.S. and Canada), that wouldn't mean CR couldn't license it for other regions. Imagine the howls, however, from those in the U.S. when they got the dreaded "not available in your region" message!


For something where Funimation only has R1 rights, and Crunchy can get R2 (outside Japan) and R4 streaming rights ... then, there'd be the option of cross-streaming to US members from Hulu. For ad-streaming, Hulu pays their partner sites 10% of ad revenue, and Hulu would surely allow CR to just pay the regular ad-rates so that anime members could get ad-free streams.

(Complicating that, it would be necessary to stream from YouTube to avoid a regional block for Canada)


I had also raised the question of how much CR can really make on advertising outside the U.S.


This is likely to be one reason why CR ad-stream is 360p when Hulu has 480p ad-streams -- restricting to the US ensures a more stable streaming ad revenue base. However, it seems likely that there will be some streaming ad base for Australia, New Zealand, an English-reading audience in Latin America, the UK and Ireland and an English-reading audience in the Nordic countries, which seems to be a set of countries that are getting a large share of simulcasts.

Cracking Southeast Asia, for example, may require getting some "cornerstone" streaming advertisers.
Lodium 
44044 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 7/1/10 , edited 7/1/10

TheAncientOne wrote:


Lodium wrote:
I cant understand why for instance funanimation dont want my money, are my money not as good as an american citizen?
since they and hulu are blocking me even though i want to pay to watch their shows.

Actually, Funimation won't even take money from those in the U.S. (for streams).

Seriously, I wish they had a paid, no-ad option like CR.


Hulu is at least somewhat understandable, as the bulk of their content is U.S. television shows. Streaming these shows overseas could interfere with later sales to overseas networks, which is not a small market for U.S. companies. Three major U.S. networks are shareholders in Hulu, so to say they have a major say in what it can and cannot do is an understatement. Remember, these are the same companies that forced Hulu to do everything it could to keep the free version from devices that could show it on a TV, rather than a PC screen.

Funimation is certainly more in control of their own destiny, but has reasons for being North American-centric. They come from a history of broadcast licensing and DVD production for this region, so it is their comfort zone. I expect they have little interest at this point in trying to expand to other regions. The good news is that leaves the possibility open that another company could take the licenses for other regions. I have suggested before that although the possibility of One Piece appearing on CR is low (because Funimation hold the rights to it for the U.S. and Canada), that wouldn't mean CR couldn't license it for other regions. Imagine the howls, however, from those in the U.S. when they got the dreaded "not available in your region" message!

I had also raised the question of how much CR can really make on advertising outside the U.S. This is important, as this is how free memberships still provide revenue. Few advertisers are interested in running international campaigns, and selling ads for each individual region must be a pain. This would mean paid memberships are all the more important for international members, and yet they get fewer series. Perhaps CR should experiment with offering one or two series internationally (but only to paid members) that would be unavailable in the U.S. (due to another company, such as Funimation, having the streaming rights here).




Now this is only hypotetical, but woud u liked if our part of the world had denied you for instance life saving medicines because
our companys for some weird reason have figured out its too difucult to export it easy to USA even though u were willing to pay for it?
Or i can even mention oil a product my contry exports loads of litres to the USA and EU as well, what if we suddenly decided to block that?

The problem with both those scenarios is you are talking about a product produced in your country. By contrast, anime is produced in Japan, "imported" to the U.S., and then "exported" to other countries. There certainly have been instances of a country allowing the sale of an item or component to certain countries, while disallowing resale or sale of the finished product to others.



Well, in my contry wich is Norway, anime here isnt so big, theres maybe about 5000 that likes anime out of 4 million
and not evryone is a fan for many years.
So there isnt many networks that are buying it,
In rare cases u can find some anime on Disney, jetix or the national tv channels but thats maybe 1 out of 1000 shows
and it dosnt happen very often and if it does happen its very often the really popular ones that have a big impact like pokemon and such.
If i want to buy my anime legally which isnt so popular here i actually have to buy the DVD,s which is translated in the U.S
Or a bit harder option but still possible if i lay effort in it, learn Japanese and import it from Japan.

Ok, sure i often like to collect dvd,s but there arent all the shows i want to own and neither have space for
so an alternative to buy DVD,s the only legit way to see, is those rare cases i mentioned and streaming sites like crunchy.

