First  Prev  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  Next  Last
Post Reply Crunchyroll Reviews! What do you think of CR?
Posted 9/4/10
I really like the site but it would be nice to have more of a selection on the iPad app.
138763 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/4/10
♥'in CR.. just need more anime
Posted 9/5/10
You guys are getting greedy. I kind of understood when you started charging to see things on the first week and making everyone else wait. Now you're blacklisting entire runs? I'm going back to hulu, the anime network, and simple fansubs.
The Wise Wizard
76417 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 9/5/10

killerookami wrote:

You guys are getting greedy. I kind of understood when you started charging to see things on the first week and making everyone else wait. Now you're blacklisting entire runs? I'm going back to hulu, the anime network, and simple fansubs.

I am not clear on what you mean by "blacklisting entire runs". Are you referring to some episodes of Bleach being available only to paid members, or something else?

If you meant that in regard to some episodes being available only to paid members, it seems rather odd you included The Anime Network, as you have to be a paid member to complete most series there. (I am also a member there, so I have nothing against them, but it is the simple truth).

Posted 9/9/10 , edited 9/9/10
How about all of Fairy Tail for starters? only available to Premium members period not just "some" episodes. Funimation posts almost all of their stuff on Hulu completely free because they get kickbacks from commercials. The only advantage I see to paying is getting to see an anime a little bit earlier here (of course fansubs aren't that far behind if at all.) Also bleach is on Hulu as well and if Im paying for premium, shouldn't I get access to episodes 136 - 265? I agree anime network charges however it's less and what irritates me is that crunchyroll didn't use to charge but now it's charging more and more and offering less and less for free. I think I'll be using crunchyroll less, and I hope others will do the same until they get a bit more reasonable with their prices and access. because if less people even use their free service that means less revenue from commercials which I'm sure is a far greater loss than what could potentially be lost by lowering their membership prices. (lowering their membership prices could actually be a gain.)
The Wise Wizard
76417 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 9/9/10

killerookami wrote:

How about all of Fairy Tail for starters? only available to Premium members period not just "some" episodes. Funimation posts almost all of their stuff on Hulu completely free because they get kickbacks from commercials. The only advantage I see to paying is getting to see an anime a little bit earlier here (of course fansubs aren't that far behind if at all.) Also bleach is on Hulu as well and if Im paying for premium, shouldn't I get access to episodes 136 - 265? I agree anime network charges however it's less and what irritates me is that crunchyroll didn't use to charge but now it's charging more and more and offering less and less for free. I think I'll be using crunchyroll less, and I hope others will do the same until they get a bit more reasonable with their prices and access. because if less people even use their free service that means less revenue from commercials which I'm sure is a far greater loss than what could potentially be lost by lowering their membership prices. (lowering their membership prices could actually be a gain.)


Fairy Tail is the most restricted property on CR. Even premium members only have access to episodes for 30 days after they are first posted. I have little doubt the licensor is to blame for this restriction, and may have had a say in it being only available as premium content (although I do have some doubt about that).

Regarding Funimation, I suspect the primary reason they post their material to Hulu (and their YouTube channel, as well) is that their own site only sees a fraction of the traffic of Crunchyroll. CR has a lot less to gain by splitting revenue with Hulu. Funimation is also supposed to be offering a paid premium service later this year (something I look forward to), which like CR will offer no commercials, higher quality, and possibly some exclusive content.

I would say the advantages in paying CR also include higher quality and no commercials, but as you appear to be comparing it to fansubs, obviously the latter would not apply. Fansubs, of course, give $0 back to the companies that created the anime.

As to the gap in the Bleach episodes, I can only assume it has something to do with negotiating the rights with Viz. Viz is the one that posts the episodes to Hulu, and naturally they don't have to negotiate with themselves. Hulu is U.S. only, so it could have something to do with rights outside the United States.

I don't see where you are getting that Anime Network charges less. Their monthly rate is $6.95, which is exactly the same as CR's monthly anime subscription, and their annual rate is $10 more than CR. (They don't discount longer subscriptions as much as CR. That is one reason why I am on an annual subscription with CR, but only quarterly with TAN).

As to CR not having charged in the past, that was because they used to be a fansub site. I also don't get what you mean by "charging more and more", as I have not seen any increase in their rates since they went legit and started the paid memberships (unless you are referring to charging extra/separately for dramas, which I will admit to taking little notice of, as I have no interest in them).

Frankly, it may be the the revenue from the commercials is not providing as much to the bottom line, so that may be the reason that more material is for premium members only. Since CR does not openly disclose their financial information, it is impossible to say either way.

