First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
What's the point of: Atheism?
Posted 7/2/10 , edited 7/2/10
Okay, if you are, or 'claim' to be a Atheist. Please, can I get a answer on why do most, always broadcast their thoughts and mind's and try to convert a person, and Shun a human being. Not speaking for the whole general Atheist public,
But, can I get someone to ponder of what's the point of making someone not believe in something that give's a human, Morals,responsibilities, etc?


-DG

75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 7/2/10
I've seen more active Atheists here in ED on CR than any other time of my life. They are more than counterbalanced by the equally proactive religious types. (well in level of activity. not so sure it's a fair fight as far as prowess at debate goes)

Can I ask you to rephrase your question?

This sentence:

"Please, can I get a answer on why do most, always broadcast their thoughts and mind's and try to convert a person, and Shun a human being. "

I am frankly unable to parse. What are you asking of whom? and who is 'most always?'


Your more coherent second point has an inherent implied assumption that religion is the only source of morals and responsibilities. I think you will find that many Atheists (especially the proactive ones) beg to differ on that point. Think of the proactive Atheists as being like missionaries. They believe there are doing good in the world by opening others eyes to what they see as the truth.

Me, I think it's a wasted effort. The bible thumpers and god baiters just go 'round and 'round with each other. Neither side giving an inch or seemingly willing to live and let live.

I'm rather tired of the religious debates on this forum.





Posted 7/2/10

Deathguitar wrote:

Okay, if you are, or 'claim' to be a Atheist. Please, can I get a answer on why do most, always broadcast their thoughts and mind's and try to convert a person, and Shun a human being. Not speaking for the whole general Atheist public,
But, can I get someone to ponder of what's the point of making someone not believe in something that give's a human, Morals,responsibilities, etc?


-DG
Which part of these acts are considered to be morally responsible in a secular human society?

Genocide in the Old Testament
What the Bible says about Torture
What the Bible says about Slavery
What the Bible says about Rape, and how it's justifiable
Biblical doctrine that promotes segregation within a family.

BTW, I'm by my definition an experience junkie and an individualist. But the theists OTOH just don't give a damn about who I am, IMO.
Posted 7/3/10 , edited 7/3/10

DomFortress wrote:


Deathguitar wrote:

Okay, if you are, or 'claim' to be a Atheist. Please, can I get a answer on why do most, always broadcast their thoughts and mind's and try to convert a person, and Shun a human being. Not speaking for the whole general Atheist public,
But, can I get someone to ponder of what's the point of making someone not believe in something that give's a human, Morals,responsibilities, etc?


-DG
Which part of these acts are considered to be morally responsible in a secular human society?

Genocide in the Old Testament
What the Bible says about Torture
What the Bible says about Slavery
What the Bible says about Rape, and how it's justifiable
Biblical doctrine that promotes segregation within a family.

BTW, I'm by my definition an experience junkie and an individualist. But the theists OTOH just don't give a damn about who I am, IMO.


If I were not to be mistaken the early chapters of the bible refers to a history of the people of god under struggle for their survival. Remembering our Christian class during high school, it was also said that the "Genesis" was not the first book written but the Exodus which talks about God's chosen people and their struggle to the promised land. If you are criticizing the bible for its contents then I shall say you are too superficial. I guess there's a good reason why the Quran written not mentioning the history of god's people because of some superficial Atheists who would criticize the bible in its every side, every flaw and even its very design so long as they make the religion look bad and make people doubt about their faith.

So what if a religious book talks about murders, torture, slavery, rape and genocide? If you criticize the bible for mentioning those then publishing history books should also be discontinued. It is hypocrisy if you criticize some book for its illicit contents about genocide and mass murders yet some book out there is published with the same content.
Posted 7/3/10 , edited 7/3/10
No one should be pushing their beliefs, or lack thereof, on anyone else.
Posted 7/3/10

DrifterZ0 wrote:


DomFortress wrote:


Deathguitar wrote:

Okay, if you are, or 'claim' to be a Atheist. Please, can I get a answer on why do most, always broadcast their thoughts and mind's and try to convert a person, and Shun a human being. Not speaking for the whole general Atheist public,
But, can I get someone to ponder of what's the point of making someone not believe in something that give's a human, Morals,responsibilities, etc?