Some DVD,s in my collection comes from what i have seen on streams here and then bougth it afterwards.
But as i said, i dont wish to fill my entire apartment with DVD,s , so i have no space to sleep, eat or sit, im not that hardcore otaku and thats why i think streams is a good way to see those shows that you dont perhaps want to own.
25 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 7/2/10 , edited 7/2/10

TheAncientOne wrote:


revengesrage wrote:
#1 stop calling fansubbers illegal, the reason why you watch anime and pay for it is a result of fansubbing.

There probably is no one with an automobile that has not broken the speed limit multiple times, but that does not make speeding legal.

That said, there is a difference between blasting through a residential area with a 35mph speed limit at 60mph, vs. driving at 80 on on a nearly empty interstate highway during the day that has a speed limit of 70mph.

Likewise, continuing to download or stream fansubs when one or more legit alternatives are available is different than if there is not a licensed version of an anime available for your region.

Make no mistake, however, with both examples, despite the difference, both are still illegal. Unless the fansubbers live in a nation where copyright laws either don't exist or are substantially different than the rest of the world, what they do is still illegal.



Wow I like the fact how you tottaly ignored the rest of my post that was trying to add to crunchyroll. No after your idiotic post, it tottaly turned me off. People on here on crunchy roll are denying their roots. If CR doesn't get better with the sub quality and I keep seein this lame S***, I'll make my own site and start posting picture comparisons who knows maybe other people are already. But then again I won't do that because your just one stupid member of this site.

PS
quote
Likewise, continuing to download or stream fansubs when one or more legit alternatives are available is different than if there is not a licensed version of an anime available for your region.
quote
I can't watch angel beats, I can't Watch Naruto shippuuden because of Poor subs, Now I can't watch bleach because of poor subs.
I'm sorry but you can have your legal route....
heres my legal route the same thing I do for everything, If they did a good job on the begginning and ending and it was fantastic and if it had a terrific rewatchability I'll end up buying the blu-ray version of it, Or I'll end up purchasing the manga, because alot of the shows don't end and continue on in the manga's.

The streaming idea is great just get the sub quality up to par seriously. And when you guys get an ANDROID APP for CR out I'll more than likely be purchasing a membership, I can't stand the SUBS but for previewing and checking out new animes on the go and not having to convert, with an added plus of more money going to the creators I'd so do that.

I'm not saying I'll never do a subscription again, because I've thought it would be nice just for the fact that I'd be able to pull this up on any pc and not have to Dl First or worry about if the pc is too slow to play it.

But, if I bought a membership I wouldn't use it atleast not until I get my EVO, Yeah it would be supporting the creators but if your paying for something your not using thats delivering less quality it feels like your burning your cash, thats the way it really felt like for me when cr first started this.

Heres another ps whatever you have to say that is negative will be completely ignored cause I really don't plan on jumping back on this thread just to hear an idiot speak more.
Lodium 
44044 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 7/2/10 , edited 7/2/10
Hmm, i noticed a few that justifies Fansubbing as a legit way to watch anime if its not licenced in your region.
Make no mistake, fansubbing is still illegal.
Your taking something the creators have made and are adding something extra
and then distribute it whitouth their permission and withouth paying them.
Even most fansubbers recognize the fact what they do is not legal and will stop if they get a C/D letter, some will stop even before.

The reason why fansubbs came to ligth in the earliest days at least, was because it was much harder back then to get ahold of anime with
english subs, so fans which coud japanese started to sub to spread anime to more than just the harcfore ppl and to ppl that coudnt japanese.

Quote wikipedia :
A fansub (short for fan-subtitled) is a version of a foreign film or foreign television program which has been translated by fans and subtitled into a language other than that of the original.

