First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Child Soilders
1574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / somewhere on earth
Offline
Posted 7/7/10 , edited 7/7/10
If this thread is a duplicate or anything please feel free to lock it up...

Well i was watching the History channel and they were talking about children who have been forced to become soldiers or had ran away from home due to abusive/troubled families. This really made me sad.. Well because majority of them had no choice especially in places like Colombia and Africa where they have civil wars this children had been brainwashed and brought for training and sent to the battlefield to kill. Being children their minds are not very sure as to what is right and wrong thus it makes it easy to brainwash them and after the war is finished when they go back to their lives it is hard for them some of their family members do not want them back and some don't have any families to go back and the emotional trauma of killing someone else has made some unable to redeem their selves.. I would just like to know what you people who are fortunate to not go through this hell at such a young age what do you think about this and what can be done to help them a little bit more. Imagine you were to go through all this how would you feel?...

I would appreciate it if people would not post any ignorant posts because if you find this irrelevant and useless please just do not comment.

For those who are new to this there is a link that might help you : )
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_use_of_children
1499 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / somewhere in asia...
Offline
Posted 7/7/10
first of all their families is the one to blame in this kind of thing...... what kind of parent will allow his/her child to go to war...

but still this is the reality of life... lucky one's has something to eat and the unlucky one only has a gun and few bullet's to survive

something must be done.. but what can we do ?

this kind of thing is taking care of by the goverment.. bad sadly the goverment is not doing enough to keep does child away from war...




Note....

want to help but don't really know how
8742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Scotland, Aberdeen
Offline
Posted 7/7/10
Regrettable, but nothing new. Ignorant cretins with mediaeval thinking and their stupid ideologies or suprestitions keep on producing these child soldiers. What can be done? Weed out the dangerous ones. Line up the tribal shamans, the mad supporters of ideologies and so on and so forth.
Posted 7/7/10

PretzelPerez wrote:

first of all their families is the one to blame in this kind of thing...... what kind of parent will allow his/her child to go to war...

but still this is the reality of life... lucky one's has something to eat and the unlucky one only has a gun and few bullet's to survive

something must be done.. but what can we do ?

this kind of thing is taking care of by the goverment.. bad sadly the goverment is not doing enough to keep does child away from war...




Note....

want to help but don't really know how
Stupid, when your impulsive and rashness only led you to whine and complain. Without you understand, think, and reflect upon what's really the cause is never that simple. Can't you at least be inspired to do anything other than complain and whine? When that could put you in the same psychological condition as those child soldiers were; learned helplessness, aka pessimistic attitude.
286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Where the sky rea...
Offline
Posted 7/7/10 , edited 7/7/10
Now.. I don't think of brainwashing as a negative. Have I not being brainwashed that I cannot breathe on the moon?

From the top of my head:

There are around 10,000 child soldiers in Africa
The child soldiers usually begin fighting at the age 13-14, yet when people think of "child soldiers", they think of 8 years olds.
There are orphaned children in the army as well as those who were captured against their own will.

The captured children fighting against their own will: Is that not similar to drafting?
The children fighting voluntarily: are these not the future patriots of their country?
Are not terrorists like foot soldiers in a dire war?

However, I do not support child soldiers.. In fact, I'm strongly against it, as well as drafting and war patriots.
Posted 7/7/10 , edited 7/7/10
Either way, child soldiers, or adult soldiers, the fact that they do exist is deplorable. What can we do about it? Stop warring, and fighting over stupid things? How do we achieve that? Eradicate humanity. Maybe, it will work out.
Posted 7/7/10
They end up becoming some of the most scarred people alive. I heard of a boy soldier in Africa. As he sat by a water tap at home one day after a battle, he hallucinated blood coming from it.
65911 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / F / Atlanta GA
Offline
Posted 7/7/10
Just think war 1940 Japan China nasty war slaughtering whole towns. These kids could be war orphan they did what they had to survive. Think of the Japanese’s mind set 1920 to 1945. Without a full story going off half cocked. You should be mad at what going on in Africa maybe even pick up some weapons and protect the kid provide they don’t kill you first. Showing outrage and hiding behind a peace sing you are walking contradiction.----------------- paradox Where is that pain that always say Peace not war
Posted 7/7/10

DerfelCadarn wrote:

Regrettable, but nothing new. Ignorant cretins with mediaeval thinking and their stupid ideologies or suprestitions keep on producing these child soldiers. What can be done? Weed out the dangerous ones. Line up the tribal shamans, the mad supporters of ideologies and so on and so forth.


