First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
What's the point of: Atheism?
55941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
58 / F / Midwest, rural Am...
Offline
Posted 7/7/10

Cuddlebuns wrote:

farmbird wrote:
Okay, so why does this subject always have to be compared to or argued against the subject of Christianity or other religions?????

Because whenever there is a discussion about belief systems, there is almost always at least one close-minded jerk who comes along and tells everyone that their beliefs are true, that all other belief systems are false, and that anyone who disagrees with them is stupid and/or going to hell. So the other people start to defend their beliefs, and the argument begins.


zombehs wrote:
Cept you can't argue against said one closed minded idiot because well they're an idiot. So basically the thread derails into the same pointless arguments until it finally gets locked.


two of my favorite proverbs:

A man convinced against his will, is of his first opinion still.
&
Closed minds fast run out of space.

These are not intended to be directed to or at either one of you ! I just thot they applied well with your (true, in my opinion) statements.
15956 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Wilmington NC
Offline
Posted 7/11/10
You know what is right and wrong in your heart. So don't start that bullshit of defining what is right and wrong.
Posted 7/11/10

Pacarus wrote:

You know what is right and wrong in your heart. So don't start that bullshit of defining what is right and wrong.
That's beyond being vague, when it's just an attitude. Not a clear and distinct idea of what's right or wrong in your heart.
15956 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Wilmington NC
Offline
Posted 7/11/10
It was a reply to another post. I see how you where a bit confused. Someone asked what the difference was from right and wrong.
Posted 7/11/10

Pacarus wrote:

It was a reply to another post. I see how you where a bit confused. Someone asked what the difference was from right and wrong.
When there's a pattern of similarity, it's not an accident nor carelessness. But a habit based on design flaw.
Posted 7/11/10
"What's the point of atheism?"

What's the point of religion? And as for you saying atheists push their beliefs, I can't tell you how many christians I've seen try to force their beliefs on other people. Why is it ok for religious people to throw their beliefs around but when an atheist tries to talk about their beliefs it becomes some big issue? I don't believe anyone should force their beliefs on anyone else, atheist or otherwise.
Posted 7/11/10
I just say "I don't know" and call it a day.
Posted 7/12/10

Lilithe wrote:


I believe organized religion is a dangerous thing.




Its not just organized religion .Its any time people come together in a special interest group that we face the possibility of violence and corruption .
402 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Gotham
Offline
Posted 7/19/10
Converting or de-converting someone is something everybody does regardless of religion and most major religions have forced others to believe the same.

The reason people do this is because they believe they are right.

Religion is not a prerequisite for morals

The responsibilities from religions are pointless since a god gave people responsibilities but atheists don't believe the god so the responsibilities are a crock.
1308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Watching everything
Offline
Posted 7/19/10

wrench246 wrote:

The responsibilities from religions are pointless since a god gave people responsibilities but atheists don't believe the god so the responsibilities are a crock.


Wtf are you trying to say in this sentence.....
15147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Kyoto, Japan
Offline
Posted 7/19/10
Religion takes away the power of your free will, it makes your life meaningless. The big religions makes human's life about serving God. Why should we live our lives just to serve someone else? Whether God exist or not, that is not important, but even if he does, I would not follow him. Besides, it generally the religious people who are always pushy about their God. Even worse, is that they would justify their actions, regardless of good or bad, based merely on their God's words.

Religions gives people a sense of acceptance of their current conditions rather than seeking to change it with their own power, they seek to wait for some kind of divine help. When someone ask for advice when they are in hard times, saying: "God is always watching" or "God have a plan" doesn't solve anything. Stop making God an excuse for inaction.

Why Atheists are important? Because in Atheism there is no grand plan; in other words, you have control of your destiny. There is no plan made by some all-powerful being. How hopeless would the world be if your life is already a plan made by someone else? That basically means that your free-will will have no effect on your progression because it is already planned. That is why I think it is better to live as an Atheists, because it is nice to know that I do not have a pre-set destiny which I cannot change.
Posted 7/19/10
I think both religion and atheism take away the wonder of life.
65911 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / F / Atlanta GA
Offline
Posted 7/19/10

Deathguitar wrote:

Okay, if you are, or 'claim' to be a Atheist. Please, can I get a answer on why do most, always broadcast their thoughts and mind's and try to convert a person, and Shun a human being. Not speaking for the whole general Atheist public,
But, can I get someone to ponder of what's the point of making someone not believe in something that give's a human, Morals,responsibilities, etc?


-DG



What is the point there is not one, so what of it? Your point maybe you need to believe in something greater than you or the fear of god to be decent person, that’s silly to me. Do I go out of my way to push my point No. Do you?
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 7/19/10

MrIndigo wrote:

Religion takes away the power of your free will, it makes your life meaningless. The big religions makes human's life about serving God. Why should we live our lives just to serve someone else? Whether God exist or not, that is not important, but even if he does, I would not follow him. Besides, it generally the religious people who are always pushy about their God. Even worse, is that they would justify their actions, regardless of good or bad, based merely on their God's words.

Religions gives people a sense of acceptance of their current conditions rather than seeking to change it with their own power, they seek to wait for some kind of divine help. When someone ask for advice when they are in hard times, saying: "God is always watching" or "God have a plan" doesn't solve anything. Stop making God an excuse for inaction.

Why Atheists are important? Because in Atheism there is no grand plan; in other words, you have control of your destiny. There is no plan made by some all-powerful being. How hopeless would the world be if your life is already a plan made by someone else? That basically means that your free-will will have no effect on your progression because it is already planned. That is why I think it is better to live as an Atheists, because it is nice to know that I do not have a pre-set destiny which I cannot change.


Finally someone with some sense.
3066 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / M
Offline
Posted 7/21/10
I hope religion, precisely Christianity/Catholicism, never dies out. How else am I supposed to touch little boys when I get older?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.