Because distribution of fan-subtitled content is a violation of copyright laws in most countries, the ethical implications of producing, distributing, or watching fansubs are topics of much controversy.
Fansubs originated during the explosion of anime production during the 1980s in Japan. Relatively few titles were licensed for distribution outside of Japan. This made it difficult for anime fans to obtain new titles. Some fans, generally those with some Japanese language experience, began producing amateur subtitled copies of new anime programs so that they could share them with their fellow fans who did not understand Japanese.
The first distribution media of fansubbed material was VHS tapes. Such copies were notoriously low quality, time consuming to make, expensive to produce (over US$4000 in 1986) and difficult to find. A limited number of copies were made and then mailed out or distributed at local anime clubs. Fans could purchase fansubs at a modest cost or could contact clubs who would record the material on their own blank video cassettes.
quote end

It is true that fansubs have helped anime to spread, but that doesnt justifies the act of subbing and then spreading it.
And many ppl today expect to get evrything for free
If the creators dosnt get paid, it will in the end lead to them stopping making anime because it isnt profitable no more.


65179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 7/2/10

Lodium wrote:

Hmm, i noticed a few that justifies Fansubbing as a legit way to watch anime if its not licenced in your region.
Make no mistake, fansubbing is still illegal. ...


While some people might be confused about the legality, yes, in every country that is in the WTO and/or has signed the Berne convention, the copyright is valid in the country even if the item is not offered for sale in that country.

Some people argue that its still illegal but not unethical. They argue that the rights owners "doesn't lose anything" when their rights are trampled in countries where there is no license.

Well, I am not sure I am persuaded by that argument, but whatever ... those are the kinds of arguments that can go on for hundreds of posts without any new information showing up, just people repeating the same positions.

HOWEVER, illegal streaming sites that stream bootleg subs of licensed content into countries where its licensed - they are clearly both illegal and unethical. There just is no argument: they are consuming the work while denying the creators of the work revenue that is really available.

And the idea that streaming sites rely primarily on unlicensed streams is just silly: the biggest series are Bleach and One Piece and Naruto, with FMA:Brotherhood slotting in behind those, and they are all available on disc and by stream in a number of countries. And the idea that streaming sites are primarily "helping people in countries that have region blocks" is also silly: otherwise the illegal streaming sites would be region blocked to countries where legal streams are available.

An illegal streaming site that was relying on the "illegal but no harm, no foul" argument would not allow licensed shows or would redirect viewers from countries where the shows are licensed to the legit source. But none of them do that: because it would cut down on their advertising revenue.

Luckily, despite the damage that the illegal streaming sites do, when I look at the Alexa ranking, Crunchyroll continues to hold its position in a growing internet market, and since Bleach started its simulcast, looks to be improving its position.
25 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 7/2/10 , edited 7/2/10
agila61 well said I agree with your post %100.

Lodium Quote
It is true that fansubs have helped anime to spread, but that doesnt justifies the act of subbing and then spreading it.
And many ppl today expect to get evrything for free
If the creators dosnt get paid, it will in the end lead to them stopping making anime because it isnt profitable no more.
End Quote

Are you saying that the creators over there are getting no money from broadcasting it, no sales in japan absolutely whatever that their only source of income is the rest of the world? hey not tryin to put words in your mouth. and yeah I've read some stuff that says exactly that but lets not forget that anime originally existed in Japan only. Maybe a couple other asian countries too...


So this is really about keeping the us companies over here in buisness even more so as well as making japan more profitable, and keeping the anime industry going since it is now reaching a worldwide audience. which is great! because then as time passes by more and more people will like it and Itll be much easier to find other people who enjoy what I enjoy. You know even if you didn't mean this in your post thats what it said and screamed!

but seriously lodium what you said in that quote has nothing to do with the creators getting money its about the companies over here being able to profit off of it too. which is totally cool



Agila61 awesome post its spot on, thats why I can tell myself there are people on here that are good and know what is right.

You know heres another question I have. since Cr has the license and legal right to alot of the animes for streaming it with its own translated subs, how come users of the site can't submit their own subs which may be better to be able to use optionally.

Like say for instance what if I had a file that contained the subs for all 24 of the meloncholy of haruhi suzumiya and I wanted to upload it to Cr to use with the vids for watching intsead of the subs that cr translated. I believe that would be an awesome feature. Because if that was possible just think how it could possibly change things. There could be groups of people in cr that would do a better translation of the series and it would all be legal, because you have to pay to watch it since the license has been bought and japan is still getting money.

But, then again if CR had better translators then this wouldn't be an issue. I'd really love to see karoake on the op and ed of the animes added too.
First  Prev  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.