They're just keeping it gangsta.
2319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / where the grass i...
Offline
Posted 7/8/10

DerfelCadarn wrote:

Regrettable, but nothing new. Ignorant cretins with mediaeval thinking and their stupid ideologies or suprestitions keep on producing these child soldiers. What can be done? Weed out the dangerous ones. Line up the tribal shamans, the mad supporters of ideologies and so on and so forth.


i think it is not limited to ideology

I have seen on TV a child assassin of a powerful clan. He became an assassin not knowing the reason behind it. He was just expecting that these clan would take care of him
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Online
Posted 7/8/10
Child soldiers have been an ongoing problem for a long time. At one time in western society the militarisation of our youth at least as far as training was quite common. Lord Baden-Powel founded the boy scout movement on the principal that teaching boy children the principals of these stealthy independantly operating and carefully observant soldiers would help them to grow up to be better men.

Many countries have/or had Cadet or militarised youth movements, the most infamous being the Hitler Youth. In My own country Scouting has become completely non-military and likely anti-war. And the Cadet organisations while still funded, supplied and supported by the Department of National defence, are specifically and constitutionally forbidden 'War Training' (This doesn't prevent Sea Cadets from learning Seamanship and Damage Control or Army Cadets from learning Target shooting, Orienteering, and Abseiling etc...but actual combat drills are forbidden)

The Child Soldiers the OP mentions are a different kettle of fish. Their induction is largely involuntary, their training is brutal, (It may include killing ones parents or at least members of one's parent's generation), Their indoctrination includes the heavy use of addictive mood altering drugs. And their conditioned behaviour on the battle field violates many of the articles of the Geneva Convention as well as whatever moral or ethical codes they may have begun to learn before being inducted.

There is a, (Congolese I think) neighbourhood in my city which is probably the most dangerous simply because it's populated by grown-up former child soldiers who are, impoverished, drug adicted, PTSD afflicted, have no skills but killing, and know no response to conflict/distress other than lethal violence. I wish there was more to be done for them. But I think it's beyond the resources our country currently spends on social welfare, and certainly beyond the City's.

On a more superficial note since this is an anime forum. It's curious how many child soldiers there are in anime.

Key ones off the top of my head are Sosuke Sagura from Full Metal Panic and the Lead Male (I forget his name) from Gundam 00.

1574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / somewhere on earth
Offline
Posted 7/8/10

PretzelPerez wrote:

first of all their families is the one to blame in this kind of thing...... what kind of parent will allow his/her child to go to war...

but still this is the reality of life... lucky one's has something to eat and the unlucky one only has a gun and few bullet's to survive

something must be done.. but what can we do ?

this kind of thing is taking care of by the goverment.. bad sadly the goverment is not doing enough to keep does child away from war...




Note....

want to help but don't really know how


Yes you are right to a certain context..However i do not believe the government has enough hands to be able to solve this problem as majority of it is controlled by communists or people with power....


DerfelCadarn wrote:

Regrettable, but nothing new. Ignorant cretins with mediaeval thinking and their stupid ideologies or suprestitions keep on producing these child soldiers. What can be done? Weed out the dangerous ones. Line up the tribal shamans, the mad supporters of ideologies and so on and so forth.


True it is not new it has been going on for as long as there were humans and no i do not believe this has anything to do with ideologies as i mentioned on my first post this children have been brainwashed and they do not know what they are doing they think what their leaders tells them to do is correct.