-DG
Which part of these acts are considered to be morally responsible in a secular human society?

Genocide in the Old Testament
What the Bible says about Torture
What the Bible says about Slavery
What the Bible says about Rape, and how it's justifiable
Biblical doctrine that promotes segregation within a family.

BTW, I'm by my definition an experience junkie and an individualist. But the theists OTOH just don't give a damn about who I am, IMO.


If I were not to be mistaken the early chapters of the bible refers to a history of the people of god under struggle for their survival. Remembering our Christian class during high school, it was also said that the "Genesis" was not the first book written but the Exodus which talks about God's chosen people and their struggle to the promised land. If you are criticizing the bible for its contents then I shall say you are too superficial. I guess there's a good reason why the Quran written not mentioning the history of god's people because of some superficial Atheists who would criticize the bible in its every side, every flaw and even its very design so long as they make the religion look bad and make people doubt about their faith.

So what if a religious book talks about murders, torture, slavery, rape and genocide? If you criticize the bible for mentioning those then publishing history books should also be discontinued. It is hypocrisy if you say that.


History books state blunt facts. It's nothing moral or holy. That's the difference.
Posted 7/3/10


But I don't like the idea of Atheist using that slight part of the bible for their criticism. They sound desperate if they use that kind of strategy against believers. Just because those things mentioned above was on the pages on the bible does not mean it was and is justifiable by the religion. I mean those passages that mentions about rape, murder and genocide were mentioned because of the situation of the times. They were at war and what is to be expected?
Posted 7/3/10

DrifterZ0 wrote:



But I don't like the idea of Atheist using that slight part of the bible for their criticism. They sound desperate if they use that kind of strategy against believers. Just because those things mentioned above was on the pages on the bible does not mean it was and is justifiable by the religion. I mean those passages that mentions about rape, murder and genocide were mentioned because of the situation of the times. They were at war and what is to be expected?


/Shrug. As I stated before, I just don't think any person should be pushing their views and beliefs on any one else. Simple enough solution.
Posted 7/3/10

DrifterZ0 wrote:



If I were not to be mistaken the early chapters of the bible refers to a history of the people of god under struggle for their survival. Remembering our Christian class during high school, it was also said that the "Genesis" was not the first book written but the Exodus which talks about God's chosen people and their struggle to the promised land. If you are criticizing the bible for its contents then I shall say you are too superficial. I guess there's a good reason why the Quran written not mentioning the history of god's people because of some superficial Atheists who would criticize the bible in its every side, every flaw and even its very design so long as they make the religion look bad and make people doubt about their faith.

So what if a religious book talks about murders, torture, slavery, rape and genocide? If you criticize the bible for mentioning those then publishing history books should also be discontinued. It is hypocrisy if you criticize some book for its illicit contents about genocide and mass murders yet some book out there is published with the same content.

DrifterZ0 wrote:



But I don't like the idea of Atheist using that slight part of the bible for their criticism. They sound desperate if they use that kind of strategy against believers. Just because those things mentioned above was on the pages on the bible does not mean it was and is justifiable by the religion. I mean those passages that mentions about rape, murder and genocide were mentioned because of the situation of the times. They were at war and what is to be expected?
The only "struggle" I see here is the historical fact that in order for the people of God to "survive", they inflected genocide, torture, slavery, and even rape to other people of different faiths. All the while they "justified" their actions with their entitlement claim of "being favored by the one true God". Now you tell me, is that the natural behavior of "survival of the fittest"? And if so, why is that an abuse of power through acts of violence is befitting for "God's favorite"?

Furthermore, I am an "individualist", not an "atheist". And I "question" the nature of Christianity with my own personal conviction, of me not enjoying any of those act of violence. Because if the Christian God ever does exist, those are the exact same scrutiny that I will confront Him with. When I can't even get a clear and distinct, none-bias, honest-to-goodness, or civil answer from the likes of you believers, because you don't "question your belief", for that's what it means to have "blind faith".
8742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Scotland, Aberdeen
Offline
Posted 7/3/10

Deathguitar wrote:

Okay, if you are, or 'claim' to be a Atheist. Please, can I get a answer on why do most, always broadcast their thoughts and mind's and try to convert a person, and Shun a human being. Not speaking for the whole general Atheist public,
But, can I get someone to ponder of what's the point of making someone not believe in something that give's a human, Morals,responsibilities, etc?


