First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
People should have an IQ of atleast 100 to do certain things?
67759 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 7/14/10
I can relate to your frustration. however I don't think it's intelligence based. It's ignorance (both kinds), and self centredness that makes us 'stupid' as a species.

Rather than couch it negatively, I think the better solution is overhaul our education and propaganda machines. Which is not in the interest of those who really run things. They prefer us ignorant and are happy that we only want 'bread and circuses'

We'd have working democracies if people paid as much attention to politics as they do to sports. how many, non genius, people do you know who can recite player stats from memory or have their own perfect fantasy football or baseball teams? Imagine that mental energy spent on understanding political positions and paying attention to actual voting records.

Another thing to try is a thing I learned from my work as a developmental service worker. The concept of 'natural consequences'. Let people engage in life shortening vices, let people play sports in ways that are unsafe. don't bother with fences on cliff edges a warning is enough. put diving boards instead of nets at the edge buildings and bridge sides. You can think of it as evolution in action.

Well that's one way to go.

I don't know. I don't see 'intelligence' to be the problem. People don't use the brains they have. and move through life with self imposed tunnel vision. NO written test can screen for that.
15956 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Wilmington NC
Offline
Posted 7/14/10
I do understand where you are coming from. I saw a sign today that said welcome to Wilmington North Carolina (My town obviously) and I saw there was a penis drawn on it. No matter what you say intelligence and maturity usually go hand and hand. It really bothers me that someone could do something like that. America is like Rome in my opinion and if you don't know the details about how Rome fell then you should look into it. Anyways my point is history tends to repeat itself. I am a very rational person as well and always do the most rational thing without taking my emotions into consideration. Its unhuman like, so if you think I am harsh it is because I am stoic.
67759 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 7/14/10

Pacarus wrote:

I do understand where you are coming from. I saw a sign today that said welcome to Wilmington North Carolina (My town obviously) and I saw there was a penis drawn on it. No matter what you say intelligence and maturity usually go hand and hand. It really bothers me that someone could do something like that. America is like Rome in my opinion and if you don't know the details about how Rome fell then you should look into it. Anyways my point is history tends to repeat itself. I am a very rational person as well and always do the most rational thing without taking my emotions into consideration. Its unhuman like, so if you think I am harsh it is because I am stoic.


I have felt the lure of stoicism but I'm just not wired that way.

I am an emotional being. My briggs-meyer calls me The Healer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healer_%28role_variant%29

And it's mostly right. At least about my failings.

While I understand your frustration. I cannot, CAN NOT support eugenics.

I think SHAME is a powerful tool. Have you ever chased a litterer out of subway going.. "Sir Sir you forgot your news paper! sir?" Great fun.
15956 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Wilmington NC
Offline
Posted 7/14/10
Well if my dream does happen I will be sure to spare you.lol You are a very interesting person. I will indeed check out that link. Its to bad I can't experience the feelings you do. I have a gift and a curse and so do you. We use the gifts that we were born with in the ways we know how. I can see the you are a person the does in fact do that to the best of his ability.
67759 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 7/14/10 , edited 7/14/10

Pacarus wrote:

Well if my dream does happen I will be sure to spare you.lol You are a very interesting person. I will indeed check out that link. Its to bad I can't experience the feelings you do. I have a gift and a curse and so do you. We use the gifts that we were born with in the ways we know how. I can see the you are a person the does in fact do that to the best of his ability.


I talk a good talk on paper. but ... yeah I have delusions of adequacy.

Heh. well I'm a mensa candidate, and live in a foreign country so if even if you hadn't planned to I wouldn't be worried.... although I guess the foreign country thing isn't that much of a defence now that I think of it... Tell it to Mark Emery.



15956 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Wilmington NC
Offline
Posted 7/14/10
No matter how much we may try to be perfect we are not, which makes us realize we are human and we are mortal. As the great Socrates said " All mens souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine". We may not be perfect, but in the end will your soul be considered divine. I believe when I die that mine will be. Even though the road I must journey is long and difficult at the end it will be worth the journey. Like I said I will be an FBI agent that protects the innocent by catching serial killers even if it kills me. In the end will your soul be immortal or immortal and divine?
67759 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 7/14/10

Pacarus wrote:

No matter how much we may try to be perfect we are not, which makes us realize we are human and we are mortal. As the great Socrates said " All mens souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine". We may not be perfect, but in the end will your soul be considered divine. I believe when I die that mine will be. Even though the road I must journey is long and difficult at the end it will be worth the journey. Like I said I will be an FBI agent that protects the innocent by catching serial killers even if it kills me. In the end will your soul be immortal or immortal and divine?