TimelessLove wrote:

Now.. I don't think of brainwashing as a negative. Have I not being brainwashed that I cannot breathe on the moon?

From the top of my head:

There are around 10,000 child soldiers in Africa
The child soldiers usually begin fighting at the age 13-14, yet when people think of "child soldiers", they think of 8 years olds.
There are orphaned children in the army as well as those who were captured against their own will.

The captured children fighting against their own will: Is that not similar to drafting?
The children fighting voluntarily: are these not the future patriots of their country?
Are not terrorists like foot soldiers in a dire war?

However, I do not support child soldiers.. In fact, I'm strongly against it, as well as drafting and war patriots.


Yes brainwashing is not bad however it is the way people use it brainwashing a person to kill another person is just immoral. True they begin fighting at the age of 13-14 however they are sent for training from a very young age. And no it is not all of it is drafting for those children who are fighting against their own will it is more like they have no other choice it is either they join they become a soldier or they live a life in poverty to them military seems better than a life in poverty and not only that some of them are orphaned and picked up by the military while running away from their homes.


ShroomInferno wrote:

Either way, child soldiers, or adult soldiers, the fact that they do exist is deplorable. What can we do about it? Stop warring, and fighting over stupid things? How do we achieve that? Eradicate humanity. Maybe, it will work out.

True if humans try to stop fighting and try to understand this might stop.




Aztecnology wrote:

They end up becoming some of the most scarred people alive. I heard of a boy soldier in Africa. As he sat by a water tap at home one day after a battle, he hallucinated blood coming from it.


Exactly..


tarakelly wrote:

Just think war 1940 Japan China nasty war slaughtering whole towns. These kids could be war orphan they did what they had to survive. Think of the Japanese’s mind set 1920 to 1945. Without a full story going off half cocked. You should be mad at what going on in Africa maybe even pick up some weapons and protect the kid provide they don’t kill you first. Showing outrage and hiding behind a peace sing you are walking contradiction.----------------- paradox Where is that pain that always say Peace not war

Point taken. However Japan is a whole different story. Japan was a totalitarian country at that time due to what they believed at that time that more colonies will give them more power and more fortune. This is different in a modernized world and there are no such things as more colonies will give you more power it is money now. Africa is more on misconception and it is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT story from Japan yes obviously from what they have been thought from a young age if i were to go to protect them they might just kill me first thinking i am a enemy too. This thread was not for a peace sing it was more for what can be done to help them and how we might feel if we were them.


alupihan45 wrote:


DerfelCadarn wrote:

Regrettable, but nothing new. Ignorant cretins with mediaeval thinking and their stupid ideologies or suprestitions keep on producing these child soldiers. What can be done? Weed out the dangerous ones. Line up the tribal shamans, the mad supporters of ideologies and so on and so forth.


i think it is not limited to ideology

I have seen on TV a child assassin of a powerful clan. He became an assassin not knowing the reason behind it. He was just expecting that these clan would take care of him


Precisely they do not know what they are doing is right or wrong they believe what the elders say and do what they say.


papagolfwhiskey wrote:

Child soldiers have been an ongoing problem for a long time. At one time in western society the militarisation of our youth at least as far as training was quite common. Lord Baden-Powel founded the boy scout movement on the principal that teaching boy children the principals of these stealthy independantly operating and carefully observant soldiers would help them to grow up to be better men.

Many countries have/or had Cadet or militarised youth movements, the most infamous being the Hitler Youth. In My own country Scouting has become completely non-military and likely anti-war. And the Cadet organisations while still funded, supplied and supported by the Department of National defence, are specifically and constitutionally forbidden 'War Training' (This doesn't prevent Sea Cadets from learning Seamanship and Damage Control or Army Cadets from learning Target shooting, Orienteering, and Abseiling etc...but actual combat drills are forbidden)

The Child Soldiers the OP mentions are a different kettle of fish. Their induction is largely involuntary, their training is brutal, (It may include killing ones parents or at least members of one's parent's generation), Their indoctrination includes the heavy use of addictive mood altering drugs. And their conditioned behaviour on the battle field violates many of the articles of the Geneva Convention as well as whatever moral or ethical codes they may have begun to learn before being inducted.