Posted 9/10/10
Defend what you will, I'm out.
55857 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Yarmouth Port, Mass
Online
Posted 9/17/10 , edited 9/17/10
I absolutely love this site. 100x cooler then Facebook, Myspace, etc. And it's a way I get to support what I love, Go Crunchyroll.
255 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 9/18/10
i think crunchy are idiots shinji is a sell out and their business plan is fundamentally flawed from a fair trading point of view

watch it a week earlier and pay or wait and get it free

people do it for a hobby do a better job and give it away

most of the posts about how good crunchy is and how it changed the lives of some of its members sound fake and like sales pitches

they dont fight hard enough for licensing and just about every staff member is probably and egomaniac

but i do respect they havent tried to silence or ban me for my comment if they did though i would juts come back and show how i was banned for speaking out

the biggest problem i have i guess is most titles dont make it here to australia and you subs suck in both trying to sound american and are to big and blocky
113224 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Ѵσσ∂σσ Ƭɛит
Offline
Posted 9/20/10
i love cr. its one of the best websites ever. i come on almost every day. ^^ (when i have time)
40624 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / El salvador
Offline
Posted 9/21/10

shinji wrote:

Hey guys,

The folks at Otaku in Review were nice enough to test out Crunchyroll, our video service, and the Premium Membership. They even reviewed the iPhone and iPad Crunchyroll apps! Check out what they think of us below.

http://www.janaiblog.com/2010/06/26/crunchyrolls-premium-subscription-why-you-should/

http://otakuinreview.com/blog/2010/6/25/the-crunchyroll-review-part-1-premium-content.html
http://otakuinreview.com/podcast/2010/6/25/episode-20-the-crunchyroll-special.html

Here's a (biased :P) excerpt:


If you’re someone who enjoys anime and wants it fast and easy to access, then I highly recommend the Crunchyroll premium subscription. In addition to removing those pesky ads, the service allows viewers to access the latest episodes of their favorite shows quickly and in HD quality. If you’re still on the fence, you can get a free 2-week trial of the service and see for yourself. The Crunchyroll site is not without its issues (many of which being with their video player, which Scott & I go over on this podcast episode) but overall, I’d say the premium option is worth the money you’d invest in it.


P.S. Thanks for the review! We know our service can be better, and we work on it everyday to improve it~ I'm glad you guys like it overall.you need more anime, remember I pay money for this content that I could find anywear else on the internet. give me some Full metal alchemist brotherhood, Inuyasha, the second season of the The melancholy of haruhi suzomiya along with the movie, the bleach movies, neon genisis evangelion. so on and so forth.

378 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Romania
Offline
Posted 9/22/10
I think it so C(O.o)l :X:X love it
The Wise Wizard
76417 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 9/22/10

Fadadio wrote:
you need more anime, remember I pay money for this content that I could find anywear else on the internet. give me some Full metal alchemist brotherhood, Inuyasha, the second season of the The melancholy of haruhi suzomiya along with the movie, the bleach movies, neon genisis evangelion. so on and so forth.


FMA: Brotherhood is licensed by Funimation.

Inuyasha is a Viz property, so it isn't out of the question, but there are a number of Viz shows that they have seen fit not to share with neither CR or Funimation, but rather stream on their own (and via Hulu).

40624 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / El salvador
Offline
Posted 9/22/10

TheAncientOne wrote:


Fadadio wrote:
you need more anime, remember I pay money for this content that I could find anywear else on the internet. give me some Full metal alchemist brotherhood, Inuyasha, the second season of the The melancholy of haruhi suzomiya along with the movie, the bleach movies, neon genisis evangelion. so on and so forth.


FMA: Brotherhood is licensed by Funimation.

Inuyasha is a Viz property, so it isn't out of the question, but there are a number of Viz shows that they have seen fit not to share with neither CR or Funimation, but rather stream on their own (and via Hulu).

thats cool, but then again they dont have them all which is why I resort to watching free anime. and from the free anime I have watched it also led me to going out to buy the DVD's the manga ect ect. an example of this would be the Movie Rebuild of Evangelion. I first saw the leaked version online seeing as I did not want random users on anime/fansites blurting out spoilers because I would of had to wait for the english DVD release before talking about the movie with the anime community. after it got licensed and dubbed I went to go see the film in the movie theature which was a vast improvement over the online sub I had witnessed. after that I waited for the DVD to come out and got that as well(and the collecters edition that came out a few months later) which just goes to show that if you watch Free subs, it does not mean you will give nothing back because not only will you tell other people about the anime you just watched but you will be tempted to buy the DVD version or go see it in the movies or both if your me

67858 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 9/24/10

Fadadio wrote:

... which just goes to show that if you watch Free subs, it does not mean you will give nothing back because not only will you tell other people about the anime you just watched but you will be tempted to buy the DVD version or go see it in the movies or both if your me


Yes. On average, bootleg views do not drive sales anything like views on cable did in the middle 90's ... that fact is established by the explosion of bootleg views with the rise of broadband internet penetration in this last decade without a matching explosion of sales of anime.

In individual cases it certainly can. It just doesn't happen in the large majority of cases. If the majority of bootleg viewers were like you, there wouldn't be any problem.
First  Prev  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.