Honestly I'm not sure I believe in souls. but I try to behave as if I'm polishing up mine.
and good on you. you do that and you'll have met MY criteria for citizenship (see earlier posts)


15956 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Wilmington NC
Offline
Posted 7/14/10
Well I'm not sure if I believe in a higher being either. I don't go to church and I believe if god does send a person like myself to hell then I am glad that I did'nt pray to a god like that. So I just live my life in the best way that I can and just hope for the best. Like I said if helping the innocent isnt enough to buy me a ticket to heaven if god does in fact exist then the hell with him. I do everything in the name of justice which may sound silly, but it is the truth. Oh I will friend you as well. I enjoy talking to you, you seem to have a good sense of justice and a unusual compassion for others(Or atleast it is unusual to me). I beleive that we may be able to learn a thing or two from each other. We seem to have a similair goals, but just take different steps in order to achieve those goals. I believe I am right if not please correct me.
67759 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 7/14/10

Pacarus wrote:

Well I'm not sure if I believe in a higher being either. I don't go to church and I believe if god does send a person like myself to hell then I am glad that I did'nt pray to a god like that. So I just live my life in the best way that I can and just hope for the best. Like I said if helping the innocent isnt enough to buy me a ticket to heaven if god does in fact exist then the hell with him. I do everything in the name of justice which may sound silly, but it is the truth. Oh I will friend you as well. I enjoy talking to you, you seem to have a good sense of justice and a unusual compassion for others(Or atleast it is unusual to me). I beleive that we may be able to learn a thing or two from each other. We seem to have a similair goals, but just take different steps in order to achieve those goals. I believe I am right if not please correct me.


Well we type some similar core values into our posts. and friend away.

I like to think, I hope this doesn't offend, that my country has a greater um.. collective sense of community than the US. We have a share of self centred and ignorrant (trust me do we ever) but while I'm probably more of bleeding heart than some of my compatriots and cohort I honestly think that compassion and tolerance are stronger values in our culture than in.. other places.


15956 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Wilmington NC
Offline
Posted 7/14/10
Well I have never visited your country so I can't really reply to that post. I believe that in some parts of America it may be better than your country, but in others much worse. America is a big bowl for big fish to swim. I have always been a big fish in a small pond and one day maybe my bowl will be the world.Then maybe I could compare the two countries and get back to you.
67759 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 7/14/10 , edited 7/14/10

Pacarus wrote:

Well I have never visited your country so I can't really reply to that post. I believe that in some parts of America it may be better than your country, but in others much worse. America is a big bowl for big fish to swim. I have always been a big fish in a small pond and one day maybe my bowl will be the world.Then maybe I could compare the two countries and get back to you.


well it's easy enough. heck if you visit our largest city (Toronto) I'd be glad to show you around. Amtrak meets Via at many border crossings. Airport shuttles often cross the border too.

15956 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Wilmington NC
Offline
Posted 7/14/10
I might just take you up on that offer in the future. Sounds like a great place though.
67759 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 7/14/10

Pacarus wrote:

I might just take you up on that offer in the future. Sounds like a great place though.


It has it's moments. Not always better just different. IT's the little things. ... in some places we put mayonaise on our french fries.


55258 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / F / Atlanta GA
Offline
Posted 7/15/10
In some case’s having a high I.Q can be a liability. Not paying attention to what they’re doing do to boredom. In fact many jobs are like that. I would lose my mind working on assembly plant floor. I would care less how much it paid did the same old mess day in and day out I go postal. If I can’t work on many different things I would go mad, Oh' I am mad, nut, and crazy as a shit house rat.
3066 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
73 / M
Offline
Posted 7/15/10 , edited 7/15/10

Pacarus wrote:

I do understand where you are coming from. I saw a sign today that said welcome to Wilmington North Carolina (My town obviously) and I saw there was a penis drawn on it. No matter what you say intelligence and maturity usually go hand and hand. It really bothers me that someone could do something like that.


Sorry mate, had I known you would've been upset I wouldn't have drawn that. My bad brah.


papagolfwhiskey wrote:


makix wrote:

I'm just curious about two things:

If we stop allowing people with <100 IQ to reproduce, how would we even go to that solution? The only way I can see this happening is through two dictatorial actions taken upon the American people, who value freedom so much. First, there will have to be a mandatory IQ testing of EVERY citizen to be permanently recorded into a national database. And TWO, the individuals with less than 100 IQ will have to undergo painful and humiliating sterilization surgery. Not to mention, how will we determine what age to start cutting off people's balls? People can get smarter (in IQ sense) as they age. So a high schooler at 18 who is below 100 IQ can actually achieve higher than 100 IQ assuming they gain more practice in problem solving and using his/her brain. If this sterilization act is put into place and we temporarily (for sake of argument) sterilize someone, they'll have to undergo the surgery again to be able to reproduce again.

This thread is utter mindfuck and those who support it are dumb because they don't realize that this kind of idea is more trouble than its worth. Smart people have always been able to achieve great things; creating a world of only smart people is moot.


So, which is it? the world or America. the two are not synonymous.



America = Case Point
We = Americans (towards OP and me since I'm American and he's from NC; therefore appropriate to use American society as model)
World = Direction of argument
Hence, the space in between.

Nice try though.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.