There is a, (Congolese I think) neighbourhood in my city which is probably the most dangerous simply because it's populated by grown-up former child soldiers who are, impoverished, drug adicted, PTSD afflicted, have no skills but killing, and know no response to conflict/distress other than lethal violence. I wish there was more to be done for them. But I think it's beyond the resources our country currently spends on social welfare, and certainly beyond the City's.

On a more superficial note since this is an anime forum. It's curious how many child soldiers there are in anime.

Key ones off the top of my head are Sosuke Sagura from Full Metal Panic and the Lead Male (I forget his name) from Gundam 00.


Yes we have this movements here too similar to your Boy Scouts. And yes the training involved for this children is one of them has to become a sacrifice and get killed right in front of everyone. And yes drugs and smoking is a usual for this children. Yet even if it violates anything they have learnt they have no choice but to go through with it.
49101 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36
Offline
Posted 7/9/10

papagolfwhiskey wrote:

Child soldiers have been an ongoing problem for a long time. At one time in western society the militarisation of our youth at least as far as training was quite common. Lord Baden-Powel founded the boy scout movement on the principal that teaching boy children the principals of these stealthy independantly operating and carefully observant soldiers would help them to grow up to be better men.

Many countries have/or had Cadet or militarised youth movements, the most infamous being the Hitler Youth. In My own country Scouting has become completely non-military and likely anti-war. And the Cadet organisations while still funded, supplied and supported by the Department of National defence, are specifically and constitutionally forbidden 'War Training' (This doesn't prevent Sea Cadets from learning Seamanship and Damage Control or Army Cadets from learning Target shooting, Orienteering, and Abseiling etc...but actual combat drills are forbidden)

The Child Soldiers the OP mentions are a different kettle of fish. Their induction is largely involuntary, their training is brutal, (It may include killing ones parents or at least members of one's parent's generation), Their indoctrination includes the heavy use of addictive mood altering drugs. And their conditioned behaviour on the battle field violates many of the articles of the Geneva Convention as well as whatever moral or ethical codes they may have begun to learn before being inducted.

There is a, (Congolese I think) neighbourhood in my city which is probably the most dangerous simply because it's populated by grown-up former child soldiers who are, impoverished, drug adicted, PTSD afflicted, have no skills but killing, and know no response to conflict/distress other than lethal violence. I wish there was more to be done for them. But I think it's beyond the resources our country currently spends on social welfare, and certainly beyond the City's.

On a more superficial note since this is an anime forum. It's curious how many child soldiers there are in anime.

Key ones off the top of my head are Sosuke Sagura from Full Metal Panic and the Lead Male (I forget his name) from Gundam 00.




Whether voluntary or not, this is still an issue. The child solider phenomenon has been around for more centuries than most of us care to know. Ever since the first person looked around and needed an easily exploitable force that was prone to training and yielding to others cause has there been child soldiers. The problem is not stopping them from becoming child soldiers, but stopping the forces that cause them to be so.
Posted 7/9/10

halfabandaid wrote:




Whether voluntary or not, this is still an issue. The child solider phenomenon has been around for more centuries than most of us care to know. Ever since the first person looked around and needed an easily exploitable force that was prone to training and yielding to others cause has there been child soldiers. The problem is not stopping them from becoming child soldiers, but stopping the forces that cause them to be so.
Agreed, which is what I think I had outlined in my previous post.
1394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 7/9/10
The Japanese have what they call 'Bushido', the way of the warrior, wherein the sons of Military men, from a very young age, were raised for a career in soldiery, learning the art of fencing, of martial arts, &c. Indeed, this was extended to all children, the schools of Japan, from the period between Meiji to the end of WWII, more resembles Barrack and Military Facilities then Public Institutions of Learning, from academic content to clothing, probably one of the many reasons for the Japanese War Rampage in WWII. How is this at all different from using children as Soldiers?
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.