-DG



Right, I can give you my answer.

Arguing is fun. It is a great pastime, I find. It is also useful, it helps you develop and polish critical thinking and good writing style. I argue for what I believe to be factually true. I, for one, don't believe in the binding nature of morality or ethics or anything of that sort, I'm a nihilist. This means that I have absolutely no ultimate purpose in doing what I do. I do it because I want to and that's that, I see no reason why I shouldn't. I find erroneous views to be dangerous, and while I believe in no obligation that would compel me to act against that hazard, I nevertheless do, personal desire. Blindly believing and seeking the truth are, from my perspective, equally pointless endeavours, but I like the latter and dislike the former, so again it is personal choice. I also detest hierarchy and subordination. I find that 'worth' is a nonexistent attribute and that makes all existence equal in lacking such an attribute.
65911 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / F / Atlanta GA
Offline
Posted 7/3/10 , edited 7/3/10
Well that leaves me out, writing style what is that. Critical thinking you must have seen office where there just a small pathway to get a desk, do to all the papers tools and whatever laying about. It is funning though I tell people where the problem is and they do not like my answer and wind up two or three contractor later having to do what I said needed the work done. My mind a cluster fuck with complete A.D.D on speed.
1718 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
65 / M / Croatia
Offline
Posted 7/3/10
Point of atheism? Well, if religious fanatics will disturb you with their nonsense in your home, atheist fanatics will do that outside. You cant escape religion either way.
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 7/3/10
'If you find a leaky pipe, do you try to fix it?'
Well I do. I find religion based on a god to be a very dangerous, and illogical.
We have long had the answers two how are planet came to be, how stars are made, even a good understanding of how life, and humans came to be. Yet religions with this god seems to go against the evidence we have found.
To ignore the facts in order to follow a pre-programed superstition placed in your head from your family is irrational and down right harmful for man kinds development.

Also wen religion is in power, science and civil progress dies. (as seen in the dark age & about a mountain of research that shows that people of blind faith in a god is more likely to be less educated and more likely to do crimes than atheist or religious people without a god, hence why I feel the need to fix this dogmatic comatose state of being you call Blind faith in god/gods)



396 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 7/3/10 , edited 7/4/10
i like some of the responses above such as Papagolfwhiskey and DerfelCadern's and alot of what Darkphoenix3450 says. Much harm has come from believing in a god.

but moi,
bcuz that is what they believe and they will speak their opinion just as any god believing person would. i dont see how trying to convince someone there is no god is any different from trying to convince ppl there is one. Its not forcing your opinion bcuz you cant change how a
person thinks so why is it forcing instead of just opening their mind to other views if to convert them or not. As for shunning and such anyone could do that not just Atheist's.

i dont know where the idea that believing in god brings morals and responsibility came from because many christians dont have them. I think those are things some one either has or learns, nothing to do with thier beliefs in god. Sure, some can learn them from believing in god but some dont. Also some just do whats right because they don't wanna go to hell when normally they wouldn't give a crap, and they can say they are better than the ppl on the streets, with no forgiveness of the sinful.

when there is so much wrong in the world that ppl dont even see bcuz of their selfishness who can help but ask why would god make life like this? It seems only logical that he wouldn't exist or he doesn't care and by all means isn't something to worship. It seems like the Atheist are more in search of the truth than anyone.
By now ur probably thinking "she's an Atheist" and I'm not, but i have been though a stage of it and only believe different because we exist and are alive and how that is possible can't be explained just like my religion, but I guess I'm closest to a deist.
63 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 7/3/10
I find it interesting that all societies from the beginning of time have found various gods and goddesses to explain how things are and what will happen when people die. Its so universal among humans that its shocking that so many different societies in history many without knowledge of the beliefs of different peoples, could create the wealth of mythology that captivates us even today. Religion evolves as society evolves, and as some socities crumble their beliefs vanish with them, societies that thrive retain their religion and may even impose it upon those whom they have conquered or steal beliefs from those they have conquered. Relgion can also change depending on shifting social norms and attitudes, attitudes that may favor a newer set of God(s) over the older set.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.